Robert Kraft, Duper or Dupee?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Robert Kraft, Duper or Dupee?

Disclaimer:  I am a big fan of Robert Kraft.  I have the utmost respect for him, so don't go bananas posting about how I hate Kraft.  That would be 100% untrue.

Kraft is a brilliant businessman.  He doesn't get taken for a ride by some two bit banger...ever.  Kraft knew exactly what the risks were in bringing in Hernandez.  I'm sure he didn't think he was getting a murderer, but he knew he wasn't getting Tebow either. 

Risk vs. Reward

Hernandez is/was a great football player.  He didn't fool Kraft.  I think Kraft is trying to (and mostly succeeding in) fooling everyone else.  In an effort to bring more victories and deeper playoff runs to New England and to his pockets, he took rolled the dice on this player.  It completely backfired, so now he's going with the whole "I got duped" routine. 

I don't think there is any way he got fooled by Hernandez.  He put himself in this position and is now working damage control.  Many if not most are buying it.  I'm not.

Once again:  I love what Kraft has done for the Pats.  Sure beats the heck out of the Billy Sullivan days.  I have the utmost respect for him as a businessman. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Robert Kraft, Duper or Dupee?

In response to APpats21's comment:

Honestly i doubt he knew that Hernandez was gonna be accused of murder.

As do I.  That's probably why I wrote, "I'm sure he didn't think he was getting a murderer..."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to APpats21's comment:

Honestly i doubt he knew that Hernandez was gonna be accused of murder.

As do I.  That's probably why I wrote, "I'm sure he didn't think he was getting a murderer..."

Until someone provides a source or someone in the Pat organization says they knew about everything in AH past (except the chronic issue) then don't you have to take Kraft at his word?  Well unless you think his is a liar.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Pretty sure Kraft goes on the recommendation of his GM/staff.

BB;  We need to lock up AH, now

Kraft:  Well he certainly looks good but what about the other issues?

BB:  I've seen no evidence of the other issues.

Kraft:  OK, I trust your judgement.  Let's do it.  Here's 40MM.

Sorry, nothing predicts the future better than the past.

Did they look or did they ignore?  TMZ found recent issues.

Nothing substantiated, just accusations.  But enough to make you go, HMMMM!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Kraft is a good businessman, but that doesn't mean he can't be blind to some things. In fact, one of the primary abilities required to be a really good businessman is to be selectively blind. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Duped by Kraft?   Not buying this for one minute. 

He allowed the GM to make a reasonable business decision to draft a player in a lower round than his talent suggested he should be taken.   Then he locked him up (no pun intended) to a long-term deal instead of waiting til FA.  (The board criticizes the Pats all the time for waiting "too long").

AH gave the Pats the impression that he had matured.   He pretty much said that at the time of the extension.

Kraft is more victim than "duper" in my book.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Until someone provides a source or someone in the Pat organization says they knew about everything in AH past (except the chronic issue) then don't you have to take Kraft at his word?  Well unless you think his is a liar.

No, of course you don't have to take him at his word.  People lie.

If you believe that the Pats weren't aware of his true past, then you are giving Kraft and Co. a lot less credit than I am.  It took no time at all for the media to dig up the bar fight, the cohorts from Connecticut and whatever else.  I give Kraft all the credit in the world for being an amazing businessman.  I don't believe for one second that he let this slip by him.

In my opinion, he gambled (which you have to do in business sometimes) and lost.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

If Hernandez was an executive of General Motors, or Fidelity, or Massachusetts General Hospital or any other business, would people be asking "How could the employer NOT have known about this apparent second life as a gang banger"? Do employers regularly moniter the outside activities of their employees? I'm pretty sure that most companies have people with 'questionable' backgrounds working for them if you dig deep enough. We live in a society where everyone has a cell phone, so no one moves around under cover. Were there any media reports of him being involved in anything like this before June 17th? Certainly someone saw or knew something about about Hernandez at Florida, but nothing came out until July 3, 2013. Whatever happened his freshman year at Florida, he was 17 at the time and his record was sealed. There was no evidence that he had done anything other than fail a few drug tests for weed. If there was any proof, it certainly would have come out. Someone would have said something, and it would have made its way into the media. And I just can't believe that Urban Meyer directly told Bill Belichick, "Hey, this Hernandez kid has bigger issues than just the weed. He shot a guy two years ago, but we got the cops to sweep it under the rug, and damn, can he run with the ball after he catches it. Might be worth taking a risk on".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

No, of course you don't have to take him at his word.  People lie.

