Rodney Harrison's Brady comment tonite

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from djkg. Show djkg's posts

Re: Rodney Harrison's Brady comment tonite

He was kidding

From Peter King's MMQB:

" I think NBC's Rodney Harrison created quite a stir Sunday night, saying Tom Brady should take his skirt off and put some pants on. In other words, Brady should man up and, I guess, not take these piddling calls the refs are giving to him. As Sunday turned into Monday, Harrison was getting mondo crappola for this statement ... and just after midnight, he called my cell and said, "Can you believe this? I WAS JOKING! I had a smile on my face! I texted Tom and told him I was going to have fun with this, and he had no problem with it at all. He thought it was funny.''

Well, no one thought he was joking. I told Harrison that when the NBC PR staff, which puts out quotes from our Sunday night show each week, e-mailed his comments, obviously whoever read those comments was going to think he was ripping Brady for being a wuss. "I was joking!!!'' he said. OK. Consider your point made to thousands."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Great football defenses are like great fighters. They have talent but they get the winning edge by playing dirty when necessary ( Holyfield, Duran etc ).
    And as for leaving television to the professional broadcasters...that's why I use the mute button.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from flip781. Show flip781's posts

In Response to Rodney Harrison's Brady comment tonite:
    [QUOTE]"Take off the dress and put on the slacks?"  How about, "Retire with dignity and leave television to the professional broadcasters." That was a totally uncalled for comment about a teammate that won you a Super Bowl ring, Rodney.  Brady didn't make the call the refs did.
    Posted by dwtime[/QUOTE]  that's the reason you never went to the pro-bowl Rodney because the whole league knows you and your dirty sneaky tactics !!!   Didn't get too many post-season  or Super Bowl checks till you played on the same team with him though !! You always did have enough mouth for 4 sets of head !! Glad to see my old friend Belenuss is right on top of it too !!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

HE WAS TEASING!!!!!

Man, some of you need to relax!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

I think it's hilarious.I'm sure they made comments to each-other all the time in the locker room like this.They practiced against each-other for years and probably talked smack whenever either made a play against the other.All in jest.Guys do this.I'm sure they've already talked today and had a good laugh about it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I think it was coming from a defensive player who doesn't agree with the rule. We all know how Rodney played and we loved him playing for us. I also think he's trying to get some separation from the Pats and did it poorly. He could have said the same thing differently and not come off sounding like a former player who shouldn't be broadcasting.
    I would rather have the rule and have the best QB's out there every week than see them going out with knee injuries. 

The call was good, but the refs made it not TB. I've seen Ray-Ray lobbying to the refs quite a bit in his career so I don 't even want to hear it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

In Response to Re: Rodney Harrison's Brady comment tonite:
    [QUOTE]Rodney's comments were mis-placed and they should have been directed at the league and the officials for having such a rule.  I do not think Brady believes he is above getting hit.  He stood quite well in the pocket and took some licks today. As for the rule, I have seen it applied in many games this season, not just in Pats' games.  So why is the media making it seem like it is only called in Pats games?
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

General comment to all posters.....sure it's it appears to be part of the wussification....but how would we have felt if he had blown out his right knee?  Whenever their is a change in a rule and they want it to mean business,,,,the transistion is difficult.  I'd rather enforce it than losse the premier QB's of the league. 

Regarding Rodney....he is creating his style....it's not attacking Brady ..just his opinion of the rule  (as a former defensive player) directed at the league. 

My fear is that the league will intervene and modify the rule (i.e issue directives to the ref's on what constitutes a penallty.)  I'd rather have them call it the same way all year....then reevaluate if it's too harsh.  I don't want games decided by the officiating crew assigned to the game....(i.e.  liberal crews versus strict crews)  I like the game now where officals are pretty much not the show.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Definitely a cheap shot from a pundit.  It ties into all this thinkbeforeyoupink.org stuff on the field. 

