Rookie and second year DBs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pochen23. Show pochen23's posts

Rookie and second year DBs

Give an honest evoluation on our rookie and second year DBs, and what you expect out of them next year?

Chung - I had high expectation when we drafted him, but I have not been watching every Pats game to get a fair look at him. I know DBs playing in BB's system usually take a year or two to develop, guys like Asante, Merriweather etc, but does he have the physical tools to be a pro-bowler one day? I consider Merriweather a high upside guy even tho he makes alot of mistakes, would you guys consider Chung to be similar? or would you guys consider Chung to be a middle of the road type of guy, guys like McGowan and James Sanders, who are solid but don't have the upside.

Butler - I believe he has all the physical tools to be a No.1 CBs when we drafted him. What do you guys think of him now after watching him play for a season. Do you think he will develop his play reading skill to better use his physical tools next season?

Wilhite - I see him having alot of speed and has decent agility to close up his mistakes. However, he doesn't seem to have any kind of ball skill. Alot of time he is right there with the WRs but couldn't make a play on the ball. Do you think it is something that he can overcome? Any upside at all? I see him as a perfect 3rd CB covering opponents' slot WR.

Wheatley - I haven't seen much of him at all. Does he even play? any upside?

Assuming we resign Bodden and keep Spring as a veteran presence, do you think we can move forward with this secondary next season? I think alot depends on Butler's development. I do hope Chung can eventually develop into a star.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Re: Rookie and second year DBs

Can move forward in the secondary? The Pats were very strong this year there. 

Chung-Rookie with very limited playing time. When he did play he did a very good job, solid tackler and will do very well down the road in Bills D. He has huge upside I would say as high maybe higher than Brandons cieling. 

Butler-Will be a shutdown corner in this league soon enough.

Wilhite-Horrible

Wheatley-See Whilite

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Chung - Didn't see enough to make a call.  We'll see next year.

Butler - Does not turn his head which means he can't make play on ball (Ala Revis).  Seem he can't anticipate when the ball is coming....not good if you want a long career in the NFL as a DB.  We'll see next year.

Wilhite and Wheatley - Just two more examples of what a horrible draft we had 2 years ago.  Cut them both.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Chung he will be much better than merri is
    Butler this guy will be better than Asante was for us.  He is solid and will be a shut down guy who will not leave his assignment to try to get an INT

The Ws as I call them, throw them both away in a package deal for unemployment haha but they are worthless

Bodden must sign, Springs get him out he will be a major cancer in the locker room next year you saw it here first.

Draft one guy bring in a FA to take over #3

Way I see it let the critics begin:
    Bodden #1 (until game 8 then Butler becomes 1)
    Butler #2 (see above)
    Sign Roderick Hood as #3
    #4 and #5 draft picks
    Donavan Warren 2nd rnd
    Devin McCourty 4th rnd

Safeties
    SS Chung
    FS Sanders
    Would like to see Atari Bigby signed as SS but that's not a reality.  Think we go in with three safeties or four if they draft one in late rounds
    Merri sits, McGowan is released, see if he laughs after that as well.
    maybe draft a Robert Johnson to develop into a FS of the future.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

I AGREE WILHITE AND WHEATELY- CUT. SO FAR BUTLER, CONTRIBUTED LITTLE. AND, WHAT'S THIS "DBS TAKE LONGER TO DEVELOP IN BB SYSTEM"??? NONSENSE, THEIR PERFORMANCE AT THE COMBINES SHOULD REVEAL ENOUGH. NFL TEAMS DON'T DRAFT A PLAYER, THINKING IT WILL TAKE 2,3 YEARS FOR A DRAFT CHOICE TO CONTRIBUTE. PATRIOTS NEED TO DRAFT 2 THIS YEAR. WHAT ABOUT ARRINGTON? SAFEY POSITION- BESIDE ALL THE LBS THAT SHOULD BE DRAFTED, ( OR FA SIGNED), TAYLOR MAYS 6'3", 215 LBS ( ALMOST A RODNEY CLONE), USC, SHOULD BE, WITH ONE OF THE FIRST 3 CHOICES BY BB. HE DOES IT ALL, DEFEND THE PASS, VISCOUS TACKLE, SPEED, POWERFUL, SAVY, AND SHOULD BE A TEAM LEADER, AND AN IMMEDIATE ALL-PRO. MERI IS IMPROVING (MATURING) STEADILY. CHUNG- DIDNT' DO MUCH, ONE INT BUT SPENT A LOT OF TIME IN THE LOCAL TATOO PARLORS, BESIDES HIS CELEBRATING ABILITIES. APPEARS VERY IMMATURE.  SANDERS AND MCGOWAN IN RESERVE 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I have no Idea how good the secondary was since Qb's were given enough time to drop back and have a smoke, drink some tea, and then pass the ball.  No secondary in the NFL can cover for that long, maybe they will have a chance next year. 

Bodden and Springs looked good, Butler has some skills but wasn't looking for the ball.  Overall I don't think this area should be the focus of the team this offseason.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

shenanigan is right. The number one priorty this off season is to get a pass rush. The defense will come together after that. The DBs won't be having to cover as long, we will be able to get the defense off the field faster, and they won't all be gassed by the 4th quarter.
     After that they can concentrate on the offense a little bit so that we can sustain some drives, score TDs in the redzone, control the clock, and keep the defense fresh.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

I don't understand how wilhite can keep so close to the receiver and still not make a play on the ball!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

To Pats7393-Meriweather plays SS. The Pats SS is basically their FS and vice versa. Thats why he has been balloted as a SS and the Pats really dont have a generic SS like say the rest of the league does. 

