R.I.P. Coach Fairbanks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeFoyFan. Show JoeFoyFan's posts

R.I.P. Coach Fairbanks

Chuck Fairbanks, coach of the Pats form 1973-78 (if I remember correctly), died today.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: R.I.P. Coach Fairbanks

Before my time but didn't he coach one of the best Patriots teams ever? The team that got the bogus call against the Raiders in the playoffs? The Raiders should have lost that game but ended up winning the S.B.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I guess the tuck rule call in '01 was pay back which Raiders' fans have conveniently forgot?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

All the best to his family.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

May he R.I.P. indeed.  Excellent coach who didn't have the smoothest of tenures as a consequence of ongoing unpleasantness with the Sullivan ownership team.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Great coach who had a team for the decade if he had only stayed.

The 1976 team
    Steve Grogan 23
    Sam Cunningham 26
    Russ Francis 23
    John Hannah 25
    Leon Gray 25
    Ray Hamilton 25
    Julius Adams 28
    Steve Nelson 25
    Mike Haynes 23
    Tim Fox 23
    The Patriots 1977 draft
    Raymond Clayborn
    Stanley Morgan

R.I.P. Coach

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

The 1976 team
    Steve Grogan 23
    Sam Cunningham 26
    Russ Francis 23
    John Hannah 25
    Leon Gray 25
    Ray Hamilton 25
    Julius Adams 28
    Steve Nelson 25
    Mike Haynes 23
    Tim Fox 23
    The Patriots 1977 draft
    Raymond Clayborn
    Stanley Morgan

R.I.P. Coach

You left a whole bunch of big names out from 76..... That team is the only team I ever saw out physical the Steelers when they were truly the steel curtain.

And by the way, they beat the Raiders in the regular season something like 41-17 and if not for either of TWO truly horrible calls - one a no call the other the one everyone remembers - they would have won the AFC and the SB. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I will add that Fairbanks was not much of a game day coach. He lined his guys up and they smashed the other team till we won. Built some really good teams. Made em tough. Not much on adjustments though.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsGnome. Show PatsGnome's posts

I agree, all the best to his family.

I believe if he stayed in one head coaching spot for the majority of his career, he would have gone down as one of the greatest head coaches ever.  I can see leaving the Patriots and the USFL folding, but Oklahoma and Colorado University he left to soon.

I wish I knew why he left places where he was successful, only to take the same job with another team.  If he moved up to become General Manager, Vice-President, President of the Team, or Athletic Director of the Universities then I could of understood.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

Great coach.  Assembled what was the best team in NFL, from a personnel standpoint, back when the Pats were considered the laughingstock of the league.  Absolutely destroyed the Raiders in Foxboro that year, before getting ridiculously jobbed in Oakland on the Sugar Bear Hamilton "roughing the passer" call.  I still remember the Globe headliine the next day was "Officials Beat Patriots," and that's what it was.   The Raiders went on to win the Super Bowl.   For those of us who remember that 76 playoff game, the 2001 snow bowl "tuck rule" call was completely just, nothing more than long overdue karmic payback to the Raiders.

RIP Chuck.  Thanks for those teams.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

He was fired by Chuck Sullivan just before the playoff game against the Oilers for taking a job with Colorado. Pats played poorly against the Oilers and Fairbanks was a bust at Colorado and the USFL.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

He was fired by Chuck Sullivan just before the playoff game against the Oilers for taking a job with Colorado. Pats played poorly against the Oilers and Fairbanks was a bust at Colorado and the USFL.

I remember this like it was yesterday, I never forgave Fairbanks for messing up possibly the best team of the 70's. By the time the team got its head back on in the early Mid 80's all the stars from this 76-78 run were getting overly long in the Tooth. It still pains me to wonder what might have been.. oh well.   RIP Fairbanks, Guess I need to finally let it go.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

RIP, Coach Fairbanks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

So, Fairbanks wanted control and the Sullivans were too dumb to grant it? Is that the gist of why Fairbanks was seeking a job elsewhere?

I don't know. He did leave OK under a cloud when he came here. OK served 2 years probation from the issues that happened under Fairbanks. The CO booster club came here to offer the job to Fairbanks just before the playoffs, where they invited??? Your guess is a good as mine. Something was amiss for sure but only an insider would know. Had a good 7 yr run here and should have had at least one SB to show for it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

great coach grew up watching him....the '76 team was an awesome display of power football at its best

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

In response to digger0862's comment:

The 1976 team
    Steve Grogan 23
    Sam Cunningham 26
    Russ Francis 23
    John Hannah 25
    Leon Gray 25
    Ray Hamilton 25
    Julius Adams 28
    Steve Nelson 25
    Mike Haynes 23
    Tim Fox 23
    The Patriots 1977 draft
    Raymond Clayborn
    Stanley Morgan

R.I.P. Coach

You left a whole bunch of big names out from 76..... That team is the only team I ever saw out physical the Steelers when they were truly the steel curtain.

And by the way, they beat the Raiders in the regular season something like 41-17 and if not for either of TWO truly horrible calls - one a no call the other the one everyone remembers - they would have won the AFC and the SB. 

I was at Foxboro for the game they smoked the Raiders and agree they would have won it all.  Those calls at Oakland were beyond bad.  Some of the Raiders are still crying over the Tuck Rule but they never talk about the bad calls that were made in their favor.   But at least the Tuck Rule was a Rule and not simply a phantom call.  

I also had to laugh when I saw Tim Fox on the list.  I remember one game against the Jets when the Pats punted the ball and the Jet's receiver called for a fair catch.  I mean it was a clear as day fair catch call.  However, Fox was running full blast with his head down and just pummelled the Jet as he was catching the ball.  Bam! He knocked him out.  Of course it was a 15 Yard penalty but I can still see that play in my mind.  

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts