Ross Tucker on BB's Approach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Ross Tucker on BB's Approach

Bedard laid out a similar column on Sunday and here's an out of market analysis on how NE takes on FA in conjunction with the draft. I underlined a few statements that are absolutely on point.

Patriots prefer contrarian approach

When it comes to free agency, New England not afraid to break the mold

Originally Published: March 20, 2012
    By Ross Tucker | ESPN.com

Although most of the focus during the initial free-agent frenzy is on the big names and the gigantic contracts that they sign, the New England Patriots managed to stay way under the radar. They made a number of value signings that they believe will upgrade their roster for 2012.

Most teams make a run at some of the elite players available, such as Mario Williams, Peyton Manning or Vincent Jackson, or sit out the first week entirely until the prices supposedly come down and they can value shop later on in free agency.

Not the Pats. They went after some of those so-called second-tier and second-week players right from the start, a strategy that I think is brilliant. Who says just because a player isn't a marquee name or won't command more than $10 million in guarantees that you have to wait until the second week of free agency to pursue him? Nobody.

Almost immediately, New England went after and signed free agents it had targeted, such as defensive lineman Jonathan Fanene, safety Steve Gregory, pass-rusher Trevor Scott, wide receivers Anthony Gonzalez and Brandon Lloyd, and offensive lineman Robert Gallery. The Pats went immediately to the bargain aisle while most of the other teams were fighting over the fancy new releases for the upcoming fall season.

[+] EnlargeLloyd
    AP Photo/Tom GannamThe Patriots didn't spend wildly, but they got a quality receiver in Brandon Lloyd.

Why is it such a smart move? Because the Patriots understand the inherent insecurity of NFL players who are not among the elite. They know that players like Fanene, Gregory and Scott are nervous about the amount of interest they will generate on the open market and are keenly aware of their mortality as football players.

Fact is, there is another side of free agency that many people never even think about. The 200 or so players who simply never get signed by a team again. Their contracts for last season expired, and they will never even get another opportunity because there aren't any teams with a desire to sign them. Happens all the time. They don't retire. They are retired. Their roster spots are filled by some of the close to 300 players who will be selected in April's draft and thus their careers end without being released or suffering an injury.

That's not to say Gregory and the rest of the Patriots' signings were in that category. Clearly, they were not. But they are the type of players who were probably a little worried about what the level of interest would be in them. The unknown is a very scary thing for NFL players who aren't under contract, and the thought had to cross their minds at some point that they might be staring a minimum contract offer in the face at some point in March.

Fortunately for them, the Patriots came calling early. My guess is the players were flattered by that, and when the Patriots made an offer, they jumped at it rather than waiting to see whether a better one might come along.

Now, is it a fair critique that the Patriots didn't sign many (any?) difference-makers who could put them over the top and that they would be better served by going after a more high-profile free agent? Perhaps, and I can certainly understand fans who would feel that way. But if you have already made the decision that you aren't going to go that route, why wait until the second week of free agency to get the players you are interested in under contract?

You shouldn't, the Pats didn't, and as a result, they got their targeted guys. Now only time will tell the impact those signings will have on the 2012 season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

Re: Ross Tucker on BB's Approach

great article, Mike Riess recently wrote an article on the Pats FA philosophy as well, can't find it, but basically said the most successful teams of recent, it was a short list with NE and Pitt, few others, build the middle of their team through FA and the elite players through the draft.  I think thats what we saw this year so far, the fact that we've done it so efficienlty only helps.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

BB's strategy as a GM is very sound. It's the actual excecution that is too often lacking.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

BB has also given the Pats the luxury of not needing to make big FA splashes b/c of the depth he has assembled.  By making the smart moves outlined in the article the Pats are able upgrade their few area's of need and seemingly by doing very little remain at the head of class.

It is really the epitome of executing an organizational philosophy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to Re: Ross Tucker on BB's Approach:
    BB's strategy as a GM is very sound. It's the actual excecution that is too often lacking.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Any statistics to back that up or just more anecdotal mumbo jumbo?

Year in and year out he ends up with one of the best records in the league and often in the SB. So they always end up with a very low draft slot. Yet he ends up costantly putting together superior teams. His teams always have more depth than almost any other. He doesnt panic and get greedy and end up in the hole with cap numbers. He is smart and not only does he ahve a good strategy, he follows it through and is hugely successful. Hugely. Not decent. Not Good. Not fairly successful. Hugely.

