Ridley fumble

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Ridley fumble

Coughed up a ball in the Denver playoff game last year and was benched rest of the playoffs. I wonder if he coughs one up again does he get benched again?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Ridley fumble

I doubt the bench him even if he does fumble.  He's a more developed player overall this year than he was last hear.  Belichick put him back in even after he fumbled in the SF game.  Plus he really is the main true running back.  Last year, BJGE was.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I don't think he'll fumble, but if he does, BB will look at him and say "get your crap together, because you're getting the ball next drive." Time to grow up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Something tells me he will be protecting that ball. I noticed two weeks ago he was runing and protecting that ball pretty darn good.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

The problem is who would you start over Ridley if you bench him? Last year, Green-Ellis was the lead, workhorse back so you just give the rush duties back to him. This year, Law Firm is gone. So who would you put in instead? Shane Vereen and Danny Woodhead are both change-of-pace backs. I don't think either could handle the workload that Ridley does and perform effectively.

Brandon Bolden seems like a lead back type, but he's an undrafted rookie that has missed a lot of time. I would be surprised if Bill trusted him with a heavy workload in the playoffs.

I would hope Ridley has learned to be more secure with the ball, but even if he lets one loose on Sunday, I'm not sure we have any other options but to keep him on the field and hope he doesn't do it again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

We're not going to go far with anyone else other than Ridley as the main back, Woody is a third down back, Bolden is the power back who's good for goal line and short yardage and Vereen might be useful in spurts. 

No. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

i'm sure if he does, he'll probably not be benched-but I know TB will be giving hin hell. truth is rght now woody is the more versatile back becasue he can run, catch and does a good job blocking.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i'm sure if he does, he'll probably not be benched-but I know TB will be giving hin hell. truth is rght now woody is the more versatile back becasue he can run, catch and does a good job blocking.

[/QUOTE]

While I agree that Woodhead is the most versitile, he's also a mere 5'6 (Welker is 5'8 and he towers over Woodhead) with only 200 pounds of mass. To run him between the lines is suicide for him, he'll get killed going up against 6'1-6'5 300-350 pound DLmen. 

That's why it is best to use him in 3rd and longs when all the DBs come in because he's just as big and, in most cases, powerful. Most CBs are 5'10 195. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I sure hope they worked on Ridleys catching out of the back field.  The guy could be deadly in open space

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think if this guy fumbles tomorrow he will be so implanted on that bench that he may never get off. They will bring in Woodhead, Vareen, and Bolden. And I also think it will effect him going forward into next season as well...here is why...

If you can't count on your lead back to help you in the biggest games of the year, then that lead back shouldn't be your lead back. I know Ridley has done well this year, but we are not talking about Adrian Peterson here - I think if he srcews up like that again in the most important game of the year, they will start looking at other options going forward.

I personally think he will be fine tomorrow. I think they will sub guys in and out, like they usually do, and depending on the score he may not get a chance to be much of a factor either way. I imagine we'll see lots of Woodhead tomorrow...and Ridley to close the game out in the 4th.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

It will be interesting to see how things play out.   Let's hope there are no Patriot fumbles so the question becomes moot. 

I think there will be less distribution of carries between Ridley/Vereen/Bolden now that the Pats are in the playoffs.  In the reg. season BB tries to keep everyone fresh for the playoffs.  Now that they are here I think Vereen and Bolden sit more.  Not to say they won't get playing time.

But if someone fumbles I would not be surprised to see that player sit the remainder of the game.  They have depth now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Vareen after the 49ers game with his turnover didn't see many touches of the ball . I doubt he'll be the answer.

Ridley even after fumbling this season I saw BB put him back in altough this is the playoffs and I think he's holding a short straw. 

Hoping Bolden can give some support and Woodhead is Mr Reliable when needed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Most of the time Ridley fumbles when he try's to get that extra yard and the D stands him up and strips at the ball. He needs to learn when to go down in a no win situation. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

We should just bench him in case he fumbles. Fall back on Brady's right arm. It's worked so well in the past.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

No. The offense isn't heading into the playoffs on its best foot. They aren't peaking, or at least it doesn't seem that way. 

NE is going to need all hands on deck. Whatever happens, Ridley is going to need to be a part of it. He has a major role to play in these upcoming games. His running, specifically late in games, is something NE hasn't had. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No. The offense isn't heading into the playoffs on its best foot. They aren't peaking, or at least it doesn't seem that way. 

