Revisiting Laron Landry

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Revisiting Laron Landry

I know a lot of posters here were down on him and everyone knows how high I was on him in the offseason and  not because of him personally but what he could bring to our team. We all know that BB needs his safety and has def. tried hard to get his by drafting Meriweather, Chung, and now Wilson. Wilson is gonna be a pretty good cover safety to sick on certain guys and have success but he doesnt have SS potential IMO where he can affect the game.

As much heat as Meriweather took here and deservedly so he DID display those moments of intimidation that we are sorely lacking now. I recall the helmet to Helmet hit on Baltimores TE a few years back and everyone was saying how Meri was so dirty and this and that but I bet you WISH you had someone to fly heads now. Sure they police the game harder with 15 yard penalties for every hard hit but I remember when it was a GOOD thing for your safety to get an early 15 yarder to set the tone! The impeding intimidation would much further outweigh any 15 yards you would give up. WR's run FREE thru this secondary with no Fear because we had 2 former Cb's who dont weigh over 200 lbs manning those spots. Rodney was one of a kind but you can FIND HITTERS!  I dont know how you value a Title but looking back was 4 millon really too much for one year if He helps you win it all??

IM going need those non bias fans to react on this one. I dont wany any haters who dont call it straight. If there are any unbias pure football fans who know the game please chime in so I can hear this.  I listened all offseason to people saying the guy couldnt run let alone play anymore because he lifted too many weights and had many heated debates saying otherwise and my main point was if he is really done how hard is that to see? Bring em in and check him out,. He was here, he left and the Jets pounced. Despite what a lot of folks here said, he DID play in ALL 16 games, recorded 99 tackles, 8 PD's, 4 FF's and 2 INT's   Thats pretty good for a guy who cant run. After our game vs the Jets some pointed out to him being beat by Gronk for TDs as a sign he was done to satisfy their own emotions but the fact is their is only one Gronk and he is the best. Landry was stride for stride with him all day but was too short to make the play. Gregory on the other hand just freezes up whenever a TE crosses his face. Vernon Davis, Pitta,and others found it very easy to get open on him. Fact is Gregory IS a SS but he as a CBs body. That aint gonna cut it with McCourty as your other safety. Look at the SB teams and you will see they have real safeties.

All im saying is BB has to be better in free agency. That one move,taking Landry instead of Gregory could have put us over the top. I am willing to say if he stayed healthy here and picked up the system we are still playing. Brady aint getting any younger so you HAVE to take those guys when they come. Whats 4 million compared to what weve wasted on players who do JACKshhhh here???  I knew it was a bad move letting him leave here but I wont put it all on BB. I think J.Kraft handles the checkbook and he probably didnt sign off on it but that was dumb.  Good thing is Jets only signed him one year. Lets hope BB does the right thing. The team could use upgrades in a lot of spots but I truly believe Landry or any real SS was all THIS particular team was missing. The front 7 was strong but no Intimidator in the back end makes for a very inviting secondary to throw on. Rodney used to sacrifice his own body to make sure no WR was comfortable. We need that back Badly

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Revisiting Laron Landry

In response to jri37's comment:

I think you may be reading to much into why he wasn't signed here. I think it was a simple as they thought he was to much of an injury risk based on the 2010 & 2011 seasons.

Either way it was bad. Why not make an incentive type contract based on how many games played??  I know it was risk but thats what doctors are for and he played all season so its not like he came in with one leg like some said he would. I dont know. I get thats its hindsight and I dont want to go backwards but the point is we have to adress it this offseason. We can try for him again but like I said u can find hitters. Maybe not ones that can do everthing BB asks but cmon..   4 CBS in the secondary!???    smh...it aint gonna cut it

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

easy to armchair it.......most of the talk then was Landry was injury risk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I think you may be reading to much into why he wasn't signed here. I think it was a simple as they thought he was to much of an injury risk based on the 2010 & 2011 seasons.

Either way it was bad. Why not make an incentive type contract based on how many games played??  I know it was risk but thats what doctors are for and he played all season so its not he came in with one leg like some said he would. I dont know. I get thats its hindsight and I dont want to go backwards but the point we have to adress it this offseason

Because the Jets didn't get him an incentive laden deal based on games played.

For a non incentive laden deal the injury risk was to high given previous years in addition to the strong guess to PED use which adds another level of suspension concern. He had a better year then most,including myself, would have thought but the Jets had to take that risk given cap space and complete lack of depth the Pats didn't at the time. The part I highlighted is what this post boils down to compared to the issues before he signed with the Jets

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Because the Jets didn't get him an incentive laden deal based on games played.

