Revis trade and Jets cap hit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

Re: Revis trade and Jets cap hit

cab availability??!! If you can't get a cab ,take a subway or walk!You sound too soft for NYC-best you stick with Chi-town.

hey jr- I thought for sure you would chime in with something stupid about the Jets here in the pats forum and I was right again.

So much talk and worry about the Jets when the pats just aint what they used to be.Take care of your organization that is now bleeding $$ to the old QB Brady,has drunk players and jailbirds.

Whatever the Jets do with Revis they do with Revis-it will all work out in the end.What the pats did with Brady will turn out to hurt the pats in the end.Why-well Brady played himself out of MVP contention late in the year and looked just horrible against the Ravens.Which begs the question that nobody ever answers...

Do old QB's get better with time or do they just get older?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

this is erroneous. the $18m was paid already as it was due the first day of that new year. That is why Revis with a $16.5 2 year AAV was "the highest paid CB" over Namdi...the bonus was not ammortized over the length of the contract.

The balance of the contract voids after this year if Revis does not hold out

Stop playing dumb.  Whether or not Revis has been paid the bonus is immaterial to what the cap hit is.  Do you really think the Jets incurred all 18.5 million as a cap hit in one year?  They paid it all up front, but they added the extra voidable years on the contract so that they could spread out the cap hit over those years. Those cap hits persist if he leaves and are compressed into one season once he goes.  Christ even the guy from nyjetscap.com who you cite all the time knows this:

http://overthecap.com/looking-at-the-contract-of-darrelle-revis/

You are wrong.  Just admit it.

the bonus was paid up front. yes, it was spread out over the length of the contract for cap reasons, but if the contract is voidable in the last 3 years (it is), similar to the TEbow bonus, the new team trading for Revis does not assume the bonus due.

Revis has the money in the bank...there would be no more money due. It was not ammortized, it was paid in full.

Any team trading for Revis would not owe him any bonus money, only this years straight salary. The next 3 years salary have been voided...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

Sanchez is a young guy and Brady is considered an old guy. Once again a Jets players  is being discussed in a pats forum??

And my question remains unanswered -How NEnglady of all of you.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to pcmIV's comment:

this is erroneous. the $18m was paid already as it was due the first day of that new year. That is why Revis with a $16.5 2 year AAV was "the highest paid CB" over Namdi...the bonus was not ammortized over the length of the contract.

The balance of the contract voids after this year if Revis does not hold out

Stop playing dumb.  Whether or not Revis has been paid the bonus is immaterial to what the cap hit is.  Do you really think the Jets incurred all 18.5 million as a cap hit in one year?  They paid it all up front, but they added the extra voidable years on the contract so that they could spread out the cap hit over those years. Those cap hits persist if he leaves and are compressed into one season once he goes.  Christ even the guy from nyjetscap.com who you cite all the time knows this:

http://overthecap.com/looking-at-the-contract-of-darrelle-revis/

You are wrong.  Just admit it.

the bonus was paid up front. yes, it was spread out over the length of the contract for cap reasons, but if the contract is voidable in the last 3 years (it is), similar to the TEbow bonus, the new team trading for Revis does not assume the bonus due.

Revis has the money in the bank...there would be no more money due. It was not ammortized, it was paid in full.

Any team trading for Revis would not owe him any bonus money, only this years straight salary. The next 3 years salary have been voided...

No one is talking about the bonus. We're talking about the cap hit if he stays or goes. You're wrong. As usual.

Admit it.

I have been right on everything cap related that you have dared to venture into...why would you think that any team aquiring Revis would be responsable for his bonus against their cap? Revis was paid his bonus. It is on the Jets. The aquiring team does not also aquire this liability.

The aquiring team is liable to pay Revis this years salary and go forward salary (if they come to an agreement). There is no cap hit that travels with Revis if he is traded. This was the exact same issue with Tebow.

I understand this is over your head, but to call me a liar because you dont get it is very Rusty of you.

Repeat so even Rusty gets it...if Revis is traded, the team aquiring him does not assume his cap liability for his bonus that has already been paid. There is no cap liability for trading for Revis.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

please sight a single instance in the history of the NFL salary cap where a traded player bonus is assumed by the team trading for that player. there was a hint that the Broncos may have tried to recover some of Tebows bonus, but nothing ever publicly came of it.

