Ron Brace is bust

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Ron Brace is bust

Even if Brace is a bust, and it's waaay too early to go there, why can't some of you guys be a little excited that the other 3 2nd rounders from last year are all expected to be major contributors?  It's easy to focus on the negative and completely ignore that the 2nd round from last year looks like it could yield a starting safety, starting LT/RT and a starting corner.  And there is plenty of time for Brace to come along. 

Someone else said that Ty Warren was slow to come along when he was drafted, and I remember reading about how he was a reach in the 1st round, etc.  Point is, give it some time before jumping to conclusions rather than being king knee-jerk looking to be the guy that said "I told you so". 

I think some of you guys think that every draft pick needs to be a superstar and that the Pats can realistically be in the Suuperbowl every year.  There are lots of other good teams you know. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

I am a big boy, I can take it.  I remember you saying that the Jets will open the season 0-3 or 1-3 so you better hope you are right or I will be all over you.    Hooded sweatshirt better be on top of his game or you guys will be looking up at us AND the fish.  I mean really, 2 weeks ago you guys were talking about how you have the best recieving corp in the AFC east and today you are talking about ditching the old man that was soooo great for the panthers last year.  I said it before, I am looking forward to this year because our defense will be kicking your and whoever lines up across from thier @rse up and down the field.  VG can be a part of it if he can hang.  If not he gets crabled and we go with last years line minus the old guy(douglas) that went to the fish but WITH Big Jenks.  Lookout ladies, some men are coming to foxborough!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Cut the young man a break, here!  He was a fine player at dear old BC and I have no doubt that he will have value for Pats.  Let's stop looking for instant heroes and let young players like Ron develop and grow in the NFL.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

In Response to Re: Ron Brace is bust:
    [QUOTE]Still too early, see you again next year at the same time.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

By this time next year he won't be on the roster. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

From the beginning:

I remember that Brace has a unique body type.  He was described as a human avalanche by one scout.  Apparently he holds the point of attack with nearly unprecedented strength.  He will never catch up to any quarterback, but he can run-block. 

He was lousy early in the 2009 season, and he got himself benched.  Numbers of rookies do this if they're slow learners, and if they play certain positions that require long apprenticeships.  Vince Wilfork at nose tackle needed a year to get good.  Many offensive linemen only get good in their third year.

He was ok late in the 2009 season.  BB felt obliged to defend Brace's play in one postgame press conference.  Brace was getting pushed out of certain plays, but Buffalo needed to double team Brace to do it.  If I remember that game, Buffalo scored only three offensive points until after the game was well in hand, so somebody on the defense made some plays.

Brace has been on the non-football injury list for six days in a row now.  Brace has no record of being injured before, and if he gets over his current unnamed injury, he has a fair to good recent playing history and he might yet blossom some.  That's how I see him. 

Now, long-time readers know that I have ragged on Stone-hips Gholston ever since a week before his draft, when I was saying in print, "Puh-leeze let the Jets draft Stone-Hips".  The guy has terribly stiff hips and can't play linebacker to save his life.  All he can do is bull-rush, and against larger NFL tackles that's not very useful.  So then the Jets drafted the guy and I've been ragging on him ever since.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

[QUOTE]  Apparently he holds the point of attack with nearly unprecedented strength. 
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

You and I must be living in different parallel universes.

Brace was pushed around like a rag doll, and that's why he was permanently benched.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

[QUOTE]This is flawed logic. 
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

Russ, I don't think you understood my point.

Every other pick from 2009 has contributed more than Brace, including fellow DL Pryor. Even Daryll Richard was out there tonite on the practice field with the 2nd teamers.

Those are the facts. Now, we can start to make excuses as to why Brace has been useless so  far. But no one likes to hear excuses.

