Rodney Harrison Preaching That Patriots Are Missing Hard-Hitting Safety

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Re: Rodney Harrison Preaching That Patriots Are Missing Hard-Hitting Safety

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Agree with pcm about Pollard. Yes he can hit hard(and dirty) but he is the first to be cut from teams or given 1 or 2 year deals. He was out performed by ex Patriot James Inhdihgdhiedkdbo and is a FA again for a reason.

RESPONSE: Please cite your reasoning behind this statement about Pollard being outperformed by James I.. 

Plus, fans can be objective all they want but if you were Tom Brady would you want the only human being on the planet that prevented you from playing football for an entire year and threatened your career on your team? Hell no...and Gronk probably wouldn't be very happy either after his drag down tackle from behind where he lifted both feet off the ground and landed on Gronks foot with all his weight. 

RESPONSE: A possibility.

Get the guy who ruined 2 Super Bowls from questionable plays and knowing he is the 12th highest rated free agent safety??? Um, NO THANKS!

RESPONSE: How high were the Patriots' strong safeties ranked? How's that Tavon Wilson pick working for ya? How did that Adrian Wilson signing work out? Are either of those guys ranked ahead of Pollard? Furthermore, this list combines the FS and SS positions. So...you saying that Pollard was ranked 12th among safeties was correct. But, where does herank among strong safeties? Two different positions.

WalterFootball.com - Detailed NFL Mock Drafts, Player Prospect Rankings, and One of the Largest Mock Draft Databases on the Web 
    2014 NFL Free Agents: Safeties

2014 NFL Free Agent Positions: 
    QB |  RB |  FB |  WR |  TE |  OT |  G |  C |  DE |  DT |  OLB |  ILB |  CB |  S |  K/P |  FA Grades |  FA Rumors 

2014 NFL Free Agency: Star rating is out of five. Age listing as of Sept. 1, 2014. 
    Follow me  @walterfootball for updates. 

1.  Jairus Byrd, S, Bills. Age: 27.  
      Jairus Byrd is arguably the top safety in the NFL. He's awesome in coverage and is good for collecting a handful of turnovers each season. He won't be 28 until October. RESPONSE...here we go again. You can thank BB and his horrid 2009 draft for this. BB took Patrick Chung (who played at Oregon with Byrd) at #34, took CB Darius Butler at #41, and Byrd was taken at #42. I don't think the Pats can afford him, under the cap. But, he is definately the best safety available.

2.  T.J. Ward, S, Browns. Age: 27.  
      Known for knocking out Rob Gronkowski for the year with a torn ACL and MCL, T.J. Ward is a top safety. He thrives in run support and doesn't have any weaknesses. He won't be 28 until December. RESPONSE: Well...he knocked out Gronk. So, according to your logic above, the Pats won't be interested in him.

3.  Donte Whitner, S, 49ers. Age: 29.  
      Donte Whitner gets into trouble for the occasional illegal hit, but he's still an excellent strong safety. He has missed only one game in the past four seasons. RESPONSE: I like Whitner. He could be a good fit.

4.  Chris Clemons, S, Dolphins. Age: 28.  
      Chris Clemons is a very good coverage safety who has missed only three games in the past four seasons. He'll be missed if the Dolphins can't re-sign him. 

5.  Major Wright, S, Bears. Age: 26.  
      Major Wright played very well in 2012, but had an awful 2013 campaign. Perhaps he deserves a mulligan, as he battled neck and hamstring injuries all season. He's only 26, so he should be able to rebound. 

6.  Stevie Brown, S, Giants. Age: 27.  
      Stevie Brown had an excellent 2012 campaign, but missed all of 2013 with a torn ACL. He'd have a higher ranking if he weren't coming off that knee injury. 

7.  Louis Delmas, S, Lions. Age: 27.  
      The Lions had to cut Louis Delmas for financial reasons, but they'll miss him. Delmas played well this past season, appearing in all 16 games for the first time in his career. Delmas is very effective when he's on the field, but durability is the big issue. He missed a combined 13 contests in 2011 and 2012. 

8.  Antoine Bethea, S, Colts. Age: 30.  
      Antoine Bethea has been a pretty average starting safety over the past few seasons, but he'll be hitting 30 in July. 

