Roster cuts happening now

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Roster cuts happening now

The New England Patriots have announced the following transactions on Monday, August 26, 2013.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Patriots made a series of roster moves in anticipation of tomorrow’s mandatory NFL cut-down to a 75-man roster.

The Patriots announced that they have re-signed rookies CB Stephon Morris and DL Scott Vallone. Morris was originally signed by the Patriots on May 3, 2013, and released on Aug, 1, 2013. Vallone was originally signed by the Patriots on Aug. 1, 2013 and released on Aug. 19, 2013.

Additionally, the Patriots released first-year WR

Kamar Aiken, rookie CB Brandon Jones, nine-year veteran LB Niko Koutouvides, second-year CB LeQuan Lewis and rookie LS Mike Zupancic.

The Patriots also placed rookie DL Cory Grissom and second-year T Markus Zusevics on injured reserve, and placed first-year DL Armond Armstead and rookie WR Mark Harrison on the reserve/non-football injury list.

Morris, 22, played in 49 games with 24 starts during his college career at Penn State. The 5-foot-8, 190-pounder, finished with 148 tackles, one interception and 13 passes defensed.

Vallone, 23, was a four-year starter at defensive tackle for Rutgers. The 6-foot-3, 275-pounder, appeared in two games as a true freshman in 2008 before undergoing season-ending surgery and was redshirted. During his four-years as a starter, Vallone recorded 195 total tackles and 8½ sacks.

Aiken, 24, originally joined the New England practice squad on Nov. 19, 2012. The 6-foot-2, 215-pounder, spent some time on the 53-man roster last year, playing in one game at Jacksonville on Dec. 23. He originally entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with Buffalo out of Central Florida in 2011 and began his rookie season on the Buffalo practice squad before being signed to the 53-man roster in November. Aiken was released by Buffalo after training camp last summer and spent time on the practice squads of both Buffalo and Chicago before joining the New England practice squad.

Jones, 23, played in 13 games with 12 starts as a senior, posting 31 tackles, nine passes defensed and a team-leading five interceptions. The 6-1, 187-pounder was also a standout special teams player during his time at Rutgers.

Koutouvides, 32, is a veteran of nine NFL seasons, including two (2011-2012) with New England. He played in each of the final 14 games of the Patriots’ 2012 season and both postseason games. The 6-foot-2, 245-pounder registered eight special teams tackles and one tackle on defense in the regular season and one special teams tackle in the postseason. Koutouvides originally signed with New England on Aug. 14, 2011, but was released when the team trimmed the roster to 53 prior to the start of the season. He returned to the team at midseason and played in 11 games and all three postseason games.

Koutouvides was originally drafted by the Seattle Seahawks in the fourth round (116th overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft out of Purdue. He played four seasons with the Seahawks before signing with the Denver Broncos as an unrestricted free agent on March 3, 2008. He was released by the Broncos after the 2008 season and signed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers a few weeks later, where he spent the next two seasons. In nine NFL seasons, Koutouvides has played in 125 games with three starts and has 63 total tackles and 118 special teams tackles.

Lewis, 24, was signed by New England on Aug. 12, 2013. He played in 8 NFL games in 2012 with three games with the Dallas Cowboys and five games with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The 5-foot-11, 190-pounder, originally entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with Tennessee out of Arizona State in 2011. Lewis was released by Tennessee following training camp and spent the season out of football. He spent part of the 2012 offseason with Oakland before being signed by the New York Jets in August. Lewis spent time on the Jets practice squad before being signed to the Dallas 53-man roster, where he played in three games, registering one tackle. After being released by Dallas, Lewis rotated between the Tampa Bay practice squad and 53-man roster, playing in five games and registering three tackles and one interception. Lewis was signed by Chicago in February of 2013 and was released on May 13, 2013.

Zupancic, 23, originally joined New England as a rookie free agent out of Eastern Michigan on May 3, 2013 and was released on August 2, 2013 before being re-signed on Aug. 5. The 6-foot-5, 260-pounder, earned three letters as the team’s long snapper.

http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/Patriots-make-a-series-of-roster-moves/f042cb78-552f-4f8b-b294-967c86bf7afc

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Roster cuts happening now

Down to 77, 2 more cuts coming.  Waiting to cut Tebow after Giants game?

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

BB might let him go today to give him a shot at starting for another team who are desperate (Bills?) or give him one last shot on Thursday at the Giants game. But, he's going to have to really make a showing of it on Thursday because 1 for 7 with -1yrds and an int isn't going to do it

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

BB might let him go today to give him a shot at starting for another team who are desperate (Bills?) or give him one last shot on Thursday at the Giants game. But, he's going to have to really make a showing of it on Thursday because 1 for 7 with -1yrds and an int isn't going to do it

Call me Crazy, I still believe he makes the 53.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Wouldnt that be great if Tebow was on the Bills for the opener!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Wouldnt that be great if Tebow was on the Bills for the opener!

