Roster Locks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Roster Locks?

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/08/four_potential_patriots_roster_locks_we_didnt_see.html

Who are the roster locks?

"

Right around the start of camp, we introduced a little exercise meant to determine some of the most sneaky important members of the Pats summer roster. Now that the Pats are halfway through their preseason slate, we can shift gears a little bit and examine what players have sneaked up on us and made themselves legit candidates to start the season against the Dolphins on the 53-man roster. There's still plenty of time for moves to be made and the first round of cuts have yet to take place. But should any of the following names wind up making the trip to Miami, don't be surprised.

Brian Tyms, WR: Quick, if you had the choice of Tyms or second-year man Josh Boyce to fill out the Pats receiving corps, who would it be? You're entitled to your opinion but the correct answer is Tyms, who has accomplished more in three weeks of training camp than Boyce has in over a year. Tyms added another TD reception to his list of summer accomplishments on Friday night, this one a leaping grab of a high toss from Ryan Mallett which required the 6-3 receiver to go well up and over Eagles corner Curtis Marsh and snare the ball at its highest point. Tyms, who brought to mind another tall, rangy receiver from the Pats not too distant past on that play, has eight catches for 146 yards and two scores in two preseason games and has even seen some run with Tom Brady and the first-teamers during practice, a stunner given the former undrafted free agent's road to Foxborough. Tyms' size makes him an intriguing red zone option as well as a enticing potential target for Brady outside the numbers, two areas which, along with free agent import Brandon LaFell, make him an ideal complement to the Pats multitude of receiving threats in the middle of the field. The fact that Tyms must serve a four-game suspension to start the season will ultimately help him as the Pats won't have to make a decision on his roster status until after the Week 4 Monday nighter in Kansas City. Plenty of time for Boyce to continue proving that Tyms should take his place among the Pats pass catchers.

Jordan Devey, OL: Devey, a former undrafted free agent who cut his teeth on the Pats practice squad last season, played every last one of the team's 91 offensive snaps in Friday night's win over the Eagles, inserting himself seriously into the discussion regarding one of the most competitive, intriguing position battles of training camp. He's can play both guard and tackle which instantly makes him an appealing option for a roster spot given the Pats love of versatility in their offensive linemen. There's still a long way to go for Devey given the presence of veterans Ryan Wendell, Dan Connolly, Josh Kline and Marcus Cannon and draft picks Jon Halapio, Cameron Fleming and Bryan Stork. But now that Stork's absence has passed the the two-week mark thanks to an injury, the relative inexperience of Halapio and Fleming, and Devey's multi-faceted skill set, his chances of beating the odds and making the team feel pretty good.

Roy Finch, RB/KR: Probably the longest shot of this group to make the team, Finch has still turned enough heads thus far to give some real weight to his candidacy. He's a dynamic threat out of the backfield whose running style is fast, tough and elusive all at once. He practically jumped through the TV screen during the win over the Eagles, combining for 71 yards rushing and receiving on just nine touches and scoring a 10-yard TD on the ground. He also posted a couple of impressive kick returns and while he did seem a bit lost in pass protection at times, that's a skill most rookies struggle with and can be worked out. Finch could be in danger of getting caught in a numbers game; he's not going to beat out Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen or even fellow rookie James White for a job. If there's a place for a fourth running back, it''s going to come down to Finch vs. third-year man Brandon Bolden, who had been invisible all summer until ripping off a handful of rushing attempts at seven yards a pop on Friday. The safest bet for Finch at the moment would be the practice squad. But keep an eye on him. He's a potentially a dangerous, versatile weapon.

Malcolm Butler, CB: The non-sneakiest of the group, Butler has been the darling of training camp and is well established on the radar screen. He continued his impressive, playmaking work against the Eagles, forcing a fumble then recovering it seconds later and adding in an end zone pass breakup as well. Butler has played more snaps than any other member of the defense in the Pats two preseason games thus far and considering both Brandon Browner's impending suspension as well as the team's use of traditional corners Kyle Arrington and Logan Ryan at safety at times, the undrafted rookie out of West Alabama feels like not only a lock to make the team but to see some significant regular season game action as well.

"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Roster Locks?

