Roth

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

Roth

According to rotoworld.com:

Free agent OLB Matt Roth has reportedly let teams know that he's available for a one-year, $3 million contract.

Roth, who like Bryant McKinnie is repped by Drew Rosenhaus, sent out an email informing all 32 NFL teams of his asking price. The Saints, Broncos, Cardinals, and Patriots at various points have been rumored to have interest. Roth is a good, young player, so it's unclear why he's struggled so much to find a team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxpowers034. Show maxpowers034's posts

Re: Roth

He could be next, a mangini protege and played in a 3-4 he fits the mold good

60maxpowero.com great Patriots stuff

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's how the negotiations went with Roth and BB:

"I'm going to take a nap. If that $3 million is on the table when I awake, I know I have a partner. If it isn't, I know I don't." 

LOL!!!   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Ha

A 3-4 that has Ellis-Wilfork-Wright at ends (with Haynesworth and Warren as monster ends every now and then) and Roth - Mayo - Spikes - Cunningham (with Nink at OLB every now and then) would be a nice crew to have.

Roth over Fletcher thats for sure.

Then you play your mostly 4-3 defense with Anderson/Carter/Cunningham and Moore as rush DE's, and all that beef in the middle w/ Wilfork, Haynesworth and Warren. Wright/Ellis can even be DT's every now and then.

Then its Mayo-Spikes-Guyton at LB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

hmm.. wonder why he is still available?

we did work him out - right? Guess BB was not impressed !

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mississippipatfan. Show mississippipatfan's posts

From my understading, we had a deal in place for him.  Roth then turn around and raised his price.  Hopefully, we can get him if he is willing to discuss his salary.  i do not know what we offered him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

i think hes trying to bargain for the best price with a contender. i dont know our offer will be as much as the others, but then ellis got 4 mil with an extra mil incentive.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

How many more defensife lineman de we need to sign?

If we sign anymore defensive players, on a practical level  should the team start looking at linebackers and defensive backfield? 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

LOL, TexasPat..

Simply not enough Hyman Roth jokes nowadays...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

BB is seriously overhauling this D. In BB we trust !

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In Response to Re: Roth:
    [QUOTE]LOL, TexasPat.. Simply not enough Hyman Roth jokes nowadays...
    Posted by OscarGamble[/QUOTE]

Watched The Godfather and The Godfather II last Saturday, great films...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roth : Watched The Godfather and The Godfather II last Saturday, great films...

Posted by BostonSportsFan111[/QUOTE]

Yup, Mob Week on American Movie Classics.

It was about 108 degrees here in Houston on Saturday so I spent the bulk of my afternoon flippin' back and forth between the RS/Yankees and those two great flicks. Actually think I'm beginning to like Godfather II more than the original.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]It has more to do with money than being "impressed".  They like Roth according to the reports. Apparently NE had a price he was ok with and then he shopped it around and now wants the Lawson type money. The more time goes by, the more his price will have to come down. Negotiating 101. If he does love the 3-4, he won't be going to Arizona, Seattle or New Orleans. Or Denver, for that matter. I think BB knows he has the leverage on price here. I do find it interesting he wants a 1 year deal, clearly telling teams he'll use them for a shift in the market in the 2010 FA period.  If I am Rosenhaus, I don't advertise it that way. Roth is clearly talented and would be a beast in the 3-4 alignment here, now that Ellis and Haynesworth have signed on. BB just paid Ellis 4 mil for his last season, essentially to play some spot roles in different alignments, so Roth would be in a similar role at OLB.  But, now he's not a 4-3 DE option here with Andre Carter in the mix. 3 mil is a tad too high. NE is obviously under 3 mil per if that offer is even still there. This D would be loaded beyond belief if he came on board, though. It's already arguably the best and deepest Front 7 in the AFC if not the NFL. This add would make it that much better and more versatile. Just offer 2 mil for 2011 and then  just sell him on the idea that people like Ellis and Carter aren't going to be around past 2012. Then, work in an higher salary in the next 2 years of a deal. Something like that.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Agreed

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

I was hopeful with (Tye) Warren and Bodden returning (from injury).  Now, the game has really changed!  Honestly, I'm as excited to watch the defense play as I have been to watch Brady & Co. go to work.

