Rolando McClain: Patriots are 'finesse'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Rolando McClain: Patriots are 'finesse'

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4704324/mcclain-raiders-eye-finesse-pats

I actually think he's right. I see the Patriots get pushed around instead of doing the pushing. I've seen it for a few years now since Bruschi and Harrison departed. Jets, Ravens, Steelers, Packers, Bucs, even these Raiders are not playing that way. I know this is a byproduct of the character issue that Kraft and Belichick value so highly. You can't really draft too many players that are 'nasty', 'filthy', and 'explosive' without sacrificing something on the character front. Almost all of the players you see that are making those explosive plays on both sides of the ball had character issues but teams still drafted them hoping to exploit their talents while also keeping the player in line. It's a risk for every team and every player but the Patriots seem to really run from the character-issue guys.

At any rate, there's some bulletin board material already.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Rolando McClain: Patriots are 'finesse'

Yeah but the word is an oxymoron in the game of football. The Lakers are a finesse backetball team, but the Celtics are grimmy... kinda as it's still basketball.

Either way that will be as you said, Bulletin Board material.  That's a godsend in my book as well.  After a bad loss a put down like that is what the Pats need to turn their soft D around, and start pounding the ball with Ridley and BJGE.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Rolando McClain: Patriots are 'finesse':
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rolando McClain: Patriots are 'finesse' : Ain't happening Charlie Brown.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

Why draft Ridley so high then?  I'm not saying they get away from their bread and butter, but rather start using some clock killing qualities to aid their D and keep the ball out the other offenses hands.. no?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chaucer. Show chaucer's posts

Yeah, Mankins looked like a finesse guy over by the Buffalo bench on Sunday.  Maybe McClain would like a double helping of Mankins this week.  I don't think Wilfork or Haynesworth or Mayo look like finesse players to me. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Well, they're definitely not a smashmouth team, not in the least bit and I seriously doubt that's going to change in Oakland.

Like it or not, our NE Pats are the new Colts of the NFL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, Mankins looked like a finesse guy over by the Buffalo bench on Sunday.  Maybe McClain would like a double helping of Mankins this week.  I don't think Wilfork or Haynesworth or Mayo look like finesse players to me. 
    Posted by chaucer[/QUOTE]

I think he refers to the style of play versus the physicality of the players themselves.  You know.. the bend but don't break style.... let the game come to them versus getting after it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rolando McClain: Patriots are 'finesse' : Why draft Ridley so high then?  I'm not saying they get away from their bread and butter, but rather start using some clock killing qualities to aid their D and keep the ball out the other offenses hands.. no?
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

I've said this on another post.  Can't understand drafting not one but two running backs and not even trying to establish a running game even when up by 21 points.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Some good points. I get it.

I understand what ALL these guys do to each other and their bodies is not 'finesse' by any means. It's a style of play issue as well.

There just aren't any 'enforcers' the past few seasons. Teams come into our house and I don't think they fear anyone besides maybe Brady but even then, they know that if you get to him and rattle him, he'll have that 'lost' look in his eyes, which is what I saw against the Giants, Ravens, and Jets. I guess that's any QB and most teams don't have the personnel to rush four and shutdown all the options we have. Chung could be a Rodney-Lite but that's if the kid can stay healthy.

I also think opposing teams no longer fear Belichick. The 'Patriot mystique' as they call it seems to be diminishing a bit and rightfully so. The younger guys weren't in the league when we had our dynasty so they don't know any better. Some of the newer coaches like the Ryan brothers could care less anyway because they'll tell their guys that they're going to bully the Patriots around. And then they go and do it to us...in our own house.

