Ron Brace another Marquis Hill (R.I.P.)??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

Ron Brace another Marquis Hill (R.I.P.)??

Is Ron Brace destined to be a bust or is he ever going to see the field? Not disrespecting Marquis Hill but there are similarities between the 2, both 2nd round picks with loads of potential but MH didnt see to much of the field and Brace being outplayed by Pryor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Ron Brace another Marquis Hill (R.I.P.)??

I think it's way too early to tell. I suspect Brace has more limited skills than Pryor.  I think he's more of a pure nose tackle, while Pryor has better flexibility to play multiple positions along the D-line.  That gives Pryor a big advantage in getting playing time right now because he's more versatile. As long as Wilfork is healthy, I suspect Belichick doesn't feel he needs to utilize Brace that much. Still, Brace didn't look all the effective in the Jets game.  I was at that game and I noticed that when they put him in for Wilfork, the Jets ran right at him with success.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Think you might want to wait more than 7 games into his career before you make such a proclamation??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

not even 7 games...i dont think he has played since the jets game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Way too early to make that statement. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Linemen have long chafed about the "skill positions" label not being applied to them, like their job was chopped liver.  Brace needs to learn handwork and leverage, he needs to learn how to stack, shed and swim, and he needs to learn how to work with 10 other guys in a tricky defense. 

My guess is that Brace will first go in on short-yardage stands, where he can simply shove his part of the pile backwards.  He might be secretly injured.  Otherwise he's the strongest guy on the field, and the other team's center or guard is going backwards.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Brace is a rookie NT, how is he going to see meaningful playing time when he's playing behind a pro bowl NT who also happens to be one of the best (if not the best) at his position?  So, don't go jumping to conclusions yet just because Pryor is playing and he's not. 

Also, worth noting is that draft position is all about how high you believe a player's potential ceiling is with regards to talent, not how soon you believe that he can be a difference maker.  Just because Brace was a 2nd rounder doesn't mean that he'll see a ton of playing time in his rookie season.  Merriweather was a 1st rounder and didn't get much playing time, Aaron Rodgers was a 1st rounder who had to play behind a star QB in Brett Farve which meant that he went a couple of seasons without meaningful playing time.  However, both of these guys have produced was finally given their opportunity to shine.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

Give it 2 years maybe 3 years.  Too early to tell.

Marquise Hill (RIP) was another in a long line of BB 2nd round busts starting with Adrian Klemm, Bethel Johnson, Hill, Chad Jackson, etc etc.

BB is typically better with later rounds, undrafted guys, and picking up cast offs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bjcanney. Show bjcanney's posts

I'd be more worried if the Pats were still coming out in 4-3 fronts as they were to start the season and Brace wasn't in there, but since they are looking more and more like their 3-4 scheme I find it hard to think Brace would see the field as long as Wilfork is healthy.   It should be interesting to see what the Pats do in the offseason with Brace there to step in and Wilfork's contract up.

Another thing is that the two other 2nd rounds picks in Sebastian Vollmer and Patrick Chung are stepping into more playing time too, so it's hard to say that BB 2nd round picks are not effective. Vollmer is starting at LT as a rookie, usually it's top 10 picks or Michael Oher this year that can do that effectively.  Looks to me like a solid return on that pick so far and he will only get better.

It's still way to early to tell, but the Pats 3- 2nd round picks collectively are producing better than 80% of the 1st round picks and their salaries aren't in the neighborhood of what teams had to invest in those players.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

Is it possible that the string for 2nd rounds busts should be blamed on Piolli?  Since he left, BB got more involved in the scouting process and suddenly he had what appears to be a great draft all around.  Just a thought.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Brace given Warren's injury (I assume that will cause either Pryor or Wright to play at LE, opening up their usual spots for someone else on the D-line).  Do we know the severity of the injury yet?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Labeling Hill a "bust" after three seasons is not fair or correct.  He left college as a true junior and was barely eligible to drink when he became a PAT.  Bill B acknowledged when he drafted Hill that he was raw and something of a project. Still Hill backed up Seymour and wasn't about to supplant what was the strongest unit on our team.  Sey, Keith Traylor and Ty Warren were the starters with Jarvis Green, rookie Wilfork and Hill backing up.  His best football was in front of him...

