Revis to Bucs Trade

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Revis to Bucs Trade

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Beyond ridiculous; I suggest you recheck his #s and film. Some say  he was the greatest DB ever. While that may be premature. he's a lock for the HOF if he should return even 90% of what he was.

Those people are dumb.  Sanders was a better DB.  Why?  Because he had the coverage ability and was electric with the ball in his hands.  Guy had 9 INT for TD and 9 return TDs in his career.  He put the fear in offenses because of his ability to take it to the house.  Revis is a great player, but he is overrated if people think he is the best DB ever.

Revis has IMO similar coverage ability to Sanders, plus, unlike Sanders, is/was a notorious run stopper. As far as him being the greatest ever, I agree that's a little much; think Tunnell, Adderley, Wehrli, Haynes, & (Stick-em) Hayes

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Beyond ridiculous; I suggest you recheck his #s and film. Some say  he was the greatest DB ever. While that may be premature. he's a lock for the HOF if he should return even 90% of what he was.

Those people are dumb.  Sanders was a better DB.  Why?  Because he had the coverage ability and was electric with the ball in his hands.  Guy had 9 INT for TD and 9 return TDs in his career.  He put the fear in offenses because of his ability to take it to the house.  Revis is a great player, but he is overrated if people think he is the best DB ever.

Exactly. It's a NY arrogance.   Also, if Stevie Johnson abuses you with Fitzpatrick throwing the ball, you aren't the best DB ever.

It's a NY thing.  They want so bad to be noticed and keep up with the Giants as the lead dog in NY, they'll throw anything at the wall, hoping it sticks.

Revis then fed off it, used to his advantage, then started holding out, grabbing hammies, getting an attitude and blowing out his ACL.

This guy is a HOF DB and one of the best ever? Really? That's insulting to actual HOF DBs.

It makes me appreciate someone like Law a lot more, too.  Revis isn't even on the Law level yet in terms of impact or consistency/staying on the field, and hasn't shown up in big games, mostly because Revis's salary has made it hard for the Jets to try to complete building their team from 2010-2012, and into 2013.

The Jets fans were warned, but they just wanted to ride this ridiculous premise of "Revis is the best player ever" rhetoric for attention and attention only.

Arrogance? Perhaps. However, you mean like Brady (Not you) widely considered in PATS-land as the no-contest greatest QB ever? Couldn't they at least say he was one of the greatest and leave it at that? That the PATS are the greatest team in football history, Packers, Steelers, 49ers, Colts, Dolphins, Bears not-withstanding?

BTW, you think the experts think Law  is better? Do you have any links of this ilk? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Someone said DBs, which includes Safeties.  He's not even top 10 CBs ever.   It's such a classic NY Jets fan desperation "look at us!" type of statement. lol

He reminds me a lot of Law, but  he's more like an Aneas Williams type.  Not big, not small, but consistently very good all around.

You're right; throw in Lott, Shell, J. Robinson, Krause, Wood, Wilson, Reed. And on the CB end, I forgot LeBeau. I may have forgotten a few others.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

IMO, Revis is an excellent corner and probably, when healthy, at least in the conversaiton for best in the game today.  I agree that the hype out of NY has a lot to do with how he's perceived both positively and negatively.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Exactly. It's a NY arrogance.   Also, if Stevie Johnson abuses you with Fitzpatrick throwing the ball, you aren't the best DB ever.

It's a NY thing.  They want so bad to be noticed and keep up with the Giants as the lead dog in NY, they'll throw anything at the wall, hoping it sticks.

Revis then fed off it, used to his advantage, then started holding out, grabbing hammies, getting an attitude and blowing out his ACL.

This guy is a HOF DB and one of the best ever? Really? That's insulting to actual HOF DBs.

It makes me appreciate someone like Law a lot more, too.  Revis isn't even on the Law level yet in terms of impact or consistency/staying on the field, and hasn't shown up in big games, mostly because Revis's salary has made it hard for the Jets to try to complete building their team from 2010-2012, and into 2013.

