Risk: John Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Risk: John Drew

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Patriots-signing-DT-John-Drew.html

The New England Patriots are signing former North Carolina Central defensive tackle John Drew, according to a league source. Drew was brought in for a minicamp workout after cutting defensive lineman DeWayne Cherrington. Drew is a 6-foot-3, 330-pound transfer from Duke who started as a freshman.

He was dismissed from the team due to off-field issues before transferring to North Carolina Central. He pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm on an educational property and carrying a concealed weapon three years ago. Last season, he recorded 18 tackles and blocked two kicks. Drew is known for his athleticism and size and has bench pressed 225 pounds 32 times. He's regarded as something of a sleeper, and he gets the Patriots' 90th roster spot heading into training camp.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Re: Risk: John Drew

what he transfered cause of academics? Did you read the article you posted?He was kicked of the team for the gun violation geeze and you talk about others !!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

It had nothing to do with his academics but the gun charges.As you say they are tring to pass a gun law it hasn't happened to pass yet so yes you are wrong on this ,he was kicked out for gun charges and tranffered .

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

The orginal poster wasnt saying aything about his talent ,but a risk cause the gun charges .Most states having a illegal firearm is a year min in jail,this is the risk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Haha this has nothing to do with going to collge or not which I did.This has to do with being a risk,yes its a risk even though he was a dumb collge kid .Gun play is no joke ,but got a pass still cause his talent .This is what your always talking about with ncaa right ,kids with talents are aways getting by?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Not a risk?

The world according to rusty:

Dennard was young, immature, framed and not a risk,  despite being a convicted felon

Hernandez was was young, immature, framed and not a risk, despite being an accused felon with numerous other encounters with the law.

Drew was immature, (still waiting on how he was framed) despite firing an illegal fire arm in public, where he could have killed someone.

Maybe it's high time BB stops looking under rocks for players.

As far as I know, only snakes and rodents and insects, live under rocks.

"The worse New England has gotten on defense, the better Brady has been forced to become -- with 109 touchdowns, 20 interceptions and a 39-9 record the past three seasons. "

CLARK JUDGE______7/13/13_____________________________________

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

There you go agian whats this with people shopping at walmart?what about people driving trucks and suvs has nothing to do with it.These points make no sense to myself .Ive seen rich people like my dentist and doctor at walmart so whats the point?that people that shop at walmart are below you?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to soxrockursox's comment:

There you go agian whats this with people shopping at walmart?what about people driving trucks and suvs has nothing to do with it.These points make no sense to myself .Ive seen rich people like my dentist and doctor at walmart so whats the point?that people that shop at walmart are below you?

Sometimes he has no idea how insulting he can be.

Says things with no regard for others.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Nope I drive a  97 doge dokta ,not thats its any of your bussiness.And I dont shopr at walmart for food but blu rays movies cause thier cheaper.Whwn i first bought my first dvd player walmart had only a few movires had to pay for new relases up to 30 bucks.So yeah then walmart came out with  a better selections and were cheaper.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

He's got the 90th roster spot! Why would anyone cared about his Freshman year of College? I wasn't there and neither was anyone else on this board, if he can play football well enough to impress the coaching staff so be it. Otherwise he's just a camp body. 3 years clean at whatever college he transfered to. Academics are more important than his prior involvement with any guns.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Nope I drive a  97 doge dokta ,not thats its any of your bussiness.And I dont shopr at walmart for food but blu rays movies cause thier cheaper.Whwn i first bought my first dvd player walmart had only a few movires had to pay for new relases up to 30 bucks.So yeah then walmart came out with  a better selections and were cheaper.

I don't care what you, as a stranger on a messageboard, drives, Mr. Sensitive.

I am thrilled you bought a DVD player and DVDs at Walmart.

Well stop your non sense about walmart and people ,because you belive your above people who shop at wal mart.Give it a rest and get off your high horse.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Not a risk?

Dennard was young, immature, framed and not a risk,  despite being a convicted felon

Hernandez was was young, immature, framed and not a risk, despite being an accused felon with numerous other encounters with the law.

Drew was immature, (still waiting on how he was framed) despite firing an illegal fire arm in public, where he could have killed someone.

"The worse New England has gotten on defense, the better Brady has been forced to become -- with 109 touchdowns, 20 interceptions and a 39-9 record the past three seasons. "

Well, then, that would mean 50% of NCAA prospects coming out college as immature as they can be, are risks.

This is a back end roster signing. No risk. No money risk, nothing.

Do 50% of students get charged with firing an illegal firearm in a public place or punch a bouncer when they are not even old enough to be in a bar or punch cops for telling him to move on? 

Sorry, when I was young, I never punched a cop or a bouncer or discharged a firearm in a public place. 

Being young and immature is no excuse for criminal and violent behavior.

Being a NE Patriot is also no excuse for criminal and violent behavior, as we all know how quick and persistent you are in condemning a player in another organization.

Phoney, bigoted and fraud......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

Sometimes he has no idea how insulting he can be.

Says things with no regard for others.

How is it insulting?  Why does it make sense to spend 50K on an SUV with gas at 3.50 a gallon and then go cheap on food you ingest into your body with chemicals all over it, as you drive there in that 50K SUV?

I am sorry, but if you think anyone pointing out stupidity is "insulting", then we can just agree to disagree.

I refuse to root on ignorance and ignorant people, dude. 

I rest my case.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Not a risk?

Well, then, that would mean 50% of NCAA prospects coming out college as immature as they can be, are risks.

This is a back end roster signing. No risk. No money risk, nothing.

