Revisting the Laura Maroney trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Revisting the Laura Maroney trade

In Response to Re: Revisting the Laura Maroney trade:
    [QUOTE]Usually, It's a tell-tale sign that when IndyLove agrees with your premise...you're AMAZINGLY wrong on your premise.
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

Yeah thats when I realized  I may need a reality check!!

No seriously, I am not saying that Maroney was a great RB, and as much as I appreciate the time you put in on that multi paragraph clusterbomb about how Maroney didn't do good on certain carries of a game or whatever.....My point is that BJGE, Morris,Taylor, Maroney, Corey Dillions last 2 years and whoever else has been running the football in run formations( as in not Faulk or Wood running out of 4 wide spread and averaging 5 yds a clip) is not performing well. Perhaps it isn't JUST Maroney when every traditional RB we have has underperformed in our pass heavy offense of the last 5 1/2 seasons( coincidentally since we won our last SB)

IF we knew this is as an organization and coaching staff WHY did we do nothing about it. The pass sets up the run and the run sets up the pass. They compliment each other. If one cannot work usually the other may suffer. There are a few extraordinary examples of teams that have no running game who win SB's but how many in the last 20 years?

We decided to abandon the run game from an organizational stand point and I think it will hurt us, I think it has hurt us, and it may become worse in the playoffs unless we commit to it for the rest of this season and commit to it in this upcoming off season.

Anyway I'm just trying to match your page length here but...

My final point is why get rid of a RB who at the least had 4 ypc and 9 tds last year when you didn't have much behind him?

And if it is because we believed in BJGE then give that man a shot at running the ball more then 1 play in a row. Give him 20 carries and lets see if we can get the run game back alive in Foxborough. We need it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3928595. Show user_3928595's posts

[QUOTE]P-Mick pick 100 compared to 184 is a better crap shot for me. Also Its very likerly this Denver pick  whick i think will be a top 5 in next years draft will be traded into a 3rd rounder for 2012..... By 2014 It could be a 1st rounder lol !!!
    Posted by hoyle[/QUOTE]

Your forgetting the fact that this Denver pick was already traded to Seattle fir Deon Branch. Seattle has the option of choosing the higher of our two 4th round picks, which will obviously be the Denver pick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

The Pats got Denver's 4th in next years draft for good old Laurie. Fact is the only reason they got anything for him was, that he was a former number one pick. Had he been a 3rd or 4th rounder , he would have been cut ages ago, if not he would have had no trade value. Except, maybe if they were opening a Fred Astaire dance studio in Denver.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

And Branch is hurt keep that in mind. He's had a history of nagging injuries since he left and appears to be continuing the trend. 

BJGE is not getting the job done. The games he's done well you could have put anybody in there to run the ball. Those were the games our o-line controlled the line. I like BJGE but he's just not a number 1 guy. He's a guy you bring in to rest your number 1.

We obviously need a quality bruiser rb. I thought we still needed Maroney this year due to no depth but, I don't think he would have done any better than BJGE so it's a wash. Trading him for Branch which was the end result seems like a good move. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

The Seattle pick is the higher of the 2 picks .... So in fact It will be the pats pick not the Denver pick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Revisting the Laura Maroney trade : He was a 1st rd pick in 2006 whom many teams coveted.  He never made the leap from college star to the NFL. So, yes, for whatever reason, he never progressed.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I didn't like the pick when it happend, but got on board when Shanahan spoke of him. I thought his legs were so skinny that he'd never be able to move a pile or mud in the middle. I'm surprised he weighs in at 225, he doesn't look that big and I'm surprised that Law Firm weighs in the 215 range (he looks bigger). To me we need a back, I'd like to see us get one in the second round range.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

