Ron Erhardt RIP.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Ron Erhardt RIP.

Don't know if anyone else caught this amidst the Bountygate and Broadway Tim buzz, but Ron Erhardt passed away yesterday. 

Creator of the motto "Pass to score, run to win." 

Though his system was notorious for it's ability to change based on the talent the team had, it has survived in it's most basic aspects to this day. He was the father of the offensive system terminology that the Patriots still use to this day in from the tree Erhardt -> Weis -> McDaniels -> O'Brien. And the mentor of the Giants' Tom Coughlin who still uses this system as well. His offenses have been to 11 superbowls, and won seven (by my rough count).

He was OC and eventual HC of the Patriots for a brief tenure. His largest claim to fame is his two Superbowls as OC for the 1980's Giants. He coached Pittsburgh for a stretch, but left after a dispute with Bill Cowher over whether they should play Kordell Stewart (and I'm giving him a shout out here and now for being right on that one!). And had one last go under Rich Kotite and Parcells at the Jets before retiring in 1998. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Re: Ron Erhardt RIP.

Thread from yesterday

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3ae0c4cd16-8e77-4d0a-9119-e3dccf72ffdc

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

bump

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yeah, missed that thread. Still, wonder why there isn't much attention.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ipats. Show ipats's posts

Good post zbellino, and a nice tribute to Erhardt. It's pretty amazing the impact he has had on the Patriots franchise, even though he hasn't coached here in over 30yrs!

When you think about it, between his offense and the 3-4 that Fairbanks brought in '73, it's kind of funny that they do a lot of the same things today that they did 40yrs ago on both sides of the ball (with a few new wrinkles of course!).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Ron Erhardt RIP.:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, missed that thread. Still, wonder why there isn't much attention.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

zbellino~

Been avidly following and leisurely studying the game of football for as long as I can remember, and I gotta admit that unfortunate as it is, the depth of knowledge I have about Ron Erhardt, comes from His name ringing a bell + the info you provided in Post #1 right here...  I know we've been at direct odds over a few of The Pats Moves and basic policies, And I am sorry such trivialities has grown into heated arguments on matters of such miniscule importance really.  IF you personally have any more pretty d#mn cool & interesting info (even IF random) regarding Erhardt's implementing of this design, please throw em out for us; I'd like to know, and I'm sure I'm probably not the single football fan who actually thinks this stuff is pretty interesting. 

I dug the Run and Pass interweaving that'cha offered, BUT I'm seriously intrigued if ya happen to know anything extra in terms of what you were saying about Erhardt's schemes being extremely open and adaptable based on individuals, and the unique nuances from always differing groups personell on one's team at any given time...?  Any random in-depth or even broad basics in terms of the differing systems, schemes, players, ANY-thing- would be well appreciated...?  This is cool stuff...  Strategy nvt, ya know? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Ron Erhardt RIP.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ron Erhardt RIP. : zbellino ~ Been avidly following and leisurely studying the game of football for as long as I can remember, and I gotta admit that unfortunate as it is, the depth of knowledge I have about Ron Erhardt, comes from His name ringing a bell + the info you provided in Post #1 right here...  I know we've been at direct odds over a few of The Pats Moves and basic policies, And I am sorry such trivialities has grown into heated arguments on matters of such miniscule importance really.  IF you personally have any more pretty d#mn cool & interesting info (even IF random) regarding Erhardt's implementing of this design, please throw em out for us; I'd like to know, and I'm sure I'm probably not the single football fan who actually thinks this stuff is pretty interesting.  I dug the Run and Pass interweaving that'cha offered, BUT I'm seriously intrigued if ya happen to know anything extra in terms of what you were saying about Erhardt's schemes being extremely open and adaptable based on individuals, and the unique nuances from always differing groups personell on one's team at any given time...?  Any random in-depth or even broad basics in terms of the differing systems, schemes, players, ANY-thing- would be well appreciated...?  This is cool stuff...  Strategy nvt, ya know? 
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

I didn't think of it as heated, but I digress. 

Yeah, re: Erhardt, he got a reputation as "Ground Ron" his first few seasons in NY. But in reality, he actually loved to pass. If you listen to him, and I think this goes a long way to explain why BB does things on offense and defense the way he does, he was pretty clear late in the 80's with the Giants and later with the Steelers that when he ran a lot, it was because he had bad WRs and TEs. 

As such, looking at his trajectory, his offense opened up and closed up based on the personell that he had. At one point, it was incredibly open with the Giants and Steelers each. They were running the basic empty backfields and single back four wides, and with the Giants the 2TE setups NE has been running the last five seasons. 

It really looks like BB's philosophy we see here, where he likes to do the things he feels they do best the most, while trying to periphrally improve their versatility. Vice-versa, he likes to "take away" what the opponent does best. In short, like Erhardt ... BB tries to name the game and the rules of play before he will even agree to play. Really a great overall strategy .... real gamblers never gamble and never take risks, but always try to cultivate a "sure thing."

At that point people started calling him "Air Erhardt" in reference to "Air Coryell" that other system that the late 1970's birthed, along with the most notable "West Coast" and the least studied, but most ballyhooed (with Manning) Ted Marchibroda K-Gun/No Huddle, that people discuss as revolutionary every single time a Marchibroda "tree" guy starts running it. 

In essence, the Erhardt-Perkins offense is really a set of basic philosphies (passing early in the game to build leads, and sitting on leads by winding clock) play-naming protocols (using names instead of numbers). The latter part gives it it's complexity, as any play can be run from any number of formations. So a basic dive play by a RB can be modified to run from shotgun, single back, pro-set, etc, without even changing the personell. You can just audible at the line for the sake of giving the defense a different "look."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I recall Erhardt taking over the Pats head coaching duties when Fairbanks left. Or maybe he shared the job at the time with Hank Bullough and became head coach the next year. Either way, he was put in an impossible situation by the worst owners in sports at the time, unfortunately. Of course, they scapegoated him a short time later as was their style.

Fairbanks had quite the coaching tree just from his time with the Pats, Erhardt, Parcells, Red Miller, Ray Perkins, Ray Berry, Sam Rutigliano. Might be missing one or two (or misremembering...).

Sections
Shortcuts