RKarp - Your Presentation Is Due

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Re: RKarp - Your Presentation Is Due

In response to rkarp's comment:

even though we are Pats fans, cant we at least acknowledge Mangold, D'Brick, Howard, Kerley, Revis, Cro, Wilson, Coples, Wilkerson are all players that are talented? Hasnt Holmes torched the Pats enough to give him a little props? Arent the Pats interested in Devito? Doesnt that say something about his ability?

I get it, there is one tool on the board that follows me around like a poodle hanging on my every word. But the rest of us can have a normal conversation that the team that has been to 2 AFCCCG in the past 5 seasons does have a little talent, cant we?

Their talent level is far below the league average.  The players they're releasing and may lose as UFAs aren't much better than replacement level.  Their problem is not "salary cap hell" so much as "lack of talent" hell.

Mangold and Revis are their only elite talent.  Brick used to be, but he has slipped massively in the last couple years.  Cro and Holmes are extremely athletic players and above average; they're both at a talent level I would consider borderline 1-2 (Cro as a 1 or 2 CB, Holmes a 1 or 2 WR).

The players they're losing this year?  Pace, Scott, Smith and Po'uha are all past their prime.  Keller I've always felt was overrated.  Devito is a good D-lineman who they'll probably retain.  Green is a less effective BJGE.  Landry was a 1 year rental.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

agree. player talent hell. not salary cap hell. very good point.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Pouha gone, Revis on his way out. Scott gone. This is cap hell. Even if the Jets have a great draft (unlikely) they will still s--k. They essentially got rid of their best DT, their best DB, and their leading tackler. Imagine if the Pats lost Wilfork, Mayo, and Talib. People would lose their minds; and to top it all off they traded Tom Brady and signed Kyle Boller (David Garrard). When you have discard good players to create cap space that is very close to being the very definition of cap hell.

Contrast this with Miami signing Wallace and still having about $30m in cap space.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

King, I know you've got something going with rkarp but to make a prediction that the jets will be under the cap 25m by this date (considering where they were)  is pretty bold and actually shows some good understanding of how things work.

Sure, got the date wrong by a bit but the way things look they might get there.

Of course they don't have much of a team left

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

RKarp has some egg on his face, just own it.

King don't be a tool and just let it go already. 

We all know the jets, Felger, and I guess Rkarp do not get that there are ramifications come to pay at some point by not being mindful of your cap situation.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Jets WR Santonio Holmes' has agreed to a restructured contract and will remain with the team for the 2013 season.

Don't see the details, but this is likely +3.25 million in cap space.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Mangold restructure is next

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

they dont have to be. they can continue to make moves, restructure, extend and what not as free agents are signed.

They have gone from $31m under to a surplus depending on which numbers you believe of approx $15m...you are foolish to think more will not be cut as they need additional room.

as someone else said, this is a player talent issue, not a salary cap issue...

I believe that is game, set and match...now walk away like a good loser

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

they dont have to be. they can continue to make moves, restructure, extend and what not as free agents are signed.

They have gone from $31m under to a surplus depending on which numbers you believe of approx $15m...you are foolish to think more will not be cut as they need additional room.

RKarp they are one in the same in this case. Because of their cap situation they are very short on the 53 man roster and now have to replace 9 starters from last year. There is no chance they replace all those guys with the same level of talent. So their lack of talent will be because of their cap situation

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

When were they ever 31 over?  In addition the most recent numbers I have seen are closer to 9.  You aren't even close to 30.  How is that game set and match? 

*EDIT This isn't counting the Holmes restructure in which case it could be closer to 12 or 13 depending on the terms.  Still not anywhere near 30.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

King, I know you've got something going with rkarp but to make a prediction that the jets will be under the cap 25m by this date (considering where they were)  is pretty bold and actually shows some good understanding of how things work.

Sure, got the date wrong by a bit but the way things look they might get there.

Of course they don't have much of a team left

Right.  I am just defending my opinion when he called me out showing the board how he thought NY could easily get 30 million under by the start of FA.

He then backpedaled to "20 - 30 million" in his thread and I don't even think they can get to 20. They haven't by now, mainly because Revis (and maybe Cromartie) are holding up the works, not to mention Holmes predictably not restructuring.

Add all that up, their lame duck coach, QB, and possibly the GM, and you have a very unattractive FA landing spot in Jetsy Land.

He's a gutless weasel. I had to ask him to start a thread with our last bet, too.  He then did so only to sarcastically compliment my easily beating him.  He won't even stand up to his side of the bargain in these bets.

How about he and his buddies not be so belligerent to begin with?

A lot better than what you predicted...every team in the NFL will virtually go out of business because of this "salary cap hell" you fell in love with four years ago. Last I checked I see a bunch of washed up 34 year old players hitting the market that no one wanted around anymore. You hear that?? Boom! Another washed up bloated 34 year old just got released. Oh the horror!!

I tell you what, this summer when I go swimming in my pool...I'm going to make sure I'm not alone...I don't want "salary cap hell" sneaking up behind me and pulling me down! Maybe I'll just wear a bubble...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

When were they ever 31 over?  In addition the most recent numbers I have seen are closer to 9.  You aren't even close to 30.  How is that game set and match? 

*EDIT This isn't counting the Holmes restructure in which case it could be closer to 12 or 13 depending on the terms.  Still not anywhere near 30.

they were $31 OVER the cap before cutting both Smiths, Pace, Scott

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Pretty sure that is how much space they cleared by cutting those guys and not how much they were over.  I think it was closer to the 23-24 range.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Pretty sure that is how much space they cleared by cutting those guys and not how much they were over.  I think it was closer to the 23-24 range.

I suppose it depends on whose numbers you use. ESPN on Feb 1st had the Jets approx 150 and change comitted to the top 51 players on the roster. Assuming a salary cap of $121 and change...that is approx $30-$31m over the cap

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

The highest number for the Jets, that I saw, was 19 1/2 million over the CAP.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Hey rust, whatever you do...don't go around picking fights with jets fans the week before a playoff game and then disappear for two weeks after they beat us. Remember those days? Yeah, a lot of fun around here - the board was flooded with jet's fans wanting your head. All of us had to fight them off while you were hiding in your mom's basement clutching to the Pats management secrets volumes one and two. Poor davesdone nearly had a nervous breakdown....in fact, I think he did:(

Hey, why don't you disappear while this free agency and draft period is going on? Then you can pop back in and explain to us all about the cover two in November.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Being 31mil over the cap whether the talent is bad or good people are going to get cut.  Witness the Ravens losses so far or for that matter the Steelers.  The Jets defense has been gutted.  It's the cap that bit them.  The talent question is moot. 

Waiting to get down to 25mil under the cap doesn't make any sense to me.  Starting restructuring now?  Why couldn't it have been done sooner?  They are going to miss out on FA if they keep dragging this out.