Ron Brace is bust

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: Ron Brace is bust

or we can give u a dollar, u can buy a clue and at the very least wait to see what happens after 3 years like real pro evaluators do. Or do u know better than the pros?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

He didn't look good, but it's too early to say.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Pulling out the bust card in year one Laughing

Bravo !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Jeez, after all the playing time he has had with the pro-bowlers, and veteran lunch-pail guys on the Pat's D-Line?  Hey, he was a starter in week 15!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

for his first start he did well compared to how well the defense has played against the better teams all year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from vapatfan1. Show vapatfan1's posts

In Response to Re: Ron Brace is bust:
    [QUOTE]or we can give u a dollar, u can buy a clue and at the very least wait to see what happens after 3 years like real pro evaluators do. Or do u know better than the pros?
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

Yeah, too early to tell.  If Brace was eventually cut from the team in a year or two, maybe then we could start talking bust. 

Is there a precedent for a first year DT picked high in the second round to play much better after their rookie year?  Nothing comes to mind but I'm sure someone can recall a player or two....anyone? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ron Brace is bust : Yeah, too early to tell.  If Brace was eventually cut from the team in a year or two, maybe then we could start talking bust.  Is there a precedent for a first year DT picked high in the second round to play much better after their rookie year?  Nothing comes to mind but I'm sure someone can recall a player or two....anyone? 
    Posted by vapatfan1[/QUOTE]

Wilfork dramatically improved after his first year.  Wright took till this year to shine.  Warren took a year or two before he was really good.  Those are just on our team.  The again in the league there is vernon Gholston, we could have him, oh wait we are not the Jets. thank god.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

In Response to Ron Brace is bust:
    [QUOTE]All the fans can be divided in 2 camps now. 1. Those who saw him activated and play against the Bills and agree. 2. Those in denial.
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

Thanks Carnac. Your sage like wisdom is always good for a laugh.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Camp 3
    he played well for his first start,5 tackles 2 assists an almost sack nullified by an
    inadvertent facemask.

It took VW half a year to learn the right technique. He backed up half a step instead charging hard all the time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Last week I was hearing how Randy Moss was a bust in the Carolina game.  The truth is that Moss was double teamed, occasionally triple teamed, for the entire second half.  That made it easy for Wes Welker, for Laurence Maroney, for Ben Watson.  Result:  25 first downs, a rested defense and a victory.

Brace got on the field.  He started.  His team's defense held the other guys to 3 points for the first 57 minutes of the game, until Buffalo needed 2 scores to tie and only had time for 1 score.  That's the problem with calling Ron Brace a bust.  Team results count for something. 

On the first drive I was trying to watch to see if Brace was double teamed.  I saw the double team at least once, maybe two or three times.  Ritchie Incognito has his problems, but sheer strength isn't his issue.  Brace looked quite effectively contained by the double team.  A double team isn't a bust.

Judging by the way the defense demolished Fitzpatrick, I suspect that the Pats defense was purposefully giving up something on the run, while laying in wait for the eventual pass.  That's not Brace's fault.  That's a coaching strategy.

After that first drive, I think Mike Wright came toward the middle to help out, so Brace isn't exactly covered with glory.  After that, Buffalo's best runs were mostly to the outside.  Buffalo was typically getting 4 yards or 3 yards through the middle, not what Vince Wilfork and Ty Warren would typically allow, but often good enough to force Buffalo to punt or to gamble on fourth down.  5 punts, 3 fourth downs (one turnover on downs), 6 sacks, 1 interception.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Way too early to speculate. He's a young guy. Hopefully he can get some playing time next Sunday. The first defensive series, he was getting stood up at the LOS. He needs to stay lower so to not loose leverage. He's playing against veteran NFL O-lineman now and they will school him for awhile! Still too early to call him a bust. That's foolish.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Just to add an important opinion:

Belichick: "I thought Ron did a pretty solid job in there. It wasn’t perfect. There were some things that I’m sure when he sees, he’ll be able to see how he could have handled those better. But I thought he did a pretty solid job. He was in on a few plays. I thought he moved laterally down the line of scrimmage several times and made some tackles. He’s a strong guy. He did a good job of pushing inside. He didn’t get knocked off the ball, so that’s important."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

[QUOTE]Camp 3 he played well for his first start,5 tackles 2 assists an almost sack nullified by an inadvertent facemask. It took VW half a year to learn the right technique. He backed up half a step instead charging hard all the time.
    Posted by harleyroadking103[/QUOTE]

As Chris Berman says about Brace's play in the first Pats defensive series concerning Ron Brace, "Back, back, back, back, back, back."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