9.  Brandon Meriweather, S, Redskins. Age: 30.  
      Brandon Meriweather can sometimes be an effective player when he's not serving suspensions for dirty hits. He just turned 30 though. 

10.  Husain Abdullah, S, Chiefs. Age: 29.  
      Husain Abdullah started the final two games of the season, and by watching him, it makes you wonder why Andy Reid didn't play him more earlier. Abdullah picked off Andrew Luck twice in a playoff loss. 

11.  Michael Mitchell, S, Panthers. Age: 27.  
      Everyone laughed at Al Davis when he selected Michael Mitchell in the second round, but Mitchell was pretty decent in coverage this past year. 

12.  Bernard Pollard, S, Titans. Age: 29.  
      The Patriots' worst nightmare, Bernard Pollard continues to be strong in run support, but somewhat of a liability in coverage. 

13.  Ryan Mundy, S, Giants. Age: 29.  
      Ryan Mundy has done well filling in for injured players at the safety position. He's strong against the run, but is somewhat weak in coverage. 

14.  James Ihedigbo, S, Ravens. Age: 30.  
      James Ihedigbo, beat out rookie Matt Elam for one of the safety spots to open the 2013 season, but struggled in coverage to close out the year. He's great in run support. 

15.  Mike Adams, S, Broncos. Age: 33.  
      Mike Adams has been an average starting safety over the years, but his play could decline soon, given that he'll be 33 in March. 

If the pats got any one of them three , I might do a handstand. Donte Whitner seems the most realistic but chances of it happening unlikely. I like pollard as well I know he is bad in coverage, but he carries intimidation with him which is a plus. Byrd and ward are pipe dreams.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

I don't recall LT ever being called dirty...he was relentless and hit brutally hard but I can't recall him being called dirty

Agreed. LT get's the "dirty" rap from that hit on Joe Theisman, when he broke Theisman's leg. But, there was nothing "dirty" about that hit. Even Theisman has acknowledged that. Immediately after the hit, Taylor was seen waving frantically for medical assistance for Theisman. 

To say LT was waving the meds on the field is putting it mildly.  This flipped him out.  I watched the game and no way was it a dirty it.  But LT was visably disturbed by what happened.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I want Pollard...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

I don't recall LT ever being called dirty...he was relentless and hit brutally hard but I can't recall him being called dirty

Agreed. LT get's the "dirty" rap from that hit on Joe Theisman, when he broke Theisman's leg. But, there was nothing "dirty" about that hit. Even Theisman has acknowledged that. Immediately after the hit, Taylor was seen waving frantically for medical assistance for Theisman. 

To say LT was waving the meds on the field is putting it mildly.  This flipped him out.  I watched the game and no way was it a dirty it.  But LT was visably disturbed by what happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7acc6qwcmQ

Still pretty gruesome after all these years.

Can't really see Vollmer's injury, but you sure can hear him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFjQw5Edrsc

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:

If one is to accept Rusty for who he is, shouldn't the same be done for Babe - since he's not going to change either?

Change is good.

Yes but mel is a hypocrite and does not practice what he preaches.

Looks like you're right about the hypocrisy thing. He obviously had no response to why he accepts Rusty, but not Babe - yet, he's preaching that everyone in the forum should accept Rusty.  I don't think so.  Pretty weak argument - and certainly fits the definition of being a hypocrite.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Pat the ravens let Pollard walk and watched James get 100 tackles 2 FF's, 3 int's and 11 passes defensed in his absence which is better then pollard did in either season for the ravens and matches pollards best year of his career.

And sorry, I guess he is the 7th highest rated FA strong safety??!!!! I'd rather have James back!

James can't cover. Don't know if Pollard is appreciably better in coverage. But, what I do know is that the Pats need an intimidator at SS...and Pollard fits that bill better than James.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Pat the ravens let Pollard walk and watched James get 100 tackles 2 FF's, 3 int's and 11 passes defensed in his absence which is better then pollard did in either season for the ravens and matches pollards best year of his career.

And sorry, I guess he is the 7th highest rated FA strong safety??!!!! I'd rather have James back!

James can't cover. Don't know if Pollard is appreciably better in coverage. But, what I do know is that the Pats need an intimidator at SS...and Pollard fits that bill better than James.

I understand and agree with the need but would rather almost anybody else then Pollard.

Sections
Shortcuts