Please, enlighten me, tell me of 1 single instance of this ever happening?

I am not calling anyone a liar, nor any name. I am simply stating that who over disagrees is incorrect.

The bonus paid and resulting cap hit stay with the Jets. The team trading for Revis assumes no cap hit, other than his go forward salary.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

rkarp and the king- Would you ninnies give it a rest already please. The rest of us want to discuss patriots football in the patriots football forum not any other team.

You two should reread your posts to one another.You sound like two chicks arguing over make up for goodness sake.

Now back to patriots football and the never ending question of -Do old Qb's get better with time or do they just get older!?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to JRABBB's comment:

King-Tsk tsk tsk-Your jealousy is raging from your written words. I get it. You see there are two types of Americans. You are either from NYC or from everywhere else. Welcome to from everywhere else!

If you don't like NYC then sadly you'll just never get NYC.

New York New York- Sounds so nice they named it twice!

So do you want Spygate,players going to jail and making drunken fools of themselves in public,Brady strafing the pats for 27 million or do you want to stick with the Jets my obsessed NY Jets fan??

hey king- repeat after me-J-E-T-S Jets Jets

I see you are all set for another GREAT season with the Jests. Good luck with that!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

rkarp you are so full of crap it is amazing.  YOU claimed originally that the Jets could trade Revis without any cap implications for them.  Everyone else correctly pointed out that the Jets will incur dead money from trading him.  Now you are putting up a straw man claiming we are saying the acquiring team will eat the cap hit.  It is the Jets who will eat the cap hit from his bonus.  Jesus.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Rkarp.  First you came into this thread and said.

The Jets owe Revis $6m, there is no dead money. The Jets cannot trade Revis until the official start of the 2013 season (March 12th I believe)

The Jets can trade Revis and have zero financial obligation to him. The Jets can let Revis play out the year, pay him his $6m, and let him walk away in free agency, getting nothing in return.

The issue with Revis is resigning him. There is no dead money.

Now you are calling us all dumb and saying

Revis was paid his bonus. It is on the Jets. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Learn the game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Dead Money is specific to cap amanagement issues and has nothing to do with actually paying a player money. It is specifically bonus money that the player has already been paid, but for management purposes in calculating 'salary cap' it has been assigned equally to each year of the player's contract. In Revis' case the money was 18M that was fully paid 2 years ago, but which was 'accounted' for cap purposes equally to each year of the contract (3M) per year. So the accounting has been completed for the first two years 2011 and 2012, but that still leaves 12M to be assigned to the cap calculations. 

No one is paying this money to Revis because he already received all of it in 2011 - the Jets already wrote the check and Revis has already banked the money.

The problem in the NFL (and every team deals with this to one degree or another) is that if you trade a player to another team the 'accounting' for all that bonus money already paid is not transferred with the player but stays with the team that paid it. So if the Jets trade Revis this year they will have to account for the bonus money immediately (they can spread it between this year and next) and if they don't trade him and Revis voids the last three years of his contract after this year the Jets still have to account for the remaining three years 'accounting' of the bonus next year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

First of all, I am not calling any of you dumb except for Rusty. He is dumb, and has no understanding of the cap.

I have learned the game. The JEts, nor any other team that trades for Revis, would owe Revis a single penny other than his salary this year. HIS BONUS HAS ALREADY BEEN PAID TO HIM.  If Revis is traded, they owe him zero, zilch.

Revis bonus of $18 million (like Bradys bonus) was paid in 1 lump sum, not spread out over his 4 year contract (or at the time 7 year contract, of which the last 3 years voided)

Dead money is money paid out that year to a player that is not on the team (Ocho, Fanene)

If Revis is traded, he is not owed any money. The Jets would incur his ammortized bonus number as a cap hit only, THEY WOULD NOT PAY THAT MONEY TO REVIS, IT HAS ALREADY BEEN PAID. The team that aquires Revis in a trade, would not be on the hook for any amount of money other than his salary...