I wouldnt call him a bust after one game. He played Ok. Atleast it looks like he has the physical skills to play inside. Now he just needs to learn the technique

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AChigurh. Show AChigurh's posts

You know, he did make a few plays and he did look bad at times.  That's what rookies do.  For those who want to call him a bust, you clearly are here just to bust balls. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

i think the critics are expecting a 2nd round draft choice to be active on game day...not a star, but by this time of the season to be on the field contributing.
    i do think Brace will improve and contribute but the wilfork and wright comp's are not valid. wilfork was active every game...and wright played special teams every game with spot duty rotating in on the d-line
    lets hope this is a learning year for brace, as i think the pats will need him next year. not optimistic on resigning wilfork and green

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

All this talk about how Wilfork and Seymour improved after rookie seasons is nonsense. It's an insult to them. They were so far ahead of the progression by the end of the 1st year to where Brace is now. The closest person that comes to mind with Brace is Jackson. High 2nd round draft pick that had trouble beating ........ an aging Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney to get on the roster. This time Brace has trouble beating Terrel Sands and Titus Adams to get on the roster. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

It's not nonsense. What you think these guys were pro-bowlers from the start. VW played terrible in the 7 or 8 starts because he too aggressive and centers used that against him. And guess what, with a little time and coaching he learned to control the aggressive moves and backed up a half step in his alinement changing his technique in the 2 gap scheme. Give Brace some game time before you declare him a bust.

Is Crable a bust? McKenzie? neither have seen the field yet, much like Brace.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-pats-fan. Show can-pats-fan's posts

I was at the Buffalo game and Brace's lack of strength is a concern.  He was blown off the ball almost every play.  It is still far too early to call him a bust, but I don't recall Vince getting blown away too often in his rookie season.  Funny thing is I told my buddy before the game that Brace looks like Vince alittle.  Too bad size doesn't equate to power.  Can he get stronger in the off season?  That's a question for the coaches.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

He drew a double team so that says something.

BB seemed to imply he played better in the 4-3 where he didn't have to cover two gaps.

That tells me he is still learning and not that he is too weak.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Brace was blown off the line fairly easily on many occasions.

Marquise Hill is the only other 2nd round DL in BB's tenure. There have been no 3rd round DLs. He was the close to the last pick in the 2nd round, about 20 picks later than Brace. 

Marquise Hill played in only 1 game. With all due respect and sensitivity to his tragic, unfortunate end, most of us knew that he was too much of a project.

Hopefully Brace will prove my instincts wrong.

BTW, Vince Wilfork played in every game his rookie year, starting 6 and recording 42 tackles, 2 sacks and 3 pass deflections. There really is no comparison between Wilfork and Brace in their rookie seasons.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from flip781. Show flip781's posts

The trouble with getting accustomed to watching the best is when another player takes his spot his mistakes are glaring !!  Vince Wilfolk is, hands down, the best interior defensive lineman in the league.... It is impossible for a rookie like Brace to  "pick up the slack" when he replaces Wilfolk on the field....Brace has a tremendous up-side and played well for an inexperienced rookie......Brute force and strength are just part of it though....... he has to learn....how to play the position and then how to play the the position within the team's defensive concept....He'll come around...........

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Yeah I'm afraid the title and tone of this thread is a bust.

Who comes up with this garbage...  Oh yeah... trolls.  Obviously for his first start he played OK and the fact that he drew the double team means there is a future there if he refines his technique.  A "bust" wouldn't have seen the field, ask Chad Jackson or Bethel Johnson...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Comparing him to who?  The kid is a rookie, there have been times VW has been pushed back or around even the great Tedd Washington had some problems from time to time. 
    Has he played to the level we all expected, no but he's also playing one of the two hardest position in football.  In a 3-4 he is it, he is the anchor to a defense. 
    He's learning, remember he had Raji next to him in college Raji took most of the double and triple teams.  If you have ever played football you would know there's a learning curve.
    The kid has all the physical tools to be a good NT, will he pan out the jury should still be out on this one not a bust yet and to say that is just ignorance at its best.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ron Brace is bust : Wilfork dramatically improved after his first year.  Wright took till this year to shine.  Warren took a year or two before he was really good.  Those are just on our team.  The again in the league there is vernon Gholston, we could have him, oh wait we are not the Jets. thank god.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

I remember Wright in preseason when he was a rookie.....he was clearly a standout .....his mototr did not stop.  Then they do wha they do bring them along slowly (preseason is a different animal) but you could see the talent. 

On the flip side I haven't seen anything with Brace.  Personally, I think the guy has the fottbal ability, he's simply not strong enought o play at his level yet.  Perhaps a good year in the weight room does the trick.  Anyone know?  I can't remember his combine stats.