Ron Brace

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Ron Brace

It's nice to hear Mike Reiss say Ron has had a strong start to camp, this is a position that I think we need some help on and perhaps Ron can give it. There was a six game stretch two years ago that Ron seemed to be really finding himself as a player and then he got hurt. I know it's way too early to get excited about him (or others), but it's encouraging. Reiss said Ron handled Connolly very well in one on one drills (he also said Connolly has been the best lineman in camp).

I wish a guy like Pryor would be able to get healthy as well because he's got some talent as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Re: Ron Brace

It would be huge if brace can contribute for sure. Good to hear, hopefully it continues throughout!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

yeah I dont want to sound rude, but who cares? I think the best we can hope for at this point is that Brace becoems a mediocre palyer. He is clearly a JAG.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

DT could be the position that gets drafted in the 1st three rounds in 2013 draft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Brace might just emerge - right in time for his rookie contract to end.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to "Re: Ron Brace":
    yeah I dont want to sound rude, but who cares? I think the best we can hope for at this point is that Brace becoems a mediocre palyer. He is clearly a JAG. Posted by Quagmire3
    Oh I agree, he's been a major bust, but injuries played a part in hopefully all of it. Otherwise we wasted a 2nd round selection and severely misjudged his talent level and ability to play in our scheme.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Outside of Wilfork I haven't felt any of the lineman have stood Out the last couple years. It would be nice if one does.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

For the most part Brace is talked about as a possibility to make the team if:

A - Pryor can't stay healthy in camp
    B - Deadrick can't show consistency/maturity in camp

Considering both those guys play limited roles in sub package rotations to begin with I don't think it would greatly affect the team if Brace made the team or not. Now if he could outplay Love then he'd might have a shot at significant reps but I just don't see it. He'd be the last play on the 53man squad who might or might not suit up for games so not really a big story imo 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I've always thought Pryor shows up when he's healthy. He's just injured a lot.  Brace has been less effective when healthy in my opinion--and injured even more.  

Love and Deaderick have been more dependable, but neither is a true impact player on the DL.  It's going to be interesting to see how the front seven shakes out in the end. It's hard to predict because BB uses his front seven players in so many different ways it's hard to even know what "positions" he's trying to fill. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

For the most part Brace is talked about as a possibility to make the team if: A - Pryor can't stay healthy in camp B - Deadrick can't show consistency/maturity in camp Considering both those guys play limited roles in sub package rotations to begin with I don't think it would greatly affect the team if Brace made the team or not. Now if he could outplay Love then he'd might have a shot at significant reps but I just don't see it. He'd be the last play on the 53man squad who might or might not suit up for games so not really a big story imo  Posted by PatsEng
    I'll tell you what, I'm not as high on Love as many on here are - I don't think I've seen a guy that big get moved around so frequently in the run game. Pryor to me is the much better player, but he's been injured 90% of his time here. I think Deadrick was one of our better linemen last year, but to me he's more of a very good depth type. Outside of Fanene and Wilfork, I think all of these guys are basically on equal footing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Ron Brace:
    In response to "Re: Ron Brace": I'll tell you what, I'm not as high on Love as many on here are - I don't think I've seen a guy that big get moved around so frequently in the run game. Pryor to me is the much better player, but he's been injured 90% of his time here. I think Deadrick was one of our better linemen last year, but to me he's more of a very good depth type. Outside of Fanene and Wilfork, I think all of these guys are basically on equal footing.
    Posted by mthurl

I tend to agree . . . Warren is the other guy who has real talent, but he's ancient at this point in his career.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to "Re: Ron Brace": Oh I agree, he's been a major bust, but injuries played a part in hopefully all of it. Otherwise we wasted a 2nd round selection and severely misjudged his talent level and ability to play in our scheme. Posted by mthurl
    Better late than never though fellas. If he shows up of course! Or he is a gonnah!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to "Re: Ron Brace": I'll tell you what, I'm not as high on Love as many on here are - I don't think I've seen a guy that big get moved around so frequently in the run game. Pryor to me is the much better player, but he's been injured 90% of his time here. I think Deadrick was one of our better linemen last year, but to me he's more of a very good depth type. Outside of Fanene and Wilfork, I think all of these guys are basically on equal footing.
    Posted by mthurl

I'm up and down on Love. At times he plays like Wilfork then other times he looks like Brace getting pushed around, where ever the OL wants him. This doesn't happen game to game or even series to series. Most of this comes within a series. I wouldn't want Love as a starter but as a sub or role player I'd rather have Love then Brace any day. Love isn't bad as a depth rotational player, in that regarded I'd say he's above average in the league, but yes if he gets major reps then he's just an average player at best unless he can consistently show up within each series

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Brace hasn't been a bust, he's had injury issues but played solid yet inconsistent when given the opportunity.  

It hurt us that he got hurt last year when we really needed him and were desperately thin up front.  

Maybe with a full camp and full health he could help us or even thrive at our thinnest position. 

