Ridley's Size vs Speed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Ridley's Size vs Speed

Ok, so we all know he bulked up a little in the offseason. Although, it's not helping him hold onto the ball lately. The real question here is do you think Ridley's speed, more so down the stretch of the season, will be effected by his added weight. In that long run last night he looked like he was giving it everything he had and was run down fairly quickly. Yes, it was nice to see him shed some tackles, but I really thought he was going to take that further.

I know he was never known to be a burner an maybe he needs to just build up his conditioning, but he looked slower to me. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Ridley's Size vs Speed

I just came from NFL.com and watched the highlights.  On Ridley's first run it looked like if he cut right, he would of taken it to the house (had a blocker on that side).  He cut left and got caught by a faster runner.  You can't fault him for not knowing what's behind him.  Great effort.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Looks like his legs awkwardly got caught under him, and he never was quite balanced after reaching the open field. I think he's faster than that long-run showed.

Let's go Pats!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I haven't watched the tape again, just went off what I saw the other night. I had a feeling what happened was along the lines of what you said tcal. I am still curious to with Ridley throughout training camp to see how that added size effects his game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

All I know is on that first run Nate Solder leveled the tackle and Mankins crushed the end... Ridley was probably surprised at all the daylight.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Looks like his legs awkwardly got caught under him, and he never was quite balanced after reaching the open field. I think he's faster than that long-run showed.

Let's go Pats!

I watched it again and you're right also, he stumbled a little on his own legs after making a cut and as he tried to pick up speed he looked slightly out of control as if his added weight gain hindered his reflexes slightly.

no big deal, but something I am very curious to watch in the future. I really hope he works on explosive drill training because 10-20 pounds can kill a little of your agility.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I read somewhere that Ivan Fears was not happy with Ridleys weight gain, not sure if its because of the speed issue or not. The way Riddler ran last year I dont think he needed to bulk up, maybe he wants to try and be a little more reliable on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1?

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Ridley never had even very good speed. Good enough, but he should have scored on that run. Vereen would have. 

I like the added weight based on the way he runs. 

Fumbles might be his down fall however. He is on a very short leash

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

All I know is on that first run Nate Solder leveled the tackle and Mankins crushed the end... Ridley was probably surprised at all the daylight.

Solder made that play sealing that block. Text book. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

How much weight did he gain and why? I can't imagine a player just gaining ten pounds without permission/ a plan from the team to do so.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/07/stevan_ridley_weighs_options

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

How much weight did he gain and why? I can't imagine a player just gaining ten pounds without permission/ a plan from the team to do so.

I'm sure he did it because:

1. He wanted to makle sure his upper body was stronger after that devastating wack hit he took in the SB and lost the ball, and

2. Knowing he'd be called upon to do more tackle to tackle running and probably taking more punishment...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I don't think Ridley needs to be a home run hitter. He just needs good vision, power and the ability to make the first guy miss or carry him a yard or 2 after contact. It didn't concern me that he couldn't out run a safety or a corner. It was a little concerning that he was completely gassed at the end of the run and took himself out of the game. Then again he came back and scored a td and ran for 9 yards before Brady's PA pass to Dobson, meaning hewas fine after that. 

Last year his ypc dipped over the second half of the year, was it fatigue or were we just not as capable of running the ball as the season wore on?

"Defense Wins Championships"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Thanks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

I don't think Ridley needs to be a home run hitter. He just needs good vision, power and the ability to make the first guy miss or carry him a yard or 2 after contact. It didn't concern me that he couldn't out run a safety or a corner. It was a little concerning that he was completely gassed at the end of the run and took himself out of the game. Then again he came back and scored a td and ran for 9 yards before Brady's PA pass to Dobson, meaning hewas fine after that. 

Last year his ypc dipped over the second half of the year, was it fatigue or were we just not as capable of running the ball as the season wore on?

We also faced much better Run Ds in the second half last year if I recall

"Defense Wins Championships"

Sections
Shortcuts