Revisting the Matt Cassell and Mıke Vrabel Trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

Revisting the Matt Cassell and Mıke Vrabel Trade

Id like to say the pats did well in that trade being 9-2 this season and headıng for the playoffs once again.
    But Matt Cassell İs performing like a Pro Bowler this season for Kansas and with so many average QB out there maybe Scott Pioli got the better end of stick from BB for a high 2nd round pick. Pat chung has been awesome ...  but Mattys value in hine sight was a bargin.
    A huge win for Kansas and a good deal for the Pats.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Re: Revisting the Matt Cassell and Mıke Vrabel Trade

I think the biggest "win" for KC was the addition of Pioli, Weis, and Crennel. They certainly have been putting the pieces in place, and now have the coordinators to use the pieces wisely. Cassel is coming into his own, though. I'm sure it helped studying under a QB like Brady. Duane Bowe and Jamal Charles also are a huge help for Matt. With the discontent in the SD locker room I can see KC supplanting them as the force in their division. It will be interesting if they face NE in the playoffs. As for NE getting a good deal, I agree. With Brady back they couldn't realistically keep Cassel, and Vrabel was well past his prime. But his leadership is a big help to a young KC team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Cassell was a 7th rounder cashed in for an early 2nd rounder, which happened to be Pat Chung, no slouch to be sure.  Do you think Cassell was going to beat Brady for the starting job?  KC may have gotten a good deal, but the Pats got what they could for Cassell while they could, and if there was a 1st rounder to be had, they probably would have gotten one.  It can be argued that Chung is playing like a 1st rounder and he's likely gonna get better. 

This was a win-win at worst for both teams. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Revisting the Matt Cassell and Mıke Vrabel Trade:
    [QUOTE]Id like to say the pats did well in that trade being 9-2 this season and headıng for the playoffs once again. But Matt Cassell İs performing like a Pro Bowler this season for Kansas and with so many average QB out there maybe Scott Pioli got the better end of stick from BB for a high 2nd round pick. Pat chung has been awesome ...  but Mattys value in hine sight was a bargin. A huge win for Kansas and a good deal for the Pats.
    Posted by hoyle[/QUOTE]

In the big picture...we drafted Cassel in the 7th round and got a 2nd round pick in return. That's not too shabby and saved 19M which is what his cap hit would've been if we franchised him...or a lot more than we were paying Brady...the preverbial win-win...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

Both Brady and Cassel stats are similar for whats İts worth

Brady 9 wins 23 TD 4 İNT
    Cassel 7 wins 22 TD 4 INT

İts tough when you have 2 franchise QB at once with a legend coach !!! İt doesn,t happen very often Montana ,Young & Walsh and Brady,Cassel & BB

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

I'll go with 66 on this.    It is what it is

Some thought that Vrabel was the real loss. I'm not so sure he would have got more than the ten sacks last year Tully got. Some said trade Brady ( you know bad knee / He'll never be the same ) and keep Cassel. I've heard it said this year that KC was winning inspite of Cassel. I myself wish we would have went after Thomas Jones in FA. Just think if the Pats had a backfield of Jones,Charles,and McCluster. Don't get me wrong I really like Benny and Woody and they are holding their on in this league. The Pats triple threat is two guys though. I'm holding hope that Freddy can be that extra punch guy. 

Benny Woody and Freddy     yep I like the sound of it. I forgot Sammy seems BB just has not called on Sammy to carry the rock this year. I'm not sure why either. He did OK in ATL preseason game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Ummm.

What?

BB tagged a back up QB which means he had no leverage and he got the #34 overall pick in 2009 for it. And he also unloaded an aging Vrabel and his salary which had to be done at some point.

There has never been a coach to ever tag a back up QB.  And when everyone knows you are tagging him to trade him, this means your leverage is weakened.

To score a high pick like that and for them to get Chung has been a blessing.

