Robert Kraft, Duper or Dupee?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Re: Robert Kraft, Duper or Dupee?

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Until someone provides a source or someone in the Pat organization says they knew about everything in AH past (except the chronic issue) then don't you have to take Kraft at his word?  Well unless you think his is a liar.

Agreed.  But man, with teams paying out millions of dollars to these players you would think they would have a pretty good background person checking each player out.  Not just public records but actually talking to people who know the players, coached the players, a wide range of people who had any contact with the player.

Sure, they aren't going to find out the player is going to commit murder in the future but they sure would find out more then what was reported on Hernandez only failing drug tests going into the draft.

Here is an article from 2010 concerning background checks on players headed into the draft.

http://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/2010/04/29/nfl-teams-use-background-checks-to-help-draft-college-football-players-as-new-employees/

Also an article from 2003 talking about background checks.

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/apr/20/sports/sp-nfldraft20

I don't think the background check is infallible TFB.  You get what's on the public record.  Next, you can interview neighbors and employers if you want to take it up a notch.

BB probably got the inside scoop from Meyer.  Meyer is still saying that Hernandez' discipline problems were "relatively minor" and that for 3 years he was a good football player.  If BB relied  on the information from Meyer, he made the right call.  Sadly, it did not turn out so well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Look at all of the dirt dug up on him in the past three weeks.  Before offering a guy $40,000,000, don't you think the Pats could have found all of this out?  They could pay someone $50K/yr to research every aspect of any player.  Interviews with coaches, friends, neighbors, regulars at the hangouts, cops...everyone...could uncover a lot of info.

If this wasn't done and Kraft truly didn't have any idea of Hernandez's background, I would sooner believe it's because he didn't want to know, not because he was fooled. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I don't care how Kraft runs his business or if he does enough background checks on his employee's.

Football, in particular, Patriots football is a source of entertainment for me.  That's all.  I don't expect an All-Saints team and really don't care if the league was full of ex-cons.  I brought my kids up to not look up to these guys as role models.  

What kind of product is the Pats putting on the field?  Do I still find it entertaining?  Do I still want to spend my money, time or both watching this product?

I still do. 

I'm excited before almost every season.  

How will the Pats offense run with all the new receivers?

Which ones will contribute?

How will they respond without Hernandez and possibly Gronk for awhile?

How much has the Defense improved if any?

Can't wait for all the answers to these questions and more.

I'll miss AH's YAC.  Too bad he turned out to be a killer.

Hope Alfonso is still on the team this season.  If not, just another casualty of stupidity. 

For me, life as a football fan goes on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

You win some, you lose some. They lost this one. Wah. What's the big deal?

oh i dunno...murders?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

I have mixed feelings about this issue.  Most people go through employment screening including psych profiles.  I'd imagine the background checks get more intense with the salary/responsibility of the position.  Think security clearances.  Sometimes bad apples slip through the screening.

Is Hernandez a sociopath, or merely another athlete who was enabled by getting passes thoughout his life because of his athletic talent, and the bad behavior kept escalating because he was not accountable and felt he was untouchable?  He could say the right things publicly, just like a 5 year old manipulating his parents to avoid being punished, or having punishment reduced.

In the risk management environment, what happened is like winning the reverse mega-millions for the Pat's front office.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Here's what I find amazing. There was  a shooting in Gainesville, Florida on Sept. 30, 2007. The shooter identified several UF players, including Hernandez, as potentially being involved. And yet not one mention of this came out either when he was drafted (or when the Pouncey twins or Reggie Nelson were drafted), or when the extension was signed. Where was the media coverage of this shooting back in 2007? Presumably, the victim would have been taken to the hospital and it apparently was reported to the police. Did none of the journalists do ANY investigation into it? Did the police totally cover it up? How come there was nothing about this incident until July 3, 2013? Every 'jounalist' out there is looking to make a name for themselves by getting the breaking story on any famous person they can, and yet there was not one word about this shooting and Hernandez' involvement. How does that happen?

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-07-03/sports/os-aaron-hernandez-2007-florida-shooting-details-0703_1_aaron-hernandez-jacksonville-jaguars-gainesville

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

oh i dunno...murders?

Murder is a big deal but that is beside the point. The point was that Kraft and the Patriots gambled on a troubled 1st round talent with a 4th round pick and subsequent extension and lost this one. That to me is not a big deal. I guess some people would rather the Patriots play it safe. Probably those same people who rant about the Patriots not going all in for Brady's last few years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

Here's what I find amazing. There was  a shooting in Gainesville, Florida on Sept. 30, 2007. The shooter identified several UF players, including Hernandez, as potentially being involved. And yet not one mention of this came out either when he was drafted (or when the Pouncey twins or Reggie Nelson were drafted), or when the extension was signed. Where was the media coverage of this shooting back in 2007? Presumably, the victim would have been taken to the hospital and it apparently was reported to the police. Did none of the journalists do ANY investigation into it? Did the police totally cover it up? How come there was nothing about this incident until July 3, 2013? Every 'jounalist' out there is looking to make a name for themselves by getting the breaking story on any famous person they can, and yet there was not one word about this shooting and Hernandez' involvement. How does that happen?

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-07-03/sports/os-aaron-hernandez-2007-florida-shooting-details-0703_1_aaron-hernandez-jacksonville-jaguars-gainesville

It was Florida.  As we were reminded again with the Zimmerman verdict, shooting people in Florida is okay . . . 

Sections
Shortcuts