Rex's former boss Brian Billick believes Ryan knew about "The Wall"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Rex's former boss Brian Billick believes Ryan knew about "The Wall"

This is from profootballtalk.com and I'm providing a link:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/17/does-anyone-believe-ryan-westhoff-didnt-know-what-alosi-was-doing/

We’ve talked to plenty of league sources and insiders this week regarding the incident that occurred on Sunday in the Meadowlands, when Jets strength coach Sal Alosi, standing in formation with five others, stuck out a knee and tripped Dolphins gunner Nolan Carroll.

And no one with whom we’ve spoken — no one — believes that Jets coach Rex Ryan and/or Jets special-teams coordinator Mike Westhoff didn’t know what Alosi was doing.

Most have spoken about it off the record.  On Thursday, one of Ryan’s former bosses in Baltimore was blunt.

Of course Rex knew about this,” former Ravens coach Brian Billick told ESPN Radio’s Mike & Mike in the Morning.  Ryan worked for Billick for nine years, so we’ll defer to Billick’s knowledge and opinions in this regard.

Though no one (to our knowledge) has said on the record that Westhoff knew, we continue to hear from a reliable source (as opposed to our usual unreliable sources) that Westhoff knew, too, despite Westhoff’s denials.

How couldn’t Ryan and Westhoff know?  As we’ve said before, www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jzpssk-iXU">watch the video.  Rex Ryan is standing with the Alosi alignment in plain sight.

As to Westhoff, we continue to be befuddled by his belief that the Patriots and other teams are engaging in similar tactics and in Westhoff’s view it’s no big deal, while Westhoff insists that he’d never engage in such behavior, even though he thinks it’s no big deal.  Then there’s the fact that Westhoff claimed as of Wednesday to have knowledge about other teams’ behavior in this regard, but that “before this happened I never really looked at anybody’s sideline in all my years.”

Thus, we are to believe that, with the team mired in a two-game losing streak, Westhoff spent significant time on Monday and Tuesday reviewing enough tape of multiple other teams to detect for the first time in his 29-year pro coaching career that multiple teams use non-players as roadblocks for gunners.  And he’s OK with that, even though he has never done it once.  In 29 years.

What of the reality that Alosi and others were doing this in plain view of anyone on the sidelines?  We realize that things can get hectic during a game, but to believe that this had been happening on a consistent basis right under Ryan’s and Westhoff’s noses means that they knew about it and they’re now covering it up — or that they’re too incompetent to have noticed.

Speaking of a cover up, we’ll continue to be suspicious that Alosi is taking the fall for others as long as his employment with the Jets continues.  As we pointed out the other day, Alosi’s wrongdoing assumed a higher level of culpability when he lied to the team and the media on Monday about not instructing others to stand on the edge of the white stripe in the hopes of limiting Carroll’s ability to run out of bounds.  Most employers will immediately fire an employee who lies within the confines of an internal investigation.

If Alosi isn’t fired, we’ll assume that his ultimate punishment for stupidly sticking out his knee while otherwise doing what he was told to do will be assuming the public blame for telling others to stand there.  If he instead ends up leaving the team, it likely will come after he has signed a document that states unequivocally that no one else told him to do it — along with a document that gives him a severance package in exchange for a waiver of all claims and, more importantly for the Jets, a commitment to never talk about the situation publicly or privately.

As one league insider explained it to us, strength coaches simply aren’t involved in on-field tactics.  On game days, they’re not really “coaches” at all.  Their work is done.  Strength coaches aren’t typically going to think of strategies for helping the on-field interests of the team, and if in the rare case a strength coach does indeed have an epiphany about something that could benefit the cause, he’s not going to implement it without telling the head coach or the special-teams coordinator.

Then there’s the fact that the Jets have trotted out tight end Jeff Cumberland to publicly place all the blame on Alosi.

He never really just gave a reason,” Cumberland said, per ESPN. “He just said during punt return, ‘You just stand right here by this line, everybody just stand right here.’  There wasn’t really a reason why.  But we kinda figured just in case somebody ran over here.”

As Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com reports, the league is now actively investigating the Jets for using inactive players to form a sideline wall during punts, and for Westhoff’s decision to publicly accuse the Patriots of doing the same thing.

Plenty of league insiders are now rolling their eyes, given the widespread belief that the league office tends to look the other way when it comes to the Jets.  One league source says that at least five owners firmly believe that, for whatever reason, the league office is inclined to go easy on the Jets.

The league office currently has an opportunity to debunk that perception — or to solidify it.

And while the reality remains that other teams have indeed done the same thing, the Jets’ apparent failure to come clean from the get go has given this thing legs (other than Alosi’s), once again proving the adage that the cover up is always worse than the crime.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Re: Rex's former boss Brian Billick believes Ryan knew about "The Wall"

Midway reading through this, it occurred to me that another difference between this and the Pats taping is that the Pats fully cooperated with the NFL investigation.  The Jets are not. 

How on Earth can the commish not pull some of their picks and levy huge fines? It was overt cheating. A player could have been seriously injured. They stonewalled the investigation.  They are lying.  There is a cover-up.  Way worse than the Pats taping...which the Jets were also doing post-memo, we all recall.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

One league source says that at least 5 owners firmly believe that, for what ever reason, the league office is inclined to go easy on the Jets.
    Gee, what reason could that be?  Goodell needs to punish them for their act of lying, blaming the Pats, and the wall which RR is standing right next to, or step down immediately.  Ridiculous!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Wow. Unusually insightful journalism. I can't believe someone actually reported that the league is easy on the Jets. 

Of course it has nothing to do with the fact that Goodell used to be a Jet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The notion that Ryan was out of the loop on this is patently preposterous.

I went on a much lengthier diatribe about this in another thread, but -- long story short -- Ryan is either lying or he's an idiot . . .

or both.

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3af3c965ce-e769-4e41-b349-756fc5f550ec

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Rex's former boss Brian Billick believes Ryan knew about "The Wall":
    [QUOTE]Midway reading through this, it occurred to me that another difference between this and the Pats taping is that the Pats fully cooperated with the NFL investigation.[/QUOTE]

Very good point here.

I hope Kraft is holding Rogie's hair weave to the fire on this one.  NE and the Krafts take way too much heat simply because the Jets try to smear them publicly.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Maybe someone can provide some clarity on this issue for me.

We know the tripping/kneeing is illegal and the guy should be fired.  After that it gets grey for me.  If the Jets (or any team for that matter) did form a line on the sidelines and they were behind the white line and not in an illegal spot did they do anything that is actually against league rules?  Could it be considered unsportsmenlike?  I would think yes, but I am trying to figure out if they actually broke any rules that they can be penalized for.

I absolutely believe Rex and the Special Teams coach knew about it as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Dear Phat Rex,

They would need someone on the team to confess saying Rex Ryan ordered the code red.

For more explanation, please enjoy this scene from A Few Good Men to help your brain comprehend the situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hGvQtumNAY

Second, any team responsible for an employee's actions off the field of play, are held responsible.

The Jets quickly suspending Alosi without pay smells like a way to quickly avoid more attention.

Finally, Westoff could be the source of sanctions for the Jets because he accused NE of setting up a wall without proof.  There is a definitive rule of slandering another team without proof via the NFL office.

Let's see if Rogie Goodell actually stays consistent with how his rules read.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I have read conflicting things:

1) It is legal...or should we say, "not illegal."

2) It is illegal - those players should be behind another line beyond the sideline.

If number two is correct, I have also heard that these kind of rules are only enforced when the spirit of the rule is violated, i.e., interference in the play of game, which is exactly what the Jets did.

