Rodney Harrison says "He's scared for the future"

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Re: Rodney Harrison says

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to danemcmenamin's comment:

In response to LittleTimmy31's comment:

Maybe if the players would fill their helmets with the proper amount of air and tighten the chin straps the way they should be, some of these concussions could be avoided. It seems like every game we see on tv, a helmet flies off someone because the head gear is not set up properly.

Just sayin.....

Just take away the helmets, they're the main problem. I have to say I feel bad for Harrison in fact I feel bad for anyone who thinks they may become a vegetable but at the end of the day they did do it to themselves, you think he didn't feel every single hit he laid on? it would be silly to think otherwise, there had to be some level of suspicion that he was damaging himself at the time. I mean if you smash a helmet off your arm or leg it's going to hurt! Anyway I feel the helmets are the problem, i'd like to see if there are still head to head hits without helmets....I some how doubt it. No more helmet to joint hits either. I mean think about it, what are the helmets protecting against? To me it seems like they're there to protect against helmet to helmet hits. Think about that!  

Go read The Big Scrum: How Teddy Roosevelt Saved Football (great book) and you'll realize helmets are necessary.

Literally, in the early 20th and late 19th century, people were DYING on the field during games or after games because they didn't wear helmets. This was pre-forward pass.

It's the speed, strength and size combo that is really the issue. Also, poor tackling techniques over the past 25 years or so are also at fault.

Hey, its in a book so it has to be real.. What was the national mortality rate back then.  

HAHA didn't think of that

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:

This is ridiculous.  Here is my question:   Why aren''t more players from older eras victimized by concussions? WHy is this really only about players who have recently retired? Sure, Alex Karras was affected, but how many others feel the way Karras did? 

It smells sort of like a proactive strike backed by lawsuits to me more than anything else.

I am not making light of this, but could it be these guys made a ton of money, loved the game, and are using this concussion thing as an excuse?

Can't the depression or suicidal thoughts be due to the fact you aren't in control, aren't making millions anymore and maybe are struggling financially?

I have more sympathy for Marc Savard from the Bruins. The guy was absolutely cold cocked on a dirty hit from the blind side, to the point he hasn't played since. His ONLY concussion.  He's depressed, his career is over, he can't skate, can't do physical things, etc, but that was ONE dirty hit.

Why is it that it's about multiple concussions these guys shook off as players and are now looking to almost grasp for excuses as to why they're depressed?

I would suggest having a post career plan, realizing you were lucky enough to play a game at a high level and were lucky enough it paid so well for so long.

Some of these millionaire players need to realize there are millions of people hurting from an economic disaster that has destroyed people's retirements, for example. Or careers.   For the general public to fall for this as some slam dunk excuse for former players' depression is ridiculous.

There is no proof having sustained concussions drives former players to automatic depression and suicide.

You are so far off base a pick off is inevitable!!!

300 pound men are now running sub 4.6 40's 

Steriods and other Legal and Illegal substances over the last few decades has seen an increase in size and speed across the board.

Last but MOST importantly..THE EQUIPMENT!!! Rugby players suffer astronomically lower rates of brain trauma even tho they wear little to no head gear. As someone who played Pop Warner from the late 70 to my one and only tryout in 93, I've seen how the "advancements" in "Protection" have created a sense of invisiblitly in our modern players. We didn't lead with our heads much like rugby players back then because IT HURT!!!

I remember the 1st year we switched from the then tradional removable foam padding in our helmets to the blow up air pads you fit to size by pumping up the pads with a ball pump. Our 1st reaction as kids was to slam our heads into anything we could because it barely hurt at all....(the brain still collides with the inside of the skull which is the cause of the long term damage) 

To compare todays player to even 1990 is absurd and only shows your complete lack of knowledge on the situation. Everyone thought Bernard Pollard was overstating his views but as someone who understands the random piercing pain that comes with more frequency, I agree that something has to drastically change or it will get way worse!!!

Totally agree with this man, people will die on the field again and that's a fact. Just look at what science has done in the past 20 years. The fridge was huge for a DT in 1985 he'd be standard now. Wilfork was bigger than him until he cut down recently, if the players find ways to play efficently at 350 lbs and upwards the sports in big trouble. Concussions will be the last of the leagues worries

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Its basic physics; players who are stronger, heavier and faster will cause damage.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

And many fans whine when they try to install a few rules to protect the players. Duh.

This really ticks me off Babe.  All the armchair "Worriers" out there calling the league p*ssys for trying to making the game safer.

