Rolando McClain: Patriots are 'finesse'

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Re: Rolando McClain: Patriots are 'finesse'

I think there's a misconception that critics of this Patriots "spread offense" only want to see a more balanced approach taken with regard to the run/pass ratio.  Personally, I look at guys like Ridley and Vereen as weapons that are being wasted.    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Rolando McClain: Patriots are 'finesse':
    [QUOTE]I think there's a misconception that critics of this Patriots "spread offense" only want to see a more balanced approach taken with regard to the run/pass ratio.  Personally, I look at guys like Ridley and Vereen as weapons that are being wasted.    
    Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't think they're 'being wasted.' Look, as incompetent as our coaching staff can come across right now, they all want to win. If Ridley and Vereen were ready and could contribute to us winning, I'm sure they'd be in there. I think they're easing them in there.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

everyone says this.. we get no respect.. GUY FROM BUFFALO SAID THE SAME THING AFTER THE GAME.. THEY KNEW THEY HAD A SHOT TO COME BACK FOR WE ARE A Soft team that would not keep fighting if they raised the level of intensity. this team needs to get to oakland and run the ball 40 percent of the time.. esp in the beginning. u put 2 TE or an extra guard as a TE and push that balll down their throat.. u can always get tommy going. sometimes how one scores is more important than just scoring..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

[QUOTE]everyone says this.. we get no respect.. GUY FROM BUFFALO SAID THE SAME THING AFTER THE GAME.. THEY KNEW THEY HAD A SHOT TO COME BACK FOR WE ARE A Soft team that would not keep fighting if they raised the level of intensity. this team needs to get to oakland and run the ball 40 percent of the time.. esp in the beginning. u put 2 TE or an extra guard as a TE and push that balll down their throat.. u can always get tommy going. sometimes how one scores is more important than just scoring..
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

Hate to say it but C.C. is right and even Bill said it about his 09' team.  when things get tough and teams start to come back instead of stepping up, we wither under the pressure and adverse conditions. We used to trive at it.  I think we dont have enough leaders and guys who have been there, done that.  maybe on the line, but not enough in the linebacking crew and secondary.  We are green and it shows.  I miss Rodney ....*sigh*

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rolando McClain: Patriots are 'finesse' : Nice Getzo, pats66 was just crushed on the "run the damn ball thread" by another poster for similar arrogant statements. And for the topic, I say unfortunately Mclain is correct. We have became a finesse offense but don't have to be.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Finesse defense too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rolando McClain: Patriots are 'finesse' : Finesse defense too.
    Posted by rtuinila[/QUOTE]

Its so true. How did this happen? I think I'm gonna be sick....again.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know too many finesse defenses that have allowed an 80 yard rusher yet. Far from finesse.   Plenty of guys who are beasts and will pop you. FInesse offense, right now, no doubt. Why we lost SB 42, the Jets playoff loss, you name it. And only Brady and his power control over O'Brien can change it. Or BB.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

As much of a competitor as Brady is, chances are he won't be stepping up and asking for changes. Which QB doesn't like throwing the ball, especially if his line's been blocking for him? Cutler is BEGGING for a running game but Brady won't be. As much as Brady says it takes 11 guys, which I know he means, he also likes being in command and throwing darts all over. It's got to be an ego/competitive thing too...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rolando McClain: Patriots are 'finesse' : As much of a competitor as Brady is, chances are he won't be stepping up and asking for changes. Which QB doesn't like throwing the ball, especially if his line's been blocking for him? Cutler is BEGGING for a running game but Brady won't be. As much as Brady says it takes 11 guys, which I know he means, he also likes being in command and throwing darts all over. It's got to be an ego/competitive thing too...
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

Bingo!  people need to stop putting ALL the blame on O'bie.  I saw Brady in the Colts game in 09' go for it when he could have took a delay of game, but his competitive drive and will to win combined with wanting to beat Manning didnt allow him to make the right call and take the delay and punt it.  I dont want to hear about  Faulk getting the 1st down. He ran a 2 yard route on 4th and 2. I want it to be a sure thing, not a referee spot.

Did you see how amped Brady was when he came into Bills office to gameplan for the Colts?  Dude said he has been waiting for 2 years. I think thats very telling that in 2 years after rehabbing and coming back he was thinking about the Colts and beating Manning..  Alot of Ego's invovled in QB play , not Doubt about it!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know too many finesse defenses that have allowed an 80 yard rusher yet. Far from finesse.   Plenty of guys who are beasts and will pop you. FInesse offense, right now, no doubt. Why we lost SB 42, the Jets playoff loss, you name it. And only Brady and his power control over O'Brien can change it. Or BB.

RWTK,

The bend but don't break defense is the epitome of finesse defenses. It is keep everything in front of you and WAIT for the other team to make a mistake. You can't get anymore finesse than that.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I mean the system could be finesse but the players in the system maybe weren't?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rolando McClain: Patriots are 'finesse' : Why draft Ridley so high then?  I'm not saying they get away from their bread and butter, but rather start using some clock killing qualities to aid their D and keep the ball out the other offenses hands.. no?
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

I made this same argument yesterday and Mr. Patsfansince1966 forgot to take his meds and made the same stupid type of remarks.

