Rex issues another challenge. Says his defense is elite and they will win the division this year.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WelkerRules. Show WelkerRules's posts

Rex issues another challenge. Says his defense is elite and they will win the division this year.

Any of you guys read this article on nfl.com
    I will copy and past it. Forgive me for the extra junk at the end.

NEW YORK -- Rex Ryan has issued a challenge to anyone who thinks his Jets defense will be anything less than elite.

"Put your negative comments out there," New York's confident coach said Tuesday, "and we'll see what happens at the end."

If you ask Ryan, there's no doubt what his aggressive attacking-style defense will accomplish this season. Or any season, for that matter. He talked up his guys while he was the coordinator in Baltimore, and he has done the same since taking over as coach in New York.

"I wouldn't trade this defense for anybody's in the league," he declared. "You're not going to be perfect, but will we end up being the best defense in football? I think so. Believe me, the least concern I have is about our defense. I think our defense is going to be outstanding."

It's hard to argue with Ryan, who has established the Jets as one of the defensive powerhouses in the NFL. New York finished third overall last season, and Ryan made a tongue-in-cheek apology during training camp for not being No. 1. There has been criticism of the team's pass rush -- or lack thereof at times -- and the inability to close out games at times during the last two seasons.

"There are some areas where we felt we took a step back and our focus this offseason once we got back into camp was correcting that," safety Jim Leonhard said. "I think we've done a great job here in the preseason. We're really looking forward to kicking it off against Dallas and making that march back to where we want to get."

And that's back to the AFC Championship Game for the third straight year -- but this time, they plan to win it and go to the Super Bowl. The defense will need to be even better than it has been, and the Jets know that.

"He wants to be known as having a great defense year in and year out," Leonhard said. "Just with the talent that we have been able to keep on this defense, and the guys we were able to bring back through free agency, we feel very confident that we are going to have a successful year."

www.nfl.com/freeagency">
    The NFL free agency cycle is in full effect, with teams and players agreeing to terms fast as training camps open. Get the latest on all the news right here.

The Jets allowed the Giants to roll up 224 yards in the first half of their 17-3 victory Monday night. But they also kept them out of the end zone by taking advantage of turnovers as Leonhard and linebacker David Harris had interceptions. And that's all that matters in Ryan's eyes. In three preseason games, the starting defense has allowed 13 points.

"We're where we thought we'd be," he said. "I think it's going to be one of the premier defenses."

Just don't label it a bend-but-not-break unit.

"That's not the type of defense we want to play," Leonhard said.

It helps that Leonhard is back healthy from a broken leg, linebacker Calvin Pace's foot is healed and cornerback Darrelle Revis is in camp for a full summer after a contract holdout a year ago. And, other than losing defensive end Shaun Ellis in free agency, the main pieces of last year's unit are still here.

Throw in two promising rookies in first-round pick Muhammad Wilkerson, who'll be a starter at defensive end, and third-rounder Kenrick Ellis, a big nose tackle, and the talent to be dominant is there.

Wilkerson has had a decent if unspectacular preseason, and thinks he has improved with each game. He certainly made an impression Monday night when he got into it with Giants running back Brandon Jacobs -- and both were tossed from the game for throwing punches at each other.

"I was just pass rushing and he came up to pass protect and I ran into him the first time, the ball was thrown and he approached me, threw a blow at me and that's what it was," Wilkerson said. "I retaliated. Was it a smart move? No. Do I regret it? No. It's football and I am not going to let somebody try to take advantage of me. It's over with now."

While the Jets didn't condone one of their players fighting, they appreciated the passion from the rookie out of Temple.

"It was a hard-nosed football play and it ended up where it ended up, which was unfortunate," Leonhard said. "But you do like to see that. He's not backing down. He's going to be an aggressive player for us."

Wilkerson will get some more opportunities to make an impact Thursday night, when the Jets play in their final preseason game against the Philadelphia Eagles. Ryan said the veteran starters will not play, but youngsters such as Wilkerson, Ellis and Kyle Wilson will see playing time.

Otherwise, the game will be filled with several players fighting for roster spots, including outside linebacker Aaron Maybin. The former Buffalo Bills first-round pick played a bit with the Jets' first-team defense against the Giants so Ryan and the coaches could see how he fared against top competition.

"I think he's going to have to do more," Ryan said.

Maybin, the No. 11 overall draft pick two years ago, was a bust in Buffalo and is trying to jump-start his career with the Jets. He'll have one more game to prove himself to Ryan.

"He's going to have to show us he's that pass rusher he has a chance to be," Ryan said. "I think he can play in this league. We'll see if he can play for us."

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

Guidelines: Fan feedback should be within the guidelines for the NFL community. These guidelines will be used to identify those comments that will be removed from display on the site. Please keep your comments relevant to the topic, not abusive or combatant towards other fans, and don’t share any personal details. Use the “Report” link to help keep the community at its best.

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in | Register
    Submit
    The previous element was an advertisement.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Rex issues another challenge. Says his defense is elite and they will win the division this year.

Well the outlook doesn't look so bright according to their own... Broadway Joe!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WelkerRules. Show WelkerRules's posts

Re: Rex issues another challenge. Says his defense is elite and they will win the division this year.