Belichick has these guys playing like the intellects and we all know those people in reality: punch them in the mouth and their intelligence means nothing now. I don't know. That's just how I see it and I'm not a whiner or pink hat-er by any means.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, Mankins looked like a finesse guy over by the Buffalo bench on Sunday.  Maybe McClain would like a double helping of Mankins this week.  I don't think Wilfork or Haynesworth or Mayo look like finesse players to me. 
    Posted by chaucer[/QUOTE]

I hope we don't see a double helping of more stupid penalties by Mankins this week either.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]Some good points. I get it. I understand what ALL these guys do to each other and their bodies is not 'finesse' by any means. It's a style of play issue as well. There just aren't any 'enforcers' the past few seasons. Teams come into our house and I don't think they fear anyone besides maybe Brady but even then, they know that if you get to him and rattle him, he'll have that 'lost' look in his eyes, which is what I saw against the Giants, Ravens, and Jets. I guess that's any QB and most teams don't have the personnel to rush four and shutdown all the options we have. Belichick has these guys playing like the intellects and we all know those people in reality: punch them in the mouth and their intelligence means nothing now. I don't know. That's just how I see it and I'm not a whiner or pink hat-er by any means.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, remember those commercials with Corey Dillon saying, "Uh,uh, not in our house." 
    Ah, the good ol' days.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Yes, yes, about Mayo. I tell you what. I've never been more excited by a preseason play than what I saw Mayo do against the Bucs. I was thinking, "Yes! Finally, Mayo is going to be unleashed instead of all the 'read and react' crap"

So far, nothing. Still, it's 3 weeks in and I do know Belichick peels back the layers as the season progresses. Conditioning for the d-lineman is an issue + the secondary still trying to build some cohesiveness.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Rolando McClain: Patriots are 'finesse':
    [QUOTE]http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4704324/mcclain-raiders-eye-finesse-pats I actually think he's right. I see the Patriots get pushed around instead of doing the pushing. I've seen it for a few years now since Bruschi and Harrison departed. Jets, Ravens, Steelers, Packers, Bucs, even these Raiders are not playing that way. I know this is a byproduct of the character issue that Kraft and Belichick value so highly. You can't really draft too many players that are 'nasty', 'filthy', and 'explosive' without sacrificing something on the character front. Almost all of the players you see that are making those explosive plays on both sides of the ball had character issues but teams still drafted them hoping to exploit their talents while also keeping the player in line. It's a risk for every team and every player but the Patriots seem to really run from the character-issue guys. At any rate, there's some bulletin board material already.

dayum, AP.....you're on a rampage.  Finesse? Yep, that about sums us up. Isn't that exactly what we called the Colts not that long ago?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

teams like the Jet's, Steelers, and Ravens D get the reputation of being smashmouth ballers.  Not the Patriots.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Rolando McClain: Patriots are 'finesse' : dayum, AP.....you're on a rampage.  Finesse? Yep, that about sums us up. Isn't that exactly what we called the Colts not that long ago?
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY! :)

I used to ridicule the Colts for this very thing and now we've become them. Granted, we've built a better team around Brady with more interchangeable parts. I also know that players like Bruschi and Harrison don't grow on trees. I get that but THE ATTITUDE, THE MENTALITY should be part of your culture, which should be spread by the current veterans to the new guys.

We've also had a ton of rule changes and philosophy changes since the Pats got done abusing the Colts in the playoffs in the early 2000's. Still, it irks the heck otu of me.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

In Response to Rolando McClain: Patriots are 'finesse':
    [QUOTE]http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4704324/mcclain-raiders-eye-finesse-pats I actually think he's right. I see the Patriots get pushed around instead of doing the pushing. I've seen it for a few years now since Bruschi and Harrison departed. Jets, Ravens, Steelers, Packers, Bucs, even these Raiders are not playing that way. I know this is a byproduct of the character issue that Kraft and Belichick value so highly. You can't really draft too many players that are 'nasty', 'filthy', and 'explosive' without sacrificing something on the character front. Almost all of the players you see that are making those explosive plays on both sides of the ball had character issues but teams still drafted them hoping to exploit their talents while also keeping the player in line. It's a risk for every team and every player but the Patriots seem to really run from the character-issue guys. At any rate, there's some bulletin board material already.

Problem is we have still gotten those guys....prime example Haynesworth..Spikes...we had #31 who was a dog and we are still in trouble.

I dont tthink you have to have 11 Jerome Harrisons but it would help to let your young defense loose and make plays.  Nobody wants to think too much and worry about 5 assignments...make it simple..YOU 6 guys blitz, you 5 guys cover...

