Ridley

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Ridley

IMO Ridley and Woodhead are clearly the better options right now. Faulk has struggled all season and Benny has struggled the last four games. I see Benny and Faulk getting stuffed over and over then behind the same line Ridley or Woody get twice the yards. Faulk should be an easy call, love the guy but I think his tank is empty and Woodhead is playing great. It looked like BB started sticking with Ridley in the second half except for power formations. I'm thinking it's an issue of trusting that he is waiting for his blocks and hitting the right spots but if he gets that down I believe he sees more touches than Benny most days.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I thought the mix of Ridley, Woody and Benny was effective. They all have different skill sets that can be used differently and this is effective.

42 points up after using a balance attack.  Much more efficient.

As much as I love Faulk, If I see him start another game, I am gonna go Tony Harding on him before the playoff game to ensure he isnt the feature back.

Let this guy coach up the pups or something, but Pleeeaaaase!  I cant stand it. Stop embarrasing this guy. He isnt doing anything nowadays. He is slow and old and tired.  Lets not stick out him out there just because and let him get a career ending injury. Sit the man down and say Thanks for a great career!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

I had to chuckle a little when I read your post...I was SCREAMING at the TV when Faulk was in there yesterday...I love kevin & all but his time is past...he's not close to what we have for youth/speed & explosiveness on the team now...Bill must just be doing it out of love for the guy as Faulk is one of the greatest Patriots of all time, his contributions durring the last decade were instramental in the Patriots string of success....HOWEVER, his time has come to retire & the future is with Ridley, Woody,Vereen & MAYBE BJGE.... 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

At this point I would prefer Ridley to get Bennys carries. If we continue to run out of the same formations(really is predictable offense) I would rather have a guy(Ridley) who can make a play by himself. Its not like any rb is getting huge holes to run through?!?!

I don't mind using Faulk for 3-4 plays a game, but would rather see Ridley/Woody as the backs going forward.

I really think a rb needs a good 15 carries in order to develop a rythm and understanding of the other teams defense. Actually when you look at it almost evertime a rb in our offense gets over 12 carries he has good production....has to be something to that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think Shenanigan said it well.  Woodhead will continue to get carries as the primary third down back (with Faulk as his back up).  Ridley looks like he has more quickness and straight-line speed--and maybe even more power--than BJGE.  BJGE, though, is still very dependable with the ball and knows the plays well, so I think he'll continue to get a lot of snaps.  He made some nice catches on check downs too this week. 

Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else think that BJGE seems to pick it up a notch after Ridley gets a few carries?  It seemed like BJGE got more effective later in the game after Ridley was in.  Maybe it was just the defense struggling with the change of pace, but maybe BJGE gets fired up when there's more competition?  I think I noticed this in one other game earlier this season too . . . but maybe I'm just remembering wrong.  Anyway, curious if anyone else seems to think this may be the case . . .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think BB wants to keep Faulk warmed up just in case there's an injury to Woodhead.  That third down back is very important to our offense and if Woodhead goes down, BB wants someone who can step in.  As I see it, that's why Faulk is still getting snaps.  BB wants him to get game ready after his long layoff so there's a back-up plan if Woodhead ever can't go. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Benny isnt good at stretch plays and thats how they tried to use him, he is a straight ahead guy that you run dives and slams with.

All that time to get outside and there are 6 to 7 defenders by the time he is trying to turn the corner.

The stretch is Woodys play.

If they just call the right plays for the right runners at the right time we would be deadly and much more efficient.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Ridley:
    [QUOTE]I think Shenanigan said it well.  Woodhead will continue to get carries as the primary third down back (with Faulk as his back up).  Ridley looks like he has more quickness and straight-line speed--and maybe even more power--than BJGE.  BJGE, though, is still very dependable with the ball and knows the plays well, so I think he'll continue to get a lot of snaps.  He made some nice catches on check downs too this week.  Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else think that BJGE seems to pick it up a notch after Ridley gets a few carries?  It seemed like BJGE got more effective later in the game after Ridley was in.  Maybe it was just the defense struggling with the change of pace, but maybe BJGE gets fired up when there's more competition?  I think I noticed this in one other game earlier this season too . . . but maybe I'm just remembering wrong.  Anyway, curious if anyone else seems to think this may be the case . . .
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

See I think most rbs will get more effective as the game winds down. All the more reason I think we need 1 rb to get the work load, develop a rythm and wear down a defense. They need time to figure out the defensive front, and as a d-line gets tired 3 yard carries become 7-8 yard carries.

Just for once I would like to see Ridley(or Benny) get a true RB work load. At this point though I intrigued by Ridley. As many posters were quick to point out early int he year, this kid looks like he might have something special. Combo of power speed and balance.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Ridley should see more carries then BJGE at this point earlier in the game. He clearly has the extra gear BJGE doesn't to help wear D's down quicker.

