Ridley vs BJGE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

Re: Ridley vs BJGE

In Response to Re: Ridley vs BJGE:
    Poor analysis. It's the same excuse irrationals used in the Jets playoff loss.  It's not how many carries.   It's when, the flow of the game, the calling, the adjusting, etc. When you shuffle BJGE onto the field after using Woodhead on a passing down, what does that tell the D, after you have been passing 80% of the time for the whole game? The better analysis would be to look at WHEN they ran BJGE in between each obsessive passing series in the first or second half. They guy had 13 TDs last year and your're running passes into the flat for Woodhead with 100 MPH rifle passes? Explain that one. You can't, it's dumb just like last week where it was 2nd and goal, they run a finesse draw from the 7 and then launch a pass out of the end zone because Branch was covered. Just run it twice or once with play action. Worst case, you go for it on 4th and goal from the 1. Use BJGE more, with Ridley as his rookie back up in the same vein. That's what they should do. It's fascinating to me how underrated BJGE is by this fanbase.  He's what Maroney wasn't. And you're talking to a HUGE Ridley fan. I just think it's asking too much to have Ridley be a lead back right now. Note two things on this first drive: 1. The Shotgun failure or no huddle failure running it. 2. BJGE basically gets 4 yards per carry, while not in the shotgun or spread. Like I mentioned before, the 1st drive was good getting him into it so Buffalo would need to look at it. But, by the second drive, they totally ignored it.  part of that was from the Arrington INT setting up NE at Buff's 35. So, skip that one, and go to the 3rd and 4th drives in the first half and pay close attention to how they start the 2nd qtr, with obsessive shotguns and no huddles, ignoring the run. Ridley had 1 rush for 3 yards, BJGE a handful with 2 being the 4 yard variety, RIdley only get those gashing runs, when NE had been obssessive with passing and then they finally started to run., Again, though, it's too late. They know what you're doing. So, total first half, they had like 5 runs and they were clearly for effect and not really meant to establish it. From there, Buffalo, adjusts again and we have no run game for the remainder of the 3rd and 4th qtrs. http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=310925002
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Curtis Martin took over early in his first year and Stevan does remind me somewhat of Curtis and his style of running.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dvegas74. Show dvegas74's posts

Our running game is best in the game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Ridley vs BJGE : Christ you're right! They could be asked about Tom Brady and they'd say he's got a long way to go.
    Posted by mthurl

:)
    funny and true

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I think Ridley should start. I'm not knocking Law Firm,but I think Ridley is a punishing RB that could handle the 20-30 carries a game. The Firm is a no nonsense runner Ridley is also a no nonsense runner as well, to me it seems that Ridley gets to the line faster and sees the cracks and seams better than Law Firm. Law Firm stays lower than Ridley through the line,but Ridley has superior leg strength to be able push through the line.Ridley has a better burst than Law Firm neither are 4.3 guys but that's where Woodhead comes in. Ridley is a much stronger impact runner,he is more likely to run through tacklers even if standing straight up,Law Firm can't he has to stay low to get his leg strength working. I've noticed that defenders get up slower than Ridley does and many stay on the ground for a few after tackling him you don't see that with Law Firm. Law Firm very rarely loses yards even when nothings there and usually gets back to the line of scrimmage,Ridley is strong enough to push a yard or two. Woodhead is a great change of pace guy and is probably Faulks replacement,Law firm should get his touches but I feel Ridley would give us a legit power back with enough burst to break one or two a game. I'm not saying Ridley is a C Dillion clone but he's close from what I've seen,only if he is that calibre RB we'll have him in his prime not in his twilight which would probably add a year or two to Brady career and make our passing game even more effective, if that's possible.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I forgot 1 point Law Firm right now is better at picking up blitzers than Ridley, but that is usually from experience, Kevin Faulk probably one of the best ever didn't refine that skill until his 3-4 year. Woodhead is really good at it which is why he will probably be Kevin Faulks replacement.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Truthfully Martin was described as a slasher throughout his career.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Ridley can catch Russ. He's already proven it albeit, not in a regular game. He caught a few balls in preseason and looked pretty comfortable doing it, and we know he caught his share at LSU as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to Re: Ridley vs BJGE : Explain how a guy with 1000 yards rushing in a pass first  based offense and 13 TDs is mediocre? He's never fumbled in his entire career!

OK, I will explain. BJGE has some very good attributes:
    1. You can rely on him to hold on to the ball
    2. He has very good instincts
    3. He makes quick decisions and is aggressive through the whole
    4. He has very good balance and determination

Taken altogether he generally gets as much as the O line gives him on a play. He generally gets an extra yard falling forward. ANd in short yardage or as he nears the first down marker that is nice to have.

But what makes him MEDIOCRE is that he is neither powerful enough nor fast enough to make drive changing plays. He might make a really good play but never a big and spectacular play. His TD run agasint Miami was very impressive. But it was not the sort of play that separates him from the heard of NFL running backs.