After Wilfork and ancient Gerrard Warren there is nobody who is a rock against the run, Brace has that size and ability.  That's where hope resides, you can't teach 330 pounds...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Brace hasn't been a bust, he's had injury issues but played solid yet inconsistent when given the opportunity.   It hurt us that he got hurt last year when we really needed him and were desperately thin up front.   Maybe with a full camp and full health he could help us or even thrive at our thinnest position.  After Wilfork and ancient Gerrard Warren there is nobody who is a rock against the run, Brace has that size and ability.  That's where hope resides, you can't teach 330 pounds...
    Posted by wozzy

I'd say as a high 2nd round pick you'd expect by the time his rook contract runs out he'd be a starter or play significant reps.

Brace hasn't shown in any year that he's capable to play even a rotational role. He's been a JAG at best in his career which for a high 2nd rounder isn't good enough. That's based on his performance on the field when healthy not on injures so, to me that's bust.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

I'm pulling hard for Brace. Gotta support the BC guys but it definitely seems a make or break season for him and Cunningham.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Brace hasn't been a bust, he's had injury issues but played solid yet inconsistent when given the opportunity.   It hurt us that he got hurt last year when we really needed him and were desperately thin up front.   Maybe with a full camp and full health he could help us or even thrive at our thinnest position.  After Wilfork and ancient Gerrard Warren there is nobody who is a rock against the run, Brace has that size and ability.  That's where hope resides, you can't teach 330 pounds...
    Posted by wozzy

He's played solid when given the opportunity? Did you watch his first year? The guy played as if he was on roller skates - I didn't think it was possible for a guy that weighed 330 pounds to so consistently get pushed back on running plays...and of course he gave us nothing as a pass rusher. I mean how else can you measure a defensive lineman's play? He was terrible against both the run and the pass. I personally thought the guy played so bad that he had to be injured.

I thought he played better for a six game stretch his second season before going down with injury. And of course he gave us nothing last year. That =bust.

The reason I'm hopeful that he'll turn it around is because we need him as a defensive lineman and he did show for a very very small stretch that he could play. The question is will it happen?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: Ron Brace : He's played solid when given the opportunity? Did you watch his first year? The guy played as if he was on roller skates - I didn't think it was possible for a guy that weighed 330 pounds to so consistently get pushed back on running plays...and of course he gave us nothing as a pass rusher. I mean how else can you measure a defensive lineman's play? He was terrible against both the run and the pass. I personally thought the guy played so bad that he had to be injured. I thought he played better for a six game stretch his second season before going down with injury. And of course he gave us nothing last year. That =bust. The reason I'm hopeful that he'll turn it around is because we need him as a defensive lineman and he did show for a very very small stretch that he could play. The question is will it happen?
    Posted by mthurl

I remember a player who held his ground and not much else when he played. I'm not suggesting he is going to pull a 180 and become dominant but higher draft picks than he have been cut their first year removed from the draft and he is still around.  

Part of it might be wishful thinking on my part because we could really use another guy besides Wilfork who could actually hold up at nose tackle. Outside of Warren who is ancient we have nobody.

There's a high degree of probability that he and Cunningham are gone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I'm pulling hard for Brace. Gotta support the BC guys but it definitely seems a make or break season for him and Cunningham.
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33

He is a Mass kid as well. Springfield. Gotta hope for him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I also consider Brace not so much a bust as a guy who's been hindered by injuries.  I've seen him make contributions when healthy.  I'd like to see him have a healthy year if for no other reason than to see what he can do.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuPirate. Show PuPirate's posts

In Response to Re: Ron Brace : He is a Mass kid as well. Springfield. Gotta hope for him.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Just met this kid and his family at a cookout in Springfield. My bro's gf is a Brace, so I'm pulling for him. Raji got the hype but this kid got talent dont sleep.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Brace showed something when he wasn't hurt.  He may be a niche player/early down player as a run stopper, but he's a big body that can eat up blocks.  If they're gonna play more 4-3 you'd think he has a real shot if he can just stay healthy. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Reis, Brace motivated!

Since being drafted in the second round of the 2009 NFL draft, Patriots defensive lineman Ron Brace has had a non-descript start to his career.

He appeared in just seven games in 2011, the lowest such total of his three seasons, and finished with just four tackles.

The Patriots have added a number of pieces to their defensive line this offseason, and Brace is amongst those who appear on the bubble to make the active roster.

He’s off to a strong start in training camp, however, flashing impressive power in one-on-ones against the offensive line. His bulk and athleticism have stood out.

The lack of playing time last season has motivated Brace, as he told reporters on Tuesday afternoon, "If not playing doesn’t motivate a player, I don’t know what would."

Vince Wilfork will remain the Patriots' interior anchor along the defensive line in 2012, and other interior players who project to be in the mix for a spot on the roster and extensive playing time include Jonathan Fanene, Kyle Love, Myron Pryor, Gerard Warren, and Brandon Deaderick.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

Good for big brace...I can see him earing some time in camp as weel as making the team. I mean this time last year Kyle Love was a bubble guy who had a great camp and a good season why cant brace a 2nd rounder do the same. I can see him as a runstuffer at 3tech or 5tech and mayb start some games next to fork vs big time running teams ei dolphinss and jets...lets hope he keeps it up.

Sections
Shortcuts