Ron Brace to DE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Ron Brace to DE?

I know he was a rookie last year, but was still disappointed with him when he did play. One of the factors to re-signing Wilfork was the poor play by Brace. Since the Patriots didn't have a viable option, the choice was to find someone else or sign Wilfork.

Anyway, there is the idea of Brace playing DE. Maybe just to stop the run, but for pass rush? He was pushed around/manhandled last year - just seemed like he didn't have much lower body strength to keep his ground.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20100324ron_brace_nose_who_to_emulate/

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Ron Brace to DE?

He wasn't given many snaps which is an indication that he wasn't learning at a very fast pace. I remember him from BC as being extremely quick off the ball in the 3 technique,but he was just another guy last year and he lost any of the extra Reps to Pryor. That is good if you are a Patriots fan because competition is healthy and the cream will rise to the top.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I think Brace is a little too large and slow for the end. I was actually thinking Mike wright if we didn't come up with a better alternative by the time Mini Camp starts. Wright, Wilfork and Warren wouldn't be a bad way to go into the season but I would like to see them add some help at the LB position.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

In Response to Re: Ron Brace to DE?:
    I think Brace is a little too large and slow for the end. I was actually thinking Mike wright if we didn't come up with a better alternative by the time Mini Camp starts. Wright, Wilfork and Warren wouldn't be a bad way to go into the season but I would like to see them add some help at the LB position.
    Posted by ewhite1065

The Pats let Jarvis go there must be the idea that Brace can play with Pryor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from burg50. Show burg50's posts

In Response to Ron Brace to DE?:
    I know he was a rookie last year, but was still disappointed with him when he did play. One of the factors to re-signing Wilfork was the poor play by Brace. Since the Patriots didn't have a viable option, the choice was to find someone else or sign Wilfork. Anyway, there is the idea of Brace playing DE. Maybe just to stop the run, but for pass rush? He was pushed around/manhandled last year - just seemed like he didn't have much lower body strength to keep his ground. http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20100324ron_brace_nose_who_to_emulate/ Thoughts?
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Youll see the patriots utilize Pryor at the defensive end position mixing in with mike wright. Belichick is very high on wrights play and is very comfortable and pleased with how Pryor took advantage of his opportunities. Pryor is definately a force that should see alot more playing time in 2010.

Brace will be kept inside - too big for a 3-4 end position. Brace lacks the motor that a Seymour and Warren have. I see Brace coming onto the field during 4-3 packages (similar to his days at BC with Raji) and on short yardage situations.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Think he is a better fit an NT, not sure he has the wheels to play DE.  I think the stories of Brace getting killed last year are overstated, but this is clearly a big year for him. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Brace is a DT I don't see him being able to make the transition and on top of that he had enough problems learning the system at NT, DE has a whoile lot of responsibilities where the NT is basicly plug up the gaps to either side of you and if you get a chance tackle the guy with the ball. (over simplification... but not by much! lol)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

I don't think any of Brace, Pryor or Wright are ideal fits as a starting 3-4 end.  Brace is too big and slow (not to mention got manhandled last year), Pryor and Wright  are excellent penetrators but aren't stout enough against the run.  

IF (and this is a big if) Brace develops into a guy who can hold the point of attack and stop the run, then I could see a combination of him on early downs and Wright/Pryor in passing situations working.  But right now, none of them can handle the primary responsibility of the position, engulfing blockers and holding the point of attack.  This is a big position of need.  Guys like Odrick and Carrington should keep an eye on the Patriots on draft day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

I feel the fans preception of defensive end is more critical than how the Patriots see this area in regards to the draft. As a fan I would like to see them pick up a guy like Odrick or Carrington. Similar to how I thought the OLB position was an area for concern last year. Patriots felt differently than most fans in 09. Feel like they have the same feeling this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

kyle, if they don't value the position high in the draft, then how you explain Richard Seymour being picked 6th overall, and Ty Warren being picked 13th overall?  I'd argue that this demonstrates that it is amongst their highest valued positions in the draft.  Include Wilfork and it even furthers their view of the importance of the defensive line.  BB has said that the 3 guys up front are vital to the success of a 3-4 defense.

Whether they go for one high this year really depends on how the board falls and if they see anyone they like (personally I like both Odrick and Carrington, but BB knows better than I do).  Maybe he likes Wright/Pryor/Brace at that spot. But it's hard to compare the spot to our perception of OLB, because unlike at OLB, Belichick has a track record of drafting defensive ends very, very high.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Pyegian - you totally misunderstood me. I am comparing the Patriots perception on their talent on thier roster vs the preception of the fans.

in 2009 - we traded Vrabel and every fan including me said we will draft an OLB early. huuuuge need. but BB and the patriots seemed content with who they had on board already and didnt go the "fans" route.

In 2010 - as fans we see a huge void at DE. However I believe BB and the patriots seem content on who they have on board already with Pryor, Wright, Warren, and Brace for packages.

I never stated that the patriots dont value DE as a high standard. not the topic I was trying to discuss. Every fan knows the patriots value DL early in the draft.

Sections
Shortcuts