Rodney Harrison Preaching That Patriots Are Missing Hard-Hitting Safety

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Rodney Harrison Preaching That Patriots Are Missing Hard-Hitting Safety

In response to PhatVirginian's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Says Patriots missing hard hitting safety who can set the tone for the game. With Spikes return as questionable; who do the Patriots have left who can set the tone on the field?

full article at the link

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2014/02/patriots_beat_hard_hitting_expose_on_missing_link

"Rodney Harrison has been on this crusade for a little while now. And when the former Patriots safety gets up on his soap box, it’s hard not to listen.

Harrison has been preaching for the Pats to acquire a tone-setter for the middle of the football field. He’s been pleading for them to land an intimidating, hard-hitting safety, à la Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor or Harrison himself in his heyday."

[/QUOTE]

Rodney is absolutely right. BB made a huge mistake in signing the ancient Adrian Wilson, instead of bringing the villanous Bernard Pollard aboard, last offseason. If Pollard had been in a Patriots uniform in Denver in January, Wes Welker wouldn't have dared to take that cheap shop on Aqib Talib.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think there is a difference between Harrison who is all but universally thought of as a great SS who hid hard but was not "dirty" and Pollard who tries to hurt players. Jack Tatum was such a thug. I do not think Harrison was in that category.

But if you take Harrison's point you have to realize that it is not JUST hard hitting that counts. You need a player who makes plays and does not break down with mistakes that result in big plays by the oppoenent. You need a really good SS who brings hard hitting as a part of their natural game. Guys like that do not grow on trees.

[/QUOTE]

agree Tatum was a thug no way Harrison or most NFL played then and now fit in his class

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't recall LT ever being called dirty...he was relentless and hit brutally hard but I can't recall him being called dirty

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. LT get's the "dirty" rap from that hit on Joe Theisman, when he broke Theisman's leg. But, there was nothing "dirty" about that hit. Even Theisman has acknowledged that. Immediately after the hit, Taylor was seen waving frantically for medical assistance for Theisman. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Of course he is.  And if Rodney played corner he'd be preaching how we need a corner etc.  Look I love the guy and I'm not saying we couldn't upgrade the S position, but he might be a little biased eh?

I mean Ray Lewis was going on all last season that the Ravens needed more leadership on defense and the LB corps needed to step up etc. etc.  Think that was a coincidence?

And for those of you mentioning Pollard you are all crazy imo.  First of all why you'd want the d_bag that cost us at least 1 SB if not more on this team is beyond me, but that aside the guy is an obvious headcase (hence the 4 teams in the last 6 seasons) and for that matter he isn't even that good.  Rodney might have had a rep for being dirty, but he was also an amazing safety.  Pollard is a JAG that no one would even know about if it weren't for the high profile injuries he's caused.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"In response to 42AND46's comment:

[QUOTE]

does he mean hard hitting or dirty like he was?"

both actually. You know, a bit like Lawrence Taylor (you may have heard of him) but at the safety spot.

".you just have to realize that's his make up...he's not going to change...take the good with the bad and roll on...don't tajke his refusal to admit anything as an insult...he's like that to EVERYONE...it's like the hard ground under your feet...only a dusaster will change the way it is...ACCEPTANCE is crucial to a happy life"

Mel that is some pretty smart and wise stuff there. However, I would add that along with acceptance, a willingess to change, rethink, educate and develop is a big key to personal happiness. It's reasonable to challenge others to do the same. I don't expect Rusty to ever change as you point out, but it would do him and all of us good if he did. Change is not impossible by any stretch. 

[/QUOTE]

If one is to accept Rusty for who he is, shouldn't the same be done for Babe - since he's not going to change either?

Change is good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Of course he is.  And if Rodney played corner he'd be preaching how we need a corner etc.  Look I love the guy and I'm not saying we couldn't upgrade the S position, but he might be a little biased eh?

I mean Ray Lewis was going on all last season that the Ravens needed more leadership on defense and the LB corps needed to step up etc. etc.  Think that was a coincidence?

And for those of you mentioning Pollard you are all crazy imo.  First of all why you'd want the d_bag that cost us at least 1 SB if not more on this team is beyond me, but that aside the guy is an obvious headcase (hence the 4 teams in the last 6 seasons) and for that matter he isn't even that good.  Rodney might have had a rep for being dirty, but he was also an amazing safety.  Pollard is a JAG that no one would even know about if it weren't for the high profile injuries he's caused.