So where are your STATISTICS to back up your endless rant...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Babe tries to compliment, but then he'll try to sneak in a statement that contradicts the compliment. It comes off like a backhanded compliment. 

In this example here, he uses the words "execution" and "lacking" and tries to run away without explaining what that even means, hoping no one will notice. To this day, he still hasn't provided us with who has been better in the cap era.

Do not trust people who speak out of both sides of their mouths, folks.

Babe's premise is that the only reason why BB looks good is because of Brady, which is inherently wrong supported by 2 examples:  2008 and SB 46.

In each of these cases, where Brady wasn't a factor, it's proof it isn't JUST about Brady.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Parelli getting exposed on a regular basis these days. This is just plain old good reading!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Another good article.. BB the GM is often overlooked because he's the best coach in the NFL.. He's also the best GM too. He gets the right guys more often then not and then they become better players because of his coaching.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

Its always nice having someoen write an article about how smart or well managed the team we root for is lol.  Its like... "SEE?! THEY SEE IT TOO!"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Parelli getting exposed on a regular basis these days. This is just plain old good reading!
    Posted by TrueChamp

It's not hard to expose the trolls with the agendas.  lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

Posted by BabeParilli

Another Super bowl appearance---terrible execution

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Ross Tucker on BB's Approach : Any statistics to back that up or just more anecdotal mumbo jumbo? Year in and year out he ends up with one of the best records in the league and often in the SB. So they always end up with a very low draft slot. Yet he ends up costantly putting together superior teams. His teams always have more depth than almost any other. He doesnt panic and get greedy and end up in the hole with cap numbers. He is smart and not only does he ahve a good strategy, he follows it through and is hugely successful. Hugely. Not decent. Not Good. Not fairly successful. Hugely. So where are your STATISTICS to back up your endless rant...
    Posted by portfolio1

He puts up good teams with Brady as QB. Most anybody can put up a good team with the elite QB.

Most any baseball manager could make a good batting lineup if it had Babe Ruth in it.

Funny how all the elite QBs are on "good" teams, ain't it?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Ross Tucker on BB's Approach : Another Super bowl appearance---terrible execution
    Posted by Evil2012

Yeah, Tom has gone to 5 SBs in 10 years when starting. Remakable. Now, if he had a good D he would have won the last 2 SBs. Contact BB on that part.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

NE's D was "ranked" #1 in 2007.

You lose again, rubelips.  You just can't get out of your own way in this little web you've spun, can you?

You have you and trolls aligning to form a moronship never before seen on the interwebs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

The defense in 2007 was not nearly as good as the stats said.  The offense completely obliterated other team's gameplans and forced the opposition into a one dimensional offense. 

I think an argument was made about a good statistical defense being terrible in 2009 by Russ in some other threads.  You can't have it both ways.

Defense come crunch time hasn't been able to shut the door for a long while now...that is on the coaching staff (I despised Pees) and the defensive players.  Their offensive philosophy hasn't helped them either in those tight spots.  There's enough blame all the way around.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

In Response to Re: Ross Tucker on BB's Approach : He puts up good teams with Brady as QB. Most anybody can put up a good team with the elite QB. Most any baseball manager could make a good batting lineup if it had Babe Ruth in it. Funny how all the elite QBs are on "good" teams, ain't it?
    Posted by BabeParilli

the patriots went 11-5 with a career backup QB.

Brady adds 2-3 wins per season, but the team as a whole under BB is a 10 win team almost every year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

I think BB FA signing are great, but some of his draft picks before that last two years didn't work so well but this happens to every team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

What about the Matt Cassel year?  Granted, soft schedule, veteran team.  But they missed the playoffs at 11-5.  There is more to what's going on in New England than just Tom Brady although he is undoubtedly a huge part of it.   

BB has made some terrible picks as a GM, no doubt.  But I agree with those who say that ultimately the final product is what matters, and the Pats aren't afraid to cast off high draft picks who aren't working out in favor of the Sterling Moores, Ninkoviches and Dane Fletchers of the world.  Find a coach who can "coach up" players better than BB.  

The fact that they got to and were 1 or 2 plays away from winning the Superbowl with such a patchwork secondary last year is amazing.  Amazing.      

