Robert Gallery signs with Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zeoli42. Show Zeoli42's posts

Robert Gallery signs with Pats

Mhmmmm.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zeoli42. Show Zeoli42's posts

Re: Robert Gallery signs with Pats

Michael Lombardi@michaelombardi

So to recap correctly, Laron Landry has agreed to a contract with the NY Jets and the Pats have agreed with offensive lineman Robert Gallery

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

nice......im really liking these moves by the pats.....low cost and good quality

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

What I don't like about this is Waters may now be retiring.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zeoli42. Show Zeoli42's posts

I like this pick up becasue Gallery is really talented but he is also still young great pick up for the Pats hopefully on the cheaper side but downside There is no room for Brian Waters so he is prolly going to retire now

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 15315k. Show 15315k's posts

I'd rather have Waters, despite his age. Hopefully he stays, he said that he wants to so its not a worry. Gallery is like 32 years old, he could be a good backup if healthy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

It's called insurance people.  JUST in case Waters retires.  If not, then Gallery is backup/fill in for injury player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Waters might not be gone:

"The Patriots have signed OL Robert Gallery , formerly of the Seahawks, according to NFL.com. He will give them depth on the offensive line, and could compete at RG where Brian Waters was mulling retirement but is now expected back."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/17905844

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

depth...depth...depth.  Get some youth & speed on defense through the draft.  This is a fun organization to watch do their thing.  And to think people were whining about the Pats lack of action when FA started.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Robert Gallery signs with Pats:
    What I don't like about this is Waters may now be retiring.
    Posted by BassFishing

Or this could be a depth move, given he hasn't started 16 games in one season for over 3 years now. He played T in Sea so he has the swing capability. With Cannon as your only swing guy and Connolly as your starting C that leaves basically Waters, Mankins, Vollmer, and Solder as your main starters (I'm guessing Light gets released now). Unless you think Welch or Thomas are affective backups this is a good depth signing that strengths the position. At worst it's another body at camp

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zeoli42. Show Zeoli42's posts

Sorry your right he is 31 so he is not the youngest but he is very good insurance in case Matt Light or Brian Waters he can play both Tackle or Guard your bring in a Starter to play in a back up role if both Light and Waters Return and if not you have a Starter

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Gallery was drafted I believe 3rd overall by Oak to play Tackle. Small problem, he couldn't play Tackle and had to be moved to Guard.

He's a bench warmer, not a starter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Robert Gallery signs with Pats : Or this could be a depth move, given he hasn't started 16 games in one season for over 3 years now. He played T in Sea so he has the swing capability. With Cannon as your only swing guy and Connolly as your starting C that leaves basically Waters, Mankins, Vollmer, and Solder as your main starters (I'm guessing Light gets released now). Unless you think Welch or Thomas are affective backups this is a good depth signing that strengths the position. At worst it's another body at camp
    Posted by PatsEng

I agree, I like this pick up as a relatively low cost veteran with some versatility.

I'd also expect to see them address OL in the draft, preferably C/OG, under the assumption that Cannon would be be viewed more as an OT moving forward.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I like this pick up becasue Gallery is really talented but he is also still young great pick up for the Pats hopefully on the cheaper side but downside There is no room for Brian Waters so he is prolly going to retire now
    Posted by Zeoli42

Gallery is a bust!  The dude is just plain terrible, and I'm using clean words.  If this forum didn't censor bad words you would have read how I really feel about this signing!!  Gallery doesn't have the talent to play for this team, especially at this level.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In Response to Re: Robert Gallery signs with Pats : Gallery is a bust!  The dude is just plain terrible, and I'm using clean words.  If this forum didn't censor bad words you would have read how I really feel about this signing!!  Gallery doesn't have the talent to play for this team, especially at this level.
    Posted by TFB12

Gallery was a bust in the sense that he did not live up to the "best tackle ever" hype following him out of college.  I got the sense he was a decent guard when he was moved inside and has struggled with injury the last couple of years.  We have the best O-line coach in the league and Gallery is a monster of a man.  I don't see why you are so upset about this.  We got him on the cheap.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

wow! i love this signing! makes me think if they are going to cut/trade light then? how much is his cap hit?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm not surprised by this move, we usually go through 10 offensive linemen a year anyways...good depth. Belichick raved about him before the draft and said he was the only guy he would of traded up to acquire (it was a hypothetical question at the time).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I like moves like Gallery, Stallworth, etc.  Low risk, high reward moves that build overall depth.  This offseason has been all about bringing in competition to camp and building roster depth.  No huge splashes, but guys like Lloyd, Stallworth and Fells could be very productive given their familiarity with the offense.  I think if Landry was healthy he never would have left F'boro without a contract. 

