RG III...Washington's Monumental Bust?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

RG III...Washington's Monumental Bust?

Count me among those who have been less than impressed by the preseason performance of RG III. Based on what I've seen thus far in 2014, he has still not fully recovered from that knee injury he suffered during his rookie season. His cat-like quickness is gone, and his confidence appears to be in tatters. Folks, even if RG III soldiers on to become a decent starter in the NFL, was he worth three (3) high #1 draft choices? 

Perhaps I'm being hasty in my judgment, but it appears to me that back-up QB Kirk Cousins is a better choice for Jay Gruden's offense. If the Redskins could sucker some QB starved team to part with a #1 draft choice for Griffin, I'd recommend that they make that deal in a NY minute. 

But, post 2014 draft, few teams remain that might be persuaded to make such a move. Though I have too much respect for Bill O'Brien to think that he'd pull the trigger on RG III, the Houston Texans are currently being led by the awful Ryan Fitzpatrick. The Jets, Arizona Cardinals and Dallas Cowboys could also be candidates. But, with the start of the season just two weeks away, it's doubtful that they would make such a huge QB move, until next season. 

The QB mess aside, the Redskins do appear to have a decent OL and DL, and a good stable of RBs and WRs. Unlike in seasons past, I wish them well...and send out a hearty HAIL to team owner Danny Snyder, for refusing to buckle to the media and PC crowd regarding the changing of his team's name.     

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: RG III...Washington's Monumental Bust?

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Count me among those who have been less than impressed by the preseason performance of RG III. Based on what I've seen thus far in 2014, he has still not fully recovered from that knee injury he suffered during his rookie season. His cat-like quickness is gone, and his confidence appears to be in tatters. Folks, even if RG III soldiers on to become a decent starter in the NFL, was he worth three (3) high #1 draft choices?

Perhaps I'm being hasty in my judgment, but it appears to me that back-up QB Kirk Cousins is a better choice for Jay Gruden's offense. If the Redskins could sucker some QB starved team to part with a #1 draft choice for Griffin, I'd recommend that they make that deal in a NY minute. 

But, post 2014 draft, few teams remain that might be persuaded to make such a move. Though I have too much respect for Bill O'Brien to think that he'd pull the trigger on RG III, the Houston Texans are currently being led by the awful Ryan Fitzpatrick. The Jets, Arizona Cardinals and Dallas Cowboys could also be candidates. But, with the start of the season just two weeks away, it's doubtful that they would make such a huge QB move, until next season. 

The QB mess aside, the Redskins do appear to have a decent OL and DL, and a good stable of RBs and WRs. Unlike in seasons past, I wish them well...and send out a hearty HAIL to team owner Danny Snyder, for refusing to buckle to the media and PC crowd regarding the changing his team's name.     

Seems RG3s biggest problems was when he went out and had a great rookie year. Now the expectations are high and if he doesnt get back to form he will look as if he regressed. This is all true but is it fair to call him a bust due to injury?  How can you even be a bust after having one the best rookie seasons for a QB in NFL history?

Either way, he still does not look healthy as you say and when he went to run one time, he tried to slide and came up limping. He needs to first, learn how to slide without causing further harm. (I wouldnt ask Brady for advice on that) I am not here to say weather or not he was worth 3 1st round picks but if we are to be fair, we should wait until after the 2015 season to accurately assess(not donkeys BDC!) him. Based on his rookie year alone, I wouldnt count him out that quickly. I saw the talent. He has more weapons now. Reed and Jackson are explosive. The D is top notch(as we found out, their D line dominated us) and so preseason is to knock off rust.

So yea I agree he could fall off a cliff, but Its hard to call him a bust but you can go ahead and start preparing that Tavon Wilson Bust in Canton if you'd like. That one is in the books! LOL

You were all over that..  RG3 a bust?! Well now Rusty has someone else who agrees with him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

We may have watched two  on the field last night.

+++ on the Snyder comment, although Snyder won't admit he s wrong and deal RG, he's already fired one coach, If Gruden can't get RG right , he'll be gone too.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

RG3 hasn't really fully recovered from that knee injury imo.  That said, I think it's a bit premature to call him a bust.  Let's see how he does this year after some time in the present system.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

RG III is "too small". LMAO!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

The biggest issue is his ego.  He thinks how he has behaved and handled himself shows good leadership.  I would cut bait today and take a 2nd or 3rd and run.

If the Redskins out him on the block he would yield a 1st and a 2nd to be honest.

I still think he could turn into a good NFL QB, but the trade wont be worth 3 1sts unless he wins them a SB (most likely isn't happening)

Anyway, some bad team with a need to sell tickets would pay a 1st and 2nd for him no doubt... Raiders, Rams (if no Bradford), Titans, probably the Jets, Bills, etc/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I quite frankly didn't think he was worth all that the 'skins gave up to get him. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Was the trade dumb?  Yes

Is RGIII a bust?  At this point no.

Is Cousins the answer?  No.  He had one good game two years ago when RGIII was injured and has looked overmatched since.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I think i called it the worst draft day trade since ditka sold out for rickey williams.

It may be worse.