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

The defense in 2007 was not nearly as good as the stats said.  The offense completely obliterated other team's gameplans and forced the opposition into a one dimensional offense.  I think an argument was made about a good statistical defense being terrible in 2009 by Russ in some other threads.  You can't have it both ways. Defense come crunch time hasn't been able to shut the door for a long while now...that is on the coaching staff (I despised Pees) and the defensive players.  Their offensive philosophy hasn't helped them either in those tight spots.  There's enough blame all the way around.
    Posted by Ytsejamer1

That's why I posted it.  "Ranked".   No one would ever have thought NE's 2007 D was "ranked" #1 but it was.  Yards allowed are the most meaningless stat of all the defensive stats.

It just shows NE's "10th ranked" 2008 D or 2011's "31 ranked" D are really misleading.

Heck. I'd take the 2011 D over the 2005 D.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

In 07' the Pats had the # 1 defense???  I didnt know that. You talking YPG, or Points allowed. Either way, I believe we were 4th. I think the Colts gave up less  points per game than we did that year....can u post a link with the stats?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

First and most importantly, good paste n post, Rusty.  Good read and helpful in understanding the Pats approach under BB.

Secondly, Babe routinely dismisses 2008 as an aberration.  I guess the thinking there is that if you don't have a good response simply dismiss the other guy's point of view as valueless.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Ross Tucker on BB's Approach : He puts up good teams with Brady as QB. Most anybody can put up a good team with the elite QB. Most any baseball manager could make a good batting lineup if it had Babe Ruth in it. Funny how all the elite QBs are on "good" teams, ain't it?
    Posted by BabeParilli

If Brady had been picked by Cincy or Cleveland or Buffalo or some other bottom feeder in 2000, would that franchise be where the Patriots are today?  Would those head coaches be regarded like Belichick is today? Would they still be coaching those teams? I don't even know off the top of my head who those guys were, but I know the answer.

If Joe Montana had been drafted by the Patriots in 1979, what would he have become? Certainly not Joe Cool. It is likely he never would have sniffed a title not to mention the Hall of Fame.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Maybe it was #4?   It was ranked pretty high.  Like I said, I was just putting that on there to show how dumb the "ranked" thing is.

2008s was "10th". That's stunning to me if true.  2009's actually featured a good run D, one that led the NFL with Minny (if I am remebering correctly), but the pass D was not consistent at all. We had no pass rush to speak of whatsoever.

2010 pass rush improved a bit, 2011 it was better, but 3rd down was worse, which IMO, had a lot do wti the lockout and offenses being way ahead of Ds and each D's continuity. This is why the usual suspects (Pitt, Balt, etc) were leading the pack again.   The Jets meanwhile got WORSE due to losing some continuity on their D.

D's that had continuity and talent (SF, Houston) ascended because they had both going for them.  We had no continuity at all in the secondary due to new bodies (again, for various reasons) or injury/releases (Dowling, Bodden).

But, no way on earth the 2008 or 2009 D was better than 2011s.  No way. Anyone who believes that never watched those 2008 and 2009 seasons.

Edit:  Yep. NE ended up "ranked" 4th in 2007, likely due to those higher scoring games in December that year.  3rd?   INdy.

This is what I mean.  The "ranked" talk is for maroons who don't understand football.

Worst argument ever is ranking a D based on yards allowed.  Obviously, you don't want that to be your goal, but by no means is it relevant in today;s NFL game.

Every single aspect of this game, every year now, is slanted to favor offense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

In Response to Re: Ross Tucker on BB's Approach : If Brady had been picked by Cincy or Cleveland or Buffalo or some other bottom feeder in 2000, would that franchise be where the Patriots are today?  Would those head coaches be regarded like Belichick is today? Would they still be coaching those teams? I don't even know off the top of my head who those guys were, but I know the answer. If Joe Montana had been drafted by the Patriots in 1979, what would he have become? Certainly not Joe Cool. It is likely he never would have sniffed a title not to mention the Hall of Fame.
    Posted by Muzwell

Every great QB had a great coach.  They always go hand in hand. But, this is why Babe tries to be sneaky and concede BB is ONLY a great coach and only a measly "average" GM.

He knows he can't get away with not saying BB is a great coach, because he would lose his trolling ability here.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Thats fair, I will have to disagree about 08' in comparison to 11'

Sure our defense picked up in the playoffs last year, but we were horrible ALL regular season in getting off the field.

In 2008, our defense, despite having guys like Deltha O'neal atleast had the ability to get off the field and their effectiveness to me, allowed Cassel to win some games.

If you had Cassel playing QB for us LAST year, I doubt we make the playoffs.

Sections
Shortcuts