If you believe that the Pats weren't aware of his true past, then you are giving Kraft and Co. a lot less credit than I am.  It took no time at all for the media to dig up the bar fight, the cohorts from Connecticut and whatever else.  I give Kraft all the credit in the world for being an amazing businessman.  I don't believe for one second that he let this slip by him.

In my opinion, he gambled (which you have to do in business sometimes) and lost.

So you are saying he is a liar. I don't begrudge you your opinion but I will with hold judgement until a source can confirm he is lying.

It is odd that the Pat's are being held accountable by some in this forum for not knowing  or perhaps knowing about the 2007 incident yet not 1 single draft service or publication listed this as an issue only his marijuana problem was cited. Don't you think if this 2007 incident  was known that it would have been public to all at that time?

IMO as of this moment the Pat's are guilty of making a bad decision and that is all.

If we get confirmation that they knew about all these other AH transgressions then yes it is a very different situation and Kraft and the entire organization should be held accountable.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

So you are saying he is a liar. I don't begrudge you your opinion but I will with hold judgement until a source can confirm he is lying.

It is odd that the Pat's are being held accountable by some in this forum for not knowing  or perhaps knowing about the 2007 incident yet not 1 single draft service or publication listed this as an issue only his marijuana problem was cited. Don't you think if this 2007 incident  was known that it would have been public to all at that time?

IMO as of this moment the Pat's are guilty of making a bad decision and that is all.

If we get confirmation that they knew about all these other AH transgressions then yes it is a very different situation and Kraft and the entire organization should be held accountable.

Agreed 100%.   Isn't it amazing how easy everything is in hindsight?

People are saying "look how easy it was for the media to determine XYZ".   All after the fact.

No different than many other incidents that make headline news on a daily basis.  Once the crime is committed then the media swarms in and starts to uncover information.   But beforehand?   Not so much.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Whatever happened his freshman year at Florida, he was 17 at the time and his record was sealed. There was no evidence that he had done anything other than fail a few drug tests for weed. If there was any proof, it certainly would have come out. Someone would have said something, and it would have made its way into the media. And I just can't believe that Urban Meyer directly told Bill Belichick, "Hey, this Hernandez kid has bigger issues than just the weed. He shot a guy two years ago, but we got the cops to sweep it under the rug, and damn, can he run with the ball after he catches it. Might be worth taking a risk on".

It is a legitimate question: what did people (Urban Meyer, BB) know and when did they know it. It is not possible for Meyer not to know the situations AH was involved in. According to the Orlando Sentinel there is a chain of command: player calls Meyer to inform of trouble, Meyer calls Gainesville police chief to say "we'll disapline the player ourselves". Meyer calls UF Criminal Lawyer Huntley Johnson who meets with police, player and accuser in an effort to get all charges dropped. All charges are dropped as accuser does not want trouble with UFlorida and gets free tickets to all games and other inducements.

Since Meyer knew the only question is how much did he tell BB? Since they are friends wouldn't he give some clue of the damage AH could cause?

For links to Huntley Johnson and his reputation in Gainesville, FL see below:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&ved=0CFgQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.orlandosentinel.com%2Fsports_college_uf%2F2009%2F06%2Fmeet-huntley-johnsonthe-florida-gators-defensive-mvp.html&ei=llrhUdScFcX64APvrYBY&usg=AFQjCNGeikSrSqcYuvFvv7e6AwXIC65_Cw&bvm=bv.48705608,d.dmg

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'd sooner believe a self made billionaire businessman is lying than a fool.

The draft service and/or publications listed were probably forbidden on reporting on the 2007 incident because it was sealed.  Whether or not they were aware of it is unknown. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Duped.

"I knew it was coming, just cause, when Gronk (Rob Gronkowski) got it, I knew there was a good chance I was next in line," Hernandez said. "Now that it happened, it's definitely a blessing, and take it in, I'm excited to go on with my life.

"As soon as we started talking about contracts, I was emotional from that day on," he continued. "Honestly, it's hard for me here (at the gala) to stay, keeping my mind off it, and it's just, like I said, it's surreal. Probably when I'm done with this conversation I'll get some tears in my eyes. But it's real, and it's an honor."

Upon agreeing to the extension, Hernandez made a charitable gesture that Patriots owner Robert Kraft appreciated.