Meriweather for example plays the deep thirds/ plays in the box/blitzes/ doubles WR

McGowan/Sanders/Chung-Play and cover the TE while as well playing in the box.

Meriweather's place on this is set in stone he played top 2 safety football in the beginning of the year. Towards the latter half he played terrible and I really wonder if that was due to injury or coaches fault because I remember an article about Brandon and Dean talking about the faults in his game so far.  Anyways enough excuses Brandon towards the latter half (started the NO game) sucked.

Brandon and Chung are the future at safety. While Butler/Bodden will be terrific starters. Lock up Bodden/Wilfork on the defensive side of the ball and draft another corner in the third (if they trade for one).or fourth. Then say either sign an elvis dumervil to that restricted deal and give up the first and third or go with one of the young pass rushers in this years draft (sergio/hughes/Pierre-Paul) work. Those things happen D is fixed and the Pats are probably going to have this plan going in. 

The D needs to find its leader. Wilfork/Mayo/Meriweather/Chung need to all step up to the plate. Brady cant play two sides of the ball.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

pan thanks but I know he's the SS, my point is he should not be next season.  When a safety on his fourth year who learned from one of the best in the business still bites on play action and gets burned can't be the starting safety.

He's the last line of defense, when he is three or four yards behind a receiver something went really wrong and often did.

Maybe he comes in packages that are set against stopping the run but on passing downs or against teams like NO, Colts ect he is too much of a liability. 

I don't know why Sanders is dismissed and not talked about, honestly I think he is not a super star but the guy just plays football and is around the ball.  Was he injured this season?  Did he just not extend prior to the beginning of the 2009 season?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Pats7393, Sanders got a 3 yr extension just before last season.  And yes, he brings great leadership to the D when he is in.  He is not spectacular, a star or anything like that.  But he is solid and improves our D

Pancakes, u really would give up a 1st and 3rd PLUS sign Elvis for a huge contract?  So glad u dont run our team, cause u would run it into the ground.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Am I really reading comments about benching Meriweather and talk about not giving up yet? Laughable.  Guy makes young player mistakes but is an emerging star safety.  He will play every snap he is healthy for the next 8 years.  Period.

By the way, he only got burned badly on play action once this year...He got flack for the play in the Saints game that turned out to NOT be his responsibility.  Watch the games to see how many big plays he prevented with his closing speed.  Guy's 25.  Unbelievable.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

I'd be willing to roll with the exact same crew that we have this year IF we get a pass rush.

Resign Bodden, start Butler. Wilhite slot.  Sanders/Merriweather @ Safeties, with Chung in reserve.

If we draft Kindle, Graham, Hughes etc., and sign Wilfork. And hopefully get someone who can replace Guyton, like Spikes or an FA and I think our D will be fine. Who knows, maybe Tyrone Mckenzie comes out of nowhere to be a stud.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"I think most ppl who are against Merriweather look at 3 things. 1) the Ray Rice run in the playoffs, ppl believe he took a bad angle and should have stopped him after 10 yards. 2) the saints play that we all know. 3) the laughing in the locker room after the bad loss.

IMO he is a star in the making and this was really his second year as a starter. I give him alot of benefit of the doubt, but there are ppl who watch every game think he was horrible late in the season. I have no problem with him at all honestly."

Too inconsistent.  For every really good play he makes, he botches another one.  Your numbers 1 and 2 being the most memorable.  The 3rd point you make is what bothers me the most though.  Either you care greatly about winning or losing, or you don't.  That's not something you learn as you gain experience.  I can't see guys like Harrison or Bruschi laughing it up after a loss or sitting by idly while a young teammate did.  I think that is the sign of the Pats biggest problem right now. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

pye yes you saw posts (mine) about benching Merri, if you say he only had three bad plays then you were not watching the same games I was.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Wheatley:  Literally limited upside as he won't grow any taller than 5'9".  Small guys get injured more than big guys. He'll never last a full season.  That said, when he's fast and not injured he can fill in.  Picked in bottom of second round, worth somewhat less than where he was picked, so bop some responsible person on the scouting staff with a nerf ball.  No more drafting Chris Canty, please.

Wilhite:  At least he's 5'11".  Picked at bottom of 4th round.  Fairly valued in the draft, considering that half of all 4th rounders don't pan out.

Rookies can still surprise or get injured, but so far, Butler and Chung are probably fairly valued.  They have raw physical tools but little polish in this league.

No one here is the steal of the draft.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

Asante was a fourth round pick and didn't become the starter until half way through his second year because of injuries to the starting corners (poole and law). His third season was the first year he was named the starter prior to beginning the year and it wasn't until his 4th year that he became the shutdown corner he is now.

So whoever said players dont need time to develop is wrong and those who love to give up on guys after 1-2 years are wrong as well. Wilhite and Wheatly may be horrible the rest of their short careers or they may develop into Asante Samuels, none of us really know what they will be in a year or two. But at the least they should be given another training camp before any decisions are made.

I love how guys choose to remember only what they want and not the whole story or timeline.

Sections
Shortcuts