To be useful, Brace needs to get on the field and contribute.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ron Brace is bust : You and I must be living in different parallel universes. Brace was pushed around like a rag doll, and that's why he was permanently benched.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007[/QUOTE]
    I'm paraphrasing what a college scout said about his play at BC.  I think the scout's exact term was "human avalanche".  He was in fact pushed around quite easily by the Jets in the first Jets game early in the season, which says something about learning the finer points of technique versus possessing brute force.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

At this point, Shalise Manza Young is updating the Ron Brace saga.  Here are two somewhat confusing quotes from today's Q & A:

"Shalise Manza Young: Ron Brace has yet to practice. I'm 99pct sure that he remains on the active/non-football injury list. "

"Shalise Manza Young: BB was asked about Brace today and all he would say is that he's working hard to get back on the field and is day-to-day... "

Hmmm...  I believe Brace is on that injury list today and that's what Shalise meant, and then I'm going to go with door number 2, Bill Belichick's comment, and say that Brace will probably be on the field in about a week.  Then we'll see something.  Vince Wilfork could probably use the help right now.  No Mike Wright today.  No Ty Warren.  No Myron Pryor.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

maybe we can keep him around as long as we had Crable here....

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ron Brace is bust : As Chris Berman says about Brace's play in the first Pats defensive series concerning Ron Brace, "Back, back, back, back, back, back."
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron[/QUOTE]

YA, Chris Berman is one to listen to, he's nothing but a showboat comic, wannabe!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

According to the Boston Herald, Brace failed his physical.

What is the take-away from this information?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but he has not passed the conditioning test while five or six other DL guys have. Did he not show up in shape?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

From the globe:

Brace close
    Defensive lineman Ron Brace is on the active/non-football injury list and has not participated in camp, but is day to day, according to Belichick. “Hopefully [he’ll] be out there as soon as he possibly can,’’ Belichick said. “He’s working hard to get back and we’d love to have him out there. We’ll just take it day to day.’’ . . .

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2010/08/05/ghiaciuc_plucked_off_unemployment_line/

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]VG may be a bust.  IMO, that will be decided after this chance he is given to play DE in a 3-4.  He has put on a few pounds and we will see how he holds up.  He may be a bust but he hasnt been crabled.
    Posted by whodeawhodat[/QUOTE]

a couple of things you forget to mention concerning Mr. Ghoulston...
    This will be his third season in the league.
    He was the 6th pick overall in the 2008 draft.
    He has a total of 11 tackes in 29 games. That's pretty close to one tackle every three games.
    Unlike Crable, he doesn't have injuries as an excuse.
    If that's not the profile of a bust, I don't know what is!
    The only reason he wasn't cut in 2008 training camp was that it would have made the jets braintrust, such as it is, look even more stupid than they really are!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

I don't like making un-founded accusations....but....

...my guess is that Mr Gholston's college performance was chemically enhanced.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]I don't like making un-founded accusations....but.... ...my guess is that Mr Gholston's college performance was chemically enhanced.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007[/QUOTE]

He was the ultimate "workout warrior". A monster physical specimen; a Willie Mcginest on steriods body and had the scouts drooling at the combine. I had hoped that the Pats would grab him somehow but those clever old jets jumped right in there at #6.

I believe I stated on this board that being drafted by the jests would be the kiss of death for the kid, putting him in their long tradition of first round busts.

So sad.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gordotomase. Show gordotomase's posts

Russ...sorry dude..I just can't agree with your perspective on this guy -

"A source close to Brace said the former Boston College star has missed the first 15 practices because he failed his conditioning test. Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio disclosed for the first time that the 2009 second-round pick did not pass a physical, though he did not provide additional details.

While Brace’s inability to complete the conditioning run did not garner as much publicity as Redskins star Albert Haynesworth’s, it is still noteworthy. Other than potentially retiring pass-rusher Derrick Burgess, Brace is the only player under contract not to participate in any practices.

Sorry Russ..his kind of size is readily available...if he can't get out on the field, what use is he?..a door stop?...He's a waste of a high draft choice who would rather lift donuts than weights, a lazy, stupid and apparently, way out of shape fat bastid...what's the upside here...there is none..he's done, he's a bust , whether it's today or two years from now...this guy will never see serious action for the Pats

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gordotomase. Show gordotomase's posts

oh yes...i'm the commenter formerly known as jfaust!

Sections
Shortcuts