Of course, I was mocked for that opinion, too.  Lol

Rg3 is vick.  Manziel is vick.

They are not nfl ready qbs.  They are too small and think that they can run their way through their progressions and their development.

Skins are cooked for years by wasting all of those picks.

The biggest issue is his ego.  He thinks how he has behaved and handled himself shows good leadership.  I would cut bait today and take a 2nd or 3rd and run.

That is funny because you are mocked for ALL your opinions here!

Why you call every running QB Mike Vick is puzzling. Here is a guy who did well enough to earn a 100 million dollar contract, go to jail and come back later and get a job and he is STILL in the league!  And THIS is the guy you choose to Prop up as the Great Bust of the NFL??  Where can I sign up to be a Bust!?  How are the skins cooked when they drafteed 2 QBs that year?  Going with Kirk Cousins isnt a bad thing and they have a Good D that they can lean on and RB in Morris.  They actually are set and can trade RG3 if they like and go w/Cousins.  Or Maybe the Skins will ask for Mallet in a trade! Surely Mallet is better than Cousins, no?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

If you ask a poodle to be a Labrador Retriever you find out in short order it don't work.

If you ask RGIII to be the classic pocket passer you are doing the same thing.

RGIII is a run type QB who can throw a bit, not vice versa. They are afraid of him getting hurt so they are asking him to be something he is not.

Let RGIII be RGIII and good things will happen. If he gets hurt again, which is likely, then the blame is simply asking another running QB to survive long term in the NFL. I believe I am on safe ground in stating only a select few have had long NFL careers as runners.

Washington must accept the injury issue going forward. They should have realized it going in.

Let him be RGIII and keep your fingers crossed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealBustchise. Show TheRealBustchise's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I think i called it the worst draft day trade since ditka sold out for rickey williams.

It may be worse.

Of course, I was mocked for that opinion, too.  Lol

Rg3 is vick.  Manziel is vick.

They are not nfl ready qbs.  They are too small and think that they can run their way through their progressions and their development.

Skins are cooked for years by wasting all of those picks.

That is funny because you are mocked for ALL your opinions here!

Why you call every running QB Mike Vick is puzzling. Here is a guy who did well enough to earn a 100 million dollar contract, go to jail and come back later and get a job and he is STILL in the league!  And THIS is the guy you choose to Prop up as the Great Bust of the NFL??  Where can I sign up to be a Bust!?  How are the skins cooked when they drafteed 2 QBs that year?  Going with Kirk Cousins isnt a bad thing and they have a Good D that they can lean on and RB in Morris.  They actually are set and can trade RG3 if they like and go w/Cousins.  Or Maybe the Skins will ask for Mallet in a trade! Surely Mallet is better than Cousins, no?

When you mock someone, the person should probably be able to be mocked.

Kinda funny how most of my predictions are pretty darn accurate.  People like you get angry when i seemingly take an unpopular view on something, be right in the end, and you apparently feel dumb for being suckered.

Vick sucks.  He is a primadonna, entitled loser as is rg3 and manziel.

I can spot phonies a mile away.  It's a gift.  One you apparently don't have.

Not having a pick in the last TWO drafts is why they are cooked.  Are you really pretending that will not hurt them?

All their good players are just renting space on the skins roster.

Yes, Queenie, I recall how you predicted that the rebuilding Jets starting a bunch of rookies would drop 30 on the world champion patsies.  Good call.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

The QB mess aside, the Redskins do appear to have a decent OL and DL, and a good stable of RBs and WRs. Unlike in seasons past, I wish them well...and send out a hearty HAIL to team owner Danny Snyder, for refusing to buckle to the media and PC crowd regarding the changing his team's name.     

Seems RG3s biggest problems was when he went out and had a great rookie year. Now the expectations are high and if he doesnt get back to form he will look as if he regressed. This is all true but is it fair to call him a bust due to injury?  How can you even be a bust after having one the best rookie seasons for a QB in NFL history?

RESPONSE: Why do you think Johnny Manziel dropped in the draft? GMs didn't think he could stay healthy. What difference does it make whether a player fails because of lack of talent, or injury? Ras-I Dowling had the talent to succeed, but kept getting hurt. A Bust can be a bust for either reason.

Either way, he still does not look healthy as you say and when he went to run one time, he tried to slide and came up limping. He needs to first, learn how to slide without causing further harm. (I wouldnt ask Brady for advice on that) I am not here to say weather or not he was worth 3 1st round picks but if we are to be fair, we should wait until after the 2015 season to accurately assess(not donkeys BDC!) him. Based on his rookie year alone, I wouldnt count him out that quickly. I saw the talent. He has more weapons now. Reed and Jackson are explosive. The D is top notch(as we found out, their D line dominated us) and so preseason is to knock off rust.

RESPONSE: RG III is what he is. It's was his threat to run along with his passing accuracy that made him such a devastating player in college. In the NFL, playing QB is all about reading defenses, staying poised in the pocket, a quick release, and great passing accuracy. 

So yea I agree he could fall off a cliff, but Its hard to call him a bust but you can go ahead and start preparing that Tavon Wilson Bust in Canton if you'd like. That one is in the books! LOL

RESPONSE: Again, a Bust is a draft choice that doesn't pan out, for whatever reason. The higher the player was picked, the worse the magnitude of the Bust.