With Brace, PAT's fans need to muster the patience they couldnt seem to exercise in regards to Hill.  Brace was picked using the "best available player regardless of need" philosophy and is leverage in the Wilfork negotiations.  He isn't going to jump ahead of Vince or Mike Wright on the depth chart barring injury but let's not go labeling him a bust...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Ron Brace another Marquis Hill (R.I.P.)??:
    [QUOTE]Is Ron Brace destined to be a bust or is he ever going to see the field? Not disrespecting Marquis Hill but there are similarities between the 2, both 2nd round picks with loads of potential but MH didnt see to much of the field and Brace being outplayed by Pryor.
    Posted by timsandra[/QUOTE]

The Pats actually have serious depth at Defensive line. That's why they didn't have a problem trading Seymour. We've known for years how good Mike Wright was but he wouldn't be getting the snaps if Seymour was still here. Give it a little time and eventually someone will get hurt or move on to another team. Then we'll see what he has to offer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Ron Brace another Marquis Hill (R.I.P.)??:
    [QUOTE]Is Ron Brace destined to be a bust or is he ever going to see the field? Not disrespecting Marquis Hill but there are similarities between the 2, both 2nd round picks with loads of potential but MH didnt see to much of the field and Brace being outplayed by Pryor.
    Posted by timsandra[/QUOTE]

That's a ridiculous comparison at this point in time. MH had several years over which to develop before his unfortunate demise. Brace had been here for 3 months.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuckman. Show chuckman's posts

In Response to Re: Ron Brace another Marquis Hill (R.I.P.)??:
    [QUOTE]Give it 2 years maybe 3 years.  Too early to tell. Marquise Hill (RIP) was another in a long line of BB 2nd round busts starting with Adrian Klemm, Bethel Johnson, Hill, Chad Jackson, etc etc. BB is typically better with later rounds, undrafted guys, and picking up cast offs.
    Posted by Benkarkis[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuckman. Show chuckman's posts

So if BB is better in later rounds and with undrafted free agents that means what I've said all along, after the first round, he might as well go out and play golf because he doesn't have a clue about drafting college players. Take a look at the last 4 or 5 Patriots drafts, practically everyone has been cut except for the first round pick. Sure he can trade draft picks for established players (Moss, Welker) but when it comes to drafting, he is terrible!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

The positive is we don't need him to contribute currently.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]Is it possible that the string for 2nd rounds busts should be blamed on Piolli?  
    Posted by RahZid[/QUOTE]

Pure speculation, but interesting speculation nonetheless.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Give him time. Big Vince is having a nice year, and that helps the rookie by giving him time to develop and get use to the NFL game by playing limited time. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Comparing Brace to a guy who died a tragic death is in poor taste. You could of just said that Brace has done nothing in 7 games. Way too soon to even make the offbase comparison.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]Comparing Brace to a guy who died a tragic death is in poor taste. You could of just said that Brace has done nothing in 7 games. Way too soon to even make the offbase comparison.
    Posted by PatsRfineIn09[/QUOTE]

Agreed, very bad taste, and it was a tragic yet heroic death; he saved the girl who was with him, making sure she was clinging to the buoy before slipping away with the current.  He won an NCAA championship as a starting defensive end and one with the PAT's as a backup... we'll never know just how good he could have been but with all the work he did after Katrina in New Orleans and saving a girl's life, he deserves better than a smearing by short sighted fans with no perspective...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ron Brace another Marquis Hill (R.I.P.)?? : Agreed, very bad taste, and it was a tragic yet heroic death; he saved the girl who was with him, making sure she was clinging to the buoy before slipping away with the current.  He won an NCAA championship as a starting defensive end and one with the PAT's as a backup... we'll never know just how good he could have been but with all the work he did after Katrina in New Orleans and saving a girl's life, he deserves better than a smearing by short sighted fans with no perspective...
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

I agree. From what little I know about Mr. Hill, he was a man's man and deserving of all our respect.

Sections
Shortcuts