Rivera vs. Koutouvides,

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Rivera vs. Koutouvides,

Admittedly after watching Niko Koutouvides last season, I may be a bit biased.  However, after watching Mike Rivera during the preseason being out of position on numerous plays and standing four or five yards away from the pile after a running play had been whistled dead, I am finding it difficult to figure out why he is in and Koutouvides is out.

They do have some similarities. Although I wouldn’t characterize them as ‘journey-men’, they have both played for other teams. They’re both 6’2" with NK at 245 lbs. and MR at 252 lbs.

Maybe it’s the age factor, NK 31 year-old (2004 draft), MR 26 year-old (2009 draft). Or perhaps salaries play into it. NK $825K, MR $390K.

Surely BB sees something in Rivera, and I’ll defer to him, but from what I observed in preseason (and I wouldn’t want to say this to his face) but #47 on the field looks like a stiff to me.

He’s probably a very nice young man and I wish him well, and if he plays his position and contributes, I’ll be delighted and I’ll happily ‘eat crow’.

Mike Rivera

Good luck Mike.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Rivera vs. Koutouvides,

I have no idea how Rivera made the team.  On more then one preseason game thread I pointed out how much he sucked.  I believe it was game 2 that he and Moore were directly responsible for a scoring drive.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Both would be bottom-of-the-roster guys who rarely if ever make the field, so upside potential (and practice squad eligibility if Rivera has it and Kout doesn't) would come into play on whether or not to keep them.  I think there's a big possibility Rivera may be gone too if the right players become available on waivers over the next few days.  BB is heavy on defense and light on offense, so look for him to try to pick up an OL (maybe Waters), a FB, and a WR.  (With Demps out, KR is also a need, but I doubt a decent one will be available.) 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Niko also looked pretty bad in I think game 3 - riding along on the back of receivers instead of getting them to the ground.
    I agree - not sure Rivera sticks through this week.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

There are five guys that "made the team" that will be introduced to the BB bottom of the roster way of life, he is one of them and there probably is more than five. Welcome to the world of you're on the roster...now you're off...on...off...on..off..off..see you next training camp where you'll do it all over again. It kind of reminds me of a vampire movie where the vampire keeps some guy/girl alive just to daily slowly suck the life out of them for fun!  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

I would have preferred Tarpanian over either of these two

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

^ me too, Rivera looked slow and out of position from what I saw.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Yeah, the only strong game I saw from Rivera was #4.   Maybe BB saw him finally "getting it". 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

Admittedly after watching Niko Koutouvides last season, I may be a bit biased.  However, after watching Mike Rivera during the preseason being out of position on numerous plays and standing four or five yards away from the pile after a running play had been whistled dead, I am finding it difficult to figure out why he is in and Koutouvides is out.

....because Kouts is a terrible tackler. Flows to the ball well, is athletic, and because of that gets his fare share of tackles as far as the boxscore is concerned but I would easily argue he should have double whatever his boxscore says at the end of each game because he misses so many tackles.

Also the role of the specific LB spot they were generally playing most often played a part.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

The LB core is ridiculously thin in general. WHen Fletcher went down it hurt a lot. After injury prone Spikes you automatically drop to what would have been your 5th LB as next in line(Carpenter).

I believe it's why they kept a few more DL's because they know it. (specifically Francis and Forston)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dastardly. Show dastardly's posts

The Giants preseason game was the only preseason game I watched but I thought  Rivera impressed.  He was all over the field making plays.  I think he even led the team in tackles.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Looks like they both made it as Carpenter was just cut. 

Patriots released LB Bobby Carpenter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

The LB core is ridiculously thin in general. WHen Fletcher went down it hurt a lot. After injury prone Spikes you automatically drop to what would have been your 5th LB as next in line(Carpenter).

I believe it's why they kept a few more DL's because they know it. (specifically Francis and Forston)

Nink can maybe move back to LB, though, with one of the many DEs on the roster taking Nink's DE/OLB spot. 

Sections
Shortcuts