Chung appears to be emerging as  Pro Bowl kind of talent.  If BB does not have the stones to tag Cassel, possibly being stuck with him in 2009, as teams may  have try to stymie the move, Chung never gets here.

I am not surprised Cassel is ascending. I predicted he would. He just needed to pass protection help and for the younger players to improve. DeWayne Bowe drops too many balls and he has two rookies in Moeaki and McCluster.

Now they aren't dropping balls and the O Line is pass protecting better.

Cassel has what you want. Maturity, drive, leadership, quick desecisins, ball control, etc.

He still needs another legit possession flanker oppostie Bowe, but his 2008 season was actual Pro Bowl level because Favre went to the Pro Bowl with WORSE numbers.

Both teams won here. 

Cassel is a legit QB to build around.  I still cannot believe Minnesota wasn't in on the bidding.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Does it matter? Bottom line was we couldn't afford to keep Cassel so unless you were willing to get rid of Brady there was no choice. All the teams knew Cassel was going to be a free agent so no one was willing to give anything higher for him. The 2nd rounder was better than nothing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I agree the Pats got a good deal considering everything and KC did as well. Win-win ... also I think Chung is playing like a mid first round pick so I am happy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I'll say now, what I said then... BB got what he could. He couldn't afford to franchise two QBs, and there was no guarantee Matt would turn into what he is this season.

Matt has gotten much better at getting rid of the ball quickly.

NE KC
    2010 - 15 15
    2009 - 18 42
    2008 - 48
    2007 - 21

Adding Thomas Jones has helped as well. But essentially, Matt has blossomed from a kid with potential, into a bonafide QB. He fixed one of the two holes in his game. If he figures out how to throw deep better, look out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

"We are all exiles from the past" and all of this post is about history and on that basis, not relevant to reality.  However, it does provide a great opportunity to write alternative history that is usually pretty funny.  Sort of like the books that Newt Gingrich writes about the south winning Civil war battles that they didn't win, if not the entire war itself.  Useless blather. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]Id like to say the pats did well in that trade being 9-2 this season and headıng for the playoffs once again. But Matt Cassell İs performing like a Pro Bowler this season for Kansas and with so many average QB out there maybe Scott Pioli got the better end of stick from BB for a high 2nd round pick. Pat chung has been awesome ...  but Mattys value in hine sight was a bargin. A huge win for Kansas and a good deal for the Pats.
    Posted by hoyle[/QUOTE]

Probowler? You're out of your mind. He's average at best. Besides KC aint makin' the polayoffs. Next topic

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The other question is about Brian Hoyer.  If Hoyer is as good as BB thinks he is -- a guaranteed backup quarterback who might start elsewhere, so the Patriots don't even need a third quarterback except maybe on the practice squad -- then Cassel's usefulness to BB is not far from zero, especially at the wrong price. 

Remember that KC is paying through the nose for Mr. Cassel.  This means that KC can't afford too many free agents next year when the salary cap comes back.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Revisting the Matt Cassell and Mıke Vrabel Trade:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Revisting the Matt Cassell and Mıke Vrabel Trade : Probowler? You're out of your mind. He's average at best. Besides KC aint makin' the polayoffs. Next topic
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

They might not. The AFC West won't be producing a wild card any time soon, not with the AFC north and AFC east so stacked.

Given how weak KC's and SD's schedules are down the stretch, it's winner take all when they meet on the 12th ....

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Revisting the Matt Cassell and Mıke Vrabel Trade : Probowler? You're out of your mind. He's average at best. Besides KC aint makin' the polayoffs. Next topic

KC aınt makıng the playoffs because ........  Come on JBOLT Norv will self explode before the seasons out. Cassel is a better QB then Rivers put that down in writing please !  next topic

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Posted by hoyle[/QUOTE]

Funny, I diodn't see this "LOVE" for Matt last season when he QB'd a 4-12 team. Isn't that amazing?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Well, if Brady and Rivers are at the top in the AFC, there are 3 QBs who go to the Pro Bowl.