OK here's my take on M and the ensuing trading of him. He didn't fit. They got a Fourth round draft choice for him and traded that to re-acquire Deion Branch. In essence the better of the two trades was Moss to Minnesota as the Patriots acquired Minnesota's third round pick,that pick might be significant. The best move by BB was at last years draft where he truly fleeced Carolina out of their 2nd round draft choice for this year! That pick could be the equivilant of a late first round draft choice and as it stands today it's no worse than a top 5 second round pick. I truly think BB will parlay that pick into multiple picks for this next draft and for 2012. It's too bad they didn't get more out of Jerry Jones for number 24 last year. If the draft was held tomorrow the Patriots would select 3 times in the top 34 picks,and that doesn't add in the additional pick for round 3 and their own 2nd round selection or Third. Giving them a total of 6 picks in the top 100 players on the board. Incredible as it may sound they actually could win the super bowl and still draft better than the last place team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3928595. Show user_3928595's posts

[QUOTE]The Seattle pick is the higher of the 2 picks .... So in fact It will be the pats pick not the Denver pick.
    Posted by hoyle[/QUOTE]

Sorry Hoyle but your wrong on this unless you are saying that Denver will finish with a better record than New England. Basically Seattle has the choice which of our 4th rounders to take. They will take the higher pick which will be Denvers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimijazz. Show jimijazz's posts

When a team makes a conditional trade for picks does that mean they have to hold onto all possible picks until the trade is resolved?  That is, the Pats can't package either choice until Seattle gets their pick?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

2011 Patriots Draft Picks

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/09/2011-patriots-draft-picks.html

This is the list of the Patriots draft picks going into the 2011 NFL Draft:

Updated: 10/11/10 (Deion Branch Trade)

1st Round
    1st Round (OAK – Richard Seymour)
    2nd Round (CAR – 2010 3rd Round)
    2nd Round
    3rd Round (www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/10/patriots-trade-randy-moss-to-minnesota.html">MIN – Randy Moss)
    3rd Round
    4th Round (DEN – Laurence Maroney)
    5th Round
    6th Round (NO – David Thomas)

Picks traded away:

4th Round (SEA – Deion Branch) (via DEN if higher than NE pick)
    6th Round (DEN – Laurence Maroney)
    7th Round (ATL – Quinn Ojinnaka)
    Conditional Draft Pick – Round Unknown (KC – Jarrad Page)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Posted this before and elsewhere but here we go again...

Maroney got let go because his contract was up... period. 

If he wasn't productive enough for you, than question why none of our runners get to accumulate any carries.  He wasn't going to re-sign for less just because he was a part time employee anymore than Moss would have, and he certainly isn't going to get hurt in Denver with no contract so he will coast for the rest of the season and sign an incentive laden deal with somebody next season. 

Your precious stats proved that the more he carried the rock the stronger he got, we used to love that about Curtis Martin... we don't run the ball and our play calling bites.  Again how many runningbacks in the NFL can produce without the ball in their hands?  Short answer... none.

And another thing, move on with the hate for Maroney.. he's not a PAT anymore. 

If after next season on a reasonably good team he still is not producing than you can scream how he is a bust all over again, but you can't judge him on a team where an obvious stud of a back in Keshawn Moreno is averaging 3 yards a carry and yet you expect Laurence to lay his life on the line with no contract...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssmilloy36. Show ssmilloy36's posts

in maroneys defence.  last year he suprised me....until he got to the goal line and fumbles.  thats my boy moroney.  made me so happy....that hes gone!

and his oline is not a good run blocking line

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3928595. Show user_3928595's posts

[QUOTE]2011 Patriots Draft Picks http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/09/2011-patriots-draft-picks.html This is the list of the Patriots draft picks going into the 2011 NFL Draft : Updated: 10/11/10 (Deion Branch Trade) 1st Round 1st Round (OAK – Richard Seymour) 2nd Round (CAR – 2010 3rd Round) 2nd Round 3rd Round ( www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/10/patriots-trade-randy-moss-to-minnesota.html " /> MIN – Randy Moss ) 3rd Round 4th Round (DEN – Laurence Maroney) 5th Round 6th Round (NO – David Thomas) Picks traded away: 4th Round (SEA – Deion Branch) (via DEN if higher than NE pick) 6th Round (DEN – Laurence Maroney) 7th Round (ATL – Quinn Ojinnaka) Conditional Draft Pick – Round Unknown (KC – Jarrad Page)
    Posted by hoyle[/QUOTE]

Hoyle, thanks for posting you made my point for me! Seattle recieves the highest of NE's two 4th rounders." (via DEN if higher than NE pick)