Revisting the Matt Cassell and Mıke Vrabel Trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from canpatfan. Show canpatfan's posts

Re: Revisting the Matt Cassell and Mıke Vrabel Trade

On Cassel - the jury is still out as far as I am concerned.  I think he still has some difficulty throwing the deep ball with accuracy.  It is too early to see how good or even mediocre he will be.  Give me Brady over any other QB - whether a game is on the line or not.  

Vrabel - sure we could use him but he is getting older by the hour

Chung - a keeper

Patriots - are winning the trade but KC has not been harmed by it either.  Time tells all things! 

In Response to Revisting the Matt Cassell and Mıke Vrabel Trade:
    Id like to say the pats did well in that trade being 9-2 this season and headıng for the playoffs once again. But Matt Cassell İs performing like a Pro Bowler this season for Kansas and with so many average QB out there maybe Scott Pioli got the better end of stick from BB for a high 2nd round pick. Pat chung has been awesome ...  but Mattys value in hine sight was a bargin. A huge win for Kansas and a good deal for the Pats.
    Posted by hoyle

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Okay, let's put it another way. Would people rather have Jay Cutler or Matt Cassel? Answer that question first.

For Cassel, the chiefs gave up a second round pick while also receiving Mike Vrabel.

For Cutler, the bears gave up a first and third round pick in 2009 and a first round pick in 2010. That's TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS and a third. The bears did send Orton to Denver.

I can't see how people could argue the Pats won the trade. QB's are tough to come by and are expensive to sign. The market for a young starting QB is pricey, and the Chiefs were lucky only to give up a second for Cassel. 

And don't tell me the Pats had to trade Cassel while the Broncos could've kept Cutler. Cutler wouldn't even return a phone call to McDaniels. They needed to trade him.

Again, I'd take Brady any day of the week but that's not the argument. I'm happy with Chung too but that doesn't mean the Pats couldn't have held out for more compensation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

In Response to Re: Revisting the Matt Cassell and Mıke Vrabel Trade:
    Okay, let's put it another way. Would people rather have Jay Cutler or Matt Cassel? Answer that question first. For Cassel, the chiefs gave up a second round pick while also receiving Mike Vrabel. For Cutler, the bears gave up a first and third round pick in 2009 and a first round pick in 2010. That's TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS and a third. The bears did send Orton to Denver. I can't see how people could argue the Pats won the trade. QB's are tough to come by and are expensive to sign. The market for a young starting QB is pricey, and the Chiefs were lucky only to give up a second for Cassel.  And don't tell me the Pats had to trade Cassel while the Broncos could've kept Cutler. Cutler wouldn't even return a phone call to McDaniels. They needed to trade him. Again, I'd take Brady any day of the week but that's not the argument. I'm happy with Chung too but that doesn't mean the Pats couldn't have held out for more compensation.
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

I have to agree Chicago paıd too much for Cutler ...... Cassel was a steal incomparison

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Okay, let's put it another way. Would people rather have Jay Cutler or Matt Cassel? Answer that question first. For Cassel, the chiefs gave up a second round pick while also receiving Mike Vrabel. For Cutler, the bears gave up a first and third round pick in 2009 and a first round pick in 2010. That's TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS and a third. The bears did send Orton to Denver. ...I'm happy with Chung too but that doesn't mean the Pats couldn't have held out for more compensation.
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

Just because Chicago made a dumb trade (Orton is clearly a better QB and leader than Jeff George, er Jay Cutler), doesn't mean the Pats made a lousy one. I still don't get including Vrabel in the deal, but that aside Cutler was (allegedly) a franchise QB at the time of the trade, and Cassel was still regarded as unproven, and frankly until a few weeks ago, there was media talk that he may not be the long term answer in KC. He's played really well the last month or so, but before that was kind of uneven. 

I thought at the time of the trade that they could have gotten a bit more for him, but I also recall there being an urgency to get Cassel's contract off the books for cap purposes.  Maybe somebody has a better memory of that than I do?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Mike Reiss called it a solid trade due to market conditions.
    http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/02/trade_compensat.html

Jay Mariotti claimed "Belichick sent Pioli an extravagant Welcome Wagon gift, complete with wrapping and a pretty bow." lol
    http://jay-mariotti.fanhouse.com/2009/02/28/chiefs-sweetheart-deal-for-cassel-warrants-nfl-probe/

The urgency was that the Patriots had just signed Fred Taylor and Chris Baker and needed more cap space to shore up the defensive backfield.

The next day they re-signed James Sanders who turned down more money elsewhere.

A few days later they signed Shawn Springs and Leigh Bodden.

They also were reportedly interested in Julius Peppers.
    http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/03/report_patriots_3.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jaxxon. Show Jaxxon's posts

How can you not be pleased that Castle is having a really good year...but I would wait until he plays (probably) a significantly tougher schedule next year before you select him for the Pro Bowl.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from neali. Show neali's posts

Cassel is a better QB then Rivers put that down in writing please !  next topic
    Posted by hoyle

Are you kidding me? If we didn't have TB would you really want Cassel over Rivers? The guy that played through the ACL injury in 2007. He is the best of the rest. Brady, Rivers, Brees, Mattie Ice tie Gomer, then maybe Cassel.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I agree that the Cutler trade was dumb, but front offices get silly when dealing for a QB. The other poster was right about the Pats needing to get $$$ off the books. I'm sure if they waited they could've gotten a first but they wanted to sign a bunch of guys. 

In Response to Re: Revisting the Matt Cassell and Mıke Vrabel Trade : Just because Chicago made a dumb trade (Orton is clearly a better QB and leader than Jeff George, er Jay Cutler), doesn't mean the Pats made a lousy one. I still don't get including Vrabel in the deal, but that aside Cutler was (allegedly) a franchise QB at the time of the trade, and Cassel was still regarded as unproven, and frankly until a few weeks ago, there was media talk that he may not be the long term answer in KC. He's played really well the last month or so, but before that was kind of uneven.  I thought at the time of the trade that they could have gotten a bit more for him, but I also recall there being an urgency to get Cassel's contract off the books for cap purposes.  Maybe somebody has a better memory of that than I do?
    Posted by Muzwell

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

In Response to Re: Revisting the Matt Cassell and Mıke Vrabel Trade : KC aınt makıng the playoffs because ........  Come on JBOLT Norv will self explode before the seasons out. Cassel is a better QB then Rivers put that down in writing please !  next topic
    Posted by hoyle

Gotta say I told you so JBOLT Wink

Sections
Shortcuts