Revis:I want to win

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Revis:I want to win

"Revis: I joined Patriots because I'm all about winning"

Darrelle Revis summed up his motivation for wanting to join the Patriots in a conference call Monday.

"My thing is all about winning," said Revis. "I want to win. What better organization than the New England Patriots to be a part of? Look at their track record. New England has won year in and year out. I think its great teaming up with Tom Brady, Coach [Bill] Belichick . . . What I’m here for is to win games and play hard-nosed football."

Revis, who was at Gillette Stadium on Monday for his physical and the official signing of his deal, said he's spoken to Brady. While he wouldn't go into detail, Revis said that Brady reached out and it was a positive conversation. 

Revis was signed last Thursday by New England, a replacement and upgrade to departed free agent Aqib Talib. Revis was in New England last summer when the Buccaneers and Patriots practiced together during training camp.

"I got to see how New England really operates," said Revis. "How Coach Belichick operates. I went there and you can kind of see those guys are very disciplined, they’re a veteran team, playoff-caliber team and a very smart team."

Revis is from Aliquippa, Pennsylvania, the same hometown as Ty Law. "Ty’s been a mentor through my whole life," said Revis. "He's a very close friend to my family. It's not just about the situation at hand, I talk to Ty all the time about life and football. I’m just happy that he’s been there on my side."

We'll have more when the transcript of the soft-spoken Revis' call is made available. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Revis:I want to win

We'll see.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

Strange.... he left out the part about wanting to be the highest paid CB. Regardless, I wonder why he didn't go to any of the teams that have won the SB since he was in high school. Just the other day he was saying he would love to be back playing for Rex. I guess when Idzik refused to pay him 20% more than the highest paid CB, Revis suddenly thought it waa 2003 again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

In response to MileHighMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Strange.... he left out the part about wanting to be the highest paid CB. Regardless, I wonder why he didn't go to any of the teams that have won the SB since he was in high school. Just the other day he was saying he would love to be back playing for Rex. I guess when Idzik refused to pay him 20% more than the highest paid CB, Revis suddenly thought it waa 2003 again.

[/QUOTE]

Pipe down, Bustchise. 

Your jealousy is delicious.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RustyTheToeJammer. Show RustyTheToeJammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Lets put it this way mike... I believe he said its all about winning year in and year out. So you shouldn't be surprised or disappointed at all he didn't go back to the Jets. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm really not sure why some people get fooled so easily by players. He's still the highest paid CB in the league! If winning was his main reason then why wouldn't he take a lower contract to give a team more money to sign more players to give them a better shot to win? Yes it's most likely a part of the reason but the guy fought for years for vast amounts of cash and if he had any inclination that another team would give him a 5 year deal $15mil per year and half guaranteed he'd be there. It's great and all but these types of statements are pre planned to get even more fan support. Revis is a professional and will do his job, hopefully to probowl caliber, and this is clearly a PR move but it is nice to hear. In the end I couldn't care less if he gets on the field and shuts down others peoples WRs

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

I do think money and ego motivate him more than winning.  Fortunately for us, the best way for him to make money out a short contract is by playing shutdown corner and the byproduct of him doing that is hopefully wins.  So technically he's not lying.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We'll see.

[/QUOTE]

+2

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Wouldn't it be just swell if all of 'em (not just Revis) would just line up and play?  I swear NFL players talk more sh_it than all of the other professional sports teams combined. Of course, that's overstated but it does get tiring reading and hearing all of this crap.

I'm glad they signed him and am looking forward to seeing him take the field.  Beyond that I'd be golly gee tickled pink if they all just the shut the f*%k up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kylerocks. Show kylerocks's posts

You notice Decker didnt say it was all about winning.  Let's face it, it never is but if Revis wanted more money he'd be a Raider right now so its at least part way about winning.  He picked the right spot and should make a huge differnce and hopefully put us over the top (and stay healthy throughout the playoffs).  

I also heard Talib say it was all about winning and that he is taking Heimlich Manuever classes so he can help Manning get over the superbowl hump.   He's also trying to get the Seahawks to trade for Rex Grossman so he's doing all he can to help those Broncos. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Of course he's here to win, what other reason would there be? Look He got as far as the AFc championship game and lost, he knows the Patriots are going to be the favorites to win it all so why sign with a team with no chance. He's a great CB and matching him up with Browner was a stroke of genius! Beast on one side and an island where balls get intercepted on the other. Good luck Goober! Revis just made sure you never win another SB.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Players not only will talk, they are required to by the league's media policy

Players – Players must be available to the media following every game and regularly during the practice week as required under league rules and their contracts and as noted above. It is not permissible for any group of players to boycott the media. Star players with heavy media demands must be available to the media that regularly cover their teams at least once during the practice week in addition to their required post-game media availability. This applies to a maximum of one or two players per team only. The minimum for such players of one practice-week availability to local media does not include other required media obligations such as visiting team conference calls, network production meetings, and national media interviews arranged by the team.

All NFL players, upon request of their club public relations director, are required to participate in weekly conference calls with the media from the opposing team’s city.

While a player is encouraged to be available for this call every time he is requested by his club public relations director, no player is required to do more than five such opposing team/media conference calls each regular season. No player, however, can refuse to participate in the weekly media conference call during the playoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to Bustify's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pipe down, Bustchise. 

Your jealousy is delicious.