I think the system is too demanding for young players ,IMO and thats why vets like Bru, Willie, Rodney etc, got it done cuz they had saw it all. I mean Rodney was new here in 03, but the guy had 10 years under his belt when he came here and had made  pro bowls and all that, in contrast we are looking at our 3 year 22 y/o safett Chung to be a leader this year...just cant expect much from him...although I love him he hasnt seen enough yet and you HAVE to have good safety play for this defense to play well..still smh about Sanders and Page

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from John413. Show John413's posts

Is "finesse" the French word for "crap"?  Because if so, I agree that we have a "finesse" defense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Oh and the trash-talking thing too. It'd be nice to have a player come out once in a while and stir the pot. You know what it does to the young guys who DO tweet, Facebook, and watch ESPN? It gets them fired up. It gets them angry at something/someone. Part of the problem against the Jets is that I think the team came out flat, without energy, without a bounce in their step. I said it after we clinched the bye week: I'd rather this YOUNG team just keep the momentum going and play every Sunday until the Super Bowl. A week off could do more harm.

I thought Chad Ocho would help keep the guys loose and throw in some trash-talking as well but with this guy, we have a whole other set of problems right now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rolando McClain: Patriots are 'finesse' : Why draft Ridley so high then?  I'm not saying they get away from their bread and butter, but rather start using some clock killing qualities to aid their D and keep the ball out the other offenses hands.. no?
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

The change to Ridley will happen soon, even the moron O'Brien will eventualy look at the stats and Game film an see Ridley'e explosiveness as BJGE continues his morphing into Maroney.  Let's just hope the brain dead moron learn this by this weekend.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Rolando McClain talking trash?  I love it, Raiders are above .500 for the first time in 7 years and believing the hype.  Meanwhile thei QB is still Jason Campell and McFadden has a groin injury.

Take out the 2nd mortgage, fly out to Vegas and lay the points on the road.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]Oh and the trash-talking thing too. It'd be nice to have a player come out once in a while and stir the pot. You know what it does to the young guys who DO tweet, Facebook, and watch ESPN? It gets them fired up. It gets them angry at something/someone. Part of the problem against the Jets is that I think the team came out flat, without energy, without a bounce in their step. I said it after we clinched the bye week: I'd rather this YOUNG team just keep the momentum going and play every Sunday until the Super Bowl. A week off could do more harm. I thought Chad Ocho would help keep the guys loose and throw in some trash-talking as well but with this guy, we have a whole other set of problems right now.

Yeah, remember what happened last year before the Jets playoff game when Welker made his foot related comments in that press conference?   BB sat him for the first series.    Still think Belichick over-reacted to that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rolando McClain: Patriots are 'finesse' : Yeah, remember what happened last year before the Jets playoff game when Welker made his foot related comments in that press conference?   BB sat him for the first series.    Still think Belichick over-reacted to that.
    Posted by Salcon[/QUOTE]

That one was debatable to me because it attacked a PERSONAL ISSUE of the OPPOSING COACH. I thought it was kind of low by Welker. At the same time, Belichick had to lay down the law to show the younger players that that's not how we conduct business around here. For me, a good example was Brady in 2007 when Anthony Smith of the Steelers was talking trash. Brady came out and said, "it's better to be well done than well said." Then, he went out and targeted Smith and I remember seeing all the lineman and especially Brady get in Smith's face after he was victimized twice early in the game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rolando McClain: Patriots are 'finesse' : That one was debatable to me because it attacked a PERSONAL ISSUE of the OPPOSING COACH. I thought it was kind of low by Welker. At the same time, Belichick had to lay down the law to show the younger players that that's not how we conduct business around here. For me, a good example was Brady in 2007 when Anthony Smith of the Steelers was talking trash. Brady came out and said, "it's better to be well done than well said." Then, he went out and targeted Smith and I remember seeing all the lineman and especially Brady get in Smith's face after he was victimized twice early in the game.

Yeah, that was sweet when they went after Smith in that game.  Just a little swagger by this team would be nice.