Somewhere, the Baltimore coach asked, "Who takes the dive at Brady's knee?" and everybody's hand went up.  The idea was to find out if Brady would become discombobulated if someone took a dive at his knee.  Bmore took their shot, and it happened that the knee play backfired for Bmore.  So did the head shot play, a nice hand-at-the-eyes borderline play that maybe the refs wouldn't call if it was light enough, but it still tested the boundaries of what a team could effectively do to the opposing QB.

All this happened soon after QB Flacco was used as a blunt instrument on left tackle Gaither's head, who was then too fragile to put on the usual truck, so they went with a backboard to wheeled guerney to ambulance and straight to Mass General (his extremities are all moving).  Maybe the Bmore coach and players thought the ref owed them one makeup season-ending injury.

Speaking of makeup calls, the Bmore coach screamed at the officials all afternoon (and Ray Lewis for five minutes after the game too) as a makeup for himself getting whistled for at least one no-no word at a critical juncture.  It's rare that the team's coach kills his team's chances off like that.  Maybe the coach was an idiot in the first place.  Also, credit a stupid timeout to the coach just before the half ended.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PurpleKoolaid. Show PurpleKoolaid's posts

Why can't you delousional fans see it for what it is? QBs are pampered in this league, not just Brady, all of them, but Brady is pampered the most. They name NFL rules after him. How can you dispute that? Why do you blast the guy when he tells the truth? Stop looking at it with your fan glasses on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Tiki did the same thing when he ripped Eli week one the year he retired.  Gotta prove you're not going to be a homer, I s'pose.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

[QUOTE]Why can't you delousional fans see it for what it is? QBs are pampered in this league, not just Brady, all of them, but Brady is pampered the most. They name NFL rules after him. How can you dispute that? Why do you blast the guy when he tells the truth? Stop looking at it with your fan glasses on.
    Posted by PurpleKoolaid[/QUOTE]
    Your team lost.Nothing is going to change that.If you can't deal with it then talk to a therapist.BTW shouldn't you be harassing Cincinatti about all the criminals on their team.They're your next opponent.Sorry my bad,not much of an arguement since you got a murderer on your team.It's kinda sad that Ray can get away with murder by writing a couple of million dollar checks to the families but Plax get's 2 years for shooting himself in the azz.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsordie. Show patsordie's posts

Cool it guys, Rodney was just joking altho he was trying to make a point against the league. Here is that part of PK's MMQB column"

" I think NBC's Rodney Harrison created quite a stir Sunday night, saying Tom Brady should take his skirt off and put some pants on. In other words, Brady should man up and, I guess, not take these piddling calls the refs are giving to him. As Sunday turned into Monday, Harrison was getting mondo crappola for this statement ... and just after midnight, he called my cell and said, "Can you believe this? I WAS JOKING! I had a smile on my face! I texted Tom and told him I was going to have fun with this, and he had no problem with it at all. He thought it was funny.''

Well, no one thought he was joking. I told Harrison that when the NBC PR staff, which puts out quotes from our Sunday night show each week, e-mailed his comments, obviously whoever read those comments was going to think he was ripping Brady for being a wuss. "I was joking!!!'' he said. OK. Consider your point made to thousands."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nykrb. Show nykrb's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnmGSMccDuU

There is NO WAY you can watch this clip... and NOT see that Suggs was TRYING to take Brady out at the knees, and TRYING to make it look like an accident while doing so.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

[QUOTE]Cool it guys, Rodney was just joking altho he was trying to make a point against the league. Here is that part of PK's MMQB column" " I think NBC's Rodney Harrison created quite a stir Sunday night, saying Tom Brady should take his skirt off and put some pants on. In other words, Brady should man up and, I guess, not take these piddling calls the refs are giving to him. As Sunday turned into Monday, Harrison was getting mondo crappola for this statement ... and just after midnight, he called my cell and said, "Can you believe this? I WAS JOKING! I had a smile on my face! I texted Tom and told him I was going to have fun with this, and he had no problem with it at all. He thought it was funny.'' Well, no one thought he was joking. I told Harrison that when the NBC PR staff, which puts out quotes from our Sunday night show each week, e-mailed his comments, obviously whoever read those comments was going to think he was ripping Brady for being a wuss. "I was joking!!!'' he said. OK. Consider your point made to thousands."    
    Posted by patsordie[/QUOTE]   I was watching it live when he said it and he could barely keep from laughing.It was obvious to anyone who watched it that he wasn't bashing Brady but having some fun with a legitimate subject at his teammate's/friend's expense in a harmless manner.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PurpleKoolaid. Show PurpleKoolaid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rodney Harrison's Brady comment tonite :    I was watching it live when he said it and he could barely keep from laughing.It was obvious to anyone who watched it that he wasn't bashing Brady but having some fun with a legitimate subject at his teammate's/friend's expense in a harmless manner.
    Posted by cowtherabbit-[/QUOTE]

What Rodney Harrison said is true and he was being serious. Do you all think that Dungy who agreed with him was trying to be funny as well?

Look. I think TB is a great quarterback and NE is a great team. They don't need help from the refs. Does Brady get special treatment? Yes. Is he the only one? No, Peyton Manning gets it too? It is undisputed that they have come up with new NFL rules after Brady gets hurt. That ticks off a lot of non-pats fans off. Obviously former coaches like Dungy and former players like Harrison have noticed it and are voicing their opinion, and most people outside of NE agree with them. Does this take away from the fact that NE is a good football team and deserved to win? No. If I were Ngata or Suggs, if you know that you're going to get called for a slap on the helmet, go ahead and body-slam the QB and take the QB out if you know that you're going to be called on it. You better believe it that a lot of teams down the road who are out of the playoff picture, are going to take some shots at your QB in order to put him out. No NFL rule is going to protect him from those who don't care about taking a 15 yarder.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WarmUpTheBeanpot. Show WarmUpTheBeanpot's posts

Peter King reports that Rodney Harrison TEXTED Tom Brady about what he was going to say.

Everyone getting all up in arms about the comment and the penalties need to get over it. The first Baltimore "roughing the passer" penalty was for blow to the head, good call. The second was questionable. The Patriots also were called for "roughing the passer", which was a good call, and several times BOTH quarterbacks received blows to the head that did not get flagged. These things even out.

Without the Matt Light whiff resulting in the strip sack touchdown, this was not even a close game in the fourth quarter. Then again, if Mr Clayton could remember how to catch the ball, the Ravens might have won the game on that last drive.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PurpleKoolaid. Show PurpleKoolaid's posts

[QUOTE]Peter King reports that Rodney Harrison TEXTED Tom Brady about what he was going to say. Everyone getting all up in arms about the comment and the penalties need to get over it. The first Baltimore "roughing the passer" penalty was for blow to the head, good call. The second was questionable. The Patriots also were called for "roughing the passer", which was a good call, and several times BOTH quarterbacks received blows to the head that did not get flagged. These things even out. Without the Matt Light whiff resulting in the strip sack touchdown, this was not even a close game in the fourth quarter. Then again, if Mr Clayton could remember how to catch the ball, the Ravens might have won the game on that last drive.
    Posted by WarmUpTheBeanpot[/QUOTE]

This is not about the game at all. Whether you believe Rodney was kidding, were his words true yes or no? As Dungy said it is not a penalty unless you forecefully hit the quarterback. Which one of the two penalties called on Ngata or Suggs was forcefull? And if you want to go into details about zebra play calling: the botched trick play attempt, the receiver did not make the first down, which if the Ravens decline the penalty they get the ball back, drive down the field and have a chance to kick the field goal to tie the game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Any Baltimore fan who didn't see the need for Sugg to be chastised is a hypocrite. I would like to know what it would feel like if the Ravens lose Joe Flacco to some 260 pound guy lunging at his knee. I know what it feels like, it's not good. What would you guys say if you saw James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley go for Flacco's knees? 