The biggest issue is the cover-up and scape-goating. Tripping, bad.  Lying in a NFL investigation, really bad.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In Response to Re: Rex's former boss Brian Billick believes Ryan knew about "The Wall":
    [QUOTE]Maybe someone can provide some clarity on this issue for me. We know the tripping/kneeing is illegal and the guy should be fired.  After that it gets grey for me.  If the Jets (or any team for that matter) did form a line on the sidelines and they were behind the white line and not in an illegal spot did they do anything that is actually against league rules?  Could it be considered unsportsmenlike?  I would think yes, but I am trying to figure out if they actually broke any rules that they can be penalized for. I absolutely believe Rex and the Special Teams coach knew about it as well.
    Posted by Patsman2[/QUOTE]

I think the rule is that players are supposed to be behind the coach's box and not in the coach's box during play.

I don't think it's strictly enforced but in this case it was an organized effort.  They were even all dressed alike.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

It is illegal to have players in the coach's box during a play. Period.

It is also illegal to trip a player during a play.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]I have read conflicting things: 1) It is legal...or should we say, "not illegal." 2) It is illegal - those players should be behind another line beyond the sideline. If number two is correct, I have also heard that these kind of rules are only enforced when the spirit of the rule is violated, i.e., interference in the play of game, which is exactly what the Jets did. The biggest issue is the cover-up and scape-goating. Tripping, bad.  Lying in a NFL investigation, really bad.
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

Setting up the wall was an illegal act.This is from ESPN.com:

NFL vice president of football operations Ray Anderson has reviewed the play and he said what Alosi ordered was illegal. At the owners meetings in Fort Worth, Texas, he cited two NFL rules about where players, coaches and support staff are supposed to stand.

When asked if they were in violation of the rules, Anderson said: "Yes."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nZone. Show nZone's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe someone can provide some clarity on this issue for me. We know the tripping/kneeing is illegal and the guy should be fired.  After that it gets grey for me.  If the Jets (or any team for that matter) did form a line on the sidelines and they were behind the white line and not in an illegal spot did they do anything that is actually against league rules?  Could it be considered unsportsmenlike?  I would think yes, but I am trying to figure out if they actually broke any rules that they can be penalized for. I absolutely believe Rex and the Special Teams coach knew about it as well.
    Posted by Patsman2[/QUOTE]

Inactive players are not allow to stand where they were standing.  Rule violation. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

[QUOTE]Dear Phat Rex, They would need someone on the team to confess saying Rex Ryan ordered the code red. For more explanation, please enjoy this scene from A Few Good Men to help your brain comprehend the situation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hGvQtumNAY Second, any team responsible for an employee's actions off the field of play, are held responsible. The Jets quickly suspending Alosi without pay smells like a way to quickly avoid more attention. Finally, Westoff could be the source of sanctions for the Jets because he accused NE of setting up a wall without proof.  There is a definitive rule of slandering another team without proof via the NFL office. Let's see if Rogie Goodell actually stays consistent with how his rules read.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Dear Leon:

I hope you are doing ok with your jets in such turmoil.  If they win this week you can switch back to your old name again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

lol!

Phatty Rex trying to deflect away from his Jets fandom.

We all anxiously await "PatsMan3". 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Think about it this way.  Has anybody ever complained, coach, fan, or player, about the use of the wall until some idiot coach trying to make himself part of the game took it upon himself to trip the gunner?  Ryan knew about it, I'm sure the Pats, if they do it, is because Belichick knows.  And I'm sure other NFL teams are pushing the limits on things that are borderline illegal.  It's frontier justice.  Your gunner wants to run down the sideline and take liberties with the rules, then we'll use a wall and take liberties with the rules.  Simple as that.    

I personally think that the Jets look very petty in all this for pointing the finger elsewhere to avoid the fact that their coach cheated and got caught.  But let's not pretend that this crap doesn't happen elsewhere, this isn't a knitting circle we're talking about, it's the NFL.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

so patsman2 is a troll ......its been a while since a real live troll has ventured into this wilderness

someone take of it

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Well it appears they finally found a defense that Crable can play.

Sections
Shortcuts