Rex builds Sanchez's confidence

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

Rex builds Sanchez's confidence

From the N.Y. Daily News sports page, 11/14/11:
     Sanchez made a crucial mistake when on instructions in his helmet from the sidelines he called a timeout before a third-and-goal from the Pats 2 late in the first half. Sanchez called time with about 17 seconds left on the play clock. He realized immediately he should have let the clock run down before asking for time.
     Ryan questioned him on the sideline and then told NBC at halftime it was the “stupidest play in NFL history.”
     It is entertaining to read the opponenets' view of the games,  especially when the Pats Win! Of course.
     Did you read Greg Bedard's article. The season is over. The Pats win the AFC East and loose in the play-offs Extremist.

Go Pats

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

Re: Rex builds Sanchez's confidence

GOOD POST

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

In Response to Re: Rex builds Sanchez's confidence:
    [QUOTE]Why bother?  Both will be looking for work come February.
    Posted by dmpc[/QUOTE]

Maybe some of the sports writers should be looking for work. I think that Ryan is entrenched in N.Y. Sanchez career may be in doubt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

Good post, I was going to bring this up myself.  Yes it was a dumb play, but Rex hung his QB (a young impressionable QB) out to dry there.  Obviously Rex was mad that Pats score a TD with 9 seconds left, but you gotta keep your composure.  How can you expect players to keep theirs if you cannot?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]Good post, I was going to bring this up myself.  Yes it was a dumb play, but Rex hung his QB (a young impressionable QB) out to dry there.  Obviously Rex was mad that Pats score a TD with 9 seconds left, but you gotta keep your composure.  How can you expect players to keep theirs if you cannot?
    Posted by IraqSteve[/QUOTE]

Lots of coaches have been successful with a more "aggressive" attitude should we say.  Parcells won Super Bowls with it.  Mike Ditka was legendary for ripping QB's and won a SB.  Hell even Lombardi let his players hear it on the sidelines.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I don't really have a problem with this.

The Sanchise was installed as the starter from day one and he has had the benefit of some solid talent around him, and has enjoyed a modicum of success that he, himself, has done little to acheive. At some point he is going to have to start being responsible for what happens. I tend to agree that, of the two, the guy who's going to be looking for work first is Sanchez.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]I don't really have a problem with this. The Sanchise was installed as the starter from day one and he has had the benefit of some solid talent around him, and has enjoyed a modicum of success that he, himself, has done little to acheive. At some point he is going to have to start being responsible for what happens. I tend to agree that, of the two, the guy who's going to be looking for work first is Sanchez.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Well, I kind of hope that thery don't give up on Sanchez. Just about anyone would be an improvement.

Maybe he and Rexy can go down with the ship together?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I really expected more from Sanchez this year.  I was wrong, and gladly so.  He has enough talent around him to be more effective than he is.  He can look like Montana one minute and then he can be just awful.  Consistency is not his strong suit, which is likely why he'll never be great. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rex builds Sanchez's confidence : Lots of coaches have been successful with a more "aggressive" attitude should we say.  Parcells won Super Bowls with it.  Mike Ditka was legendary for ripping QB's and won a SB.  Hell even Lombardi let his players hear it on the sidelines.
    Posted by Patsman3[/QUOTE]

Here is the difference between Lombardi and Starr and Ryan and Sanchez:
     During a practice Lombardi chewed out Starr. Starr just took it and kept on going like a cool professional (like TB). But after practice Starr sat down with Lombardi. He told him that chewing him out like that undermined him as the team's leader on the field; tHat he deserved criticism but that in order to strengthen his leadership, not undermine it, perhaps the coach could deal with him differently. Lombardi never chewed him out in front of the team again. And certainly never publicly.

Now this annecdote doesn't mean this is the only way to coach. But it highlights a difference between a Lombardi and just a blowhard bully as well as the difference between a HOF like Starr and a nothing special second tier player like Sanchez.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rex builds Sanchez's confidence : Here is the difference between Lombardi and Starr and Ryan and Sanchez:  During a practice Lombardi chewed out Starr. Starr just took it and kept on going like a cool professional (like TB). But after practice Starr sat down with Lombardi. He told him that chewing him out like that undermined him as the team's leader on the field; tHat he deserved criticism but that in order to strengthen his leadership, not undermine it, perhaps the coach could deal with him differently. Lombardi never chewed him out in front of the team again. And certainly never publicly. Now this annecdote doesn't mean this is the only way to coach. But it highlights a difference between a Lombardi and just a blowhard bully as well as the difference between a HOF like Starr and a nothing special second tier player like Sanchez.