The Jets fans were warned, but they just wanted to ride this ridiculous premise of "Revis is the best player ever" rhetoric for attention and attention only.

Arrogance? Perhaps. However, you mean like Brady (Not you) widely considered in PATS-land as the no-contest greatest QB ever? Couldn't they at least say he was oneof the greatest and leave it at that? That the PATS are the greatest team in football history, Packers, Steelers, 49ers, Colts, Dolphins, Bears not-withstanding?

BTW, you think the experts think Law  is better? Do you have any links of this ilk? 

What do I need links for?  I go by facts.  Law's progression in the NFL (arguably in a worse situation with the entire coaching staff ripped out from underneath and worseneed just 2 years into his career), is as good or better than Revis's.

Start throwing in the idea, that Law got better and better as his career went, peaking from 1999-2004, and it's beyond arrogant by anyone, including you, to discount that resume and pretend 4 full seasons from Revis and now SB appearances now puts Revis's resume above Law's.

Also, Law changed games. He was a classic gamer. Revis has never really done anything great against elite QBs.

Ever notice that?  He gets a pick 6 against back up QBs like McCown from Jax and it's some kind of a legendary moment for Jets fans. lol

For whatever reason, the media loves to crown one newer or trendy up and coming CB as the bestest. It happened with Bailey, then it happened with Revis.  2 years from now, it will be someone else.

Partly Valid; except, once again, you need to recheck what Revis has done. And Elite QBs wouldn't dare test him. The only time I saw him burned was vs the Pats; with a bad hammy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Someone said DBs, which includes Safeties.  He's not even top 10 CBs ever.   It's such a classic NY Jets fan desperation "look at us!" type of statement. lol

He reminds me a lot of Law, but  he's more like an Aneas Williams type.  Not big, not small, but consistently very good all around.

You're right; throw in Lott, Shell, J. Robinson, Krause, Wood, Wilson, Reed. And on the CB end, I forgot LeBeau. I may have forgotten a few others.

I noticed you name a lot older players.    Nothing wrong with that as I name those, too, but I noticed you do that a lot.  You must be old. lol

Adderly

Lane

Blount

Haynes

Darrell Green

Sanders

Ty Law (IMO, he's a HOFer) - Call me a homer all you want, but 3 rings, huge, gamechanging playoff plays and the overall consistency and high end play for 10-12 years is a HOF player. He did everything well, too.

These are the names that I would point to in terms of greats.  I have mentioned many other names like Lester Hayes, Don Griffin, Eric Wright, Derrick Ross, Albert Lewis, Hanford Dixon, Frank Minnifield, Aneas Williams, Law, Champ Bailey, Ronde Barber, etc, in the last 25-30 years that make up this sort of secondary elite tier.

Like, they had really good long careers at CB and were elite in their eras, but I am not sure if they are HOF caliber names.   You could make an argument for Aneas Williams and maybe Champ Bailey in that group.

But, Revis is in this list right now? No way.  Totally disrespectful to even a guy like ROnde Barber who has had a fantastic career and could be considered as a HOFer before someone like Revis, at least for right now.

I forgot Lane, Blount, Green, & Sanders, Agree with the others as well. As far as Revis & the HOF; we shall see.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Arrogance? Perhaps. However, you mean like Brady (Not you) widely considered in PATS-land as the no-contest greatest QB ever? Couldn't they at least say he was oneof the greatest and leave it at that? That the PATS are the greatest team in football history, Packers, Steelers, 49ers, Colts, Dolphins, Bears not-withstanding?

What do I need links for?  I go by facts.  Law's progression in the NFL (arguably in a worse situation with the entire coaching staff ripped out from underneath and worseneed just 2 years into his career), is as good or better than Revis's.

Start throwing in the idea, that Law got better and better as his career went, peaking from 1999-2004, and it's beyond arrogant by anyone, including you, to discount that resume and pretend 4 full seasons from Revis and now SB appearances now puts Revis's resume above Law's.