When you are on the goal line, need a critical yard, or are chewing clock I would still give it to BJGE. The guy just does not fumble which is something Ridley still needs to prove. Any situation where a game changing fumble can happen should be given to BJGE, but Ridley should get the majority of the carries early in the game

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Regardless of who the lead back is, I was just ecstatic to see them running yesterday when they should be running.  Who cares if the runs/passes are 50%-50%, the Pats did a great job burning some clock and not getting too fancy in the red zone.  I was encouraged to say the least.  Ridley did a nice job, as did Woodhead.  BJGE got some tough yards when needed. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

[QUOTE]Regardless of who the lead back is, I was just ecstatic to see them running yesterday when they should be running.  Who cares if the runs/passes are 50%-50%, the Pats did a great job burning some clock and not getting too fancy in the red zone.  I was encouraged to say the least.  Ridley did a nice job, as did Woodhead.  BJGE got some tough yards when needed. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

Agreed!  It wasnt perfect and they still need to find better ways to incorporate them but I was just happy they were using it.  Just enough to keep Denver at bay. If they went into a strictly passing game, the O-line would have had problems. They let the big uglies get out and hit folks so they were happy to pass protect.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Regardless of who the lead back is, I was just ecstatic to see them running yesterday when they should be running.  Who cares if the runs/passes are 50%-50%, the Pats did a great job burning some clock and not getting too fancy in the red zone.  I was encouraged to say the least.  Ridley did a nice job, as did Woodhead.  BJGE got some tough yards when needed. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

I agree Cable. This was the balance attack I wanted to see. At first they were formulaic and everyone and their grandmother knew when they were going to run. But, once they started to mix it up and disguise it the O broke out from there. it was very well done yesterday and I hope they carry it over to the Mia game.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

i called it

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]I don't really care either, other than I don't feel Woodhead is a lead back due his size and his style. 
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

Woodhead's not the kind of guy you want leading a power running attack, but he's good running out of spread formations which is why he's used so much.  If we're going with power formations, Ridley looks more like the guy.  Has Ridley caught many passes out of the backfield?  That's a key skill in this offense.  If he hasn't been successful catching the ball that may explain why he hasn't seen the field too much.  He may have caught a few  . . . I just can't seem to remember any right now. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

BB has to keep a bunch of tailbacks because they, like defensive backs, might or might not get injured.  Right now BB has a pretty full stable.  Vereen may be injured and not up to snuff at pass-blocking and Benny might be slowed right now, but Woodhead is in good shape and Ridley's just coming into his own.  Faulk is insurance, the old hand who can still play.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Benny isnt good at stretch plays and thats how they tried to use him, he is a straight ahead guy that you run dives and slams with. All that time to get outside and there are 6 to 7 defenders by the time he is trying to turn the corner. The stretch is Woodys play. If they just call the right plays for the right runners at the right time we would be deadly and much more efficient.
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

I think the problem with what you just said here is that they need to get the runners in plays that are beneficial to them. If you or I realize what plays they're good at or CAN"T do, then you can be sure NFL defensive coordinators are well aware of what they are poor at...and will game plan for it. It's why I think a guy like Benny should be a back up, because he has limitations that are obvious, it makes it easier to see what's coming and how to defend it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Ridley still has the highest upside of the three. Would be interesting to see Ridley be more involved w/ blocking, play action, and maybe some screen passes to get a better idea of how he would perform as an all-around back.

Law Firm is your no frills, straight ahead runner that is so-so blocking so-so catching skills. He hasn't shown he can break one for over 20 yards.

Woody is still the ideal change-of-pace, quick runner who can hide behind lineman and find a seam for a decent gain. He has decent hands too.  However, even though he does his best, has no upside as a block only because he ain't built for it.

Can you imagine if the Patriots had a premier RB? The offense would really be crazy good.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Stud, he should be our #1 back. keep BJGE for short third downs

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ridley : See I think most rbs will get more effective as the game winds down. All the more reason I think we need 1 rb to get the work load, develop a rythm and wear down a defense. They need time to figure out the defensive front, and as a d-line gets tired 3 yard carries become 7-8 yard carries. Just for once I would like to see Ridley(or Benny) get a true RB work load. At this point though I intrigued by Ridley. As many posters were quick to point out early int he year, this kid looks like he might have something special. Combo of power speed and balance.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

nice posts everyone.
    true champ i have been thinking and posting since preseason what you say here above.

and one true back getting the majority of the carries will develop a rythm with the o liine and do more substantive damage and or be an added threat keeping defenses from keying on our best pass receivers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Ridley still has the highest upside of the three. Would be interesting to see Ridley be more involved w/ blocking, play action, and maybe some screen passes to get a better idea of how he would perform as an all-around back. Law Firm is your no frills, straight ahead runner that is so-so blocking so-so catching skills. He hasn't shown he can break one for over 20 yards. Woody is still the ideal change-of-pace, quick runner who can hide behind lineman and find a seam for a decent gain. He has decent hands too.  However, even though he does his best, has no upside as a block only because he ain't built for it. Can you imagine if the Patriots had a premier RB? The offense would really be crazy good.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

exactly my thoughts since seeing ridley preseason, including the imagining if we had a feature back.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I agree with most everyone here, even King has made some very good points. I am just flat out tired of watching Faulk play, but I know BB trusts him picking up the blitz. BJGE isn't an everyone down back, best for short pound it in yardage. Sometimes he breaks a tackle or two for a few more yards, but he can't do what Ridley can. Give the man 15-20+ touches and get in sync with the offense he will do some amazing things. You won't have to run these gimmicks they us at times. Ridely can take the ball and make something happend if not break out for a big gain. I am thinking his blitz pick ups aren't as good as needed and they don't want him geeting beet up earlier in the year. Now they can feature him towards the end of the year and possibly find some plays for him come playoff time. There is nothing better then running out and unknown weapon. The less film the more effective a rookie could become in the playoffs. Just a theory, who ever really knows with BB and the Pats.