I for one have little I want to complain about so far this offseason.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiefret. Show chiefret's posts

Gallery is 6'7", 325 lbs and was the overall #2 pick by the Raiders in the 2004 draft. He was hyped wrongly as the best OT ever by some pundits. He's 31 and as stated adds depth to an offensive juggernaut. BB is still the smartest guy in the room and now the Pats can use their high picks on CB, S, DE and OLB needs. I Live outside Wash DC and the Pats are fortunate they didn't sign Landry. He's not a team player so he'll be right at home w/the Jests.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Robert Gallery signs with Pats : Gallery was a bust in the sense that he did not live up to the "best tackle ever" hype following him out of college.  I got the sense he was a decent guard when he was moved inside and has struggled with injury the last couple of years.  We have the best O-line coach in the league and Gallery is a monster of a man.  I don't see why you are so upset about this.  We got him on the cheap.
    Posted by pcmIV

I LOVE this signing, I liked him coming out of college and felt like Oakland really s c r e w e d up his development. Even with that, from wiki:

"Although Gallery has generally been considered a bust at the left tackle position for which he was drafted and had limited success at the right tackle position, he has performed much better as a left guard.[4] Gallery was considered to be the best Raiders offensive lineman during his 7 year tenure with the team. He excels in run blocking but struggles in pass protection. Gallery and the Raiders agreed to part ways after the 2010 season."

Give him the offseason with Scarnecchia and watch this guy start bulldozing people this season.

How man people were "done" or "busts" in Oakland before excelling elsewhere? Parctically all of them, Oakland is a cancerous, broken franchise, and it's not getting any better under junior's watch.

Waters starts this year, then retires, Gallery/Cannon/Mankins are the likely Gs going forward, Vollmer/Solder as Ts, and yes, probably a young body or 2 through the draft, a T and C would be nice.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

wow! i love this signing! makes me think if they are going to cut/trade light then? how much is his cap hit?
    Posted by natesubs

I was thinking about that, too. Although I don't think they cut Light after his best year in a Pats uni. 

But, it might point to him retiring which in turn frees up 8 million in cap space.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

In Response to Re: Robert Gallery signs with Pats : I LOVE this signing, I liked him coming out of college and felt like Oakland really s c r e w e d up his development. Even with that, from wiki: "Although Gallery has generally been considered a bust at the left tackle position for which he was drafted and had limited success at the right tackle position, he has performed much better as a left guard. [ 4 ] Gallery was considered to be the best Raiders offensive lineman during his 7 year tenure with the team. He excels in run blocking but struggles in pass protection. Gallery and the Raiders agreed to part ways after the 2010 season." Give him the offseason with Scarnecchia and watch this guy start bulldozing people this season. How man people were "done" or "busts" in Oakland before excelling elsewhere? Parctically all of them, Oakland is a cancerous, broken franchise, and it's not getting any better under junior's watch. Waters starts this year, then retires, Gallery/Cannon/Mankins are the likely Gs going forward, Vollmer/Solder as Ts, and yes, probably a young body or 2 through the draft, a T and C would be nice.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

Let's trade Mankins then.  Get that 9 million crap out of here. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

In Response to Re: Robert Gallery signs with Pats : Gallery is a bust!  The dude is just plain terrible, and I'm using clean words.  If this forum didn't censor bad words you would have read how I really feel about this signing!!  Gallery doesn't have the talent to play for this team, especially at this level.
    Posted by TFB12

You're kidding I hope?  He certainly wasn't a bust at all. Oakland blows. He did perform better as a Guard, but he wasn't a bust.

Put it this way, I'd trade Mankins and plop Gallery next to Solder moving forward.  Nick McDonald can get looks at Center, Connolly is a swing guy, Water at RG and Vollmer/Cannon at RT.

Mankins is the most overrated player on our offense. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CAPITALIST_AVENGER. Show CAPITALIST_AVENGER's posts

It's called insurance people.  JUST in case Waters retires.  If not, then Gallery is backup/fill in for injury player.
    Posted by theshinez

its contingency.. or you trade or cut him before the season if waters come back. you just do not want to be a sitting duck if waters retires. hey if he really impresses, then u say bye to waters. pats have been known to be that cold. right now, i see matt light as retiring or being traded. i can see pattaking feelers right now for a second for light. or light for tebow!

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts