Ridley is Ridiculous

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BS10FAN. Show BS10FAN's posts

Re: Ridley is Ridiculous

In Response to Ridley is Ridiculous:
    [QUOTE]How about some love for my boy Ridley?  With BJGE getting stuffed attempt after attempt, Ridley comes in and shows speed, quickness and a burst.  There is no reason why this kid shouldn't be getting 15-20 carries a game.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

He should be the starter period..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

I agree Faulk had his day but let's give the young kids their snaps! Out with the old in with the new.In Response to Ridley is Ridiculous:
    [QUOTE]How about some love for my boy Ridley?  With BJGE getting stuffed attempt after attempt, Ridley comes in and shows speed, quickness and a burst.  There is no reason why this kid shouldn't be getting 15-20 carries a game.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Bump the original

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Ridley looked good....don't sleep on Vereen. When he gets healthy, he will shock many on this board

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Ridley is Ridiculous:
    [QUOTE]Ridley looked good....don't sleep on Vereen. When he gets healthy, he will shock many on this board
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

hey i woulda started the season playing these 2 to find out what we have.
    and not for 1 or 2 plays.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

I like P. Simms, he's always been Patriot backer.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Ridley was a question mark and still is in some ways imo. He's earned the right to get more carries and get them earlier in the game imo. He's not dancing behind the line, like earlier this year, and has that extra gear that BJGE doesn't. He's also a powerful runner so he can help wear down the D as much as BJGE did when he got solid carriers.

IMO Ridley should see a majority of the reps with Woodhead coming in on hurry up and as a change of pace. BJGE stills has a significant role though in my eyes. One thing Ridley hasn't proven yet is that he won't turn it over which is where BJGE comes in. On goal line, short yards, and to kill the clock I would still use BJGE. The reason being that in those situations you tend to have the bigger bodies closer to the line and the D is usually more aggressive at trying to rip the ball out at any cost in those piles. I want a player that has proven he won't turn it over in those situations. But, if Ridley continues to run like he has it's going to be interesting if BJGE sticks around or takes off for another team.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2012. Show mighty2012's posts

Ridley is a tap dancer.  Give us more Law Firm please.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

I thought BJGE showed "positive yards" and "fell forward" and "didn't fumble". So he did everything people expected of him. Why the criticism?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]We have a good combination of different types of backs right now. Given good blocking schemes and play design I see no reason why we can't get a good running game going when we need one. I hate to say it but I have to agree about Faulk. He has definately lost a step or two. He'll most likely retire after this season and I hope he stays with the team in some fashion. The guy is class, toughness and hard work but it's a classic case of willing mind vs a drop in physical ability. One thing's for sure. When he retires his number should go with him.
    Posted by Evil2012[/QUOTE]

This pretty much sums up how I view the Pats running game.  I note that when the Pats decided it was time to score inside the 1 they handed it to BJGE.  Ridley is, in my view, the RB of the future unless Vereen shows us something really special.

I've been a Kevin Faulk fan for years but I have to agree; time to hang it up Kevin.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Ridley is Ridiculous : I thought BJGE showed "positive yards" and "fell forward" and "didn't fumble". So he did everything people expected of him. Why the criticism?
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

tcal hates BJGE for some odd reason. He likes to call him Maroney lite

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Faulk is quite reliable, with oodles of experience catching and blocking for Brady, and that's why he needs a little bit of practice. 

He's also one of BB's changeup pitches. 

Faulk:  reliable, can pass-block with the best, can catch in the flats, shifty.  Right now he's Woody's backup.

Woody, even more shifty and so small the defense can't see which way he's cutting until about half a second later.  This causes occasional defensive disasters.  Not exactly a piledriver.

Law Firm:  never fumbled in his pro career, almost never loses yardage.

Ridley:  strong and pretty fast, can go around end.

Vereen:  faster, could take Faulk's role someday (but injured)

1.  Even if Faulk can't get it done quite like the others, he goes in because different types of runners mess with Denver's minds.  Clearly something messed with them for 41 points.

2.  BB needs backups to practice just in case.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

What Evil said.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The reason I prefer Ridley (ironically as I seem to be the godfather of "run more" threads) and why he is more dangerous than Law Firm besides simply being faster and more athletic, is that he can flex out wide in the pass game if a defense commits inside, in short he is more of a threat in the passing game. A linebacker won't be able to cover him and if Brady plays him like a receiver he'll be able to catch it. 

Law Firm is an absolute stiff trying to catch the ball, if it's not gently placed in his bread basket he drops it. He can't catch over his shoulder at all, so he is limited to running only and opposing teams know this, so we're telegraphing the run when he is in there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Think the Pats have a great strategy in the running game. In fact, I think they have a terrific personnel deployment in general offensively, which may be a bit ironic, given BB is supposed to be a defensive genius. But what BB has so brilliantly figured out is that 1) it is a passing league now, and 2) you need an unconventional approach on offense--hence the mulitple tight end passing game and the multiple type of running back. Having at least 3 RB's with different styles means the team can 1) change them out and thereby refocus the nature of their offense (e.g. runs more sweeps and screens with Ridley) and 2) engage in late game deception based on the patterns they have already established. For example, let's say BJGE has started the game and ground out his usual 25 yards on 10 carries, then is replaced by Woodley and Ridley for a quarter or two. When BJGE comes back in later and the other team figures of course the Pats are just going to pound it inside, Brady & Co can switch it up and throw BJGE a pass that no one expects. Really, it's kind of ingenious of BB, and though I am not as clear what his strategies are on defense, it does seem as though he does something a little similar there, since the D is always better later (until a game is out of reach for the opponent and they just play that stupid "prevent"). 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Ridley is Ridiculous": [QUOTE]The reason I prefer Ridley (ironically as I seem to be the godfather of "run more" threads) and why he is more dangerous than Law Firm besides simply being faster and more athletic, is that he can flex out wide in the pass game if a defense commits inside, in short he is more of a threat in the passing game. A linebacker won't be able to cover him and if Brady plays him like a receiver he'll be able to catch it.  Law Firm is an absolute stiff trying to catch the ball, if it's not gently placed in his bread basket he drops it. He can't catch over his shoulder at all, so he is limited to running only and opposing teams know this, so we're telegraphing the run when he is in there. Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE] I agree, the RBs they have are mostly predictable by what they can do and they need a guy who can pass and run well. If Ridley or Vareen can eventually bring that then I think they will get alot more carries because they can be kept on the field most of the game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