[/QUOTE]

disagree on Pollard he us better than ur giving him credit for...teams may let him go but others want him...abd attitude is part if being good especially at his pisition

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Don't you think that the point that Harrison is making is that the Patriots need a player in the defense who can "set the tone", whether it's a CB or S or DE or LB?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

both actually. You know, a bit like Lawrence Taylor (you may have heard of him) but at the safety spot.

".you just have to realize that's his make up...he's not going to change...take the good with the bad and roll on...don't tajke his refusal to admit anything as an insult...he's like that to EVERYONE...it's like the hard ground under your feet...only a dusaster will change the way it is...ACCEPTANCE is crucial to a happy life"

Mel that is some pretty smart and wise stuff there. However, I would add that along with acceptance, a willingess to change, rethink, educate and develop is a big key to personal happiness. It's reasonable to challenge others to do the same. I don't expect Rusty to ever change as you point out, but it would do him and all of us good if he did. Change is not impossible by any stretch. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't recall LT ever being called dirty...he was relentless and hit brutally hard but I can't recall him being called dirty

[/QUOTE]

If LT had been a safety, would he have played any differently than the way Rodney played the game?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

disagree on Pollard he us better than ur giving him credit for...teams may let him go but others want him...abd attitude is part if being good especially at his pisition.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. He's better than pcmIV is giving him credit for. Why would the fact that he's cost the Pats a couple of SBs be a negative for bringing him on board? Holding grudges that interfere with good business is counter-productive at best, and just plain silly at worst. The fact that Pollard has the rep for being physical and hurting people makes him the intimidator that the Pats need. WRs like Welker and TEs like Jermaine Thomas would think twice about crossing the middle with Pollard laying in the weeds. Guys like this set the tone for a defense. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

disagree on Pollard he us better than ur giving him credit for...teams may let him go but others want him...abd attitude is part if being good especially at his pisition.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. He's better than pcmIV is giving him credit for. Why would the fact that he's cost the Pats a couple of SBs be a negative for bringing him on board? Holding grudges that interfere with good business is counter-productive at best, and just plain silly at worst. The fact that Pollard has the rep for being physical and hurting people makes him the intimidator that the Pats need. WRs like Welker and TEs like Jermaine Thomas would think twice about crossing the middle with Pollard laying in the weeds. Guys like this set the tone for a defense. 

[/QUOTE]

agree on all counts Tex...i DO understand the hard feelings tho as emotions are so passionate with us fans...i would've had Chipper Jones as a Met in a heartbeat but I would understand those who couldn't stand him in a Mets uniform

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If LT had been a safety, would he have played any differently than the way Rodney played the game?

[/QUOTE]

good question...dunno but he would play same as he played LB which is hard relentless smart etc...but not dirty

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. LT get's the "dirty" rap from that hit on Joe Theisman, when he broke Theisman's leg. But, there was nothing "dirty" about that hit. Even Theisman has acknowledged that. Immediately after the hit, Taylor was seen waving frantically for medical assistance for Theisman. 

[/QUOTE]

that was just a freak accident.  First gruesome injury that I can remember on a QB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't one want the guy playing for your team vs. against it? I wouldn't have objected to bringing Pollard on board.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If one is to accept Rusty for who he is, shouldn't the same be done for Babe - since he's not going to change either?

Change is good.

[/QUOTE]

Yes but mel is a hypocrite and does not practice what he preaches.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Says Patriots missing hard hitting safety who can set the tone for the game. With Spikes return as questionable; who do the Patriots have left who can set the tone on the field?

full article at the link

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2014/02/patriots_beat_hard_hitting_expose_on_missing_link

"Rodney Harrison has been on this crusade for a little while now. And when the former Patriots safety gets up on his soap box, it’s hard not to listen.

Harrison has been preaching for the Pats to acquire a tone-setter for the middle of the football field. He’s been pleading for them to land an intimidating, hard-hitting safety, à la Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor or Harrison himself in his heyday."

[/QUOTE]

does he mean hard hitting or dirty like he was?

[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't you be concerned about the 7-9 Giants? Well, they have the easiest schedule next season so I suppose not.