Yeah they did.  Half the money in the contract was  based on him suiting up for games.  http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/03/jets_protected_themselves_agai.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

easy to armchair it.......most of the talk then was Landry was injury risk.

Armchair would imply that I didnt want him signed before the season and I looked at it after and said "hey why didnt we get this guy"  I know its easy for me to say because it aint my money but I just never bought that he was too bulky and Patseng that was your major argument as i recall that he lifted too much. I dont want to rehash everything that was said but my question was "it it worth 4 million?' if he played all year. Do we or dont we need one of these types to get over hump???   Thats all

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I watched a bunch of Jets games last season waiting for Tebow to make an enterence into the game and let's face it, part of watching them was like passing by a car crash wanting to look at the wreckage that team was.  So I seen a bunch of Laundry and what it looked like to me  was a player that was always there to make a play a moment too late.  He would get the tackle but he was very rarely in position to make a play on the pass.  Seen him get tourched several times.  So no, I don't think the Patriots missed out on anything other then a solid tackler.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

And the fact he can't cover anyone past 7 yards or in the box.

Shizzles loves the trendy, gimmick type things.  Give a player a cocktail of roids, some tattoos and a scary faceshield and as GM, Shizzles is all over it.  It's a bonus if he listens to gangsta rap. lmao

Didnt I ask for only UNBIASED Opinion!??!?  We know you wont call it straight because he went to the Jets.  PLEASE PROVE THAT HE CANT COVER. The guy covers better than any safety on our team. Have u seen Gregory try to cover a TE??  A converted CB cant cover tight ends...lol and u think Landry cant cover. LIke I said, NO INPUT from you as usual and nothing but LIES. It doesnt work on me because I watch the GAMES rusty. Nice try though

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I watched a bunch of Jets games last season waiting for Tebow to make an enterence into the game and let's face it, part of watching them was like passing by a car crash wanting to look at the wreckage that team was.  So I seen a bunch of Laundry and what it looked like to me  was a player that was always there to make a play a moment too late.  He would get the tackle but he was very rarely in position to make a play on the pass.  Seen him get tourched several times.  So no, I don't think the Patriots missed out on anything other then a solid tackler.

Thats not how I saw it and you have to consider the Jets porous defense as a whole and the fact they played with 2 SS's in Bell and Landry and why we didnt stay with Milloy and Harrison cuz it makes you have to cover too much ground

DO I have to remind you guys that Rodney Harrison before coming here also had a horrific injury. A groin that he tried to play through and made it worse and was running around on one leg that year. Marty said HE WAS DONE and PAts TOOK A CHANCE on him and RODNEY ALSO TOOK PEDS!  The Peds were to heal his inuries faster so teams shouldve been happy he was taking them. He wasnt taking them to enhance his performance because he was RIPPED coming out of college and running a 4.3!!  The Peds were to make him heal faster and come back stronger and it worked.  I know everyone here loved Rodney right??  LOL ,,,wow you guys are too much. Keep those blinders on fellas. If they DONT come HERE to FOXBORO then they must be BUMS and like Rusty sais, Every Player wants to come and play here....lol 

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

Triple - I agree with you on this thread. Rodney Harrison was interviewed recently on PFT Live and he said similar things you are saying. Leron was a risk due to injury with his achilles heel so the Pats styayed away from a riskier contract. I think now after showing he can play this year - he would be worth signing at the right price. He's past his prime but he still is a much better alternative than Gregory.

Harrison's Comments:

I think they need an enforcer at the safety position," Harrison said on Tuesday’s edition of PFT Live. "The tight ends and wide receivers running across the middle, they’re not afraid of getting hit. They need someone like a [Bernard] Pollard to really make a statement, set the tone, and really make them fear coming across the middle. They don’t have that."