If anyone out there was exposed to a life threating illness simply from doing their job, you can bet your azz they would sue.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

This is ridiculous.  Here is my question:   Why aren''t more players from older eras victimized by concussions? WHy is this really only about players who have recently retired? Sure, Alex Karras was affected, but how many others feel the way Karras did? 

It smells sort of like a proactive strike backed by lawsuits to me more than anything else.

I am not making light of this, but could it be these guys made a ton of money, loved the game, and are using this concussion thing as an excuse?

Can't the depression or suicidal thoughts be due to the fact you aren't in control, aren't making millions anymore and maybe are struggling financially?

I have more sympathy for Marc Savard from the Bruins. The guy was absolutely cold cocked on a dirty hit from the blind side, to the point he hasn't played since. His ONLY concussion.  He's depressed, his career is over, he can't skate, can't do physical things, etc, but that was ONE dirty hit.

Why is it that it's about multiple concussions these guys shook off as players and are now looking to almost grasp for excuses as to why they're depressed?

I would suggest having a post career plan, realizing you were lucky enough to play a game at a high level and were lucky enough it paid so well for so long.

Some of these millionaire players need to realize there are millions of people hurting from an economic disaster that has destroyed people's retirements, for example. Or careers.   For the general public to fall for this as some slam dunk excuse for former players' depression is ridiculous.

There is no proof having sustained concussions drives former players to automatic depression and suicide.

Many many people could try with all their might to be this^^ dumb and fail.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Yeah, there's also no proof that smoking cigarettes leads to automatic lung cancer. There's also no proof that jumping off a 10-story building leads to automatic death. There's also no proof that eating hamburgers for every meal leads to automatic health issues.

I mean HOLY COW -- are you this daft? It's unimaginable that someone would utter the above phrase in any serious discussion. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Yeah, there's also no proof that smoking cigarettes leads to automatic lung cancer. There's also no proof that jumping off a 10-story building leads to automatic death. There's also no proof that eating hamburgers for every meal leads to automatic health issues.

I mean HOLY COW -- are you this daft? It's unimaginable that someone would utter the above phrase in any serious discussion. 

Umm, yeah, actually smoking for extended periods does lead to cancer, as does any intoxicant or chemical for that matter.

Yes.

You're asking me if I am daft because a handful of former players ran out of money and then killed themselves?

LOL

PS I am pretty sure fat people who eat hamburgers for every meal are actually fat. Yup, just checked. They're fat and we have a massive fat person epidemic in this country. But, you enjoy.

Oh boy do we have some uneducated morons here.

The Point --->

Your head

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

No, no, no.   This is about money. That's what it's about. The NFL has prospered so much the last 10 years, that lawsuits galore and very irresponsible millionaires, whom we just learned blew a lot of their money, became depressed because they lost control. Now, they want to be reimbursed for their sacrifices.

Let me know when Marc Savard commits suicide.

It ain't happening because Marc Savard didn't blow all his money and act like a victim as way to cash in.

Just because a concussion does some damage to the brain, doesn't automatically translate to depression and suicide.  

Some of you are morons galore. 

Doesn't matter if it's "all about the money" or not. Living with injuries to the brain can't be a good/fun thing. Must be nice waking up every night with headaches. It must be just swell to become sensitive to light. Depression must be super cool too!! I bet these guys just love having to worry about the simple things like balance, keeping food down, driving a car...walking without feeling as if the whole world is 10 degrees off center.

You ever get a migrane headache? I have, and let me tell you having one once in a blue moon is hell. Having them on a regular basis would drive some people to suicide - and this has nothing to do with depression - this is just pure pain.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

No, no, no.   This is about money. That's what it's about. The NFL has prospered so much the last 10 years, that lawsuits galore and very irresponsible millionaires, whom we just learned blew a lot of their money, became depressed because they lost control. Now, they want to be reimbursed for their sacrifices.

Let me know when Marc Savard commits suicide.

It ain't happening because Marc Savard didn't blow all his money and act like a victim as way to cash in.

Just because a concussion does some damage to the brain, doesn't automatically translate to depression and suicide.  

Some of you are morons galore. 

...And there's no bigger moron than you. 

A team of independent researchers who did not know they were studying Seau's brain all concluded he suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a degenerative disease typically caused by multiple hits to the head.

"What was found in Junior Seau's brain was cellular changes consistent with CTE," said Dr. Russell Lonser, chairman of the Department of Neurological Surgery at Ohio State University, who led the study of Seau's brain while he was at NIH.