[/QUOTE]

I bet they still don't win 10 games...and yes I'm including last season!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

If Pollard is so good why did he just finish playing on his 4th team in 6 seasons?  Why did he only command a 1 year deal for 2 million this past offseason after winning the SB?  Why did the Ravens cut him despite their obvious needs at S this season?  Everything points to this guy being nothing special. Other than the high profile injuries I don't see anything on his resume that explains all the attention this guy gets.

Going into the 2013 offseason I couldn't find a single publication that had Pollard ranked in the top 10 of free agent safeties.  When you command a smaller contract than Patrick Chung you just aren't that great imo.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

If Pollard is so good why did he just finish playing on his 4th team in 6 seasons?  Why did he only command a 1 year deal for 2 million this past offseason after winning the SB?  Why did the Ravens cut him despite their obvious needs at S this season?  Everything points to this guy being nothing special. Other than the high profile injuries I don't see anything on his resume that explains all the attention this guy gets.

RESPONSE: I don't know the answer to these questions. But, what I do know is that the Patriots need an intimidator at SS. They foolishly signed the ancient Adrian Wilson, instead of taking a flier on Pollard.

Going into the 2013 offseason I couldn't find a single publication that had Pollard ranked in the top 10 of free agent safeties.  When you command a smaller contract than Patrick Chung you just aren't that great imo.

RESPONSE: You may be right. But, Pollard is better than anything that the Patriots currently have...and would be the intimidating presence in the secondary that they are currently lacking.

[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

because he's getting old for a football player. One question is, would he help the team? Is he better than what we've got?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Change is good.

[/QUOTE]

Yes but mel is a hypocrite and does not practice what he preaches.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know about that. I'd rather hear what Mel says.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

because he's getting old for a football player. One question is, would he help the team? Is he better than what we've got?

Getting old?  He was 28 last offseason.  My opinion is he would not help the team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Agree with pcm about Pollard. Yes he can hit hard(and dirty) but he is the first to be cut from teams or given 1 or 2 year deals. He was out performed by ex Patriot James Inhdihgdhiedkdbo and is a FA again for a reason.

Plus, fans can be objective all they want but if you were Tom Brady would you want the only human being on the planet that prevented you from playing football for an entire year and threatened your career on your team? Hell no...and Gronk probably wouldn't be very happy either after his drag down tackle from behind where he lifted both feet off the ground and landed on Gronks foot with all his weight. 

Get the guy who ruined 2 Super Bowls from questionable plays and knowing he is the 12th highest rated free agent safety??? Um, NO THANKS!

WalterFootball.com - Detailed NFL Mock Drafts, Player Prospect Rankings, and One of the Largest Mock Draft Databases on the Web 
    2014 NFL Free Agents: Safeties

2014 NFL Free Agent Positions: 
    QB |  RB |  FB |  WR |  TE |  OT |  G |  C |  DE |  DT |  OLB |  ILB |  CB |  S |  K/P |  FA Grades |  FA Rumors 

2014 NFL Free Agency: Star rating is out of five. Age listing as of Sept. 1, 2014. 
    Follow me  @walterfootball for updates. 

1.  Jairus Byrd, S, Bills. Age: 27.  
      Jairus Byrd is arguably the top safety in the NFL. He's awesome in coverage and is good for collecting a handful of turnovers each season. He won't be 28 until October. 

2.  T.J. Ward, S, Browns. Age: 27.  
      Known for knocking out Rob Gronkowski for the year with a torn ACL and MCL, T.J. Ward is a top safety. He thrives in run support and doesn't have any weaknesses. He won't be 28 until December. 

3.  Donte Whitner, S, 49ers. Age: 29.  
      Donte Whitner gets into trouble for the occasional illegal hit, but he's still an excellent strong safety. He has missed only one game in the past four seasons. 

4.  Chris Clemons, S, Dolphins. Age: 28.  
      Chris Clemons is a very good coverage safety who has missed only three games in the past four seasons. He'll be missed if the Dolphins can't re-sign him. 

5.  Major Wright, S, Bears. Age: 26.  
      Major Wright played very well in 2012, but had an awful 2013 campaign. Perhaps he deserves a mulligan, as he battled neck and hamstring injuries all season. He's only 26, so he should be able to rebound. 