We defenitely need to start simplifying the offense just a tad.  Let's line it up and start running the ball a bit with Brady under center.  This will open up the play action and subsequently you will see the passing game become even more effective than it already is.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rolando McClain: Patriots are 'finesse' : As much of a competitor as Brady is, chances are he won't be stepping up and asking for changes. Which QB doesn't like throwing the ball, especially if his line's been blocking for him? Cutler is BEGGING for a running game but Brady won't be. As much as Brady says it takes 11 guys, which I know he means, he also likes being in command and throwing darts all over. It's got to be an ego/competitive thing too...
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

I can't argue with this AP. We have to blame Brady as well but lets look at a parallel here. This is like the script for "Any given Sunday". But in this case Tom Brady is not Steaming Willie Beamin. This is Cap Rooney we are talking about. Bill Obrien may be Crosher the O.C who gets stepped on by his QB and Belichick may in fact be Tony D'Amatto an aging coach watching the game morph into a FF wet dream but.......Again Tom Brady is the veteran QB who needs to make the right call not the comfortable one.

I firmly believe that Peyton Manning would have checked to a run over a dozen times in the Bills game(as they kept 5-6 d backs on field) and it might just be because he would have  caught an earful from Tom Moore otherwise. We don't have an O.C who is gonna get in Brady's ear and this is where it falls back to a coaching problem for me. As good as Brady is he constantly reminds us that he doesn't coach the team. He is just a player who needs to be coached like the rest of them.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Lets hope that Bill reads thru these forums.  Despite what he may tell the media, we know the deal now.

In that special on him, I saw him watching comcast sports net, and after the Colts loss he was soaking it all in, in the sweat room listening to all the critics bash him on sports radio.  So its obvious HE DOES care somewhat what people think...not that he is gonna change, but he does listen..

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATinPA. Show PATinPA's posts

I hate to say it but with no running game and a "bend but don't break" defensive philosphy they are exactly that a "FINESSE" football team. Time will tell if the Defense gels and plays better, but right now McClain hit the nail on the head.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Our defense looks finesse now, but it can be fixed with agressive play.

As for as offense, YES, we are as finesse as it gets. I cant lay all the blame on Obie anymore.  Tom likes to pass, this we know, but he also has to ability to change a call whenever he sees fit. This is the problem , IMO

Sure we want to be in the best play possible, but not everything can be determined pre snap and what I mean is sometimes you have to run the play you called because you called it for a reason. Ex. Brady gets the call to run right over tackle w/Benny.  He comes to the line and sees a backer creeping up to that side.  What does he do?  "Alert, Alert"  backs up and tells Wes to spread out...and Boom, you have now TOLD the Defense, we are going to pass.  This game of trying to figure out the defense on every snap is old.  RUN YOUR DAM PLAY AND WHO CARES IF IT GETS STUFFED. Its the NFL , you are gonna get stuffed and have negative yardage at times,. but to let the defense DICTATE to you because you are scared the play wont work is feeding into their hands and not enough people make note of this.  Brady tries too hard to call the perfect play and will always audible to a pass at even the slightest hint of 8 in the box.

I dont like that philosophy...Run the Ball effectively by running it early and often and you will still get yards and eventually break one like we did to end the game in S.D.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

[QUOTE]Does that mean NE's dynasty era defense was "finesse", because that's all they played (bend, don't break). 3-4 and a little 4-3. The difference was, it was less of a passing league then. If NE's D keeps it under 300 points over 16 games, that's the target.

How much more of a passing league is it?  Last year we gave up 260 ypg with about 7 ypa and QBs had about a rating of 80.  Now, we're giving up 380 ypg at 9 ypa.  That's about a 40% increase in yardage and almost a 30% increase in ypa.  Would you say teams are passing 40% more? 30%? 20%?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rolando McClain: Patriots are 'finesse' : Hate to say it but C.C. is right and even Bill said it about his 09' team.  when things get tough and teams start to come back instead of stepping up, we wither under the pressure and adverse conditions. We used to trive at it.  I think we dont have enough leaders and guys who have been there, done that.  maybe on the line, but not enough in the linebacking crew and secondary.  We are green and it shows.  I miss Rodney ....*sigh*
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]we've become the damnn sox! i say we have to pound that ball down their throats and make them our LINDA LOVELACE! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! ITS NOT REALLY THE PLAYERS OR PERSONNEL, ITS THE schemes! THE PROB IS WITH BILLY BELICHECK! yep, that guy, the infallible one.. still living off his laurels from the glory days..

look times change, we must change with them, sox used to be the kings of moneyball, well everyone does that now.. being a genius no longer means mastering that approach for it alone wont get you a ring nor does spending dumb money for the ochos or carl cawfords. likewise with bb. thanks to 2007, everyone else now does that throwing thing too, likewise with the changes made last year post-moss! fact is whether it was last year or 07, the changes made us SOFT! we have to change the equation by going backwards.

look at pittsburgh, regardless of the year or season, they are more successful this century than the pats by doing the same things they did last century.. they hit you in the mouth on offense and defense. no matter how things change, that NEVER will! you can then sneak in a brady and let him be as the game flows. but in the beginning and at the end, rather than going 4 wide and throwing 90% of the time.. you put in 2 or 3 TEs and pound that ball while stopping others from doing the same. so FIRST be tough than second show you can be finesse and gentle.

by making it clear u wear the pants, noone will blink when you bust out the skirt or pink ties on occasion, but when u go pink all the time, they get empowered and think they can bend u over for a pounding as or when they wish! got that? its basic timless psychology!