Valid point, but the media is so much more intrusive today than Vince Lombardi or Bart Starr could have ever imagined. I'm actually surprised more coaches don't get caught saying exactly what they think during these idiotic sideline "gotcha" moments.

Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]Posted by JetMangione[/QUOTE]

Are you still here?  Why?  Jets are 0-2 this season vs the Pats maybe it's time for you to move on over to the Bills forum.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rex builds Sanchez's confidence : Yes because teams often fire head coaches and QBs that win 24 games in two years while going to the final 4 both years.  Teams often dump a QB that has done the same in his first two years in the league.  You see it all the time.   I find it amazing that the coach that hasn't won a playoff game in three years and is living off the success of 7 years ago still has a job. 
    Posted by JetMangione[/QUOTE]

It was more success (times 3) than your team has enjoyed for, what, 4 DECADES?  Interesting that you trivialize it.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

In Response to Rex builds Sanchez's confidence:
    [QUOTE]From the N.Y. Daily News sports page, 11/14/11:  Sanchez made a crucial mistake when on instructions in his helmet from the sidelines he called a timeout before a third-and-goal from the Pats 2 late in the first half. Sanchez called time with about 17 seconds left on the play clock. He realized immediately he should have let the clock run down before asking for time.  Ryan questioned him on the sideline and then told NBC at halftime it was the “stupidest play in NFL history.”  It is entertaining to read the opponenets' view of the games,  especially when the Pats Win! Of course.  Did you read Greg Bedard's article. The season is over. The Pats win the AFC East and loose in the play-offs Extremist. Go Pats
    Posted by DavidSeattle[/QUOTE]

Rex needed something to whine about so he didn't have to admit he got out coached. As it turned out the loss of that time out had no effect at all on the outcome of the game as the Jets were toast with 8 minutes left in the 4th

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatrickMcFinn69. Show PatrickMcFinn69's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rex builds Sanchez's confidence : No, never said it was a 'pinacle', it's just better than being unable to win a playoff game, that's all and it's just not something coaches get fired for.  Wait, I've heard this before (about 3 weeks ago) "Rex has lost his team, Jets can't recover from this loss...." in fact, I think I heard it last December too and the December before that. Who didn't know that Tom Brady is one of the best?  Who didn't know that if you make mistakes against Brady, he's going to make you pay?  Who didn't know that he is capable of making up for poor defense and no running game with his smarts and with his arm?  Is this news to anyone?
    Posted by JetMangione[/QUOTE]

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rex builds Sanchez's confidence : 1969
    Posted by PatrickMcFinn69[/QUOTE]

Memorable moments of 1969

The Beatles break up
    First moon landing
    First Woodstock concert
    Manson/Tate Murders
    Penthouse's first publication
    First draft since WW2
    Jets go to and win Super Bowl

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I like Sanchez as a personality
    He gives proper respect to everyone
    I think he rolls his eyes at how Rex opens his mouth.

but the Jets fell in love with his personality
    They also bet the farm at the begginning of the year that
    Sanchez was ready to step up and be the MAN.
    Unfortunatey his throwing mechanics are a bit suspect

I always thought he got too much praise for being
    the winning QB in 4 road games - it was the defense
    not him. Vince Young won most of games only scoring about
    16 points - doesn't make you a Hall of Famer

It was almost sad to see how Rex realized last nite that his
    team isn't what he thinks it was. Rex also relies too much on
    Psyching up his players

We heard it last nite by collinsworth
    the Jets were jazzed up about this game
    The Pats were acting like just another game-
    Which is the better way of doing business?

Tannebaum will eventually put a shiv in Rex's back
    Tennebaum was a snake with Mangini
      (they deserved one another)

Personally I think Woody/Tenebaum/Rex are not a great team
    Next year will be worse for the Jets.
    The fans and the papers are going to be all over
    him for not delivering - If you brag about something - you better
    deliver

Once fired - it will be very hard for Rex to get another job
    especially as an assistant - He will be made for TV.
    Lets see - Herm, Mangini and then Rex???

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts