Ridley vs BJGE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Re: Ridley vs BJGE

I think our lack of power running game last week was due to our lack of TE's. Gronk was the only TE that dressed and I believe Solder was starting for Vollmer?

You can't really have a power running game with a 1 TE set and no true FB in there.

Apparently the Pats worked out Lousaka Polite yesterday which is a good thing IMO. Hopefully we sign him and start running from the I formation more.

Now as for BJGE vs Ridley, its BJGE until BB sees something at practice that makes him believe that Ridley is better. BJGE is a proven commodity and he does not fumble. I hope Ridley continues to get reps as I would like to see him out there because he has looked very good with limited touches.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Ridley vs BJGE:
    I think our lack of power running game last week was due to our lack of TE's. Gronk was the only TE that dressed and I believe Solder was starting for Vollmer? You can't really have a power running game with a 1 TE set and no true FB in there. Apparently the Pats worked out Lousaka Polite yesterday which is a good thing IMO. Hopefully we sign him and start running from the I formation more. Now as for BJGE vs Ridley, its BJGE until BB sees something at practice that makes him believe that Ridley is better. BJGE is a proven commodity and he does not fumble. I hope Ridley continues to get reps as I would like to see him out there because he has looked very good with limited touches.
    Posted by GadisRKO

Good point about the lack of TE's affecting the power run game. I really hope that was it. I miss the FB too it always gave us another option. Anybody remember Marc Edwards or Heath Evans. Those guys always made some key plays and key blocks for us in limited action. I know the position is almost dead but teams like the Packers and the Ravens use the FB all the time!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReeGzUSMC. Show ReeGzUSMC's posts

BJGE is made of IRON as well.....When is he sitting out due to "turf toe" or some other weak injury?? The guys is ridiculously dependable...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Ridley looked legit. He also had a wicked blitz pickup in the 4th quarter. The really is the key to getting on the field here. NE has three phases for a RB. You need to be able to block (can't think of a player they let on the field that couldn't). And then you need to be able to run or catch. 

It looks like he can do the first two ... which bodes well. 

I am also interested in Vereen, but I would imagine as part of a more pass oriented role, he likely has a tougher playbook than Ridley at this point. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: Ridley vs BJGE : Can Polite catch?  I am not sure I want a roster spot wasted on a FB, but this may mean Faulk may not be ready and may be done. I would love to see more of a split back set behind Brady with a FB in there, even as a decoy. Would be more of a Marc Edwards/Heath Evans type thing with hopefully more of a methodical style at times or against certain opponents.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Yes, Polite can catch. He's not a prolific receiver, but you have to respect him in this domain. He brings a lot, and being 1 TE down, could add that blocking component that you need to spring the backs.

I'd be surprised if Ridley is not given more carries/time as the year goes on. he looked solid last week and will steadily improve.

Agree with ZB..The kid I really want to see is Vereen. To me, he provides the best mix of running, catching, pass blocking ability/potential on this roster. I don't know if we are holding him back or what, but he and Ridley combined would be deadly combo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

The difference I see is definitely visual....

BJGE runs hard....
    Ridley runs angry....

Obrien needs to wake up, and start using the talented backs he has. I like both backs equally....but really love that "angry" almost more vicious style that Ridley seems to have.

I say use them both.....a LOT more!!

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

Seems that the new definition for a sputtering offense is  points per game.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

Bigger question is, why dooesn't the head coach see the same problems with his hand picked offensive coordinator that you do?  In fact, Bill sees a problem with the D, why don't you?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Why not like both?  BJGE is a stud, I don't give a hoot what you say.  The man has attitude and he brings it to his game.  Sure Riddley looks good and I hope he's a stud too but I cannot fathom the disdain that many PATS fans have for this hard working, quiet success story named Green-Ellis.  I think it has to do with the fact that he went to schools that are not famous football programs, where he simply worked hard and excelled and that he was a free agent instead of the stud first round draft pick, like the woeful Reggie Bush.  Think about it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Why not like both?  BJGE is a stud, I don't give a hoot what you say.  The man has attitude and he brings it to his game.  Sure Riddley looks good and I hope he's a stud too but I cannot fathom the disdain that many PATS fans have for this hard working, quiet success story named Green-Ellis.  I think it has to do with the fact that he went to schools that are not famous football programs, where he simply worked hard and excelled and that he was a free agent instead of the stud first round draft pick, like the woeful Reggie Bush.  Think about it.
    Posted by Dessalines

+1 now lets use them more and 5ft6 woody a little less. Which would might require a few more plays with Brady under center. Whats wrong with that?

Point of interest.

Patriots averaged 137 yards rushing in each of their 24 wins in 09 and 10....

Patriots averaged 83 yards rushing in each of their 8 losses in 09 and 10....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

Posted by Dessalines

I don't dislike BJGE at all... he has proven to be a reliable back that doesn't turn the ball over, stays healthy and isn't afraid to lower his helmet for one more yard. 

I was screaming for more of BJGE when it was obvious that Moroney was not making the most of his carries.  BJGE looks like Adrian Peterson when compared to Moroney.... but in reality he is just as I said... a decent, reliable, tough back...

I am of the belief that Ridley deserves an increase of carries NOW so that he can become more comfortable and gain confidence early in the season while still rotating BJGE and Woodhead in to keep a steady - fresh ground attack as part of the game plan.

It would take the pressure off Brady if the ground game improved and there would be no down side to finding out early just how good Ridley actually is.

You already know what you have in BJGE and Woodhead.... 

Ridley could wind up being an ELITE running back.... the only way we are going to find out is to put his A@* in there and hand him the ball..!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

It's been stated earlier. Ridleys reps are fully dependent  1st and formost on his ability to pick up blitzes. Keeping Brady upright is the number 1 priority. 2nd is their confidence level in him with ball security. Belichick is huge on blitz pickup. When told that RB is one of the easiest positions to pickup he responded....

“I don’t agree with that. I’m sure there’s people that have different opinions, which is great, I’m sure I’m wrong about a lot of things. Blitz pickup, all the different blitz assignments, with various protections and all the combinations of blitzes that you see these days. I think that running back is, mentally, a very challenging position.

"Different run reads and the fronts teams run. Stunts on the ball snaps, reading coverages. Recognizing the man zone, combination man zones. Guys that are blitzing and guys that are faking that their blitzing but they’re really in coverage. Guys that start off in coverage and turn around and blitz.

"I think a running back’s job is very difficult. That’s not saying that everyone else on the field doesn’t have a tough job, too. I think they’re involved in every play to high degree, just like a linebackers are just like safeties are, just like all the people in the middle of the field are. You can’t hide that position. Whatever play you call they’re pretty involved in it. I think there’s a lot they have to do. I think it’s a very difficult position.”

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

BJGE is so solid that hes overlooked. I think a runnng back who avges 4.5+ plus ypc and NEVER fumbles is more than solid. If BJGE got as many carries as other backs hed be around 1200-1300 yards with 15-17 tds. He does the most with his opportunities. With that said, I do like the explosiveness that Ridley shows. He seems to have a burst thru the hole, but hes not a better OVERALL back, i would like to see 12-15 carries for bjge and 12-15 carries split between woodhead and ridley.
    Yea you heard me right id like 25-30 runs per game, opens up the play action, brady takes less hits, keeps our terrible d off the field, shortens the game so teams dont have a chance to come back, wears out opposing defenses etc.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I think people fell in love with BJGE because he is/was the anti-Maroney.  That is, he runs with a purpose, rarely gets taken down for a sizeable loss, and doesn't put the ball on the ground. 

That said, BJGE is neither a bruiser nor a break-away threat.  I'd use Ridley more and BJGE less until/unless Ridley shows me he can't do everything BJGE can do (except better).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think people fell in love with BJGE because he is/was the anti-Maroney.  That is, he runs with a purpose, rarely gets taken down for a sizeable loss, and doesn't put the ball on the ground.  That said, BJGE is neither a bruiser nor a break-away threat.  I'd use Ridley more and BJGE less until/unless Ridley shows me he can't do everything BJGE can do (except better).
    Posted by nyjoseph

I agree. Truth is BJGE is not going to run over people consistently or move a pile. Can he score at the one? Yeah, he can get you a yard. Can he convert a 3rd and three? I wouldn't count on it and really we haven't had a guy that could do that in a while...that's the problem. We are one dimensional on offense because we are just average at the running position. Who knows what we have in Ridley? And maybe he's not the answer either, but at some point they'll find out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Ridley vs BJGE : Well, according to our great offensive coordinating bozo, Bill O'Brien, Ridley has a "long way to go". I think it's O'Brien who has the long way to go.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

"has a "long way to go"."

thats a tape bb and his clones use to keep players humble. nothing wrong with it. but it doesnt mean a guy is not ready to be on the field. 

and z 
    ridley can catch too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Ridley vs BJGE : " has a "long way to go"." thats a tape bb and his clones use to keep players humble. nothing wrong with it. but it doesnt mean a guy is not ready to eb on the field.  and z  ridley can catch too.
    Posted by bredbru

Christ you're right! They could be asked about Tom Brady and they'd say he's got a long way to go.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Bigger question is, why dooesn't the head coach see the same problems with his hand picked offensive coordinator that you do?  In fact, Bill sees a problem with the D, why don't you?
    Posted by HaverhillBob

"why dooesn't the head coach see the same problems with his hand picked offensive coordinator"

bb going with what hes got. a coach in training. because hes not secure enough to have another legit guy as smart as him as part of the coaching staff/org.

i like bb. glad to have him. but we all have personality flaws. 
    kraft is afraid to  step in.

Sections
Shortcuts