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4739140/rodney-safety-enforcer-needed

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Thats not how I saw it and you have to consider the Jets porous defense as a whole and the fact they played with 2 SS's in Bell and Landry and why we didnt stay with Milloy and Harrison cuz it makes you have to cover too much ground

DO I have to remind you guys that Rodney Harrison before coming here also had a horrific injury. A groin that he tried to play through and made it worse and was running around on one leg that year. Marty said HE WAS DONE and PAts TOOK A CHANCE on him and RODNEY ALSO TOOK PEDS!  The Peds were to heal his inuries faster so teams shouldve been happy he was taking them. He wasnt taking them to enhance his performance because he was RIPPED coming out of college and running a 4.3!!  The Peds were to make him heal faster and come back stronger and it worked.  I know everyone here loved Rodney right??  LOL ,,,wow you guys are too much. Keep those blinders on fellas. If they DONT come HERE to FOXBORO then they must be BUMS and like Rusty sais, Every Player wants to come and play here....lol 

Did you just compare a HOF caliber player like Rodney to LaRon Landry?

Yes I DID in terms of how they both had to prove themselve after percieved career ending inuries and how they BOTH used peds to get healthy again. Im not comparing them as players as Rodney was much smarter and could do more but they were both hard hitters who can affect a game. Lets hear what Jets fans are saying , shall we.

However, the safeties are on the third level of the defense. Which means the first level (D-line), and the second level (LBs), are letting the runners get behind them. When Landry run blitz, he usually puts himself around the ball. I can say with confidence that the safeties are not the problems with this defense.

by BIG OH!!!!!

But I think Landry has earned another year maybe more. As for the Jets struggles against TEs, really blame more of that on the slow LBs who somehow get caught in coverage. I hope his stock does go down, hopefully we can resign him for cheap

Personally I don’t mind if Landry lowers his price, I want the Jets to be able to sign him. I love how he attacks the ball and I’ve seem them put him on all kinds of people in pass coverage (he is the 11th most targeted safety in the league). As a heavy hitting safety he makes a perfect compliment to Davis who is a little on the light side. I know he is flawed, but I like him. This defense is in serious need of playmakers. Other than Cromartie and possibly Wilkerson, Landry is the only possible other one who can turn a game from the defensive side.

I noticed him bounce off of Lynch a couple of times today and take some questionable angles

some  mixed views but they all agree he is better than what they had and they want him back. Comared to our safety play outside of # 32, I dont think pats fan are in position to badmouth Landry. Like I sais we have Gregory who cant hit hard or cover a Tight end to save his life..

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Shizzles loves the trendy, gimmick type things.  Give a player a cocktail of roids, some tattoos and a scary faceshield and as GM, Shizzles is all over it.  It's a bonus if he listens to gangsta rap. lmao

Didnt I ask for only UNBIASED Opinion!??!?  We know you wont call it straight because he went to the Jets.  PLEASE PROVE THAT HE CANT COVER. The guy covers better than any safety on our team. Have u seen Gregory try to cover a TE??  A converted CB cant cover tight ends...lol and u think Landry cant cover. LIke I said, NO INPUT from you as usual and nothing but LIES. It doesnt work on me because I watch the GAMES rusty. Nice try though

He has limited range. I said this before he was even signed by the Jets. All his work is 10 yards and in from the line of scrimmage.  He's good sideline to sideline, but absolutely useless in space.

I don't need to prove it. I saw him play in DC. Once he hurt his Achilles', he was at risk of being worse.

We don't need an injury risk who can't cover in a passing league at Safety.  There's a reason why Bell and Landry couldn't cover back there.

The other thing with Landry is may have been deemed to much of a freelancer, selfish type, where BB doesn't like that. There is a reason why only THREE teams kicked the tires on him and why he took the most money on the WORST one.   Get it? It's about LaRon.

Enough with your obsessing over trying to deflect from Brady and a 13 point offense. Everyone sees what you're doing.  You start a different thread every day to try to steer people away from the 13 point factor.

Even the TOP can't be argued that the 13 points was there.   LMAO

If we didn't have 3 guys dinged up or hurt, we possibly keep the game closer on D. The lack of a pass rush really hurt the Pats D, not Safety coverage.

Dude, you need help!  I dont have an agenda like you. I simply made a post revisiting this because A LOT of people were GARAUNTEEING he wouldnt last a season and you were probably one of them. I have started all of 2 threads in the last 3 months. stop making stuff up. I know its a slow day but if you dont want like the topic, Please keep it moving. Im not spending all Friday going back and forth with a mad man. Sure pass rush hurt the team but I guess you dont know the importance of guys being intimidated. The Pats lost mainly because guys either didnt get open or dropped KEY passes on Offense and thats correlated to Pollard busting heads early and that effected OUR performan, meanwhile I dont recall ANY drops by the Ravens because of hearing footsteps. ANY real football guy knows 2 CBs who dont weigh over 200 lbs arent gonna intimidate anyone and there in lies the difference n the game. Our Wrs playing scared because of Pollard and theirs running Free because of Gregory and McCourty being non factors in the hitting department.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to stewart7557's comment:

Triple - I agree with you on this thread. Rodney Harrison was interviewed recently on PFT Live and he said similar things you are saying. Leron was a risk due to injury with his achilles heel so the Pats styayed away from a riskier contract. I think now after showing he can play this year - he would be worth signing at the right price. He's past his prime but he still is a much better alternative than Gregory.

