Revis in 2015 at $20 million?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Revis in 2015 at $20 million?

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So unless we extend him after the season we are left with 5 million in dead money?  I guess with the cap going up again and the cap relief this year that isn't so bad, but I liked the "original" deal better.

[/QUOTE]

They may be trying to put some distance from the dead money of AH with this arrangement.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

They may be trying to put some distance from the dead money of AH with this arrangement.

That makes sense.  On the other hand it gives Revis a bit more leverage in the extension negotiations because he knows we are going to eat the dead money if we let him go.  It's not horrible, particularly with the way the cap is slated to increase in the next few years.  Perhaps the cap space now is worth it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

So unless we extend him after the season we are left with 5 million in dead money?  I guess with the cap going up again and the cap relief this year that isn't so bad, but I liked the "original" deal better.

Jeff Howe @jeffphowe 6m

With the cap projected to increase by another $10 million in 2015 and Hernandez coming off the books, $5M in dead money is very manageable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I think this part of the deal shows that they really wanna extend him. 

No way he plays on a 25M cap hit in 2015 give him a 3 year extension and spread money around as this deal did.

bb wants this guy long term

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

That makes sense.  On the other hand it gives Revis a bit more leverage in the extension negotiations because he knows we are going to eat the dead money if we let him go.  It's not horrible, particularly with the way the cap is slated to increase in the next few years.  Perhaps the cap space now is worth it.

[/QUOTE]

We have no problem with eating the dead money. We just want to eat it over 2 years, not one. This makes no sense to you?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Jeff Howe @jeffphowe 6m

With the cap projected to increase by another $10 million in 2015 and Hernandez coming off the books, $5M in dead money is very manageable.

[/QUOTE]

Somehow this makes no sense to pcmIV.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No way he plays on a 25M cap hit in 2015 give him a 3 year extension and spread money around as this deal did.

[/QUOTE]

Not even worried because i know they are going to sign him long term.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]By: Jeff Howe 

In a twist, the Patriots' contract for Darrelle Revis is actually for two years, with the second year as a club option that must be picked up by the end of the 2014 league year, according to NFL Network. At the very least, this is a way to lighten the cap hit in 2014, but it's unlikely Revis will see the second year of the deal without reworking or extending the contract in some manner.

First, here is the breakdown.

2014:

Signing bonus: $10 million

Base salary: $1.5 million

Games-played bonus: $500,000 ($33,333.33 per game played up to 15 games)

Cap hit: $7 million

2015:

Roster bonus: $12 million

Base salary: $7.5 million

Games-played bonus: $500,000 ($33,333.33 per game played up to 15 games)

Cap hit: $25 million

Notes: If the Patriots don't pick up the option, the Patriots would have $5 million in dead money against the cap in 2015, but that can be avoided by reworking the contract in the meantime. The Pats could also decline the option and franchise tag Revis (a minimum of $14.4 million in 2015 based on 120 percent of his earnings in 2014) and ultimately have him count $19.4 million against the cap in 2015 -- so long as the contract allows for Revis to be franchised, of course. It comes down to this: Revis won't play in 2015 for these original terms, but the two sides have plenty of options to work out something more beneficial for one another.

[/QUOTE]

Here's a cite to his contract terms which you have discussed: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/13/revis-gets-12-million-this-year-20-million-or-free-agency-next-year/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't see this. If they wanted him long term they would have signed him long term. They want to look see and then negotiate with a 30 yo after they have a year with him under their belt.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Somehow this makes no sense to pcmIV.

Doing your best Rusty impression?  I specifically mentioned the salary cap going up in one of my posts. Clearly I am in over my head.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Makes sense, limits how much his cap hit is this year and what it does is opens up conversation for an extension. It's basically taking a 1 yr deal and giving them a starting place for an extension while spreading that 1 year over two. The question is who else do they plan on signing? The only reason to split that money into two years (because they aren't giving him $20mil next year) is because they need the cap room to sign someone else. So who would that be?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Essentially a one year deal with high sal and relatvely low cap hit. Plus he can't be franchised next year.  They should have ~10M on cap space without doing anything else.  

Thay could alawys work out a real L-T deal if they wanted to. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The amount of room New England is about to have open next season is close to 40+ million.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

The amount of room New England is about to have open next season is close to 40+ million.

[/QUOTE]

So once again, BB is the MASTER!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If he is the Revis of old they will extend him, this is a tryout for both sides going forward.  We just signed the best corner in pro football with a very reasonable cap hit.

Boy our GM sux doesn't he...?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If he is the Revis of old they will extend him, this is a tryout for both sides going forward.  We just signed the best corner in pro football with a very reasonable cap hit.

Boy our GM sux doesn't he...?

[/QUOTE]

He finally brough somebody in to help him stop doing stupid shyte.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Really?  How do you figure this?  Mankins +$500k, Mayo +$3.5 mill, Gronk +$3 mill, Amendola +$1.2 mill, Arrington +$1 mill, extend Solder and DMC, I guess if you add in the Hernandez $ and No wilfork, that's $18 mill savings there.  But I still dont see $40 mill considering the player increases and extensions of DMC and Solder.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah like bringing Randy Moss, Welker, Corey Dillon and the rest to New England, winning the AFCEast every year, all he does is stupid shyte.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah like bringing Randy Moss, Welker, Corey Dillon and the rest to New England, winning the AFCEast every year, all he does is stupid shyte.

[/QUOTE]

I was referring to free agency specifically. I have stated numerous times that his trades for badboy players have been a strength. His knack for tapping into the inner football player of those types is remarkable. It's just drafting and FA signing where he has been lacking. And those are the bread and butter of the team building tools.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

Really?  How do you figure this?  Mankins +$500k, Mayo +$3.5 mill, Gronk +$3 mill, Amendola +$1.2 mill, Arrington +$1 mill, extend Solder and DMC, I guess if you add in the Hernandez $ and No wilfork, that's $18 mill savings there.  But I still dont see $40 mill considering the player increases and extensions of DMC and Solder.

[/QUOTE]

Wilfork and Hernandez ate up a ton of cap along with a ton of dead money that comes off the books next season. Minus Revis, the 2015 defensive spending drops to 30 million. It's at 50 million now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I forgot the Cap went up, it was 40 million before the cap went up. Not sure how much it will be with this year's cap this sit says 57 million.

http://musketfire.com/2014/03/12/look-new-england-patriots-future-salary-cap/

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't see this. If they wanted him long term they would have signed him long term. They want to look see and then negotiate with a 30 yo after they have a year with him under their belt.

[/QUOTE]

This is the scenario that makes the most sense to me with respect to why the deal was structured the way it was.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's as cold blooded negotiator as the Pats...but his real leverage is HOW GOOD HE IS!!!... it's hard not to give top $$$ to a HOF player in his prime! I'd do it!