Patients with CTE, which can only be diagnosed after death, display symptoms "such as impulsivity, forgetfulness, depression, [and] sometimes suicidal ideation," Lonser said

Were the lack of deceased "old timers" you sited, ever studied post mortem, 50, 40,30,20,10 years ago?  Someone needs to study your brain now.  Why wait?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to PATSthebest's comment:

cigarette smokers get cancer from cigarette smoking? Yet they still do it?

That straw man suffers from the fact that nobody is enticing persons to smoke by offering them millions to do it.

They are enticing them by chemical highs. People just don't smoke for no reason it's because of a chemical high they enjoy. Same as players don't beat their bodies to a pulp because they enjoy it they do it because they enjoy the money that comes with it.

And how many billions have tobacco companies paid in damages?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Rodney was the most fined player in NFL history for illegal hits. The hits were illegal because they were harmful to a players health. (Including his own) The fines never stopped Rodney from head hunting, and just this week Rodney was pretty vocal about the Pats needing a "head hunter" type safety to improve the defense. 

Just this week Ed ReEd complains about the fines he has incurred for illegal hits. Suggs, Harrison and many, many more have been very public in their criticism of Goodall in this regard.

How is it not hard to feel no sympathy for a guy like Rodney who blatantly disregarded the rules for protection, and was critical of those trying to impose the rules for safety? These players can try to blame the NFL, but where is the players uproar over these illegal hits? The players need to look in the mirror. If they want a safer league, they need to insure to make it safer. Brady, Bree's, Peyton, AP, Polomalo, Rodgers etc. Why aren't these guys standing up and demanding better safety measures, stricter ped/hgh testing and stricter penalties for infractions? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

If Rodney is not feeling the affects now, then he probably won't ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PATSthebest's comment:

cigarette smokers get cancer from cigarette smoking? Yet they still do it?

That straw man suffers from the fact that nobody is enticing persons to smoke by offering them millions to do it.

They are enticing them by chemical highs. People just don't smoke for no reason it's because of a chemical high they enjoy. Same as players don't beat their bodies to a pulp because they enjoy it they do it because they enjoy the money that comes with it.

And how many billions have tobacco companies paid in damages?

What does that have to do with smokers smoking and sympathy? The analogy was built on why people can't feel sympathy towards people who knowingly cause damage to themselves for some form of happiness (whether chemical or monetary) then cry foul after the fact. I have no sympathy for those who knows there are great risks involved, get their joy no matter what form it is, then outcry they are suffering because they took the risk to begin with.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Sometimes saying other people are responsible for their own actions is a convenient way to avoid taking any responsibility yourself.  One of the most profound ethical statements ever made was this in Dostoevsky's Brothers Karamazov: 

For know, dear ones, that every one of us is undoubtedly responsible for all

men—and everything on earth, not merely through the general

sinfulness of creation, but each one personally for all mankind and

every individual man. This knowledge is the crown of life for the

monk and for every man.

It takes a brave soul indeed to take responsibility personally for all mankind and every individual man.  Few of us can live up to that (me the least).  But it's something to think about everytime you're tempted to say "I'm not responsible . . ." 

So you're saying I caused Juniors death? Did you cause drunk drivers to drive into poles because you aren't more vocal? You should be arrested for taking responsibility since appearently you have the ability to prevent it. There are certain things in life you can and can't control. I don't have the resources nor ability to change the NFL culture and you have seen me many times on here denounce head hits from our own players, so don't give me that BS. Not a single fan is forcing them to hit people in the head. Not a single fan can force them to cause injury to another player. Not a single fan can do anything about it either because we can't get to them and tell them to stop. Where your statement holds water is looking at the stars in the league. Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers those are players that can affect culture change and stand up to take responsibility but all you are doing is trying to shift the blame onto people who have no control over it to begin with. It's the, it's all our faults this happened, mentallity when it isn't. These are grown men not children. They make up their own minds on what is right and what is wrong. If they chose what is wrong that's on them not on me. But, if you want to enact change and feel you are personally responsible for it then what you personally can do is stop watching the games, buying merchandise, and protesting the hits to your hearts content otherwise you are part of the problem according to your own statement

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Sometimes saying other people are responsible for their own actions is a convenient way to avoid taking any responsibility yourself.  One of the most profound ethical statements ever made was this in Dostoevsky's Brothers Karamazov: 

monk and for every man.