Harrison's Comments:

I think they need an enforcer at the safety position," Harrison said on Tuesday’s edition of PFT Live. "The tight ends and wide receivers running across the middle, they’re not afraid of getting hit. They need someone like a [Bernard] Pollard to really make a statement, set the tone, and really make them fear coming across the middle. They don’t have that."

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4739140/rodney-safety-enforcer-needed

I didnt hear that. Thanks Stew for bringing forth this info. Im sure some here will still say Rodney is not qualified, doesnt know the team. He is a hater...blah, blah, blah

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

He has limited range. I said this before he was even signed by the Jets. All his work is 10 yards and in from the line of scrimmage.  He's good sideline to sideline, but absolutely useless in space.

I don't need to prove it. I saw him play in DC. Once he hurt his Achilles', he was at risk of being worse.

We don't need an injury risk who can't cover in a passing league at Safety.  There's a reason why Bell and Landry couldn't cover back there.

The other thing with Landry is may have been deemed to much of a freelancer, selfish type, where BB doesn't like that. There is a reason why only THREE teams kicked the tires on him and why he took the most money on the WORST one.   Get it? It's about LaRon.

Enough with your obsessing over trying to deflect from Brady and a 13 point offense. Everyone sees what you're doing.  You start a different thread every day to try to steer people away from the 13 point factor.

Even the TOP can't be argued that the 13 points was there.   LMAO

If we didn't have 3 guys dinged up or hurt, we possibly keep the game closer on D. The lack of a pass rush really hurt the Pats D, not Safety coverage.

You're the only deflector here and just another thread where you can sneak in your continous TB bashing.

It's funny in your expert analysys that you neglect to mention that your idolized and lead RB, Steven Ridley, was personally responsible for KILLING 2 SCORING DRIVES!

1-10-BAL20 (7:48) (No Huddle) S.Ridley right guard to BLT 18 for 2 yards (P.Kruger; M.Kemoeatu). 2-8-BAL18 (7:24) (No Huddle) A.Hernandez left end to BLT 12 for 6 yards (C.Graham). reverse 3-2-BAL12 (6:59) (No Huddle) S.Ridley right guard to BLT 12 for no gain (C.Graham). 4-2-BAL12

(6:25) S.Gostkowski 31 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-D.Aiken, Holder-Z.Mesko.

AND.......

1-10-NE39(12:55) (Shotgun) S.Ridley right tackle to NE 47 for 8 yards (B.Pollard). FUMBLES (B.Pollard), RECOVERED by BLT-A.Jones at NE 47. A.Jones to NE 47 for no gain (R.Wendell). NE-S.Ridley was injured during the play. The Replay Assistant challenged the fumble ruling, and the play was Upheld.

Don't you think THOSE LOST POINTS WOULD HAVE HELPED THE O?

Orrrrrrrr.... that the new and improved D failed to force a single rz stop or a single T/O????

Don't you think the Ravens would have scored LESS if they did?

Do you enjoy making a fool of your self?

We all know what you're doing.  It's there for the whole world to see.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I said nothing about his injury or PEDS.  My comment was only about how I seen him play.  And that was my opinion of him last season.  I don't care what defense scheme he plays in, or who he plays with on the field, the matter of the fact is if he gets to the receiver too late to make a play on the ball then really, how effective is he?  I don't care if a player plays for the Patriots or Jets or Giants, etc.. I am unbiased when it comes to talking about a player, any player.  I see it how I see it.  For instance, I have said many times on this forum that Flacco is a very good QB, doesn't get the respect he deserves and that he always plays the Patriots very well.  I think he is certainly a top 10 QB.  Now some on here don't agree with me but I feel it's true and shows just how unbiased I am. So my comments have nothing to do with him being a Jet and not a Patriot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I said nothing about his injury or PEDS.  My comment was only about how I seen him play.  And that was my opinion of him last season.  I don't care what defense scheme he plays in, or who he plays with on the field, the matter of the fact is if he gets to the receiver too late to make a play on the ball then really, how effective is he?  I don't care if a player plays for the Patriots or Jets or Giants, etc.. I am unbiased when it comes to talking about a player, any player.  I see it how I see it.  For instance, I have said many times on this forum that Flacco is a very good QB, doesn't get the respect he deserves and that he always plays the Patriots very well.  I think he is certainly a top 10 QB.  Now some on here don't agree with me but I feel it's true and shows just how unbiased I am. So my comments have nothing to do with him being a Jet and not a Patriot.