I'm not sure who I'd want more to compete against. Tebow or Tuel...... It might be Tebow

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I'd call you crazy just for conversation's sake but you may very well be right.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

CRAZY

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Tebow definitely stays til after the Giants game. If for no other reason but so TB12  dont have to take any snaps if Mallet gets injured.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Tebow was brought here to see if he could play well enough for the PATS to trade him for a serviceable player, back up TE, back up Guard...a bench guy.

Now that Tebow has shown he can't play there is no reason to keep this thing going any longer, I hope it ends by 4 pm tomorrow.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Which experiment was worse? Tebow or Duane Starks?

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Crazy like a fox!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

They can cut 2 more JAGs before Tebow.  As Quagmire said, just to have a 3rd QB on the roster and make sure TB doesn't have to play under any circumstances.  I'm pretty sure these are Tebow's last days ever in the NFL.  I can't see any team picking him up now, even with a severe QB emergency.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

Crazy like a fox!!

I think he stays....given his actual NFL track record of wins, right now, based on what I've seen out of Mallet this preseason, I'd feel better with TT at the QB slot in a pinch than Mallet...It's entirely up to Mallet to change that...

I'm far more concerned with DT right now than the QB slot...if Brady goes down, we is DONE!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:

CRAZY

Thank you!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to nyjetssuc's comment:

Crazy like a fox!!

I think he stays....given his actual NFL track record of wins, right now, based on what I've seen out of Mallet this preseason, I'd feel better with TT at the QB slot in a pinch than Mallet...It's entirely up to Mallet to change that...

I'm far more concerned with DT right now than the QB slot...if Brady goes down, we is DONE!!!

I'm not sure what you have been smoking but please pass it. After a 1 of 7 -1yrd and int performance and a 17.7 QBR with 25% completion rating in 2 preseason games you feel better about TT then Mallett? I think this needs some explaination

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

Crazy like a fox!!

I'm not sure what you have been smoking but please pass it. After a 1 of 7 -1yrd and int performance and a 17.7 QBR with 25% completion rating in 2 preseason games you feel better about TT then Mallett? I think this needs some explaination

I think TT's performance during this preseason has SUCKED...lol...to put it plainly...but so has Mallet's...based on what I've witnessed so far this camp Mallet isn't worth a #1 or #2 draft choice at all.....TT has actually won NFL games and has made it to the playoffs....has Mallet? How many games has Mallet started in the NFL? ZERO, that's how many...plainly put, TT has won real games in the NFL, Mallet has not.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Ras I downling is back in the practices, he should play against the Giants do u think this is his last chance to prove himself and make the final 53?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Crazy like a fox!!

I think TT's performance during this preseason has SUCKED...lol...to put it plainly...but so has Mallet's...based on what I've witnessed so far this camp Mallet isn't worth a #1 or #2 draft choice at all.....TT has actually won NFL games and has made it to the playoffs....has Mallet? How many games has Mallet started in the NFL? ZERO, that's how many...plainly put, TT has won real games in the NFL, Mallet has not.....

We don't have Denver's defense, don't act like Tebow won ANY of those games. The Broncos won a game against The Chiefs with Tebow only completing 4 passes, just 4!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

i think bb has already decided that he's made the cut and is a long-term project (at least for this year)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

Ras I downling is back in the practices, he should play against the Giants do u think this is his last chance to prove himself and make the final 53?

Nope, he'll stick it out. Dennard did him a favor.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotrain. Show patriotrain's posts

tebow out, dowling in

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

Nope, he'll stick it out. Dennard did him a favor.

It`s difficult to trust this guy, he can`t even stay health in the training camp but IFFFF(that`s a big if) he stays health, he could be an upgrade in the outside corner position, Dennard could play inside due to his lack of size and we will have a great CB group.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Another player that returned to the field is Cunningham.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

JaMarcus Russell has won games in the NFL we should get him, it's to bad we missed out on Leinart he won games in the NFL too. NYjetssuc, sorry man but TT didn't win the majority of his 7-5 record in 11' that would be on his D and his kicker. But if you really want a QB who's won and won even more playoff games then Tebow just wait for the end of the year Sanchez will be available. Heck we might even be able to trade for him now. A QB's record can be very misleading and doesn't pass the eye test when it boils down to it. Surprisingly enough no rookie or most backups (like Brady was once) have ever won a NFL game until they start one

Sections
Shortcuts