With the way this team manages their roster I'd expect all four to bounce on and off the roster at various points this season. I think Finch is most definitely the long shot do to the guys in front of him, but he's looked good. Tyms I would of thought would be a no shot player, even with his production, but I read somewhere that he ran a 40 in the 4.3-4.4 range, if that is true then his production my not be just a mirage. Butler looks like he may make it - the Browner suspension will help his cause - and I have no clue on Devey.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

None of the 4 players in the previously mentioned article are locks.  Butler is the closest thing, and I think he will make the team, but I wouldn't call him a "lock."  Tyms will probably stick at least through his suspension.  At that point, if he is still showing well in practice he could make it.  I still don't think Devey makes it, even though he is playing a ton.  I'm pulling for Finch, but he is also a long-shot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Loved Tyms fight for the ball. It's something we didn't see from Thompkins, Boyce, or Dobson last year. He's had a couple good games but I want to see him against #1's and 2's. The good thing is he doesn't take up a roster spot until week 5 so they can keep him on the roster and postpone the decision for now. But, his size and ability looks intriguing enough to the point if he continues weeks 1-4 might become extended interviews for Boyce and Thompkins and the loser gets the boot. Tyms also isn't a rook so he should stay fresh all year, esp only playing 12 games this year.

Finch is going to make the team if he has a repeat performance of last week. BB has been looking for a KR for a long time and starting Finch twice in that role, even after 2 fumbles in the first game means BB sees something. Everyone knows BB treats STs players like starters on O/D so if he feels he finally found a way to fix the KR issue we've had for years he'll find a way to keep him on the team.

Butler has been the shock of the preseason and 1 reason they might only carry 3-4 Ss if either Ryan or Arrington show ability to flex either way.

Overall good gorup of UDFA's this year but we've said this in previous years too only to have the cut in under a year. Some UDFA's flash then fizzle and we'll have to see how these kids hold up.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Loved Tyms fight for the ball. It's something we didn't see from Thompkins, Boyce, or Dobson last year. He's had a couple good games but I want to see him against #1's and 2's. The good thing is he doesn't take up a roster spot until week 5 so they can keep him on the roster and postpone the decision for now. But, his size and ability looks intriguing enough to the point if he continues weeks 1-4 might become extended interviews for Boyce and Thompkins and the loser gets the boot. Tyms also isn't a rook so he should stay fresh all year, esp only playing 12 games this year.

Finch is going to make the team if he has a repeat performance of last week. BB has been looking for a KR for a long time and starting Finch twice in that role, even after 2 fumbles in the first game means BB sees something. Everyone knows BB treats STs players like starters on O/D so if he feels he finally found a way to fix the KR issue we've had for years he'll find a way to keep him on the team.

Butler has been the shock of the preseason and 1 reason they might only carry 3-4 Ss if either Ryan or Arrington show ability to flex either way.

Overall good gorup of UDFA's this year but we've said this in previous years too only to have the cut in under a year. Some UDFA's flash then fizzle and we'll have to see how these kids hold up.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

I think that Finch is in a battle with Boyce for a spot:  Whomever sticks will be the KR.  I would like to see both guys make it.  I like Finch, and I think it's too soon to give up on Boyce, but I just don't think there is space for both guys on the 53 Man Roster.  For now, I'll stick with Boyce, but it's getting harder to feel good about that choice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Agree Tyms is far from being a lock. BUT - if he continues to play like he has he could go from being on the bubble to being one of our top 2 WRs in terms of targets.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/08/four_potential_patriots_roster_locks_we_didnt_see.html

Who are the roster locks?

"

Right around the start of camp, we introduced a little exercise meant to determine some of the most sneaky important members of the Pats summer roster. Now that the Pats are halfway through their preseason slate, we can shift gears a little bit and examine what players have sneaked up on us and made themselves legit candidates to start the season against the Dolphins on the 53-man roster. There's still plenty of time for moves to be made and the first round of cuts have yet to take place. But should any of the following names wind up making the trip to Miami, don't be surprised.