[/QUOTE]

Bustchise Calls Bustchise Bustchise...now that's original

And it all adds up to, THE NY JETS SUCK!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to RustyTheToeJammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Lets put it this way mike... I believe he said its all about winning year in and year out. So you shouldn't be surprised or disappointed at all he didn't go back to the Jets. 

[/QUOTE]

Again, Bustcise talks to Bustchise...it must be lonely to talk only to yourself all day long...

and THE NY JETS STLL SUCK!!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to kylerocks' comment:
    [QUOTE]

You notice Decker didnt say it was all about winning.  Let's face it, it never is but if Revis wanted more money he'd be a Raider right now so its at least part way about winning.  He picked the right spot and should make a huge differnce and hopefully put us over the top (and stay healthy throughout the playoffs).  

I also heard Talib say it was all about winning and that he is taking Heimlich Manuever classes so he can help Manning get over the superbowl hump.   He's also trying to get the Seahawks to trade for Rex Grossman so he's doing all he can to help those Broncos. 

[/QUOTE]
    Decker's wife, who actually makes more than he does, TOLD him to sign with the Jets so she could get maximum exposure due to their A&E reality TV show...being in NYC makes them much more marketable and her huge TV/Recording career/Media success much more likely...she's young, hot and talented and wants to make the most of her opportunities...it's all about $$$ for these two, not winning Championships...if that's what he wanted to do there were other places he could have signed...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm really not sure why some people get fooled so easily by players. He's still the highest paid CB in the league! If winning was his main reason then why wouldn't he take a lower contract to give a team more money to sign more players to give them a better shot to win? Yes it's most likely a part of the reason but the guy fought for years for vast amounts of cash and if he had any inclination that another team would give him a 5 year deal $15mil per year and half guaranteed he'd be there. It's great and all but these types of statements are pre planned to get even more fan support. Revis is a professional and will do his job, hopefully to probowl caliber, and this is clearly a PR move but it is nice to hear. In the end I couldn't care less if he gets on the field and shuts down others peoples WRs

[/QUOTE]

PatsEng, right now he isn't the highest paid CB in the league. Not even close. You can't go by what the multi-year contract says. You have to go by the guaranteed money in the contract. That is the only number that matters.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

It's a win-win for revis. He gets his cash and has a good chance of winning. 

Honestly, if we draft another cb soon, can we please make sure they are from Aliquippa, PA?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

In response to TravisBean's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let's not kid ourselves here.   He doesn't want to in only, he wants the most money now in the best possible situation, which is why he's here for 1 year.

He wants to kick the tires on the market next year just in case.

If he wanted to win, he never would have done what he did in NY that whole time.

It just so happened, the Pats were the most attractive option and offered the most as the most attractive team for this 1 year.

Revis can prove he's not full of crap by signing an extension that isn't some bloated deal just to somehow financially showcase he's the bestest.  

Winners aren't losers when it counts. He has a lot to prove. This ain't New Jersey.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Queenie, Revis will sign an extension in NE to give them relief from the 6 mil they needed to push into next year because of cap hell.  Is this the good cap management you've been telling us about?   So, Queenie, tell me what a non bloated deal for Revis might look like next year as the cap rises.  How will BB hide that 6 mil he mortgaged into 2015?  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

PatsEng, right now he isn't the highest paid CB in the league. Not even close. You can't go by what the multi-year contract says. You have to go by the guaranteed money in the contract. That is the only number that matters.

[/QUOTE]

In this year he's the highest paid player. He just earned $12mil for this year (unless you think he's cut before the season starts) that makes him the highest paid. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Wow, lot of hate for Revis. I actually heard the conference call on radio today, and he sounded pretty humble to me. But now we give the guy sht because he says all the right things? 

I don't understand fans anymore.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Wow, lot of hate for Revis. I actually heard the conference call on radio today, and he sounded pretty humble to me. But now we give the guy sht because he says all the right things? 

Have you seen his E60 on espn?  

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9629020

When I saw this, I changed my opinion of him.

Then he joined the Pats and he became one of my favorite players, lol.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well, I am a show me kinda guy. I don't do fluff. Revis is his own biggest fan.  Until he proves otherwise, he's just that.

He's very good at acting sheepish and humble when confronted. Sorry, but a primadonna who singlehandedly destroyed a franchise has a lot to prove here as a member of the best sports franchise on planet earth.

I am sorry, but the Brady types, the Revis types, they need to learn it ain't about them.

[/QUOTE]

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9629020

Watch this Russ, let me know what you think? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well, I am a show me kinda guy. I don't do fluff. Revis is his own biggest fan.  Until he proves otherwise, he's just that.

He's very good at acting sheepish and humble when confronted. Sorry, but a primadonna who singlehandedly destroyed a franchise has a lot to prove here as a member of the best sports franchise on planet earth.

I am sorry, but the Brady types, the Revis types, they need to learn it ain't about them.

[/QUOTE]

You don't do fluff?  But that's your job, fluffer bean.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In this year he's the highest paid player. He just earned $12mil for this year (unless you think he's cut before the season starts) that makes him the highest paid. 

[/QUOTE]

Talib was payed more! $26 mil guaranteed is more than $12 mil guaranteed

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

"i want to win" = NE actually paid me 12 M and I would rather play in NE for 12M than cleveland oakland or the rest of the crap teams.

he still wants the dough

Sections
Shortcuts