"One of the touching moments since I've known the team -- knowing that this is our charitable gala tonight -- Aaron came into my office, a little teary-eyed and presented me with a check for $50,000 to go to Myra Kraft Giving Back Fund," Kraft said. "I said 'Aaron, you don't have to do this, you've already got your contract.' And he said 'No, it makes me feel good and I want to do it.' "

To Kraft, Hernandez's donation reflected the organization's desire to have players give back after receiving financial security by playing in the NFL.

"That made me feel good because part of the thing that we learned early on is that we have a lot of young men who come into this business, and they come from humble financial homes, and part of what we try to do is make them understand is that there is a psychic income involved in giving back both your time and your financial resources, if you can do that," he said.

"And I sensed that he was touched in doing that. We didn't request it, it's something that he decided. And to flip the switch from living modestly to all of the sudden having a lot of income, I think we have to work real hard to help our young men adjust to that."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Duped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iirGGNVtncc

Guy said all the right things. Whatever they knew/didn't know about what he did in Gainesville, they believed he had matured. Seriously, why else would they give him the contract? Do you think intelligent people like Kraft and Belichick would have given him the money if they thought he was engaging in gang activities in his spare time?

Hey, I know, maybe they were part of it. He was paying them out of the proceeds of his drug dealing. Maybe he threatened them, this was actually extortion. "Hey Krafty, give me $40 mil or me and my homies will pay a visit to your crib..." while he showed him the 9 mm in his underwear.

You can legitimately ask whether they should have known more. Should they have followed him, spied on him? Maybe, certainly in hindsight. But to wonder whether they were aware, somehow, that they knew he was shooting people? Because that's what you're saying here. There's no other conclusion.

That's about the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

You can legitimately ask whether they should have known more. Should they have followed him, spied on him? Maybe, certainly in hindsight. But to wonder whether they were aware, somehow, that they knew he was shooting people? Because that's what you're saying here. There's no other conclusion.

That's about the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board.

No, that's not what I'm saying here.  In fact, I went out of my way to make it clear that wasn't what I was saying.

Read it again.  Pay attention this time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

with "friends" like you, I'd hate to meet Bob Kraft's enemies.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I read it again, not sure what I got wrong? You said he knew the risks involved in signing Hernandez, that he didn'nt "think" Hernandez was a murderer, but he was willing to roll the dice.

The way I read that is that Kraft knew Hernandez was a bad guy, but was willing to chance his reputation on the hope that what, he had stopped shooting people? What remote sense does that make?

Maybe I don't get it, what exactly are you saying? What is the risk that Kraft took into consideration when they signed him?

You say, on the one hand that Kraft is a brilliant businessman. Brilliant businessmen don't chance their good names and their money on gangbangers. If Kraft did that, he's not smart. I think he is smart, which means he had no idea Hernandez was a gangster when he signed him.  You obviously disagree.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Oh . . .   I don't think anyone was "duped." We can argue about degrees of risk and I certainly don't think anyone in the organization envisioned an elite athlete throwing away his career and his freedom over "street cred," but this is all part and parcel of the system that produces these elite athletes and the proffessional leagues that take advantage of it.

Everybody nods and winks when . . .  oh, lets say a Percy Harvin shows up at the combine with THC in his system and can't seem to shake his persistent "migraines." When a guy like that snaps and starts showing up his coach on the sidelines in the middle of the game you simply send him out of town . . .  where there will be no shortage of suitors who will go on turning a blind eye. See . . .  that's how the worst of these guys get to be the way they are. There's always -- ALWAYS! -- someone willing to turn a blind eye . . .  up to a point.

Now, obviously there's no looking away from premeditated murder, but more important (to me, at least) than pointing fingers and wondering who might be a fraud and who might be a dupe? is exactly where on the scale between smoking a little weed and being an unpleasant locker room presence and a murderer the line should be drawn.

I mean, it's not like there haven't been murderers (well . . .  manslaughterers, at any rate) back in the league after performing their community service. So where is the line?

What's the worst thing you can do and still keep your job?

I think that would be a much more interesting discussion.

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

p-mike, interesting for sure. Athletes definitely get away with more than workers in other businesses. Not sure where the line is, but if you put it on a graph, one side would be talent level and the other would be the gravity of the offense.

So for a guy like Big Ben the graph extends past sexual assault, but for the third string guard, it probably doesn't extend much past DUI.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I read it again, not sure what I got wrong? You said he knew the risks involved in signing Hernandez, that he didn'nt "think" Hernandez was a murderer, but he was willing to roll the dice.

The way I read that is that Kraft knew Hernandez was a bad guy, but was willing to chance his reputation on the hope that what, he had stopped shooting people? What remote sense does that make?