6.  Stevie Brown, S, Giants. Age: 27.  
      Stevie Brown had an excellent 2012 campaign, but missed all of 2013 with a torn ACL. He'd have a higher ranking if he weren't coming off that knee injury. 

7.  Louis Delmas, S, Lions. Age: 27.  
      The Lions had to cut Louis Delmas for financial reasons, but they'll miss him. Delmas played well this past season, appearing in all 16 games for the first time in his career. Delmas is very effective when he's on the field, but durability is the big issue. He missed a combined 13 contests in 2011 and 2012. 

8.  Antoine Bethea, S, Colts. Age: 30.  
      Antoine Bethea has been a pretty average starting safety over the past few seasons, but he'll be hitting 30 in July. 

9.  Brandon Meriweather, S, Redskins. Age: 30.  
      Brandon Meriweather can sometimes be an effective player when he's not serving suspensions for dirty hits. He just turned 30 though. 

10.  Husain Abdullah, S, Chiefs. Age: 29.  
      Husain Abdullah started the final two games of the season, and by watching him, it makes you wonder why Andy Reid didn't play him more earlier. Abdullah picked off Andrew Luck twice in a playoff loss. 

11.  Michael Mitchell, S, Panthers. Age: 27.  
      Everyone laughed at Al Davis when he selected Michael Mitchell in the second round, but Mitchell was pretty decent in coverage this past year. 

12.  Bernard Pollard, S, Titans. Age: 29.  
      The Patriots' worst nightmare, Bernard Pollard continues to be strong in run support, but somewhat of a liability in coverage. 

13.  Ryan Mundy, S, Giants. Age: 29.  
      Ryan Mundy has done well filling in for injured players at the safety position. He's strong against the run, but is somewhat weak in coverage. 

14.  James Ihedigbo, S, Ravens. Age: 30.  
      James Ihedigbo, beat out rookie Matt Elam for one of the safety spots to open the 2013 season, but struggled in coverage to close out the year. He's great in run support. 

15.  Mike Adams, S, Broncos. Age: 33.  
      Mike Adams has been an average starting safety over the years, but his play could decline soon, given that he'll be 33 in March. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

[QUOTE]

Getting old?  He was 28 last offseason.  My opinion is he would not help the team.

[/QUOTE]

He's 29. Some guys don't even last 2-3 years. It's all good. I don't really care one way or the other - imo, we just need to get several players on defense who can do their job - and lay the wood once in a while - enough to get people's attention - and be afraid of the defense. The Patriots simple don't have that anymore

Who's on your radar?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agree with pcm about Pollard. Yes he can hit hard(and dirty) but he is the first to be cut from teams or given 1 or 2 year deals. He was out performed by ex Patriot James Inhdihgdhiedkdbo and is a FA again for a reason.

RESPONSE: Please cite your reasoning behind this statement about Pollard being outperformed by James I.. 

Plus, fans can be objective all they want but if you were Tom Brady would you want the only human being on the planet that prevented you from playing football for an entire year and threatened your career on your team? Hell no...and Gronk probably wouldn't be very happy either after his drag down tackle from behind where he lifted both feet off the ground and landed on Gronks foot with all his weight. 

RESPONSE: A possibility.

Get the guy who ruined 2 Super Bowls from questionable plays and knowing he is the 12th highest rated free agent safety??? Um, NO THANKS!

RESPONSE: How high were the Patriots' strong safeties ranked? How's that Tavon Wilson pick working for ya? How did that Adrian Wilson signing work out? Are either of those guys ranked ahead of Pollard? Furthermore, this list combines the FS and SS positions. So...you saying that Pollard was ranked 12th among safeties was correct. But, where does herank among strong safeties? Two different positions.

WalterFootball.com - Detailed NFL Mock Drafts, Player Prospect Rankings, and One of the Largest Mock Draft Databases on the Web 
    2014 NFL Free Agents: Safeties

2014 NFL Free Agent Positions: 
    QB |  RB |  FB |  WR |  TE |  OT |  G |  C |  DE |  DT |  OLB |  ILB |  CB |  S |  K/P |  FA Grades |  FA Rumors 

2014 NFL Free Agency: Star rating is out of five. Age listing as of Sept. 1, 2014. 
    Follow me  @walterfootball for updates. 