I read that by Joe. He didn't sound to positive at all. Maybe rex should check that interview out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Win the division?  What about the Super Bowl.  Sounds like he's losing confidence is his team

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Last year the jets beat two good teams in the 16 game season. How impressed should anybody be with that? I don't see such a team winning the division. They made some noise again in the playoffs squeaking by the depleted Colts and exploiting a Pat's D that was infamous for its 3rd down ineptitude. The long grind of the season isn't their cup of tea. If they don't have a spotlight they are as ho-hum as they come.

If they had Brady, they would be scary. And if BB can put a major league D on the field, the Pats will be scary. Subtract 3 wins from each this year for a tougher schedule. The Pats will win the division again at 11-5 even with a D full of the same old stiffs, and the jets will hover around .500 and probably miss the playoffs, great D or not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In Response to Re: Rex issues another challenge. Says his defense is elite and they will win the division this year.:
    [QUOTE]The defense will absolutely be elite.  There are a handful of players in their second year in the system... after being a top five D in their first year.  Unlike last year, a healthy Revis & Pace.  Added a couple of the best DLmen in the draft and more depth than 2010.  Clearly, this D will be better than 2009s... and that was a historically great D.
    Posted by McCheaters[/QUOTE]

Remember when Moss owned Revis and then he pulled up with the injury coincidentally? Cool

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

MC Cheater the jets D is one pinkie away from a 8-8 season :P
    Clearly Rex and his mouth are due for some bad luck. As for Sanchize he has proven to be everything and more then the  typical hype job USC QB

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Haha see man, you don't like it either when someone makes an idiotic, ridiculous comment so stop doing it here so much

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

McCheaters.....he's going to run your team into the ground.......as a fan , don't you get sick of his talking?.....and don't you want him to actually accomplish something?...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In Response to Re: Rex issues another challenge. Says his defense is elite and they will win the division this year.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rex issues another challenge. Says his defense is elite and they will win the division this year. : Is that what you call that?  I just thought it was typical Patriot fan speak.  I'm just so used to it, I guess.

Lol I was making an attempt at pi$$ing you off. I was hoping for a better response filled with name calling and whatnot but I'll take what I got. Don't get your typical Patriot fan speak remark though, you make comments like this all day long

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

do you want a funny SOB McCheaters? or a winner?

right now you just have a funny SOB

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Your 1's didn't look like they could stop the Gints 1's running the ball Monday night. It looked actually quite easy. Jacobs averaged 5.1 and Ware  4.6. If you cant stop the run your going to have a long season. I cant see Snachez coming off the bench 2 or 3 times a quarter *cause them grind it out drives* and being very sucessful.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rex issues another challenge. Says his defense is elite and they will win the division this year. : Really?  You don't get it?  This board is filled with comments about meaningless plays, how other teams are lucky, how all he calls go against NE, how something should have happened, even though it didn't.  People here seem to confuse what is true and what they wish was true.

My point was I don't get it from you since you do the same thing. I'm guessing you post at a Jets board too? You must have noticed that the same stuff goes on at every single team's message boards, not just here. The real question; however, is: have you ever kissed a girl? Huh huh huh?!?!? Lol Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]The defense will absolutely be elite.  There are a handful of players in their second year in the system... after being a top five D in their first year.  Unlike last year, a healthy Revis & Pace.  Added a couple of the best DLmen in the draft and more depth than 2010.  Clearly, this D will be better than 2009s... and that was a historically great D.

Historically great?  It can't be historically great unless it has a nickname like Steel Curtain.  What is the nickname of the Jets defense?

You would be better off getting used to the fact that the Jets are not going to win the Super Bowl in your lifetime.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rex issues another challenge. Says his defense is elite and they will win the division this year. : Success 6 years ago means nothing.  I'll take the guy that was top 4 last year over the guy that couldn't win a playoff game. 

So if the Patriots win it all this year, will you just go away?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Maybe New Jersey fan should go ask San Dago fan what, exactly, you get for having "top-rated" offenses or defenses.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

He made the same prediction in 2009 and 2010.  If, and that is a BIG IF, the Jets do win the division, he will only have been "finally" right and only 1 out of the past three predictions.  Even a blind squirrel will find a nut once in a while as will Rex's predictions be right once in a while!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The thread's title is a two part challenge.  Is the defense elite, and will they win the division?  To win the division the Jets need an offense.

Monday night against the Giants, the Jets offense was 0 for 6 on third down in the first half.

Well, how did they do on first and second down?  Did they gain at least 10 yards on first and second down combined?

Yes they did.  Near the end of the half, the Sanchize completed a 15 yard pass on second down.

But that's it, for an entire first half.  I don't know if the Giants were trying out any second or fourth team defensive players by then.  The first game of the season was 12 days and 13 hours away for the Giants, and cutdown date comes before the first game.

Anything else for the Jets offense?

Oh, and the Sanchize fumbled the football once.  The Giants recovered.

Fortunately for the Sanchize's reputation, Rex handed the offense a bunch of do-overs.  On three fourth downs in the first half, Sanchez got the call as opposed to the punter or the field goal kicker, and the offense responded two times out of three on fourth down. 

How could the Jets win even the NFC West division with an offense like that?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rex issues another challenge. Says his defense is elite and they will win the division this year. : Don't forget the part about over the guy who hasn't won a playoff game in three years. 

Or the part about a certain team that hasn't won anything significant in 42 years . . .  if that's the game we're playing.

Change the parameters however you like, Jimmy . . .   you've simply got nowhere to stand.