I was not responding to you about the peds, I know u didnt mention that.

Are you expecting him to make INTS on the ball or dislodge the ball from the reciever? He is a SS who intimidates. Do you realize we had noone to do that?? I dont mean any disrespect but I dont think you fully know what impact a safety is supposed to have and what skill set they should posess. HE can cover Tight ends. Gregory cant. He can hit people Really hard,. Gregory cant. Do you realize this is why we give up so many yards??  Were you happy with the safety play this year outside of # 32? Do you think Chung can cover better than Landry?? YOu are pointed to a handful of plays where he showed up late but I bet u cant even name the devensive alignments they were in. Sorry I will just have to disagree with you. My point is he could have helped. His 8 pass deflections. 2 INTs and the fact I watched him play sais different. he lost to us but did impact the game with several hard hits and those take a toll leading to late game drops. If you dont understand this,Im sorry.

Here are Gregory's stats last year year. 12 games -37 tackles , 5 pass deflections and 3 INTS

Here are Landys stats last year.  16 games - 99 tackles, 8 pass deflection , 4 Forced Fumbles and 2 INT's

Are you really gonna sit here and say you were happy with Gregory and Landry was not a better option???  Wow....Just Wow

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Laron Landry makes no difference on this team, this year.

To cite Meriweather as anything positive is a joke. Sure, he hit guys hard once in a while, often his teammates. Other than that, he was ATROCIOUS at every. Other. Single. Aspect.

You don't set the tone with a cheap, dirty hit like the one on HEAP, all you do is fire up the other team who now wants to even the score. I'm all for guys playing hard, at, or a little over the line. Meriweather took a plane past the line, and set up camp there, all by himself, jus tlike he liked it. The fact he was on 2 different teams the 2 years following his getting his as s cut in NE should tell you everything you needed to know. Oh, and he injured himself, and a teammate, by ...wait for it....RUNNING INTO HIM during pregame WARMUPS!

I could point you to some seasons where Victor Green registered 180+, and 200+ tackles in a season for a Jets team, came here, couldn't play, and got cut. Tackles don't mean much. When a S is leading your team in tackles, in means the front 7 are pretty bad.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

Laron Landry makes no difference on this team, this year.

To cite Meriweather as anything positive is a joke. Sure, he hit guys hard once in a while, often his teammates. Other than that, he was ATROCIOUS at every. Other. Single. Aspect.

You don't set the tone with a cheap, dirty hit like the one on HEAP, all you do is fire up the other team who now wants to even the score. I'm all for guys playing hard, at, or a little over the line. Meriweather took a plane past the line, and set up camp there, all by himself, jus tlike he liked it. The fact he was on 2 different teams the 2 years following his getting his as s cut in NE should tell you everything you needed to know. Oh, and he injured himself, and a teammate, by ...wait for it....RUNNING INTO HIM during pregame WARMUPS!

I could point you to some seasons where Victor Green registered 180+, and 200+ tackles in a season for a Jets team, came here, couldn't play, and got cut. Tackles don't mean much. When a S is leading your team in tackles, in means the front 7 are pretty bad.

thx for the response madragon but the post really wasnt about Meriweather and i never said i wanted him back. ALL I know is we won that game. Did meriweathers hit have an impact, probably cant say but for you to say landry on this team makes no difference I will say thats pretty much discrediting your whole post IMO

Maybe you dont think intimidation is a factor but a guy with 2 rings who played for 16 years disagrees with you.

If hitting a player helmet to helmet only fires up the OTHER team how come it didnt have that effect for us. Wes didnt look fired up after the hit nor did any of his teamates, in fact they were all scared to catch the ball after that. This is the NFL 101....lol

and as usual with posts like yours you spend more time typing about something or someone who isnt even on topic. All You have is "landry doesnt make a difference" but proceed to go on and on about a player that isnt even the topic of the thread... .Wow

Hey Rusty!!! You got some company. 

Sections
Shortcuts