1.  Jairus Byrd, S, Bills. Age: 27.  
      Jairus Byrd is arguably the top safety in the NFL. He's awesome in coverage and is good for collecting a handful of turnovers each season. He won't be 28 until October. RESPONSE...here we go again. You can thank BB and his horrid 2009 draft for this. BB took Patrick Chung (who played at Oregon with Byrd) at #34, took CB Darius Butler at #41, and Byrd was taken at #42. I don't think the Pats can afford him, under the cap. But, he is definately the best safety available.

2.  T.J. Ward, S, Browns. Age: 27.  
      Known for knocking out Rob Gronkowski for the year with a torn ACL and MCL, T.J. Ward is a top safety. He thrives in run support and doesn't have any weaknesses. He won't be 28 until December. RESPONSE: Well...he knocked out Gronk. So, according to your logic above, the Pats won't be interested in him.

3.  Donte Whitner, S, 49ers. Age: 29.  
      Donte Whitner gets into trouble for the occasional illegal hit, but he's still an excellent strong safety. He has missed only one game in the past four seasons. RESPONSE: I like Whitner. He could be a good fit.

4.  Chris Clemons, S, Dolphins. Age: 28.  
      Chris Clemons is a very good coverage safety who has missed only three games in the past four seasons. He'll be missed if the Dolphins can't re-sign him. 

5.  Major Wright, S, Bears. Age: 26.  
      Major Wright played very well in 2012, but had an awful 2013 campaign. Perhaps he deserves a mulligan, as he battled neck and hamstring injuries all season. He's only 26, so he should be able to rebound. 

6.  Stevie Brown, S, Giants. Age: 27.  
      Stevie Brown had an excellent 2012 campaign, but missed all of 2013 with a torn ACL. He'd have a higher ranking if he weren't coming off that knee injury. 

7.  Louis Delmas, S, Lions. Age: 27.  
      The Lions had to cut Louis Delmas for financial reasons, but they'll miss him. Delmas played well this past season, appearing in all 16 games for the first time in his career. Delmas is very effective when he's on the field, but durability is the big issue. He missed a combined 13 contests in 2011 and 2012. 

8.  Antoine Bethea, S, Colts. Age: 30.  
      Antoine Bethea has been a pretty average starting safety over the past few seasons, but he'll be hitting 30 in July. 

9.  Brandon Meriweather, S, Redskins. Age: 30.  
      Brandon Meriweather can sometimes be an effective player when he's not serving suspensions for dirty hits. He just turned 30 though. 

10.  Husain Abdullah, S, Chiefs. Age: 29.  
      Husain Abdullah started the final two games of the season, and by watching him, it makes you wonder why Andy Reid didn't play him more earlier. Abdullah picked off Andrew Luck twice in a playoff loss. 

11.  Michael Mitchell, S, Panthers. Age: 27.  
      Everyone laughed at Al Davis when he selected Michael Mitchell in the second round, but Mitchell was pretty decent in coverage this past year. 

12.  Bernard Pollard, S, Titans. Age: 29.  
      The Patriots' worst nightmare, Bernard Pollard continues to be strong in run support, but somewhat of a liability in coverage. 

13.  Ryan Mundy, S, Giants. Age: 29.  
      Ryan Mundy has done well filling in for injured players at the safety position. He's strong against the run, but is somewhat weak in coverage. 

14.  James Ihedigbo, S, Ravens. Age: 30.  
      James Ihedigbo, beat out rookie Matt Elam for one of the safety spots to open the 2013 season, but struggled in coverage to close out the year. He's great in run support. 

15.  Mike Adams, S, Broncos. Age: 33.  
      Mike Adams has been an average starting safety over the years, but his play could decline soon, given that he'll be 33 in March. 

[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Pat the ravens let Pollard walk and watched James get 100 tackles 2 FF's, 3 int's and 11 passes defensed in his absence which is better then pollard did in either season for the ravens and matches pollards best year of his career.

And sorry, I guess he is the 7th highest rated FA strong safety??!!!! I'd rather have James back!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Rodimus77's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

full article at the link

[/QUOTE]

does he mean hard hitting or dirty like he was?

[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't you be concerned about the 7-9 Giants? Well, they have the easiest schedule next season so I suppose not.

[/QUOTE]

I bet they still don't win 10 games...and yes I'm including last season!

[/QUOTE]

DADDIES