Don't give me that "He barely mad contact" BS, Brady moved his knee with an inch to go before Suggs' helmet made contact. Brady saved himself. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rodney Harrison's Brady comment tonite : This is not about the game at all. Whether you believe Rodney was kidding, were his words true yes or no? As Dungy said it is not a penalty unless you forecefully hit the quarterback. Which one of the two penalties called on Ngata or Suggs was forcefull? And if you want to go into details about zebra play calling: the botched trick play attempt, the receiver did not make the first down, which if the Ravens decline the penalty they get the ball back, drive down the field and have a chance to kick the field goal to tie the game.

Hey, Clown

How are you suppose to know if someone does something with intent? Does the NFL have mind readers employed as referees? Pollard's hit was an accident and look how that turned out. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsordie. Show patsordie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rodney Harrison's Brady comment tonite : What Rodney Harrison said is true and he was being serious. Do you all think that Dungy who agreed with him was trying to be funny as well? Look. I think TB is a great quarterback and NE is a great team. They don't need help from the refs. Does Brady get special treatment? Yes. Is he the only one? No, Peyton Manning gets it too? It is undisputed that they have come up with new NFL rules after Brady gets hurt. That ticks off a lot of non-pats fans off. Obviously former coaches like Dungy and former players like Harrison have noticed it and are voicing their opinion, and most people outside of NE agree with them. Does this take away from the fact that NE is a good football team and deserved to win? No. If I were Ngata or Suggs, if you know that you're going to get called for a slap on the helmet, go ahead and body-slam the QB and take the QB out if you know that you're going to be called on it. You better believe it that a lot of teams down the road who are out of the playoff picture, are going to take some shots at your QB in order to put him out. No NFL rule is going to protect him from those who don't care about taking a 15 yarder.

You really think that somebody can hit a QB just for spite and take him out and all he is gonna get is a 15 yard penalty? What, did you start watching football just yesterday? Wake up man! Let's see if you keep talking this way if at some point Flacco gets hit in his knees and has to sit out a season to recover.

So Dungy agrees with Rodney on this? How about when they brought in the no-contact with receivers after 5-yards rule just because Pollian went mad on seeing how the Pats defense man-handled Peyton and his receivers? Why didnt Dungy ask Peyton and his receivers to take off their skrits and put on their pants?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WarmUpTheBeanpot. Show WarmUpTheBeanpot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rodney Harrison's Brady comment tonite : This is not about the game at all. Whether you believe Rodney was kidding, were his words true yes or no? As Dungy said it is not a penalty unless you forecefully hit the quarterback. Which one of the two penalties called on Ngata or Suggs was forcefull? And if you want to go into details about zebra play calling: the botched trick play attempt, the receiver did not make the first down, which if the Ravens decline the penalty they get the ball back, drive down the field and have a chance to kick the field goal to tie the game.
    The refereee called three "roughing the passer/unnecesarry roughness" penalties that involved the quarterbacks. I also specifically recall Wright #99 for the Patriots getting AWAY with a blow to the head of Flacco. The first Raven's penalty was for a blow to Brady's head. This is clear and easy to call. Frankly, the officials missed the same call against Wright, but that does not make Baltimore's first penalty disappear. Hit the quarterback's helmet and you get probably will get flagged. Also, the Patriots threw Flacco to the ground and got penalized.

I cannot speak for the referees, nor do I need to. They called what they thought happened. While the second "forceful" interpretation is debatable, the first one is not. Pass russer hit Brady's facemask, his helmet snapped back. Penatly. Plain and simple.

The fact is BOTH teams were quite aggressive coming after each other's quarterbacks. There were three flags thrown for it, two against Baltimore and one against New England. Another one or two could have been thrown against each team.

