Ridley Was Busy This Offseason

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Ridley Was Busy This Offseason

From rotoworld:

Stevan Ridley showed up to the Patriots' conditioning program "looking like a house" after adding "a noticeable amount of muscle" in the offseason.

Beat writer Jeff Howe suggests Ridley "might be even more difficult to tackle" now. In 2012, Ridley finished seventh in the NFL in rush yards after contact while tying Reggie Bush and Arian Foster for the 11th most missed tackles among running backs, per Pro Football Focus' charted stats.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Re: Ridley Was Busy This Offseason

Sounds great. Just hope he doesn't lose any of the explosion he had. He had pretty good straight-line speed, and could really hit a hole hard. Hope he maintains that ability, but also adds the power and strength that comes with the new muscle-mass.

Him, Vereen, and Blount could make a formidable tandem. I doubt Bolden makes the team, but if he does, it'll be over Blount, I'd imagine. Either way, there will be competition and we should have our best stable of RBs in some time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I always get a bit nervous when guys add weight because of the reasons you cited.  That being said at the very least it demonstrates he has been working hard which is always a good thing for a young player.  I would love to see him truck a few more guys this year.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

It's amazing how many here bash this guy. I am looking forward to him putting up even better numbers this year. It's unfortunate what happened in the playoffs, but I bet he never makes that mistake again. Size is a plus at this point, but I hope that doesn't take away from his ability to cut it up field.

what this kid really needs to work on is his pass catching skills, it will keep him on the field more and make our offense less predictable by not taking guys in and out if the game giving obvious signs to opposing defenses as to our game plan. Should be an interesting training camp with our RBs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I hope he increased the thinkness of his skull.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Uncool. He's the best RB we've had since Dillion left. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I like Ridley, favorite behind Gronk and Brady. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In response to freediro's comment:

It's amazing how many here bash this guy. I am looking forward to him putting up even better numbers this year. It's unfortunate what happened in the playoffs, but I bet he never makes that mistake again. Size is a plus at this point, but I hope that doesn't take away from his ability to cut it up field.

what this kid really needs to work on is his pass catching skills, it will keep him on the field more and make our offense less predictable by not taking guys in and out if the game giving obvious signs to opposing defenses as to our game plan. Should be an interesting training camp with our RBs.

+1

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

LOL!  Nice!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

I just hope the muscle he added was developed legitimately.  Last year It was Jermaine Cunningham that looked beefed up and we know how that turned out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

I just hope the muscle he added was developed legitimately.  Last year It was Jermaine Cunningham that looked beefed up and we know how that turned out.

Nah, Ridley is a class act. We're lucky to have him. He's always been a work-out warrior, the guy was 5'11 220 Ilbs last season. I wonder how much weight he added. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well at some point I think Ridley needs to find out what kind of runner he is going to turn into - he tries to run like a small man, without small man skills (speed, cutting, fakes). He did this spin move last year that I thought was an accident waiting to happen, because the guy is just not built like that. Maybe the extra weight will be a welcome addition...I just hope it's good weight/size.

Then again all of this could mean absolutely nothing, these guys are big to begin with, especially when they are not running as much in the off season. I remember seeing Ty Law one off season, he looked like a body builder. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

I believe he was talking about the Concussion he sustained during the AFC Championship game?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

I believe he was talking about the Concussion he sustained during the AFC Championship game?

Yes, the concussion caused by the helmet to helmet hit.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I'm not sure why so many believe Bolden is the odd man out at the position?  He was punishing defenses last year before getting suspended.  I just don't see how you let a promising rookie like that go. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Like Ridley a lot. And I don't see much wrong with his 'style' - there were fumbling questions his rookie season, but I believe he put the ball on the ground only 5 times last year through the playoffs and only lost three. You never want fumbles. but with the number of touches that is a pretty good number.

I also wonder how many backs will be carried this year - we have basically 5 and Vereen is making the team. I think Bolden and Blount are probably competing for one spot and they both have promise. And then Washington who is really just a returner. With injuries at TE and some fragility in the receiving core, I wonder if the team might only carry 3 to allow for an addition TE or WR. (or both.)

53 man roster is going to include some really tough cuts that will show on the other sideline in a number of games as there will be a lot of teams reading the cut sheets from the Pats very eagerly. Be nice if this year BB could make some trades at the end for future late picks rather than just cutting guys.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

BB isn't going into the season with less than 4 TE's and 5 RB's. Also you can pencil in all 6 members of the team who came from Rutgers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Ridley had a good season and that fumble against the Ravens was due to extra effort.  Can't fault him for taking a devastating hit while trying for extra yardage.  People getting on Ridley for that fumble fail to notice the soft fumbles that a guy like Ray Rice had during the playoffs.  He is a good RB, the Pats are glad to have him I'm sure.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Like the fact the kid has been working hard durring the off-season, like what the reported results are and have always liked him as a player.  Looking forward to how it plays out on the field.

I do wonder if there is room for both Bolden and Blount on this team. Time will tell.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

IMO, the Patriots have a solid RB corp.

I would like to see the Patriots use one of the RBs on a more consistent basis - meaning, designate a "#1" and use him for all facets of the game - blocking, running, screen plays, and play action.  The main reason? - to make it more difficult for opponents to figure out what play is being run.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:

I'm not sure why so many believe Bolden is the odd man out at the position?  He was punishing defenses last year before getting suspended.  I just don't see how you let a promising rookie like that go. 

With you on that bro.  IMO Bolden is better than Ridley, who needs glue on his hands to stop his disturbing case of fumbleitis.  No surer way to wind uo rindin the pine with BB!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

anonymia - the advantage of multiple RBs is that you have fresher RBs in the game at all times all season long, and are not as devestated when one goes down. And it is not like they do not all run all aspect of the playbook - Ridley does go out on pass routes, and runs wide, Vereen does run between the tackles, etc.

Silver - RBs all fumble because they touch the ball so much and when they do are liable to be tackled by ALL the defenders. Even the sainted BJGE lost two fumbles last year. Ridleys fumble numbers last year were pretty standard for RBs with his number of touches - so it isn't a problem. He is right around 1% of touches which is average. Blount however is at 2% which is not good!

I do like what Bolden showed at the start of 2012 - I thought he was very good. If he is back at that level, I think he sticks. Blount is tougher to predict - he was replaced last season and barely saw the field, but he is still very young and he produced 1000 yds his rookie campaign so obviously has some ability. Seems Schiano had problems with him for whatever reason as his 2nd year he had a much reduced role.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Guys we have a great running game this next season,Ridley can run 1000 yards, like Blount.Bolden could make some impact too, vereen receives passes, We don`t have a Adrian Peterson, but this guys here can complement each other, we will have a top 5 rushing attack this season