It takes a brave soul indeed to take responsibility personally for all mankind and every individual man.  Few of us can live up to that (me the least).  But it's something to think about everytime you're tempted to say "I'm not responsible . . ." 

So you're saying I caused Juniors death? Did you cause drunk drivers to drive into poles because you aren't more vocal? You should be arrested for taking responsibility since appearently you have the ability to prevent it. There are certain things in life you can and can't control. I don't have the resources nor ability to change the NFL culture and you have seen me many times on here denounce head hits from our own players, so don't give me that BS. Not a single fan is forcing them to hit people in the head. Not a single fan can force them to cause injury to another player. Not a single fan can do anything about it either because we can't get to them and tell them to stop. Where your statement holds water is looking at the stars in the league. Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers those are players that can affect culture change and stand up to take responsibility but all you are doing is trying to shift the blame onto people who have no control over it to begin with. It's the, it's all our faults this happened, mentallity when it isn't. These are grown men not children. They make up their own minds on what is right and what is wrong. If they chose what is wrong that's on them not on me. But, if you want to enact change and feel you are personally responsible for it then what you personally can do is stop watching the games, buying merchandise, and protesting the hits to your hearts content otherwise you are part of the problem according to your own statemente and therefore I don 

If you want to hold yourself to the highest ethical standard you accept responsibility for all evil and try to the best of your ability to make it better. Sure no one can solve all the world's problems or act in a perfect way. We're all limited and imperfect as human beings. But the one thing you can do is never say, "Well I'm not responsible, someone else is, and therefore I don't need to care or try." When you dismiss the suffering of any one, you are doing that, and in my opinion acting in an ethically weak and cowardly way.  

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

monk and for every man.

So you're saying I caused Juniors death? Did you cause drunk drivers to drive into poles because you aren't more vocal? You should be arrested for taking responsibility since appearently you have the ability to prevent it. There are certain things in life you can and can't control. I don't have the resources nor ability to change the NFL culture and you have seen me many times on here denounce head hits from our own players, so don't give me that BS. Not a single fan is forcing them to hit people in the head. Not a single fan can force them to cause injury to another player. Not a single fan can do anything about it either because we can't get to them and tell them to stop. Where your statement holds water is looking at the stars in the league. Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers those are players that can affect culture change and stand up to take responsibility but all you are doing is trying to shift the blame onto people who have no control over it to begin with. It's the, it's all our faults this happened, mentallity when it isn't. These are grown men not children. They make up their own minds on what is right and what is wrong. If they chose what is wrong that's on them not on me. But, if you want to enact change and feel you are personally responsible for it then what you personally can do is stop watching the games, buying merchandise, and protesting the hits to your hearts content otherwise you are part of the problem according to your own statemente and therefore I don 

If you want to hold yourself to the highest ethical standard you accept responsibility for all evil and try to the best of your ability to make it better. Sure no one can solve all the world's problems or act in a perfect way. We're all limited and imperfect as human beings. But the one thing you can do is never say, "Well I'm not responsible, someone else is, and therefore I don't need to care or try." When you dismiss the suffering of any one, you are doing that, and in my opinion acting in an ethically weak and cowardly way.  

Then you're taking the cowards way out. I haven't seen you trying to stop the killing in the middle east, or stopping drunk drivers, or stopping a whole host of others. You also waste time here instaed of preventing evil around the world. It's not cowardly to understand your limitation and work within those limitations to make the world better. I know I can't change the culture of the NFL, it's to big for one person to do. I also understand bring attention to it would be to great of a task for me to do. But, I'm not going to join that culture either and on this forum have denounced it. I will not feel sympathy for those who give into that culture knowing the risks either and I lay blame on them for giving into that culture because ultimately it's their decision and their game. Their voices can enact change not mine. Blaming them for taking the money, complaining when they get fined, and then complaining the league isn't doing enough is on them not any of us. Blaming cultures is cowardice to the highest degree. Enact change from within if you have a voice within that culture. But, if you don't have a voice that can be heard it's better not to be part of the culture to begin with. Either way it's still personal responsibility and blaming a culture because you didn't take responsibility for yourself is weak. Don't forget the strong overcome challenges the weak blame others for their failures

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

It is about money in some sense because, if the NFL loses its suit, health insurance premiums will skyrocket for professional athletes in at risk sports.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

The whole concussion thing first came to light with Al Toon of the Jets in the 80s...his case was so well publicized for players like Harrison to pretend he know nothing of it is a joke...