NE is going to need all hands on deck. Whatever happens, Ridley is going to need to be a part of it. He has a major role to play in these upcoming games. His running, specifically late in games, is something NE hasn't had. 

[/QUOTE]

He averaged 3.9 ypc the last half of the season. Is that your magic number? I remember somebody telling me last year that 3.9 ypc was terrible.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He averaged 3.9 ypc the last half of the season. Is that your magic number? I remember somebody telling me last year that 3.9 ypc was terrible.

[/QUOTE]

He did play some strong run defenses though (ex. Houston, San Fran, Miami twice). Plus, Gronk's injury is a significant factor that I think is often overlooked when evaluating our offense this latter half of the season. Not enough can be said about Gronk's presence. He run blocks like a lineman and he draws coverage like Megatron. Needless to say, our offense would have been even better had Gronk's arm not been injured.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to kevin13130's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He did play some strong run defenses though (ex. Houston, San Fran, Miami twice). Plus, Gronk's injury is a significant factor that I think is often overlooked when evaluating our offense this latter half of the season. Not enough can be said about Gronk's presence. He run blocks like a lineman and he draws coverage like Megatron. Needless to say, our offense would have been even better had Gronk's arm not been injured.

[/QUOTE]

Plus the whole offensive line played terrible down the stretch, until that last game where they played a little better. A lot of factors went into the down turn in the offense over the last few games. They need to play well, and it's going to take all their players. Ridley being very important there. 

And yeah, you cannot underestimate how much this offense suffers with Gronk out -- even if they can drop some big numbers on bad matchups, it's not the same. He makes the 2TE work as a power running/power-possession passing formation. 

He is still so young, but I cannot think for the life of me of a better combo TE. No one has the devastating blocking and pass receiving and red zone threat that Gronkowski has. Not one.

Some catch as well, some block as well, some are boxy long end zone TEs. None are all three at such an elite level but him. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

New England is on a 9-1 tear right now, and as for that one loss where San Francisco recovered 7 of 8 fumbles, when the Patriots were down 28 points they came right back.  The offense just set a new NFL record for first downs in a season.  And now, all hands are on deck.  What best foot did you have in mind? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

New England is on a 9-1 tear right now, and as for that one loss where San Francisco recovered 7 of 8 fumbles, when the Patriots were down 28 points they came right back.  The offense just set a new NFL record for first downs in a season.  And now, all hands are on deck.  What best foot did you have in mind? 

[/QUOTE]

We managed 23 points against the Jaguars, and 28 points on the Dolphins. I think we can all agree that the offensive output against the Jags was pretty dismal. It might have seemed better against the Dolphins, but it wasn't where it could or should be. We failed to score until the Gregory pick that gave us a short field position. Plus, there were several drives that stalled where we should normally convert.

I do give the O some leeway in that Dolphins game though as the conditions weren't exactly ideal. It seeemd that the wind affected some of Brady's throws, so it wasn't all bad. We've just come to expect more out of the Patriots offense.

I agree with Z that this offense isn't peaking at this time, but I think it has the potential to. I mean, we've finally got Gronk and Hern both healthy. Our running back situation, I would argue, is as good as it has been all season (Vereen being involved, Bolden coming back). The O-Line seemed to get it together in that last (Miami) game. All that and the bye week hopefully sets our offense up to explode through this postseason.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The one that doesn't involve being a TD less per game scoring over the last four, double the seasonal rate of turnovers per game over the last four. Seriously, being realistic the offense was struggling a bit by their standards down the stretch. Basically every number declined. 

Yes, missing Gronk had something to do with it. 

But don't sugar coat it by saying they are 9-1. 

You know very well, once you are in the playoffs 9-1 means nothing. 

They will be facing nothing but top competition. 

Down the stretch, and during the whole season NE is a .500 ballclub against playoff competition. 

Those six games, three losses to SF, Seattle, and Baltimore, and three wins against an arguably weaker field of Houston, Indianapolis, and a rusty Denver early in the season, tell us more about what we can expect against Texas, Balt/Den, then SF/SEA/GB/ATL. 

Beating the tar out of the Jets twice, Buffalo twice, and Miami twice has almost zero bearing as a predictive example against much better competition. 

Unless this team is on their A game, they will get knocked out.

.500 = eliminated in the playoffs.