IMO, Benny is good in the red zone especially on goaline carries because you don't have to worry about him fumbling the ball and he usually sticks it in there.

Ridley should be used as the main back for most of the game. He has the explosiveness to get to the second level, the power to blow through defenders and the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield without much issue. Ball security and picking up the blitz is still an uncertainty but so far, I don't recall him fumbling OR getting Brady killed/hit/sacked yet this year.

Woodhead is and should always be in on third down and medium/long yardage. Having him in, on say a 3rd and 5, makes the D respect both the draw and the pass which causes issues for the defense.

Faulk, for the remained of this season, should be Woodhead's back up.

What I truly can't wait for is Vereen, who we will hopefully see more of next year. That kid has the making of an every down back. He is fast, if not faster then Woodhead. Can catch the ball very well, is powerful led all (RB's at the combine at the Bench press). Can't wait to see what this kid has to offer next season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

Ya, it's a great thing to have a stable full of healthy backs who have all brought an asset or two to the offense going into the end of a season.  when was the last time this happened?  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Yep...this is exactly what they should do. Anything else is just BB stubbornness.  BJGE at the Goalline...Ridley for the yards, with Woodhead sprinkled in.

[QUOTE]It's shameful that Faulk sees the field. You have to respect the guy but C'mon. It's obvious. He not helping them win games on the field. Be a mentor and ride the pine and give Ridley and Woodhead the ball with Law firm at the goaline.
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I'd like to see Ridley and Law Firm split 25-30 carries a game with Stevan starting.  So far I've seen him lay down some nice blocks, all this hand wringing hasn't borne itself out in game situations, I can't remember a time where he was supposed to get a rusher and completely missed, I think this is why he has been playing and Vereen hasn't.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Ridley was a question mark and still is in some ways imo. He's earned the right to get more carries and get them earlier in the game imo. He's not dancing behind the line, like earlier this year, and has that extra gear that BJGE doesn't. He's also a powerful runner so he can help wear down the D as much as BJGE did when he got solid carriers. IMO Ridley should see a majority of the reps with Woodhead coming in on hurry up and as a change of pace. BJGE stills has a significant role though in my eyes. One thing Ridley hasn't proven yet is that he won't turn it over which is where BJGE comes in. On goal line, short yards, and to kill the clock I would still use BJGE. The reason being that in those situations you tend to have the bigger bodies closer to the line and the D is usually more aggressive at trying to rip the ball out at any cost in those piles. I want a player that has proven he won't turn it over in those situations. But, if Ridley continues to run like he has it's going to be interesting if BJGE sticks around or takes off for another team.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

i agree on all those points.
    however, again, i would have played ridley and vereen earlier to see what value bjge would have to stay. ie how much to offer to stay. i would kind of like to add a potential fa feature back, without spending much, who can be 1 possible feature back (to hedge against the rookies becomoing such).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]The reason I prefer Ridley (ironically as I seem to be the godfather of "run more" threads) and why he is more dangerous than Law Firm besides simply being faster and more athletic, is that he can flex out wide in the pass game if a defense commits inside, in short he is more of a threat in the passing game. A linebacker won't be able to cover him and if Brady plays him like a receiver he'll be able to catch it.  Law Firm is an absolute stiff trying to catch the ball, if it's not gently placed in his bread basket he drops it. He can't catch over his shoulder at all, so he is limited to running only and opposing teams know this, so we're telegraphing the run when he is in there.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

yeah wozzy  i agree.
    do you remember the heat i took saying this after watching him in preseason?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]IMO, Benny is good in the red zone especially on goaline carries because you don't have to worry about him fumbling the ball and he usually sticks it in there. Ridley should be used as the main back for most of the game. He has the explosiveness to get to the second level, the power to blow through defenders and the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield without much issue. Ball security and picking up the blitz is still an uncertainty but so far, I don't recall him fumbling OR getting Brady killed/hit/sacked yet this year. Woodhead is and should always be in on third down and medium/long yardage. Having him in, on say a 3rd and 5, makes the D respect both the draw and the pass which causes issues for the defense. Faulk, for the remained of this season, should be Woodhead's back up. What I truly can't wait for is Vereen, who we will hopefully see more of next year. That kid has the making of an every down back. He is fast, if not faster then Woodhead. Can catch the ball very well, is powerful led all (RB's at the combine at the Bench press). Can't wait to see what this kid has to offer next season.
    Posted by GadisRKO[/QUOTE]

re:"Ridley should be used as the main back for most of the game. He has the explosiveness to get to the second level, the power to blow through defenders and the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield without much issue."

one person asked how do you know when i said the above in preseason.
    i didnt have the heart to tell them, "i watched him".

Sections
Shortcuts