Revis situation could benefit the Pats!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Revis situation could benefit the Pats!

With reports of Darrell Revis possibly missing the beginning of the regular season, and maybe the entire season.  This situation could benefit the Pats big time.  Revis is probably the only corner in the NFL that can shut down Moss one on one.  The Pats play the Jets in N.J. in week 2.  Then the Jets play the Phins in Miami with Brandon Marshall in week 3.  The also play the Bills the week after, but Revis or no Revis the Jets should have no problem getting a win.  If the Jets start out the season with 2 division losses after 3 weeks, there chances of winning the AFC east are slim with the Pats and Phins in the same division.

While the Jets have added quite a bit of fire power on offense(holmes and L.T.), I still see the Jets strength on the defensive side of the ball.  Sanchez just hasn't shown me anything in his rookie season that he can carry Jets without a strong D and running game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

Re: Revis situation could benefit the Pats!

I guess you'd rather not play the opposition at full strength in fear of you losing the game? It's the same feeling as being happy that a player is out because of an injury. I want Wes Welker in the game. You don't seem to want Revis in..why? Gives you a better chance to win? C'mon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

In Response to Re: Revis situation could benefit the Pats!:
    I have a real hard time believing that the Jets don't make him an offer b4 the season begins.. just doesn't make any sense... As much as I want to see him sit out the season (or at the very least the first 2 games)... I just don't see it happening.. they will pay or he will relent... one or the other.
    Posted by lynnluvspats

I also have a hard time believing the Jets and Revis don't come to some agreement by the start of the season.  But at this point all I can go by is what is reported.  And so far all reports are Revis not playin for the Jets anytime soon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I guess you'd rather not play the opposition at full strength in fear of you losing the game? It's the same feeling as being happy that a player is out because of an injury. I want Wes Welker in the game. You don't seem to want Revis in..why? Gives you a better chance to win? C'mon.
    Posted by RipFace

I take a Pats win anyway I can get it!  I'm not saying the Pats couldn't be the Jets with Revis, but without Revis I really like the Pats chances at the start of the season.  Rex may be hesitant to unleash his blitz packages without Revis in the backfield against Brady.

And while I'm a huge Wes Welker fan, I see Revis as far more important to the Jets than Welker is for the Pats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecodwilly. Show capecodwilly's posts

With or without Revis, I don't see any team shutting down our passing game. The only way that happens is if our offensive line can't do the job of protecting Brady. We have so much talent in our receiving core and now for the first time in a long time our Tightends can't be ignored. I'm sure that BB knows how, and intends to use them. I think we will see a lot of high scoring games this year. We've a couple of guys like Edelman and Hernandez that are very flexible as to where they play, as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tate as our starting 3rd wideout. I saw them all in practice today scrimmaging against NO. It wasn't full contact, but they ran nice routes, getting good separation and they were all very sure handed. Of course Moss looked very good and Welker was quick and making cuts and getting open. TB looked very comfortable and was accurate on almost all of his throws.  So Revis, though a factor, shouldn't be the deciding factor, imo, against the Jets. They won't shut us down. It will come down to how our defense does against their offense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I agree I want all of you there. I want to see LT cry again. I like revis but I think he's getting a little greedy. I dont wish injury on any of the Jets, just an old fashioned beat down.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

I don't think we be a problem anyway.  I note that we have 6 foot plus tight ends and receivers, and I am guessing Bill B has factored Revis into his offseason planning.  I am guessing if Moss can't shake him, we just go elsewhere with the ball, and that should fix the Revis issue.  Sure if he isn't around it is easier, I kind of think we will be a bit more versatile, less laser focused on two receivers, than last year.  Revis Island will be a moot point, we will just bypass it and take the continent!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

In Response to Re: Revis situation could benefit the Pats! : from what i've heard, the Jets did make him an offer but Revis wants to be the highest paid corner in the world after his one good season.  i don't think the Jets will pay him that even though they did all that ballwashing last season.  Revis might lower his asking price some but i see things getting more contentious.  the guy has an ego now.
    Posted by Mike-J-D
    ..unfortunate but true. I heard his agent called the Jets "liars" Rex surely puffed him up and is now paying the price, but Al Davis is no help in this either with the stupid contract he gave out. The Jets  offered $12mil per year but I'm not sure what was guaranteed in that. At this point I am not very optomistic so they'll have to rework their schemes under the assumption that Revis is not gonna play

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

First 

I'm glad the NY Jets are finally making a stance somewhere. This is the only sport where you can have a single breakout year and demand $100 million dollars. Until they start loosing and they there is no other way, they're not giving revis what he wants and revis isn't going to comeback for something small period.

And without revis NY Jets are very much beatable, don't get me wrong they are still going to be a solid defense but who's going to cover 81 like revis hmmmm no one.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

check this out

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/08/jets-darrelle-revis-camps-turn-nasty-in-negotiations-could-be-40m-apart-in-talks/1

Revis is ridiculous.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

I don't think we be a problem anyway.  I note that we have 6 foot plus tight ends and receivers, and I am guessing Bill B has factored Revis into his offseason planning.  I am guessing if Moss can't shake him, we just go elsewhere with the ball, and that should fix the Revis issue.  Sure if he isn't around it is easier, I kind of think we will be a bit more versatile, less laser focused on two receivers, than last year.  Revis Island will be a moot point, we will just bypass it and take the continent!
    Posted by TroyBrown80

Problem is that Revis can cover the tall guys, ask moss, so your tall tight end point is moot.  As for the contract offer this is what i have heard from numerous reports.