Do 50% of students get charged with firing an illegal firearm in a public place or punch a bouncer when they are not even old enough to be in a bar or punch cops for telling him to move on? 

Sorry, when I was young, I never punched a cop or a bouncer or discharged a firearm in a public place. 

Being young and immature is no excuse for criminal and violent behavior.

Being a NE Patriot is also no excuse for criminal and violent behavior, as we all know how quick and persistent you are in condemning a player in another organization.

Phoney, bigoted and fraud......

Yes you are right on that ,I have nothing agianst rusty but his persisent on other clubs then other.He holds the Pats to a higher stanard ,As a Pats fan I dont and like most o  here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

If we're talking about risk, then the decision to sign or not some player who has a taint should be based on whether he's likely to do it again, or something worse. Is he a bad guy, or did he do something stupid one time and it isn't likely to happen ever again. There's no way of knowing for sure, of course, but something like this doesn't seem to be an indication of a bad guy. That is, unless it was followed by more and more bad stuff.

Clearly, in the case of Hernandez there was more and more bad stuff that was either missed or ignored. I doubt that is the case with this guy, or there's no way they'd go near him at this moment in their history. Even if he is just camp meat.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

If we're talking about risk, then the decision to sign or not some player who has a taint should be based on whether he's likely to do it again, or something worse. Is he a bad guy, or did he do something stupid one time and it isn't likely to happen ever again. There's no way of knowing for sure, of course, but something like this doesn't seem to be an indication of a bad guy. That is, unless it was followed by more and more bad stuff.

Clearly, in the case of Hernandez there was more and more bad stuff that was either missed or ignored. I doubt that is the case with this guy, or there's no way they'd go near him at this moment in their history. Even if he is just camp meat.

Much too rational a postion for this thread.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

Agreed...anyone whose been ko'd by a school for gun posession is a risk...but that is the way it goes today...given that we all now know that the 'Patriot's Way" is, for the most part, a total bunch of hooie, then as long as he doesn't "sin" again and is talented, I'm all for it...

This is really where I stand on this...  The only reason I say this is a risk is because a gun was invloved.  If it was a DUI or something of that nature, I wouldn't be so quick to judge.  I just think the media will be praying on this...  Obviously I hope this guy contributes and mkaes the team.  I'm just a little worried after all the crap that went down...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

Agreed...anyone whose been ko'd by a school for gun posession is a risk...but that is the way it goes today...given that we all now know that the 'Patriot's Way" is, for the most part, a total bunch of hooie, then as long as he doesn't "sin" again and is talented, I'm all for it...

This is really where I stand on this...  The only reason I say this is a risk is because a gun was invloved.  If it was a DUI or something of that nature, I wouldn't be so quick to judge.  I just think the media will be praying on this...  Obviously I hope this guy contributes and mkaes the team.  I'm just a little worried after all the crap that went down...

I do apologize, but would you characterize your postion as perhaps gunshy?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Agian rusty your  going off topic with your rants.This has nothing to do with 50k  suvs or shopping at walmart.This has to do with illegal gun play which he got off of cause a football player .Yes he was kicked out and tranffered ,he should have been in jail like most of us would have been.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

I think you mean "preying".  Well, they certainly have you hooked. No offense, you're a good fan, but the ESPN angle exists because of fans like you.

You can't connect every single off field incident, past, present or future. Don't take the media bait. It appears you have.

I am not worried at all. Hernandez has been released, NE strives and believes in creating a positive locker room with quality people. Although they missed the boat in that area with Hernandez, I just don't see a pattern with this 90th man in camp with Drew. Sorry.

Again, unless you believe NE knew Hernandez was a thug and didn't care, these are just unfortunate coincidences in the offseason for the team.

Dennard, you could argue it's a pattern, but I don't think the Pats believed the Lincoln PD's story and they probably thought undercover cops outside a bar is not only sketchy police protocol, but they likely believed Dennard's admittance of resist in the confusuion and him not knowing who was putting their hands on him.

Very reasonable even if convicted. I thought Dennard taking the stand showed he wasn't guilty of anything overreacting in a crowd of people after someone was cold cocked in a crowd.

Now, if the court has some evidence of a .09 or beyond on 7.31, then you could argue that is a pattern and a problem.   

All in all, you can bet that there are coincidences, unfortunate ones, that will not, in any way, affect the team in 2013.

Kraft and BB always make the right decisions in these areas, whether it's Randy Moss acting up in 2010 or right now with the offseason issues here.

"No offense, you're a good fan, but the ESPN angle exists because of fans like you." 

Maybe I am concerned.....  I'll leave it at that.  I think I have done enough around here to seperate myself from such a theory on my outlook and opinions, than to be a product of ESPN sensationalism.  That's not me bro.  Anyone who knows me - knows I don't jump on that wagon.   

Guy smokes weed... I don't really care.  Guy walks around with gun - Yes I am concerned, especially with the recent events - that's all I am saying. 

As far as Dennard.  Strike 2, not 3.  Regardless of his outcome.  He needs to move to Mass permanently and stay out of Nebraska, or wherever he is now... 

So each player is specific in nature on how I view my opinion. 

Is your feelings towards my thread based on me using the word "Risk"?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Every player is different, every situation is different. Many of these young men have had stumbles along the way. That's the NFL. I have no issue giving them one chance here to become a man and to make something of himself.

The Hernandez thing can't affect these types of issues as you begin to allow the tail to wag the dog.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I think firing a gun into the air is a bit different than firing a gun 5 times into a human being....

Sections
Shortcuts