revisiting that hysterical 6th round draft trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

revisiting that hysterical 6th round draft trade

remember when BB lightheartedly agreed to trade BACK in round 6 with old chum Andy Reid, just to keep some stoopid streak of draft trades going? Maybe BB should have been paying more attention to the draft and less time back slapping with the competition. The eagles used bb's free upgraded pick to take olb/ss hybrid Brian Rolle, a solid cover guy who is now a borderline starter at olb for Philly. If you don't think we could have used another good cover guy/solid tackling olb/ss hybrid, because BB was still clinging to the 34 defense, consider that even before this switch to a base 43, our d spent enough time in sub packages that somebody like rolle would have been a good flier to take a chance on. it's not like we had an abundance of good cover linebackers or safeties aleady on the roster, and we still don't. Oops. Instead took a total chance on Carter, who never had any 43 upside and only had an outside chance of making the team as a 34 olb, a position he hadnt even played before. Tyler Sash, a projected 2nd/3rd round strong safety, was also still on the board when that stoopid trade and carter pick were made. Merriweather was coming off an arrest and showed no signs after 5 years of getting with the program. his release was almost expected. James Sanders was coming off yet another injury and was overpaid as a backup. Another safety was not offered an extention and signed elsewhere. instead of taking the draft seriously and covering bases, BB was horsing around and taking fliers on the likes of woekout warrior Carter and bench warmer/workout warrior malcolm williams. We could have had Sash and Herzlich in those spots, both of whom are contributing for the Giants. Or we could have at least had Brian Rolle, a hybrid of Sash and Herzlich, just by staying put and not trading down for nothing. Too bad BB refused to draft 43 talent for years, even in lower rounds. It just wasn't on his radar, and now the 2012 draft will have to be spent filling many holes in our 43 d. Not too funny.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Re: revisiting that hysterical 6th round draft trade

www.eagleseyeblog.com/2011-articles/september/spotlight-on-brian-rolle-now.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

its easy to be an armchair QB and obody bats 1000! By your way of thinking if my aunt had bal ls  she would be my Uncle!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

"Sash has been taking reps with the first team defense and is expected to contribute to the defense early and often in 2011 . This should be no tall task for Sash, who was a defensive captain and a candidate for both the Ronnie Lott and Bronco Nagursi awards during his tenure at Iowa (designating the nations best safety and best defensive player respectively) . "Again, he hasn’t made a live tackle in the NFL yet and I’ m already penciling him in as a 10 -year veteran. I know, crazy talk. But I can’ t help it . To see him be in the right place so often in a year where the rookies had no offseason workouts, OTAs or minicamps is quite remarkable, " Mike Garafolo of The Star- Ledger wrote this morning . Sash played in a pro- style defense at Iowa which ran a lot of zone coverage (similar to Perry Fewell ) and grabbed 13 interceptions over three seasons. His interceptions numbers rank second best in Iowa history (best since 1939 )."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

In Response to Re: revisiting that hysterical 6th round draft trade:
    [QUOTE]its easy to be an armchair QB and obody bats 1000! By your way of thinking if my aunt had bal ls  she would be my Uncle!
    Posted by Quagmire3[/QUOTE]

Yeah, who could have known that Herzlich could play football, or that on field production (rolle, sash, herzlich) is a better indicator of future success than workout numbers combined with poor on-field performance. Only a genius could know that it's better to not trade down unless you get something back. only in hindsight was that trade not a great idea. nice homer-logic

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

[QUOTE] Anyone know the best way to shoot down a police helicopter,just asking for a friend.
    Posted by Mybologna[/QUOTE]

First find out if BB has a Stinger, then offer to trade your pellet gun for it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Herzlich was not among the Giants ' cuts. "Herzlich didn' t bat an eye the whole camp," Giants coach Tom Coughlin said. "Physically , he did everything you asked and more. I saw him improve literally week by week. He can play multiple positions. He' s very smart. He does an outstanding job on special teams. He' s told one time and he goes and does it . He deserves it. "

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'm sure Reid and Belichick discussed who they would be picking ahead of time, and BB would have taken Carter regardless of which pick he had.

You can argue that Carter was a poor pick (though he's on the PS where BB is clearly trying to develop him into a guy who can play), but the trade probably made no difference at all in whom BB chose. 

BB does take gambles on guys like Carter hoping to find a diamond in the rough. If two years from now Carter is making an impact it will have proved a good pick. In the sixth round, you're mostly getting back-ups or camp competition. BB often takes fliers in that round--picking guys like a back-up QB from Michigan--in the hopes he finds something better than what's usually around at that point in the draft. Often the strategy fails, but the opportunity cost isn't high because most sixth round picks don't turn out to be much any way.

BB's drafts are not perfect, but they're not bad either.  I don't think I see any cause for alarm, though, in what he did in the sixth round last year.   

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

[QUOTE]Might be the dumbest over-analysis ever.  If you're that bored, try reading.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Even dumber than suggesting drafting more 43 talent before the last 3 drafts? Yeah, I thought so. when the pats traded down for nothing you probably pumped your fist and yelled "genius!" when malcolm williams was drafted over Herzlich you probably thought it was going to revolutionize scouting, so that college backups would be more sought after than college starters. the problem with homerism is that critical thinking goes out the window.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We won 3 Super Bowls with the 3/4 defense.

We don't run a traditional 4/3, we run a 3/4 with nickel hybrids.

We can pour over the last decade of drafts and say who we should have gotten, how do you measure a man's heart, you can't, otherwise there would be a premium on psychics in NFL war rooms.  It's too bad you weren't there swami...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

31 other teams passed on carter and williams when they got their low-producing azzes cut. now we still dont have lbs that can cover, and our safety situation is the worst in the league.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In my view we should neither applaud nor condemn picks after the 3-4th round.  At that point you're just hoping to takemake a lucky guess. Same thing goes for UFAs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

This thread is pointless. It doesnt matter who reid took. That was not going to be BBs choice. He was gonna pick carter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

So let me get this straight, what you are saying is if we know after the draft what players were the best, we would have picked those ahead of the ones we did pick?

OMG YOU ARE A GENIUS!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Here's another speedy linebacker we passed on in the sixth round, again to the Giants: www.giants101.com/2011/09/21/new-york-giants-may-have-a-developing-star-in-jacquian-williams/ The Giants got 3 current future starters in the 6th and 7th rounds, all of whom the Pats passed on, and all of whom play positions that the Pats find themselves dangerously weak in. May I suggest that the entire draft and scouting process be taken more seriously, and that schematic fit and workout numbers not be prioritized over natural football ability and onfield production?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Guyton is solid in coverage but doesnt change direction well. mostly just straight-line speed. Ninc is solid in coverage for a bigger linebacker. Neither can really shadow a fast te or rb making cuts. Tarp has a chance and I'm very glad we have him. if not for the extended lockout, I'm not sure BB would have grabbed him. the philosophical switch to 43 seems to have come sometime after the draft.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

Maybe these late round "finds" by the Giants are more a result of a lack of talent on the Giants than their actual abilities.  The Pats roster was tough to crack as witness by the large number of Pats cuts who got picked up by other teams.  So one could actually be a good player, but just not good enough to make the Pats.  How many Giant cuts got picked by other teams?  It's easier to look good when you're competing against scrubs.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In my view we should neither applaud nor condemn picks after the 3-4th round.  At that point you're just hoping to takemake a lucky guess. Same thing goes for UFAs.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

This makes sense . . . and the fact that it was said by Babe (who is not at all shy about criticizing BB's drafts) makes it even more notable.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think Mayo is pretty good in coverage for a LB. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.