Jets offered 120MM over 10 years and the agents countered with 160MM over 10 years.  That led Woody Johnson to say that it doesnt look good for Revis coming to camp.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

revis didnt shut down moss... as I remember it...he covered him just like all corners are paid to do some have more success than others...you could put revis in the former category

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Based on the reports Revis will not be signed for the opener.  It might still happen but....  Yes, I think Revis has gotten way ahead of himself but the Leon Washington affair is the example that is driving his behavior.  Last year Washington was in the same position that Revis is and he wanted a deal.  He held out a day or two then reported and the JETS said they would take care of him.  So he plays and contributes, does the team thing and then breaks his leg at or after mid-season.  This spring the JETS trade the guy, no new contract, no nothing but don't let the door hit your behind on the way out.  That is what Revis sees.  It has nothing to do with Ryan and all to do with Woody Johnson, Mike Tannenbaum and the JETS as an organization in a historical sense. They have done this over and over and over through the years, along with moves like the Brett Farve debacle.  Many teams do these kinds of things but the JETS are in the New York media glare, which magnifies everything and if you think the players there just ignore it, you're nuts. The Revis hold out is a distraction for the JETS, big time and as time goes on it gets more distracting each day.

As for LT, that guy is done, wait and see. Sorry JESTIES....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Very interesting how public the negotiations are compared to Pats/Mankins or even the Chargers with their hold outs.  Although Revis is certainly greedy, Woody Johnson sounds ridiculous on the radio trying to defend Jets stance.  Let the GM do the talking, stay above the fray.  Haven't heard a peep from Kraft regarding Mankins who tried to make a public feud early in process. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

revis didnt shut down moss... as I remember it...he covered him just like all corners are paid to do some have more success than others...you could put revis in the former category
    Posted by jcour382

try being objective.  look at his stats in his games vs the jets.  Rusty will tell you that he had help because he say Rhodes in the picture when Revis picked off a pass for moss but then again, I see dbs in pictures when WRs catch tds.  Being 2 steps away doesnt make you a good cb or safety. look at the numbers, they dont lie.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

pretty sure that eli and payton manning, john elway, and dan marino had bad rookie years.  Not comparing Sanchize to them but I saw enough flashes from him to feel good about the Jets future at QB.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jazzpelli. Show jazzpelli's posts

Posted by RipFace

hardly the same as an injury....this has all the makings of what we would expect to happen to the jets, too self-centered to actually care about winning.  Bad team chemistry effects the game.  You want paper matchups, go play madden.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Revis situation could benefit the Pats! : I take a Pats win anyway I can get it!  I'm not saying the Pats couldn't be the Jets with Revis, but without Revis I really like the Pats chances at the start of the season.  Rex may be hesitant to unleash his blitz packages without Revis in the backfield against Brady. And while I'm a huge Wes Welker fan, I see Revis as far more important to the Jets than Welker is for the Pats.
    Posted by Grogan77

Grogan I have to emphatically disagree with your notion that Revis is more important then Wes Welker.

Revis is a cornerback. The most he can do is take away one weapon from the offense. This is a simple game. If the defense can take away one side of the field then you simply throw it to the other side of the field. One poster said it best that when Revis played Moss well(and he absolutely had help in both games with a safety over the top) then Welker steps in with like 15 catches for almost 200 hundred yards. Now I am not down playing the importance of having a shut down corner but lots of team win playoff games and Superbowls with just a good balanced defense as well. As in 2 or 3 above average corners.  Which can also tell you I think the Jets would be complete fools to pay him a ransom.

Now Welker is one of a kind. His ability to take punishment and go across the middle while almost always making the catch coupled with his ability to consistently get open on almost every play makes him one of the best wrs in the game. Over 330 receptions in 3 seasons? Welker is probably the second most important player on the Pats team. He is a safety valve and one of the tougher guys in the league. Take him over a dominant Corner any day.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

In Response to Re: Revis situation could benefit the Pats! : Grogan I have to emphatically disagree with your notion that Revis is more important then Wes Welker. Revis is a cornerback. The most he can do is take away one weapon from the offense. This is a simple game. If the defense can take away one side of the field then you simply throw it to the other side of the field. One poster said it best that when Revis played Moss well(and he absolutely had help in both games with a safety over the top) then Welker steps in with like 15 catches for almost 200 hundred yards. Now I am not down playing the importance of having a shut down corner but lots of team win playoff games and Superbowls with just a good balanced defense as well. As in 2 or 3 above average corners.  Which can also tell you I think the Jets would be complete fools to pay him a ransom. Now Welker is one of a kind. His ability to take punishment and go across the middle while almost always making the catch coupled with his ability to consistently get open on almost every play makes him one of the best wrs in the game. Over 330 receptions in 3 seasons? Welker is probably the second most important player on the Pats team. He is a safety valve and one of the tougher guys in the league. Take him over a dominant Corner any day.
    Posted by TrueChamp

I'm not downplaying the importance of Welker for the Pats.  My point is that the Jets success last season was their ability to rush the passer on blitz schemes while leaving Revis in single coverage against opposing offenses #1 WR.  If Revis doesn't suit up, the Jets will either have to change their defensive gameplan or get burned.  Sanchez can't win in a shootout, last season shown he's prone to throwing many picks.

The Pats have a very solid replacement for Welker right now in Edelman.  The only two players I can see on the Pats roster that aren't replacable is Moss and of course Brady. 

Sections
Shortcuts