Brian Tyms, WR: Quick, if you had the choice of Tyms or second-year man Josh Boyce to fill out the Pats receiving corps, who would it be? You're entitled to your opinion but the correct answer is Tyms, who has accomplished more in three weeks of training camp than Boyce has in over a year. Tyms added another TD reception to his list of summer accomplishments on Friday night, this one a leaping grab of a high toss from Ryan Mallett which required the 6-3 receiver to go well up and over Eagles corner Curtis Marsh and snare the ball at its highest point. Tyms, who brought to mind another tall, rangy receiver from the Pats not too distant past on that play, has eight catches for 146 yards and two scores in two preseason games and has even seen some run with Tom Brady and the first-teamers during practice, a stunner given the former undrafted free agent's road to Foxborough. Tyms' size makes him an intriguing red zone option as well as a enticing potential target for Brady outside the numbers, two areas which, along with free agent import Brandon LaFell, make him an ideal complement to the Pats multitude of receiving threats in the middle of the field. The fact that Tyms must serve a four-game suspension to start the season will ultimately help him as the Pats won't have to make a decision on his roster status until after the Week 4 Monday nighter in Kansas City. Plenty of time for Boyce to continue proving that Tyms should take his place among the Pats pass catchers.

Jordan Devey, OL: Devey, a former undrafted free agent who cut his teeth on the Pats practice squad last season, played every last one of the team's 91 offensive snaps in Friday night's win over the Eagles, inserting himself seriously into the discussion regarding one of the most competitive, intriguing position battles of training camp. He's can play both guard and tackle which instantly makes him an appealing option for a roster spot given the Pats love of versatility in their offensive linemen. There's still a long way to go for Devey given the presence of veterans Ryan Wendell, Dan Connolly, Josh Kline and Marcus Cannon and draft picks Jon Halapio, Cameron Fleming and Bryan Stork. But now that Stork's absence has passed the the two-week mark thanks to an injury, the relative inexperience of Halapio and Fleming, and Devey's multi-faceted skill set, his chances of beating the odds and making the team feel pretty good.

Roy Finch, RB/KR: Probably the longest shot of this group to make the team, Finch has still turned enough heads thus far to give some real weight to his candidacy. He's a dynamic threat out of the backfield whose running style is fast, tough and elusive all at once. He practically jumped through the TV screen during the win over the Eagles, combining for 71 yards rushing and receiving on just nine touches and scoring a 10-yard TD on the ground. He also posted a couple of impressive kick returns and while he did seem a bit lost in pass protection at times, that's a skill most rookies struggle with and can be worked out. Finch could be in danger of getting caught in a numbers game; he's not going to beat out Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen or even fellow rookie James White for a job. If there's a place for a fourth running back, it''s going to come down to Finch vs. third-year man Brandon Bolden, who had been invisible all summer until ripping off a handful of rushing attempts at seven yards a pop on Friday. The safest bet for Finch at the moment would be the practice squad. But keep an eye on him. He's a potentially a dangerous, versatile weapon.

Malcolm Butler, CB: The non-sneakiest of the group, Butler has been the darling of training camp and is well established on the radar screen. He continued his impressive, playmaking work against the Eagles, forcing a fumble then recovering it seconds later and adding in an end zone pass breakup as well. Butler has played more snaps than any other member of the defense in the Pats two preseason games thus far and considering both Brandon Browner's impending suspension as well as the team's use of traditional corners Kyle Arrington and Logan Ryan at safety at times, the undrafted rookie out of West Alabama feels like not only a lock to make the team but to see some significant regular season game action as well.

"

Very well thought out post. I agree with most everything. Not too sure about Devery because honestly I didnt get a look at the line that much. I still need to rewatch as I watched with friends and couldnt concentrate.

If I had to choose today, I would likely choose Tims over Boyce. I do like Boyce but time waits for no man. Just as I said at the start of camp, potential does not make the team over production. 2 TDs and an a no fear attitude and the fact he has caught on so quickly may spell Doom for Boyce. He has to have a whale of the game this friday plus show more on kickoffs to make it IMO. Boyce is helped by the fact that Tyms is not available for 4 games and Boyce still has p/s eligibility so keep that in mind.