The long and short of it is that he has NO specific ability that puts him in the top 40% of the best from each of the 32 teams. Good. Yes. Dependable. Yes. Special. No.

1000 yards is a meaningless stat. In a 16 game season that is a whopping  63 yards a game. Not bad. But big deal.

Do not get me wrong - I like BJGE but last year's playoff game illustrates the problem - a D doesn't have to honor his skills because he will very very rarely make anyone pay for ignoring the run. Maybe he will get 6-9 yards. Once every three games or so he will break 10 yards. Once every 8 games he might break 20 yards.

If you want balance in the O it is nice to have BJGE to fall back on and to use in situations that are best suited to what he brings. But to me that SHOULD mean no more than 30 to 60 carries a year barrig injury to a stud.

BJGE is at best a role player and a dependable fall back guy. His presence on the field allows Ds to ignore the run.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking-11. Show Harleyroadking-11's posts

more of these two less of Woodhead and Eldeman. Just once I would like see an entire drive of nothing but running plays. Big power football and shed the finesse label.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

more or these two less of Woodhead and Eldeman. Just once I would like see an entire drive of nothing but running plays. Big power football and shed the finesse label.
    Posted by Harleyroadking-11

Me too Harley. Me too. I hope BB and Tommy are as ticked off as I am about the finesse label. History shows us it is not conducive to winning a championship. How can it be our offense?

RUN THE BALL.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Ridley vs BJGE : OK, I will explain. BJGE has some very good attributes: 1. You can rely on him to hold on to the ball 2. He has very good instincts 3. He makes quick decisions and is aggressive through the whole 4. He has very good balance and determination Taken altogether he generally gets as much as the O line gives him on a play. He generally gets an extra yard falling forward. ANd in short yardage or as he nears the first down marker that is nice to have. But what makes him MEDIOCRE is that he is neither powerful enough nor fast enough to make drive changing plays. He might make a really good play but never a big and spectacular play. His TD run agasint Miami was very impressive. But it was not the sort of play that separates him from the heard of NFL running backs. The long and short of it is that he has NO specific ability that puts him in the top 40% of the best from each of the 32 teams. Good. Yes. Dependable. Yes. Special. No. 1000 yards is a meaningless stat. In a 16 game season that is a whopping  63 yards a game. Not bad. But big deal. Do not get me wrong - I like BJGE but last year's playoff game illustrates the problem - a D doesn't have to honor his skills because he will very very rarely make anyone pay for ignoring the run. Maybe he will get 6-9 yards. Once every three games or so he will break 10 yards. Once every 8 games he might break 20 yards. If you want balance in the O it is nice to have BJGE to fall back on and to use in situations that are best suited to what he brings. But to me that SHOULD mean no more than 30 to 60 carries a year barrig injury to a stud. BJGE is at best a role player and a dependable fall back guy. His presence on the field allows Ds to ignore the run.
    Posted by portfolio1

what you have outlined in your post is what ive been saying.

"BJGE is at best a role player and a dependable fall back guy. His presence on the field allows Ds to ignore the run."

say this over and over too (and many people here are not understanding).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KorFan. Show KorFan's posts

As much as I like BJGE, in my opinion, I think he is better suited for Sammy Morris' role. I want to see what those two kids bring to the table. Give them chance plz!!! And like other poster said, Obrian has long way to go. I'm still not sold on him as our offensive coordinator.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

Poor analysis.  Use BJGE more, with Ridley as his rookie back up in the same vein. That's what they should do. It's fascinating to me how underrated BJGE is by this fanbase.  He's what Maroney wasn't. And you're talking to a HUGE Ridley fan. I just think it's asking too much to have Ridley be a lead back right now.

..Starting to get it now?  Like I have been saying... BJGE is an average RB that looked great when compared to Moroney... 

I have said that Ridley is the best running back the Patriots have had since Curtis Martin and he should be the featured back with BJGE as #2....

Yesterday Ridley had 10 carries for 97 yards = 9.7 YPC...  he also had a better day than Mcfadden by the way.

....  some of you posters that were ripping me for the threads I started about Ridley..  (you know who you are)... are you starting to smell the coffee yet?

...  Ridley is 5'11" 225lbs... that runs like a Gazelle (no not Giselle) and can catch. 

He's the real deal folks....  how about giving BB a slap on the a#@ for drafting this kid.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dpaul3614. Show dpaul3614's posts

I would have to agree with this assessment. Ridley is the more talented out of the lot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Gee, I wouldn't jettison Green-Ellis.  I thought the guy had a pretty good day yesterday.  Ridley was good too. This is the way the PATS are doing it.  Different backs for different things and also, the substitutions keeps them fresh.

