R.I.P....as DICK TRICKLEs no more as he AGAIN showcases an UNFORTUNATE reality in our gun culture!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImagydSportsBos. Show ImagydSportsBos's posts

R.I.P....as DICK TRICKLEs no more as he AGAIN showcases an UNFORTUNATE reality in our gun culture!

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/9283240/retired-driver-dick-trickle-dead-apparent-self-inflicted-gun-shot-wound

actually was a great racer.. he shot himself today at age 71.. i mean how much of it was due to having to go thru life with a name like Dick Trickle? was Richie not available? There was a Dick Pole in baseball, and I once dated a girl named Sarah Diaper. oh well... hope he finds some peace, least he didnt shoot anyone else. unfortunate truth in our gun debate is that MOST gun deaths today are a result of the self-inflicted kind, meaning SUICIDE as opposed to HOMICIDE. wanting a gun to protect oneself is more likely to either b used against one by an intruder or used by oneself in a fit of despair.i still advocate for the right though in moderation just in case someone wants to take out as many with him (almost always a him in mass murder).. so sad!

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: R.I.P....as DICK TRICKLEs no more as he AGAIN showcases an UNFORTUNATE reality in our gun culture!

LOL CC the troll was banned again??!! How long til your new nic gets banned as well?! Take the hint and disappear

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Re: R.I.P....as DICK TRICKLEs no more as he AGAIN showcases an UNFORTUNATE reality in our gun culture!

Interesting study in a medical journal - the rate of suicide in the 10 states with the most guns vs. 10 states with the least - all other forms of suicide were statistically equal, gun suicides were 4 time as high. The numbers - about 2500 suicides by other methods in both groups, 4,000 gun suicides in the least states, 16,000 in the most states

The problem being that guns have a much higher success rate than any other forms ... every other form except I guess jumping off a height allows for a change of mind after the initial act and or intervention by others. And the process of getting to a bridge, tall building, or cliff is much longer than reaching into the bedside drawer. Suicide, while perhaps contemplated for a long time, remains an impulse action. The longer the time imposed between impulse and actual death, the fewer suicides.

No idea how this affects the gun debate - but everyone is talking about the homicide issue while the biggest numbers are self inflicted.

The one thing I will say is that any parent who permits unsupervised access (whether intentional or not) to a loaded gun by a child under the age of 16 (18/21?) that results in a death or serious injury should do some serious jail time.

Sections
Shortcuts