Look who is next in line.

Cassel is absolutely playing at a Pro Bowl level.  Rivers little shot put style of throwing can't last forever, especially if he never leads SD to a Super Bowl.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]Both Brady and Cassel stats are similar for whats İts worth Brady 9 wins 23 TD 4 İNT Cassel 7 wins 22 TD 4 INT İts tough when you have 2 franchise QB at once with a legend coach !!! İt doesn,t happen very often Montana ,Young & Walsh and Brady,Cassel & BB
    Posted by hoyle[/QUOTE]

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????

The better analysis is how these stats are being compiled and against whom. Having played 11 games, let's look at each team's record versus teams +/- 1 game to .500 (records of 6-5 and 5-6).

The Chiefs are 2-3 against these teams (wins: Chargers and Jags; losses: Dolts, Texans, and Raid-uhs). 3 of their remaing 5 games are against these same reford teams: Chargers, Raid-uhs, and Rams).  NOTE: they have not played a team with minimum 7 wins.

The Pats, on the other hand, are 5-1 against teams +/- .500 (wins: Fins, Ravens, Chargers, Squeelers, and Indy; 3 against 6-5 teams; lost to the JESTS!). Remaining ontheir schedule are 4 teams +/- .500 (8-3 bears, 7-4 Packers, 9-2 JESTS!, and 6-5 Fins).

Do you honestly and realistically believe, let alone think that Matt would have the same stats if he was QB'g the Chiefs agaisnt the Pats schedule, and do you even consider that Brady would have significantly higher stats if he played the Chiefs 2010 schedule?

If you're goingt o look at and quote numbers, may I suggest you look at ALL of them?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

[QUOTE]Both Brady and Cassel stats are similar for whats İts worth Brady 9 wins 23 TD 4 İNT Cassel 7 wins 22 TD 4 INT İts tough when you have 2 franchise QB at once with a legend coach !!! İt doesn,t happen very often Montana ,Young & Walsh and Brady,Cassel & BB
    Posted by hoyle[/QUOTE]

for this year...brady has been to 5 afc championships has three sb trophys...

big big difference in the two...obviously

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Revisting the Matt Cassell and Mıke Vrabel Trade : Well, if Brady and Rivers are at the top in the AFC, there are 3 QBs who go to the Pro Bowl. Look who is next in line. Cassel is absolutely playing at a Pro Bowl level.  Rivers little shot put style of throwing can't last forever, especially if he never leads SD to a Super Bowl.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Expect jets fans to get Sanchez into the probowl.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Posted by hoyle[/QUOTE]

Matt did a great job with us.  If we weren't going to keep him, a 2nd rounder isn't bad compensation. We were going to release Vrabel anyway.  By trading him, we allowed him the opportunity to get his 5 million dollar payday.  It was a courtesy move.  They paid alot of money for Cassel to be the man, and he didn't look like it last year.  Glad his potential is coming through.  But he also could have been a complete failure also.  So a second rounder for your backup QB isn't too shabby.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

I find these posts funny...last year everyone was saying Cassell was only good because he was on the Patriots...the 4-12 record was proof, then earlier this year all the media talk was how KC has great potential but their QB was holding them back....now Casell is the cats meow & KC looks tough....seriously fans can be led like sheep by the media & it's own agenda...quite comical actually....the reality is, Pioli was a great addition & having Weiss & Crenell back together again at the positions they both excell at & a QB that fits their system along with vetran leadership in key areas & all that youth & talent is what's allowing this TEAM to excell...Chiefs will be a team to recon with for a long time if all it's top personel stay put(coaches/QB)....Chiefs will be AFC west champs because of their balance & excellence at coaching....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re:  Cassel is a better QB then Rivers put that down in writing please !
    Posted by hoyle[/QUOTE]

Ummm......no.