You were all over that..  RG3 a bust?! Well now Rusty has someone else who agrees with him.

RESPONSE: Rusty agrees with me on this? Perhaps I need to reconsider. LOL!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

If you ask a poodle to be a Labrador Retriever you find out in short order it don't work.

If you ask RGIII to be the classic pocket passer you are doing the same thing.

RGIII is a run type QB who can throw a bit, not vice versa. They are afraid of him getting hurt so they are asking him to be something he is not.

Let RGIII be RGIII and good things will happen. If he gets hurt again, which is likely, then the blame is simply asking another running QB to survive long term in the NFL. I believe I am on safe ground in stating only a select few have had long NFL careers as runners.

Washington must accept the injury issue going forward. They should have realized it going in.

Let him be RGIII and keep your fingers crossed.

Exactly.  I don't know how many here remember Raymond Berry trying to turn Doug Flutie into a Pocket Passer.  Doug was a scrambler and a make things happen type of QB.  And besides he couldn't even see over the offensive/defensive line never mind be a pocket passer.  I could only imagine if the Patriots had built an offense around Flutie but Berry was stubborn and tried to make Flutie into Johnny Unitas.  LOL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Count me as one who thought the Redskins paid too high of a price for him to begin with.

It wouldn't surprise me if Shannahan ruined RGIII's career.  Stupid what he did in the playoffs.  Then he was brought back too early last year.  

Pocket passers are what the NFL is about.  Read the defense and protect the football.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I don't like him anyway.  I didn't like the way he handled his relationship with the coach last year.  He acted like a diva who was more valuable than the coach and ended up getting his way.  Not defending Shanahan, but a QB in his 2nd year should be seen and not heard.  You wouldn't even hear future HoF QB's like Brady and Manning disrespecting their coach.  I remember the look on Manning's face when his coach decided not to go for an undefeated season.  He was livid inside but never became unprofessional about it.  He didn't bash his coach.  He was a class act.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to carawaydj's comment:

I don't like him anyway.  I didn't like the way he handled his relationship with the coach last year.  He acted like a diva who was more valuable than the coach and ended up getting his way.  Not defending Shanahan, but a QB in his 2nd year should be seen and not heard.  You wouldn't even hear future HoF QB's like Brady and Manning disrespecting their coach.  I remember the look on Manning's face when his coach decided not to go for an undefeated season.  He was livid inside but never became unprofessional about it.  He didn't bash his coach.  He was a class act.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

Agreed. Great post!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The entire concept of a running quarterback is suspect. 

Two bad things happen to a running quarterback.  First, he gets gunshy more quickly because he gets hit more.  Second, he gets injured more quickly because he gets hit more.

Many quarterbacks need years to get good in the NFL.  A running QB is pretty sure to get injured before he gets good.  A pocket passer such as Tom Terrific keeps growing;  this is Brady's 15th NFL season and he's at the top of his game right now. 

One notable exception to the no-running rule:  Big Ben Roofies of Pittsburgh.  If you weigh enough, you don't get hurt as much when you scramble and when you get tackled.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

The entire concept of a running quarterback is suspect. 

Two bad things happen to a running quarterback.  First, he gets gunshy more quickly because he gets hit more.  Second, he gets injured more quickly because he gets hit more.

Many quarterbacks need years to get good in the NFL.  A running QB is pretty sure to get injured before he gets good.  A pocket passer such as Tom Terrific keeps growing;  this is Brady's 15th NFL season and he's at the top of his game right now. 

One notable exception to the no-running rule:  Big Ben Roofies of Pittsburgh.  If you weigh enough, you don't get hurt as much when you scramble and when you get tackled.

Big Ben uses his strength and mobility to avoid and escape pass rushers, and rarely takes off up-field. Ditto Russell Wilson. Wilson uses his mobility behind the line of scrimmage to escape pass-rushers. Like Big Ben, he throws well on the run, and takes liberties up-field judiciously. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

More food for thought on RG III:
    http://standingosports.com/main/2014/01/09/washington-redskins-robert-griffin-iii-wearing-welcome/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

HAIL TO REDSKINS!!!!

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/hail-to-the-redskins-nfl-must-save-name-image-legacy/25861/

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Did anyone besides me happen to watch the Redskins @ Ravens game? Both top defenses impressed...especially the Washington "D". Great pass rush, and they hit hard. With regards to the Ravens, it's looking like WR Steve Smith is going to be an outstanding acquisition for them. In this game, he was the best WR on the field

That aside, once again, RG 3 was terrible. He's pressing, doesn't throw well from the pocket, and is nowhere near as quick and speedy as he was in his rookie year. Furthermore, it appeared that his OL and RBs are going through the motions for him, and seemed to play much better when Kirk Cousins was behind center. Yes, Griffin was facing the first team Raven "D", but I believe that Cousins did as well, on his first series. Folks, it looked to me that Cousins is the better QB. Joe Theismann agrees: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/24/joe-theismann-kirk-cousins-has-outplayed-rg3/ ;

Sections
Shortcuts