Maybe I don't get it, what exactly are you saying? What is the risk that Kraft took into consideration when they signed him?

You say, on the one hand that Kraft is a brilliant businessman. Brilliant businessmen don't chance their good names and their money on gangbangers. If Kraft did that, he's not smart. I think he is smart, which means he had no idea Hernandez was a gangster when he signed him.  You obviously disagree.

You're pretty good at twisting people's words, but it doesn't work on me, Charlie.  If you want to try this approach on someone else, feel free.  Not on me.

I could go on and on and on, back and forth with you about what I said and how your interpretation is incredibly (and most likely intentionally) wrong, but that's not my style.  If you can't read what's written, that's your issue, not mine.  I'm not playing the Pats BDC Board game with you of "no, what I said was" 100 times.

I'm sorry you don't understand.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

You know what?

Not one of us in here were whining about AH when he was making the plays. I don't recall any discussions about the Patriots being "duped" when he was playing. 

From Wikipedia:

New England Patriots

Hernandez was drafted by the New England Patriots in the fourth round (113th overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft. The previous day, the Patriots drafted another tight end, Rob Gronkowski. Shortly after he was drafted, The Boston Globe reported Hernandez had admitted to marijuana use and had failed multiple drug tests while in college, causing his draft stock to drop.[14] Later that day, the Patriots released a statement from Hernandez, who said he had failed only one drug test while in college and was candid about it to interested teams at the NFL Scouting Combine.[15]

Hernandez signed a four-year contract on June 8, 2010.[16] The contract included a signing bonus of $200,000—less than half the bonus received by Patriots fourth-round pick placekicker Stephen Gostkowski in 2006.[17] To compensate for the small signing bonus, the deal also includes a series of roster and workout bonuses that add up to an additional $700,000, which means that "Hernandez can wind up getting the money a third-rounder would over four years, but he's gotta walk the straight and narrow line to do so."[18]

2010 season

Hernandez started the 2010 season as the youngest player on any active roster in the NFL. In Week 2, against the New York Jets, he caught six passes for 101 yards, making him the youngest player since 1960 to have 100 yards receiving in a single game. In the Patriots' Week 3 victory over the Buffalo Bills, Hernandez led all Patriots receivers with six catches for 65 yards, and had one rush for 13 yards. In the Patriots' Week 9 loss against the Cleveland Browns, Hernandez caught his first career touchdown on a one-yard pass from quarterback Tom Brady, and added another touchdown later in the game. In Week 15, Hernandez caught two touchdown passes from Brady in a win over the Green Bay Packers, earning Hernandez Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week honors. He finished the 2010 season with 45 receptions for 563 yards and six touchdowns in 14 games played (7 starts).

2011 season

For his first season in the NFL, Hernandez wore the #85 jersey. In July 2011 during training camp, wide receiver Chad Johnson came to the team from a trade with the Cincinnati Bengals. Hernandez immediately let Johnson, who then legally had his last name as "Ochocinco" based on his uniform number, have the #85, choosing to go back to his college number of #81, which had been taken by Randy Moss from 2007 until his mid-season trade to the Vikings in 2010.[19]

Through Week 15, Hernandez played in 12 of the Patriots' 14 games, starting 10; for the second season in a row, Hernandez missed two regular-season games with a knee injury. He set career bests in receptions and yards in Week 15, against the Denver Broncos, with nine catches for 129 yards and one touchdown.

Hernandez and teammate Rob Gronkowski are the first pair of tight ends in NFL history to score at least five touchdowns each in consecutive seasons for the same team; both rank in the top 20 among all receivers in number of catches. In December 2011, Hernandez was named a Pro Bowl alternate during the season.[20] In the NFL playoffs, Hernandez had the longest run of the postseason, a 42-yard run against the Denver Broncos on the Patriots' first offensive drive of the game. Hernandez led the Patriots to Super Bowl XLVI but the Patriots lost the game to the Giants 17-21.

2012 season

Hernandez was sidelined during the Patriot's Week 2 game against the Arizona Cardinals with a high ankle sprain and missed several weeks.[21] On December 10, during the Monday Night Football game against the Houston Texans, Hernandez recorded 8 receptions for 58 yards and two touchdowns.[22]

Gronkowski-Hernandez tandem

At the start of the 2011 season, Hernandez was one of only two tight ends on the roster; the other was his fellow 2010 draftee Rob Gronkowski.