I hope that the PATS keep with the balanced attack, it's so much less predictable and a decent rushing attack sets up the play action passing game that Brady excels at.  We need both backs and it is probable that soon, Faulk will come off the PUP and pick up where Woodhead left off.

Let's stop with the BJGE bashing, its silly, the guy is a pretty good running back, tough, durable, doesn't put the ball on the ground and almost always runs for positive yardage.  What else do you all want?  Darren McFadden?  Schon Greene?  Ladanian Tomlinson?  Puhlease....

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

This team is lucky to have two pretty good backs to take the majority of the carries.  BJGE is not an elite back but he is GREAT at finding the hole and getting positive yards.  He did it on a number of occasions yesterday when he could've been stopped for no gain.  Ridley can clearly get to the edge, and his extended workload may have been based on the fact that many analysts agreed that even though they're a decent defense, the Raiders' D isn't great at containing plays and setting the edge.  Enter Ridley, and he sort of proved it. 

I'm excited for Ridley, he showed a lot in preseason and in the past couple of games.  But BGJE isn't exactly a liability out there and the fact that both have pretty well rounded skills means that both will be fresh all year.    

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Benny deserves the starting job.  WHo starts here is irrevelent.  It took me a while to be sold on Benny, but i wont dismiss what i saw last year.  Yes, Ridley looks more explosive and I want him to get more carries, but Benny has never fumbled and usually gets positive yards and we know he can pass protect.

Even if its an even split, thats fine....but for Benny working as hard as he has, you let him keep the starter title, but its always good to have a change of pace back and 10-15 carries is good for Ridley and this all depends on how many times we run. Against bad run defenses, I would like to see 32-38 attempts. 15 from Benny, 15 from Ridley and 4-6 from Danny/Vareen.

Balance that with 20-25 passes from Brady and you got yourself a team again.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

Gee, I wouldn't jettison Green-Ellis.  I thought the guy had a pretty good day yesterday.  Ridley was good too. This is the way the PATS are doing it.  Different backs for different things and also, the substitutions keeps them fresh. I hope that the PATS keep with the balanced attack, it's so much less predictable and a decent rushing attack sets up the play action passing game that Brady excels at.  We need both backs and it is probable that soon, Faulk will come off the PUP and pick up where Woodhead left off. Let's stop with the BJGE bashing, its silly, the guy is a pretty good running back, tough, durable, doesn't put the ball on the ground and almost always runs for positive yardage.  What else do you all want?  Darren McFadden?  Schon Greene?  Ladanian Tomlinson?  Puhlease....
    Posted by Dessalines

Who's bashing BJGE?   ... I'm not sure how many times I need to say it.... I like BJGE and I'm sure glad the Pats have him.... he's a solid RB that doesn't turn the ball over and is not afraid to lower his helmut for one more yard... but he is not an elite running back and never will be.

Ridley has the size and skills to be an elite running back and I believe he is the best back the Pats have had since Curtis Martin.

The conversation is not about bashing BJGE.... it's about waking a few people up to how special Ridley is... 

It's a great problem to have when you have Ridley, BJGE.... Woodhead and Vereen waiting in the wings.

BJGE's leaping run yesterday was great....  I was screaming for more of him when Moroney was our feature back...  and he's proven to be a very solid back...  just not elite.

Ridley is the real deal... and he's only going to make BJGE better because the competition between them will raise his standards.... 

All Pats fans should be celebrating the fact that BB selected Ridley instead of complaining that BJGE's feeling might get hurt...  I think he'll be just fine when he's polishing his SB ring in the near future.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Doesn't have to be one guy or the other. They fill the same role, which is a Power running game. What I think we need to do is use "them" about 30-35 plays a game. Now this doesn't mean they have to run the ball all those plays but be on the field to open the offense up more then it is now. Still use shotgun and Woodhead/Faulk as the 3rd down role because they have a great skill set too.

Anyway, why does it have to be one guy or the other? They both ran well against a suspect Raiders run defense. Lets see if we can put together and offensive game plan that will utilize these guys against a better Jets defense. A playoff preview....if the jets make it that far.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LJB064. Show LJB064's posts

Really like Ridley - it's exciting to have a back like that on the Pats again.  Good in space - makes people miss.  Seems like we get a good, explosive guy in here every few years, but they don't seem to last.

But I really appreciate BJGE.   Hits a hole, keeps his legs moving and kills himself to get an extra couple of yards.  Can be counted on for four or five up the middle on early downs, when the D is expecting a run.  Hangs onto the ball.  As BB might say, "a football player."

Maybe it's just the old (very old) left guard in me talking, but I'll be impressed with Ridley when he's scored a couple (or 5 or 6) touchdowns for the Pats carrying a linebacker on his back, as BJGE has done.

But as many have pointed out, it's not a zero sum game.  We don't have to pull down one guy to praise the other.  The Pats excel at using the right man in the right spot, and I'm sure they'll keep on doing just that.

Sections
Shortcuts