Also, Law changed games. He was a classic gamer. Revis has never really done anything great against elite QBs.

Ever notice that?  He gets a pick 6 against back up QBs like McCown from Jax and it's some kind of a legendary moment for Jets fans. lol

For whatever reason, the media loves to crown one newer or trendy up and coming CB as the bestest. It happened with Bailey, then it happened with Revis.  2 years from now, it will be someone else.

Partly Valid; except, once again, you need to recheck what Revis has done. And Elite QBs wouldn't dare test him. The only time I saw him burned was vs the Pats; with a bad hammy.

Dude, come on. That's the only time you saw Revis beat? Come on. This is what I mean right here.

Stevie Johnson notoriously has Revis's number.  Fact is, Revis looks great when up against an average or bad QB.  Of course those QBs try to avoid him. 

Up UNTIL the Pats play; my mistake. And, as a general rule, ALL QBs try to avoid him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Interesting all around!

The Ryans - whole family - are very good defensive minds but none of them should be/have been HC material. Ego and immaturity in an DC is something you can live with, in a HC it is deadly.

Jets - great job getting good value for Revis. The original speculation of return they would get was wildly off base, but a 1st and 4th/3rd conditional is a fair return from a player they had to get rid of (because they wouldn't be able to sign.)

TB - Fair value in terms of draft picks for a player they obviously feel confident will return from injury strong, and who is when health the best CB playing today. As far as the contract ... too much money in the current market. Sorry but you just can't pay that much for any player that is not a QB under the current cap. Throws the balance on the team out of whack. The fact that none of it is guaranteed is the only upside, but if they cut him anytime in the next three years it means they gave a high first and another draft pick for a player that wasn't that good - if they haven't cut him, they have paid $48M for the three years.

Timing of the trade - Jets - Great! TB - either their GM knows something we do not and they are SB bound in 2013 or they just gave up a lot of draft capital and $16M to be at best a WC team in 2013. The only other reason to make this trade was because you feared competing against other teams for a FA next year. And do they really think there was any other team that was going to outbid $16M/year?! Yes they might been forced to include a bit of guaranteed money, but presumably that would not have been as big an issue for a player coming off a health 2013 season.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coco40038. Show Coco40038's posts

It's funny how Espn was showing a clip on Revis and how good he is and the clip that they show is him with a hand full of deions jersey. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coco40038. Show Coco40038's posts

Don't get me wrong Revis is good but overrated Imo. Could care less if he stayed the jets are the jets. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Dude, come on. That's the only time you saw Revis beat? Come on. This is what I mean right here.

Stevie Johnson notoriously has Revis's number.  Fact is, Revis looks great when up against an average or bad QB.  Of course those QBs try to avoid him. 

Up UNTIL the Pats play; my mistake. And, as a general rule, ALL QBs try to avoid him.

Somewhat false.  Obviously, when you have an All Pro player like that, you want to know where he is on the field, etc, but it's not true no one throws to the right side during games.

Also, the Jets D was still bad against the run last year and good against the pass, with little to no real change defensively.

The only main difference is that the Jets were trailing in many games last year, mostly due to the god awful Mark Sanchez.

Anyway, he's a top 3 CB in the league. I have no idea why this isn't good enough. Trying to crown players "the best" before they really play out a career is ridiculous.

Agreed

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Are Jets looking for the next Ken O'Brien, Johnny Mitchell, or Vernon Gholston with their future picks? Maybe the next Browning Nagle in the 4th round.,

My guess Revis is a good player on mediocre team that pays him franchise QB money. I'm really glad Belichick has never spent this exorbitant a sum on a DB. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

Revis got traded? Only kidding.Big Deal bring in the next guy.He was another malcontent.Good riddance.

So how is everybody today my horribly accented neighbors from the North?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

Why are we talking about the Jets in a pats Forum?It's like being in the sox Forum and everybody talks about the Yanks?

Sections
Shortcuts