Although Hernandez's stats were eclipsed by Gronkowski's, Hernandez still ranked in the top 5 in receptions, yards, and touchdowns among tight ends; according to NBC Sports, Hernandez and Gronkowski are the first pair of tight ends in NFL history to catch 5 touchdown passes in consecutive seasons with the same team. In 2011 they also set NFL records for yardage, receptions, and touchdowns by tight ends on one team, combining for 169 receptions, 2,237 yards, and 24 touchdowns. The previous records for receptions and yards by tight ends on a single team was set in 1984 by the San Diego Chargers, who had four tight ends combine for 163 receptions and 1,927 yards;[23] the 24 touchdowns eclipsed the record of 18 touchdowns caught by Gronkowski, Hernandez, and Alge Crumpler in 2010.

-end of article

We were ALL duped. As long as the guy was on the field, he was more than OK. The AH/Gronk combo had a lot of NFL teams considering a TE tandom like that. BB was more than once credited with drafting AH when he fell to them in the draft. Make no mistake, there was surely another NFL team that would have taken him very soon if we had passed. 

Smoking doobies in a van down by the river? A 20 year old kid in college? Name a kid in college who ISN'T doing just that? Let's face it, college is Party Central. I think a lot of NFL teams realize that players in college are not there for just the academics. I also think colleges could perhaps do more in the accountabilty department for students there on a sports scholarship. You want a free college education? You have to do more than just play football. You have to be accountable too. 

Instead of trying to somehow lay this on Kraft or BB, why not start where the trouble begins? College programs need to start showing zero tolerance for off field behavior that can be seen as signs of trouble in a student/player. A wink and a nod is not cutting it. Let's start to see colleges step it up in that regard. Instead we see them letting seedlings of trouble grow into bigger trouble. The NFL then drafts these kids that have been treated with kid gloves and sudden;y it's the NFL's fault. No, the only one responsible for AH's actions is AH himself. I wonder if there were some kind of mentorship or accountability program in place at Florida would have resulted in a different AH? We'll never know but, maybe we should start prepping these kids in college for the NFL. Maybe we should be stepping in and holding them accountable for their actions before they get bigger and bigger. Discipline is one thing, but actually implementing it is another. There should be big time discipline for even small offenses in college programs. 

But again, we were ALL duped. Nobody here complained about AH's performance as a Patriot. Now we have the "I told you so!" types pointing fingers at Kraft and BB and the entire Patriots organization. Everyone looked at AH's past as just that. The past. Nobody can predict the future. Mr. Kraft appears to be a man that believes in giving people a second chance. He gave that to AH. AH performed on the field admirably. 

We still need to give people second and even third chances to redeem themselves. We can't give up on people who've made mistakes just because AH did this. I even think Dennard deserves another chance. Let the NFL and Goodell do what they must but, let's not lump Dennard in with AH either.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Meyer said just last weekend that Hernandeat discipline problems at UF were "relatively minor".  He characterized the reports of failed drug tests as "exaggerated".  He sad he played 3 years and was a good player.  

Im sure he told the Pats the same thing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

You win some, you lose some. They lost this one. Wah. What's the big deal?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

You're pretty good at twisting people's words, but it doesn't work on me, Charlie.  If you want to try this approach on someone else, feel free.  Not on me.

I could go on and on and on, back and forth with you about what I said and how your interpretation is incredibly (and most likely intentionally) wrong, but that's not my style.  If you can't read what's written, that's your issue, not mine.  I'm not playing the Pats BDC Board game with you of "no, what I said was" 100 times.

I'm sorry you don't understand.

[/QUOTE]

So be it then.

But you implied Kraft knew something about Hernandez and said that he wasn't duped. Don't know how else to read your words. I didn't twist anything.

I'm saying if Kraft knew Hernandez was a bad guy, he wasn't very smart to extend his contract because smart people don't do business with people like that. Personally, I don't believe that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Agreed.  But man, with teams paying out millions of dollars to these players you would think they would have a pretty good background person checking each player out.  Not just public records but actually talking to people who know the players, coached the players, a wide range of people who had any contact with the player.

Sure, they aren't going to find out the player is going to commit murder in the future but they sure would find out more then what was reported on Hernandez only failing drug tests going into the draft.

Here is an article from 2010 concerning background checks on players headed into the draft.

http://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/2010/04/29/nfl-teams-use-background-checks-to-help-draft-college-football-players-as-new-employees/

Also an article from 2003 talking about background checks.

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/apr/20/sports/sp-nfldraft20

Sections
Shortcuts