I say again, cite 1 instance of any player traded, where the team aquiring that player incured and financial obligation? (aside from Tebow where we really dont know what may have gone down behind closed doors)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

The key saliant point is that Revis is darn near untradable because he'll be a headache no matter where he goes.

Exactly

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

and now for the facts.

Revis signed a contract as follows;

2010: $7.5 million base salary, no signing bonus
    2011: $18 million option bonus (due on the first day of the first league year after 2010, accounting for the chance of a lockout), $7 million base salary
    2012: $7.5 million base salary (guaranteed for injury)
    2013: $6 million base salary (guaranteed for skill)

In the first 2 years, Revis realized $32.5 making him the highest paid CB in football.

Revis was paid in 2013 $7.5m because his season was guaranteed for injury

Revis salary for 2013 is $6m. If Revis does not hold out, his contract for 2014, 15, 16 voids, making him a free agent.

The Jets owe Revis $6m, there is no dead money. The Jets cannot trade Revis until the official start of the 2013 season (March 12th I believe)

The Jets can trade Revis and have zero financial obligation to him. The Jets can let Revis play out the year, pay him his $6m, and let him walk away in free agency, getting nothing in return.

The issue with Revis is resigning him. There is no dead money.

When the dust settles, either with the Jets or another team, the media will announce that Revis has signed a contract for $100 million dollars, of which he will realize maybe $50-$60 million of it.

In the first 2 years, Revis realized $32.5 making him the highest paid CB in football.

Yup, he got exactly what wanted and it still wasn'tenough.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Yet another thread about the New York Jets on the NE patriots football forum!!???

It's like being in the redsox forum with all the threads about the Mighty New York Yankees.

I get a strong sense of Napoleanic Syndrome going on in here...again.Poor poor beantown..always a bridesmaid and never a bride.

Obsess much?

So how are ya today my horribly accented neighbors from the North?!

Idiotic post. Remember where you are troll.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gogogopats. Show gogogopats's posts

First of all, I am not calling any of you dumb except for Rusty. He is dumb, and has no understanding of the cap.

I have learned the game. The JEts, nor any other team that trades for Revis, would owe Revis a single penny other than his salary this year. HIS BONUS HAS ALREADY BEEN PAID TO HIM.  If Revis is traded, they owe him zero, zilch.

Revis bonus of $18 million (like Bradys bonus) was paid in 1 lump sum, not spread out over his 4 year contract (or at the time 7 year contract, of which the last 3 years voided)

Dead money is money paid out that year to a player that is not on the team (Ocho, Fanene)

If Revis is traded, he is not owed any money. The Jets would incur his ammortized bonus number as a cap hit only, THEY WOULD NOT PAY THAT MONEY TO REVIS, IT HAS ALREADY BEEN PAID. The team that aquires Revis in a trade, would not be on the hook for any amount of money other than his salary...

I say again, cite 1 instance of any player traded, where the team aquiring that player incured and financial obligation? (aside from Tebow where we really dont know what may have gone down behind closed doors)

Isn't this what the OP was pointing out? You said there would be no dead money, but they do. Am i missing something here?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

King-Tsk tsk tsk-Your jealousy is raging from your written words. I get it. You see there are two types of Americans. You are either from NYC or from everywhere else. Welcome to from everywhere else!

If you don't like NYC then sadly you'll just never get NYC.

New York New York- Sounds so nice they named it twice!

So do you want Spygate,players going to jail and making drunken fools of themselves in public,Brady strafing the pats for 27 million or do you want to stick with the Jets my obsessed NY Jets fan??

hey king- repeat after me-J-E-T-S Jets Jets

Jets just make fools of themselves on the field.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Wth are you talking about. Dead money is a salary cap charge incurred by a player no longer on the team.  If we cut Brady after we paid bis signing bonus would you seriously argue we had no dead money because we already paid it.  Of course not.  What is relevant to the team is the salary cap charges.  You were wrong and keep digging yourself deeper.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to MoreRings' comment:

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

The key saliant point is that Revis is darn near untradable because he'll be a headache no matter where he goes.

Exactly

And the best part is if he is traded he leaves a 12 mil dollar legacy for 2013 with the Jet's.

Brilliant management!

Sections
Shortcuts