Rimind me why we didn't draft Rey Maualuga with one of our second round picks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Rimind me why we didn't draft Rey Maualuga with one of our second round picks?

OK, I can admit that seeing a guy you could have drafted play well puts a couple of "we could've and should've" thoughts in my head.  But then my good sense kicks in a puts a stop to those thoughts.  My reasons:

1. I'm giving BB the benefit of the doubt that he saw something he didn't like in Rey.  

2. Just because he looked good in the Bengal's defense does not necessarily mean he would look good in our scheme.  We all know that a stellar play can move to another team and look simply decent, and a simply decent player can move to another team and look stellar.  Adalius and Welker come to mind...  You simply cannot know if he would play well in our system just because he is looking good in their system.

3. I like our draft this year.  We added a lot of depth a year before having a lot of free agents.  Our secondary was more of a concern than our LB situation.  Not saying we didn't need a good OLB, but we needed to retool our secondary even more.

4. You can second guess yourself to no end.  Every draft we pass on some players who play great elsewhere.  We also draft players that other teams passed on that end up playing well.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Rimind me why we didn't draft Rey Maualuga with one of our second round picks?

Another reason not to draft Rey Rey is the OLB spot in next year's FA Class

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=LB&y=2010

Deep six Woods and cut Thomas.....and sign Demarcus Ware (if he doesn;t sign long term with the Boys). No seriously Ware is better than Burgess, easily, and is better than Peppers or Thomas. I doubt this will happen, ofcourse, because no one in the right mind would give Belichick a potential LT clone like Ware.

Just my two cents.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

Rimind me why we didn't draft Rey Maualuga with one of our second round picks?

I don't believe BB sheared this thoughts on the subject.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryBallz. Show HarryBallz's posts

The Pats addressed the retirement of Harrison, the possible departure of Wilfork, their piss-poor CB pool and they picked up a guy with makor upside at the tackle position.  And, they got picks for next year as well making them a major player in the 2010 draft. 

Your complaints are simplistic and uninformed. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

I don't know what game you were watching last night but Maualuga didn't have any sacks. He had 2 solo tackles and 1 assist. WOW BIG NUMBERS. Maybe... just maybe... you might want to check some stats out before you write.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

In Response to Re: Rimind me why we didn't draft Rey Maualuga with one of our second round picks?:
    [QUOTE]So don't give me a Bs line about a 2 down LB, the guys good, plaine and simple.
    Posted by ZigZig[/QUOTE]

he IS a 2 down LB who functions best in a "this is what we do, beat us if you can" type of defense, not the disguised deceiving fronts the Pats employ. He would be overwhelmed by the constant fronts and different looks. Not to mention his off field issues.

He may look good now, and look good in the Bengals D, but there is a reason they don't go to the playoffs. They play a static defense.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

I can't believe it took over 30 posts for someone with a little common sense to point out that little rey rey not only didn't have 3 sacks, but he didn't even have 1 sack. In fact, he whiffed on a tackle and generally played par for the course for a rookie LB.

As for players I wish we hadn't passed on: Sean Smith. I wish more we could have picked him up, even though I do like our draft picks. Still, what if Vollmer had been avaiable in the 3rd? We could have snapped up Smith instead. Butler and Smith would be an amazing tandem for years.

Ah well. I'm not going to worry. Football season is here again, so I'm happy. :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

The Bengals 3rd round pick, Michael Johnson, actually looked pretty fast coming off the edge.   I also saw BJGE burn RM once in the open field.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pat-Sox-Celt-Fan. Show Pat-Sox-Celt-Fan's posts

hmm - remind me why we drafted a QB in the 6th round (2000) - when EVERY other team passed on him??? A guy called Tom Brady ???

We win some...we lose some....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50Otis. Show 50Otis's posts

I still don't understand the Pats passing on Maualuga.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

This is the biggest GARBAGE thread. And is based on FAKE statistics.

Rey Maualuga had three TACKLES, and one was an assist. And all were with THIRD AND SECOND team players.

That is after getting ZERO tackles or sacks last week.

ZERO SACKS. ZERO SACKS against the Pats' backups' backups. And for a "tackling machine" and dominator, he has three whole tackles in like five quarters of play against backups in the preseason.

Rey Maualuga looked anything but special last night. Both Butler and Chung already look like better players and are getting reps with first team defense.

I would take guys New England drafted in the third over him at this point.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from glostafishermen. Show glostafishermen's posts

In Response to Re: Rimind me why we didn't draft Rey Maualuga with one of our second round picks?:
    [QUOTE] The reason Y we didn't draft him is because were retarted thats Y.
    Posted by ZigZig[/QUOTE]

Hey ZigZig, or is it ZigZag, it's we're, not were! Put the bong down and get with the program! Rey has the IQ of a dead fish. When you win 3 Super Bowls & go 16-0, plus turn an un-athletic QB into a Hall Of Famer, then it's ok for you to remove your hockey helmet & step off the little yellow school bus! And oh yeah, that idiot sitting next to you is that Linebacker named Rey who BB knew kept putting a square peg in a round hole...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Another reason not to draft Rey Rey is the OLB spot in next year's FA Class http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=LB&y=2010 Deep six Woods and cut Thomas.....and sign Demarcus Ware (if he doesn;t sign long term with the Boys). No seriously Ware is better than Burgess, easily, and is better than Peppers or Thomas. I doubt this will happen, ofcourse, because no one in the right mind would give Belichick a potential LT clone like Ware. Just my two cents.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

Ware is a beast but would command too much $

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Ware is the best OLB in flootball

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

[QUOTE]Ware is the best OLB in flootball
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

You and I agree on this one ZB. Ware would give the Pats an instant pass rush threat, however, the cost would be very expensive....we would have let Seymour, Wilfork and Thomas go....maybe we keep Mankins. That would create a huge hole on the D Line (normally a strength). Brace, Warren, Green and Pryor or whoever would really have to step up. BTW we have Mayo and Guyton so we did not need Rey Rey....also recall discussing Barwin at OLB and we have yet to see what MacKenzie can do....I have not been that impressed with Crable. Still if all goes well (big if) Chung, Butler, Brace and Vollmer will eventually become starters in their second or 3rd years. And Tate could be a real find.

I also felt that BB targeted certain players in the 1st round and when they weren't available he stockpiled picks in 2nd round in both 09 and 2010. Shrewd move, but one we Pats fans have come to expect. Wouldn't mind a trade up to get Spikes, but we have to see who, in the LB corps, performs well this year. Again this is all speculation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

One meaningless exhibition game and some of these guys are ready to name Maualuga the next Ray Lewis - incredible!  It's preseason folks.  How many guys look great in preseason that don't even end up making the team?  BB knows more about football than all of these armchair quarterbacks on this post put together! 

Sections
Shortcuts