Ridley Sickened By His Own Play

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

Re: Ridley Sickened By His Own Play

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I feel for the kid. BUt, I was stunned with his fumble the other night, just 6 says removed from the one in Carolina.  He has to know, if he is more careful in the red zone in Carolina, we win that game last week.

I think the solution to this probem is simple:

1. Scale back his touches.  Faulk was more lethal with less touches, on passing downs and with draws from the shotgun.

2. Establish a run with Bolden instead.

3. Do not use Ridely for short yardage situations.

IMO, he's more of a scatback style runner who happens to be bigger.  Blount is somewhat similar, where you look at their frames and you think "power back". The irony is, they don't technically use their frames the way they should.  Ridley wants to, it just appears he isn't aware when approaching contact.

He needs to get lower and what I like to call "ball up" where you make yourself tighter and smaller. He makes his target area bigger and wider. Look at the fumble.

Think MJ Drew and a runner like that. He has an advantage with his natural center of gravity which Ridley does not have, so Ridley needs to see he's about to be hit and then adjust. He's not adjusting.  Ray Rice is another example. Each is very low, which is really what you want. THis is why Woodhead absorbs hits so well, too. Woodhead is not a good in between the tackles runner, though.  He benefits of the passing game.

Ridley has very good vision and feel at the line, but when multiple tacklers converge, he isn't being conservative, balling up and protecting the ball.

I would use Bolden because he hits the hole a bit faster and sticks with it. So, what may only be a 2-3 yard gain on one carry, while not bad for an offense like this, those runs may eventually become larger and larger as the game goes.

But, if you're barely giving him 12 or 13 carries, he's not going to get the desired production.

If it's true his knee is only 75%, maybe rest him up some more until he feel closer to 100%. We will need a lead power back come January, and he's our best one. Been saying for months.

And, I am a big Ridley fan.

Nothing wrong with putting each RB and their skill sets into their best roles.  I would filter in Ridley and Vereen as Bolden's back ups on passing downs, because each Ridley and Vereen are very good off of draws, too. 

Bolden (60%), Ridley (25%), Vereen (15%)

The other thing, too:  USe more split back formations.  Vereen is like a slot WR a lot of the time now, so just move him back from the slot and vice versa.

One fumble, one turnover in an AFC Title game or SB can be the difference. I am a big, big believer in that which is why I've been so frustarted with Brady's reckless and wanted his pass attempts scaled back.

[/QUOTE]

Aaaaand the defense rests - can't believe the Pats haven't hired you - genius!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Getzo's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm rooting for this guy. 

I know I may be the only one, but he's grown on me.  He needs to just use both hands... 10-15 touches a game.  

[/QUOTE]

Getzo I am with you. I am really pulling for this guy and even bought an autographed jersey of his last year for my man room (get it early in the career when its cheap right?! LOL) But I am running out of patience. I am a big believer in karma and I feel like he showboats to much, and everytime he does the football Gods hit him with a fumble. Also I really appreciate you being the positive energy in the game thread the last few weeks! Keep the faith my brother!

[/QUOTE]

Quagmire - you hang in there too, Bro! Turn away from the dark side!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You guys are making a major mistake.   I have no problems allowing the player to prove they've learned, but this is his 3rd year and his 2nd full year of this being an issue, and now it seems to be peaking.

I would sit him for a few weeks, give him some looks in garbage time, maybe in some shotgun 3rd down looks behind Vereen, and then give him a shot late in the year to see how he looks again.

But, to just cross your fingers, with one guy's clear flaw possibly compromising a SB title is ludicrous.

If Ridley fumbles in the divisionals, title game or SB and we lose by a FG or something like we have lost SB 42 and SB 46 with that one stalled drive we should have had points from, we will look back in horror. It's why Brady's decision to throw to Gronk in that 4th qtr of SB 46 was so bad. It's so avoidable.

The beauty of BJGE as the lead back is that you knew you'd win the turnover battle, as long as Brady was good.

It's why our team won so many close games in 2010 and 2011.  You have to weigh what Ridley does and then look at what the fumble represents. If you are averaging a fumble per game, which is what he is doing now, that's one less drive. 

We won 3 SBs by a combined 9 points.  If we fumbled in any SB, we might have lost all 3. Antowain Smith never fumbled, nor did Dillon. Faulk didn't, mainly because he was used in spurts.   Ridley is essentially Faulk.  It's not a negative, it's acctually a positive to have a lesser used, lethal weapon.

In fact, in SB 38, Brady made that bad read in the end zone for the INT, and we almost lost that SB because of that.

In an age of parity, cap squelches on teams, the littlest advantage is huge. Why would we want to make it harder on our D after another Ridley fumble?

Our Dynasty Era Ds had that luxury not being out on the field so much.

[/QUOTE]

It amazes me (actually AMAZES ME!) that a fan of a team with our success over the last 15 - 20 years has nothing (actually NOTHING) positive to say ever (actually EVER)! I think that criticizing the Pats when they deserve it is fine and doesn't make you a "troll" (as many here believe)! But to never have a positive tone is what makes the other fan bases hate us!

Look at history! Winning it all isn't easy! Some folks don't know when they have something special!

I've often wondered while reading this board how some folks here would react to the intense media and fan scrutinity that these guys endure.  How many of us truly experience the physical and mental wear and tear of an NFL season at our place of employment?

I found the Peyton Manning "cut that meat" commercials very funny for this very reason! Man, I feel sorry for a lot of fans that they can't find anything positive with in their life.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That being said, his fumble percentages were not that bad from 2011-2012. 

[/QUOTE]

How are they in the playoffs?

[/QUOTE]

How are the other 31 teams doing in the play offs? You are so smart...I adore you...you obviously smarter than the rest of us! Congrats!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to genaro008's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ridley is humble and hard on himself. He can only get better . Many good running  backle had fumble issues early in their careers.

[/QUOTE]

Solid post

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Word is he already lost his job and will still play but be part of a rotation and likely not 1st man up. Once he shows he is serious about it, I imagine he gets his job back but its up to him at this point

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I know many of you here will be able to answer this better than I...

Ridley's fumbles..  Was he simply stripped of the ball, therefore bringing to fore the question he does not hold the ball tightly enough or, as I saw in the Broncos game, a well placed helmet hit which knocked the ball out?

I ask because in game after game, helmet hits directly on the ball seem to create more fumbles than anything else.  I have seen Ridley make plenty of runs in which he is being grabbed at and is holding the ball quite tightly.  One would think he'd have more fumbles if he is "strip" prone. Just askin'!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know many of you here will be able to answer this better than I...

Ridley's fumbles..  Was he simply stripped of the ball, therefore bringing to fore the question he does not hold the ball tightly enough or, as I saw in the Broncos game, a well placed helmet hit which knocked the ball out?

I ask because in game after game, helmet hits directly on the ball seem to create more fumbles than anything else.  I have seen Ridley make plenty of runs in which he is being grabbed at and is holding the ball quite tightly.  One would think he'd have more fumbles if he is "strip" prone. Just askin'!

[/QUOTE]

I didnt see the helmet hit the ball actually. Everyone assumes that but the guy actually hit the ball with his shoulder pad. His helmet was more in his chest. Either way, I thought the real cause was the spin move. Its ok to spin off a tackle, but in the hole probably isnt the best place to do it cuz thats when Linebackers look you up. Thats an open field move you make. take the 1 yard loss, live to play another down I say. I put that on Ridley cuz the ball wasnt secure which it should be when going thru the hole. Blount has ran the right way since coming here but just got KT FO

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Blount runs way too high all the time and if the first hole isn't there he won't get more than a yard. Ridleys spin in the hole was unwarranted as OG points out. I think collinsworth was the one who pointed out that Ridley should've taken the loss and played another down. Also horrible blocking on that play. Every time this year when they pull a guard or tackle to the inside it fails miserably please stop ruining those McD's

Sections
Shortcuts