Ridley

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Re: Ridley

I'd like to see a balanced attack. Each back has had better games depending on who they are playing against. I'd like to see each of those backs get some carries. 

I think O'Brien should balance it out like he did. I think it throws the defences off because each of them has a pretty distinct style of running the ball. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

In Response to Re: Ridley:
    [QUOTE]BB has to keep a bunch of tailbacks because they, like defensive backs, might or might not get injured.  Right now BB has a pretty full stable.  Vereen may be injured and not up to snuff at pass-blocking and Benny might be slowed right now, but Woodhead is in good shape and Ridley's just coming into his own.  Faulk is insurance, the old hand who can still play.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]
    The Pats may have the freshest legs in the backfield come playoff time. It will be interesting to see who gets the calls and how they are going to run them. BJGE = Ball Control. Ridley = potential break away. Woodhead = ultimate change of pace.  The chess master might be maneuvering his pieces into place. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Ridley still has the highest upside of the three. Would be interesting to see Ridley be more involved w/ blocking, play action, and maybe some screen passes to get a better idea of how he would perform as an all-around back. Law Firm is your no frills, straight ahead runner that is so-so blocking so-so catching skills. He hasn't shown he can break one for over 20 yards. Woody is still the ideal change-of-pace, quick runner who can hide behind lineman and find a seam for a decent gain. He has decent hands too.  However, even though he does his best, has no upside as a block only because he ain't built for it. Can you imagine if the Patriots had a premier RB? The offense would really be crazy good.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

Realistically Vareen has the most upside between all of them, or else they would of drafted Ridley ahead of him. Vareen may be a tad bit too small, but he clearly has some skills, it's just a matter of if this guy will ever stay healthy enough to actually contribute. If this guy ever gets the chance to catch a screen pass, it's going to go for 50 yards before anyone realizes what happened. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Nothing new here.  I've been saying this since game one even though the disbelievers and BJGE apologists have attacking me. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

you are brave like one of the eraly christians!!!

[QUOTE]Nothing new here.  I've been saying this since game one even though the disbelievers and BJGE apologists have attacking me. 
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Yes but that one play when you'll need someone to pick up the blitz that'll be Faulk.  Woodhead can't block that effectively and I'm not sure on the other two.  Faulk will make a play before this thing is out. 6-8 plays that's ok.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: Ridley": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ridley : Realistically Vareen has the most upside between all of them, or else they would of drafted Ridley ahead of him. Vareen may be a tad bit too small, but he clearly has some skills, it's just a matter of if this guy will ever stay healthy enough to actually contribute. If this guy ever gets the chance to catch a screen pass, it's going to go for 50 yards before anyone realizes what happened.  Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE] Completely agree. Vereen is the most complete back of the 4, and has the highest upside vereen isn't really small at all. In fact, I think he is just the right size for guy of his skill set and how we would deploy him. He's also the strongest of the backs. He put up more reps of 225 at the combine than any other back coming out last year. He catches, runs routes and has hands like a WR. If he can stay healthy and get on the field, he has enormous potential. The combo of he and Ridley should prove lethal once they are both comfortable in the system.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

He is the future and should be getting more and more carries every week.  Vereen may be lost in the shuffle if he doesn't get healthy by next year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

[QUOTE]Nothing new here.  I've been saying this since game one even though the disbelievers and BJGE apologists have attacking me. 
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]
    Although I agree with you, it's hard not to give the starting job for most of the year to BJGE after the year he had. However, we always need to be moving forward and BB is just doing it a little slower than we want. I honestly think Faulk will be gone next year or he will get very little work except coaching up the young guys. Ridley or Vereen will become the feature back with BJGE as a short ground and pound back then Woody shoring it up with more pass emphasis fore some variety.

Heck come play off time we might see Ridley in full force, sometime these young guys just need to feed off that energy to really get going.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ridley : Although I agree with you, it's hard not to give the starting job for most of the year to BJGE after the year he had. However, we always need to be moving forward and BB is just doing it a little slower than we want. I honestly think Faulk will be gone next year or he will get very little work except coaching up the young guys. Ridley or Vereen will become the feature back with BJGE as a short ground and pound back then Woody shoring it up with more pass emphasis fore some variety. Heck come play off time we might see Ridley in full force, sometime these young guys just need to feed off that energy to really get going.
    Posted by freediro[/QUOTE]

we can only hope.
    by the way, where were you guys end of preseason when i was pilloried for saying the things you all have said above

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

BJGE is the type of runningback that needs a hole. He can't make guys miss or bounce it outside. He doesn't dance, but runs right up the hole that the play is called. If the hole opens up he has a descent gain, if not he will usually get stuffed. It seems when we give it to him lately on 1st down it usually ends up 2nd and long. Ridley and what little I've seen of Vereen have much more big play ability. They may get stuffed a few times, but they have the potential to break a big run at any time. With these next 2 games being 2 of the weakest on the schedule, we need to get the 2 rookies ready for the playoffs. If we have a dynamic running back that defenses have to game plan for, it will open up the play action pass. I think Brady is the best QB in the league with the play action. Defenses don't fear BJGE will break a big run.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]BJGE is the type of runningback that needs a hole. He can't make guys miss or bounce it outside. He doesn't dance, but runs right up the hole that the play is called. If the hole opens up he has a descent gain, if not he will usually get stuffed. It seems when we give it to him lately on 1st down it usually ends up 2nd and long. Ridley and what little I've seen of Vereen have much more big play ability. They may get stuffed a few times, but they have the potential to break a big run at any time. With these next 2 games being 2 of the weakest on the schedule, we need to get the 2 rookies ready for the playoffs. If we have a dynamic running back that defenses have to game plan for, it will open up the play action pass. I think Brady is the best QB in the league with the play action. Defenses don't fear BJGE will break a big run.
    Posted by dfitzp[/QUOTE]

exactly!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

you have to wonder if Vareen puts the ball on the ground in practice...  There has to be an underlying reason some of these healthy guys ride the pine so much. I can't think they cant learn the play book. They interview them and make them draw up plays. If you've ever interviewed anyone you can tell in the first 20 seconds if they have a chance filling the position. These guys interview a hundred players a year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

The backs used in a particular game are effective based on the defence played. In the case of Denver you had an aggressive pass rush D that a Danny or Ridley with their fast cuts and low to ground size can slip through and make a play.

On many other "Stay at Home" D's a back like Benny is the match, smash mouth, never fumble running.

Last, as loving and warm hearted as BB is, I do not think he does a lot for friendship, he cuts, he trades and he uses players based on what he thinks will work, period. Just MHO

I like our run game, "Hey, we are number one right now right?" despite BB not listening to the brains on these threads, go figure? :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I can actually agree with king on something!  Yes, Kevin Faulk is not the same player he once was, and should only be used in the event of injury.  I hated seeing him running the ball in the 1st quarter, that duty should go to Ridley at this point.   

Right now I see the top RB for the Pats in this order:
    Ridley
    Woodhead
    BJGE
    and Faulk

Don't know where or what's going on with Vareen.

16. This post has been removed.