R.Finch is interesting cuz he has given you the good and bad every game. He is quick and has good enough hands to be a pass catching back. He has put on the ground a couple times. He looks like the best returner so far but is a bit redundant as a scat back. I had him possibly making it but Bolden came on strong vs the Eagles and may be back in the mix and Bolden plays s/t too. This one comes to need IMO. Pats need a bigger back in their stable, I go w/Bolden today but that can change.

M.Butler like you said, isnt really an unkonwn anymore. I noticed him first camp I attended some weeks back. Just looked like a natural and competes his tail off. He isnt that big but you cant tell when he plays. Even the passes he has given up, he is right there in coverage. Mature for a rookie and not scared of the moment. The fact that he has played more than any other DB and has been in with the 1s tells me BB wants to get a real good look because he is gonna cut a decent player to keep him IMO. I think his extended time means they plan on using him early on in the D while Browner is out. He has been the surprise of camp, I agree.

The last guy I will talk about who wasnt mentioned was J.Thomas(far from a lock).  This pick was very intriguing to me when they made it. He is likely a better version of T.Wilson. A jack of all trades guy who looks more NFL ready than Tavon did. I like his attitude and he looked pretty good on the field. He is starting late but I like his potential. Secondary spots are slim but I could see him making the p/s if not the 53 man roster over one of the incumbent safeties as there is nothing special there. Id like to see J.Thomas in favor of Wilson who doesnt do it for me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

people casually forgetting how many balls Tyms drops in practice....

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

[object HTMLDivElement]

About as many as Thompkins and Boyce so not sure it's forget as much as he's no worse than the other options

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

Agreed, Boyce hasn't been as good as Tyms in games but he certainly hasn't been bad like Finch was in game one.  Every year we latch onto a practice squad WR like Bam Childress or Nunn who does well and every year they don't make the team and fade into obscurity.  

Boyce is the fastest guy on our team, he will end up being the best kick returner, he made some good plays already this preseason and it's not over.  Dobson may get put on the injured list to start the season which will open a roster spot but don't write Boyce off just yet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

Agreed, Boyce hasn't been as good as Tyms in games but he certainly hasn't been bad like Finch was in game one.  Every year we latch onto a practice squad WR like Bam Childress or Nunn who does well and every year they don't make the team and fade into obscurity.  

Boyce is the fastest guy on our team, he will end up being the best kick returner, he made some good plays already this preseason and it's not over.  Dobson may get put on the injured list to start the season which will open a roster spot but don't write Boyce off just yet.

Agree.  It's way too early to give up on Boyce.  I'm saying he makes it and Finch gets cut.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Agree Tyms is far from being a lock. BUT - if he continues to play like he has he could go from being on the bubble to being one of our top 2 WRs in terms of targets.

If he makes the team, it will really depend on Brady's comfort level.  Most of the passes during the pre-season targeted for Tyms probably came from Mallett or Jimmy G.  I have no idea how many times Brady has targeted Tyms - altho, I'm sure someone will post that info.

Bottom line is that Brady and Tyms have a lot of work to do together...as do all the WRs on this roster

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

You bring up some good points here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

I wonder if Tyms has ever had a go at returning kicks or punts? He may be fast, but quick feet is just as important for returns.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

It's ok if Tyms drops them in practice.  He seems to catch his fair share in preseason action.  I think Butler has to be a lock.  He's been a gem of a find by BB.  Rex Ryan wishes he had a Malcolm Butler in his putrid secondary.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Has Boyce had a chance to return any kicks in the games?  Seems like Finch has been getting most of the attempts, but I may have missed Boyce if he's done it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Wasn't that finch that just moved out of the way on the Mallet sack.  I didn't get the players  number at all but it looked like a tiny back that moved inside when the rush came from the outside.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

Wasn't that finch that just moved out of the way on the Mallet sack.  I didn't get to players number at all but it looked like a tiny back that moved inside when the rush came from the outside.  

Yes it was a very glaring mistake. I know they say most rookie backs struggle in pass pro, but it was pretty obvious. You take the "free Rusher" everytime, regardless of your responsibility. It is preseason though, so he will continue to get a chance to show his stuff

Interesting roster moves to come w/Finch, Tyms, Boyce, Bolden who are all related. Do the pats want to carry an extra back or WR, who plays special teams and who is most likely to clear waivers will all be factored in.

Sections
Shortcuts