Revis in 2015 at $20 million?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Revis in 2015 at $20 million?

Say what?

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero 7m

Darrelle Revis' deal with #Patriots includes an option for 2015 at $20M, including a $12 roster bonus.

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero 9m

If #Patriots exercise option before end of 2014 league year, he'd get a $12M roster bonus April 1, 2015 and have a base of $7.5M in '15.

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer 44s

Breakdown of Revis' deal: He gets $10 million to sign, $1.5 million base salary, $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses up to 15 games for '14.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Re: Revis in 2015 at $20 million?

sorry Tfb, I just posted same thing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

sorry Tfb, I just posted same thing.

[/QUOTE]

Let's make this easy.... Just win the SB this coming season!! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Roger that!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

If the cap number is reasonable in the option and revis plays like the revis off old, I have no doubt the pats will exercise the option.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Say what?

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero 7m

Darrelle Revis' deal with #Patriots includes an option for 2015 at $20M, including a $12 roster bonus. 

Just get a long term deal done now.

[/QUOTE]

Who is Tom Pelissero? From everything I've heard and read, the Pats have the option to franchise Revis next year f they wish...which would probably put his salary at round $14mil., not twenty!

Besides, who cares about this, now? I love the fact that Revis is playing on a one year deal. Why? Because he'll be super motivated this season to once again prove that he is what he thinks he is...the league's best CB. Let's worry about 2015 in 2015.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

@ mass live:

Darrelle Revis’ contract with the Patriots is not what we thought it was.

The cornerback will still receive $12 million in 2014, but the deal also includes an option for 2015 worth $20 million, according to USA Today.

If New England chooses to exercise Revis’ option, he would receive a $12 million roster bonus on April 1, 2015, and receive a base salary of $7.5 million in 2015. If the Patriots decline to exercise the option, they would not be able to retain him with the franchise tag.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 39s

In the end, Revis’ Pats deal turns out to be a two-year deal worth $32M with a team option for $20M in 2015… which means no franchise tag

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Lets win the SB in 2014! Worry about 2015 in 2015...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer 4m

Because there's the option on Revis' deal, I believe that splits his cap hit, and makes his cap hit $6.5 million for 2014.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Based on this 2 year structure, the cap hit for Revis in 2014 is $6.5 million.  Holy hell, Belichick is awesome with the cap.  I love it!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer 1m

The per-game bonuses are counted on the cap. So Darrelle Revis' cap number for 2014 will be $7 million, with $5 million to carry into '15.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

This is actually great news...and still allows a better long term deal....

BB is a genius...now, get TB some help!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lets win the SB in 2014! Worry about 2015 in 2015...

[/QUOTE]

The truth!!!  Let's see what happens this upcoming season before we even speak about 2015!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

[QUOTE]

The per-game bonuses are counted on the cap. So Darrelle Revis' cap number for 2014 will be $7 million, with $5 million to carry into '15.

[/QUOTE]

I still think its a great deal..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Steve Smith.  i want to watch him toast talib again from the other side. I DONT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT TALIB"S INJURY. Their was nothing wrong with him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I happen to like this.  Although it removes the franchise option the Pats have control.  And if the cap impact is what you guys seem to think it is, so much the better.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I just read the contract particulars and there is a bright side to this deal, Revis is only going to cost 6.5 mil against the cap this year! That leaves the Patriots with about 12 mil in cap space before they do any juggling. The bad part of the deal is that Revis will only be here for one year based upon the option year numbers where his cap would be 25 million dollars vs 5.5 in dead money. I can do basic math and with his salary for 2015 being 20 mil added to a 25 million dollar cap hit he ain't staying here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree, brotha!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer 2m

Just so you have it in 1 place ... Revis on Patriots' cap: $7M for 2014, $25M for ’15 or $5M in dead money for ’15 if option isn’t exercised

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the additional info.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

So unless we extend him after the season we are left with 5 million in dead money?  I guess with the cap going up again and the cap relief this year that isn't so bad, but I liked the "original" deal better.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

By: Jeff Howe  

In a twist, the Patriots' contract for Darrelle Revis is actually for two years, with the second year as a club option that must be picked up by the end of the 2014 league year, according to NFL Network. At the very least, this is a way to lighten the cap hit in 2014, but it's unlikely Revis will see the second year of the deal without reworking or extending the contract in some manner.

First, here is the breakdown.

2014:

Signing bonus: $10 million

Base salary: $1.5 million

Games-played bonus: $500,000 ($33,333.33 per game played up to 15 games)

Cap hit: $7 million

2015:

Roster bonus: $12 million

Base salary: $7.5 million

Games-played bonus: $500,000 ($33,333.33 per game played up to 15 games)

Cap hit: $25 million

Notes: If the Patriots don't pick up the option, the Patriots would have $5 million in dead money against the cap in 2015, but that can be avoided by reworking the contract in the meantime. The Pats could also decline the option and franchise tag Revis (a minimum of $14.4 million in 2015 based on 120 percent of his earnings in 2014) and ultimately have him count $19.4 million against the cap in 2015 -- so long as the contract allows for Revis to be franchised, of course. It comes down to this: Revis won't play in 2015 for these original terms, but the two sides have plenty of options to work out something more beneficial for one another.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer 2m

And as I reported last night, there's no no-tag provision in Revis' deal. The catch: Tag would have to come in '16 and cost $30 million.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Revis will be 30 in 2015. I doubt any will pay him megabucks on a long term at that age.

The second year was obviously put in to structure the cap hit for the one year tryout rental. There is obviously no way the Pats go through with year 2.

If all goes well and the market is as reasonable as it should be for a 30 yo, he might be retained on a 3 year deal at a sober price.

In other words, the days of Revis greed are over. Father time and the wear and tear has put the kibosh on that.

If this works out well, look for a new 3 year deal at 25 mil to replace the current arrangement.

Sections
Shortcuts