As for the rest of your referee interpretations, I did not post about that and I really do not care to conduct a post-mortem on them. What official made the Ravens fumble the opening kickoff or drop the last pass of the game. What official made the Patriots come up with only 3 points on the opening drive or knocked Matt Light to the ground on the strip-sack. It is football with lots of plays and opportunities. If you feel the need to whine about it, enjoy. YOUR TEAM IS LEADING ITS DIVISION! It played a good road game, despite being down 10 points in the third quarter. Your team had a chance to WIN THE GAME. This is all real fans care about, not whether this play or that play was called wrong. Want to avoid all the close games? Get a big lead and hold onto it all game long. Otherwise, enjoy the ebb and flow of football.

The point I was making is simply Rodney Harrison TEXTED Tom Brady about his "skirt" comment in advance. Brady understands the frustration of the Ravens, even though he came back from major knee surgery from a hit that was not even penalized. The rest is pure football

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

[QUOTE]He's just playing the other side.  He can't always be a Patriot kiss @ss.
    Posted by Kmax[/QUOTE]

I agree 

I also think that harrison is the man for speaking up about  all of these rules. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rodney Harrison's Brady comment tonite : What Rodney Harrison said is true and he was being serious. Do you all think that Dungy who agreed with him was trying to be funny as well? Look. I think TB is a great quarterback and NE is a great team. They don't need help from the refs. Does Brady get special treatment? Yes. Is he the only one? No, Peyton Manning gets it too? It is undisputed that they have come up with new NFL rules after Brady gets hurt. That ticks off a lot of non-pats fans off. Obviously former coaches like Dungy and former players like Harrison have noticed it and are voicing their opinion, and most people outside of NE agree with them. Does this take away from the fact that NE is a good football team and deserved to win? No. If I were Ngata or Suggs, if you know that you're going to get called for a slap on the helmet, go ahead and body-slam the QB and take the QB out if you know that you're going to be called on it. You better believe it that a lot of teams down the road who are out of the playoff picture, are going to take some shots at your QB in order to put him out. No NFL rule is going to protect him from those who don't care about taking a 15 yarder.
    Posted by PurpleKoolaid[/QUOTE]We did get called for a slap on the helmet.Wright was called when his hand slipped off Flacco's shoulder and brushed his helmet.We also got called twice in the Buffalo game for questionable roughing calls.Balt is not the only team dealing with this.The NFL is trying to protect their money makers.Good QB's sell tickets,jerseys,commercials ect. by being on the field, not in a hospital bed.I might not agree with it but it does make good business sense and has been fairly applied.Suggs went low and made contact with Brady's legs,Wright went for the pass block and made contact with Flacco's head,both are against the rules and were properly called according to those rules.If you have a complaint send it to Goodell,but don't blame the loss on enforcement of a rule you don't like.BTW, how the hell is this rule helping NE out when they made it AFTER we already lost Brady for a year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I definitely see both sides. History was the QB was just another player on the field and open game but injuries that ultimately take marquis players out for a season will constantly demand rules changes to protect them. I don't know if Suggs intended to go low or he was blocked low and continued on but it doesn't matter. The rule is you can't lead below the waist and that's it like it or not.
    I don't have enough time to look this up but I'd like to see a comparison of the size of an average lineman/linebacker/safety now versus 15-20 years ago. I'd also like to see what they do the 40 in? Now someone will say the O has the same advantage of size and speed but it doesn't work that way. These guys are blitzing and out there to get to this guy.
    We've seen a similar run with wide outs and got used to it and we'll get used to this one as well. It's good for the game and if can't see that you're living in the past.

It was a great game and we got a W without even playing close to potential. I look for much better things to come. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatever02135. Show whatever02135's posts

Rodney is a defenseman first, the two are friends, and Rodney had to show his new boss he wasn't biased [quite]. only downside is Tom has to field the pundit questions on wed now

Sections
Shortcuts