Best Owner
    Best Coach
    Best Players
    Best Fans

Wicked.  Let's go for it!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]It has more to do with money than being "impressed".  They like Roth according to the reports. Apparently NE had a price he was ok with and then he shopped it around and now wants the Lawson type money. The more time goes by, the more his price will have to come down. Negotiating 101. If he does love the 3-4, he won't be going to Arizona, Seattle or New Orleans. Or Denver, for that matter. I think BB knows he has the leverage on price here. I do find it interesting he wants a 1 year deal, clearly telling teams he'll use them for a shift in the market in the 2010 FA period.  If I am Rosenhaus, I don't advertise it that way. Roth is clearly talented and would be a beast in the 3-4 alignment here, now that Ellis and Haynesworth have signed on. BB just paid Ellis 4 mil for his last season, essentially to play some spot roles in different alignments, so Roth would be in a similar role at OLB.  But, now he's not a 4-3 DE option here with Andre Carter in the mix. 3 mil is a tad too high. NE is obviously under 3 mil per if that offer is even still there. This D would be loaded beyond belief if he came on board, though. It's already arguably the best and deepest Front 7 in the AFC if not the NFL. This add would make it that much better and more versatile. Just offer 2 mil for 2011 and then  just sell him on the idea that people like Ellis and Carter aren't going to be around past 2012. Then, work in an higher salary in the next 2 years of a deal. Something like that.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUO

Honestly Rusty that post makes no sense.  You say they signed Ellis for 4 million for some "spot" play and that Roth would be a "beast" here for the price of 3 million.

So why do you not sign the "beast" for 3 million instead of spending 4 million on a "spot" player?????

I don't see them signing Roth here at this point with all he bodies they have and someone out there will give him 3 million for 1 season.  Don't be surpirsed if he doesn't end back up in Cleveland for that money for another year. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]Beacause they needed a DE now that they cut Ty Warren. Depends on how it all shakes out, but to maximize players like Ellis or even Haynesworth, they probably won't be 3 down players. So, yes, spot players. Ellis has versatility and you needed a DE.  Pretty simple, so it makes plenty of sense. And Roth has himself overpriced in the market now.  BB moved on Andre Carter as well, so that probably leaves Roth out now. Also, I said Roth would be a beast on the edge here NOW THAT WILFORK AND HAYNESWORTH are together. That's what I said. No one would be running on the edge of this was a 3-4 lineup: Roth, Ellis, Wilfork, Hanyesworth, Cunningham                Spikes, Mayo That would probably be the best defensed front 7 in the AFC.

I get you said he would be a beast with VW and Haynesworth.  My point was why spend the 4 million on Ellis at this point instead of Roth.  Is 3 million really pricing himself out of this market?  I guess I can't understand how 4 million isn't to much for Ellis and 3 million is for Roth.  They signed Carter and Anderson as well.  I just dont see why they needed Ellis at 4 million when they had those guys instead of Roth at 3 million. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

The agents of these level players are only going for 1 yr deals.

It really comes down to Cap Spece and the CASH space.
    Every team has to layout so much, and also have reserves for
    in season injuries.

Based upon where the Pats roster is Roth would be the last piece.
    If he fits within in the team parameters of the Cap and Cash space
    I have no problem w/ 3m or 4m

I think the D was constantly getting better thru the last year
    I think the Dline wore out in the Jets game
    I think there were some awful Offense and Special team mistakes

I sort of like the 3/4 - BB knows the 4/3 as well as
    anyone (NYG) and I think BB obviusly does too.

Only BB knows how much 3/4 and 4/3 he will use.
    And BB's 3/4 is different than everybody elses.

I think we will see everything this year-
    And it will really screw up the opposing QB's

I will also be interested to see where the Pats will end up with
    the average age of the Team. they are beginning to get long withTB
    sndf the DLine with the new adds are not young and a few of the Rb's
    are older

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[QUOTE]Beacause they needed a DE now that they cut Ty Warren. Depends on how it all shakes out, but to maximize players like Ellis or even Haynesworth, they probably won't be 3 down players. So, yes, spot players. Ellis has versatility and you needed a DE.  Pretty simple, so it makes plenty of sense. And Roth has himself overpriced in the market now.  BB moved on Andre Carter as well, so that probably leaves Roth out now. Also, I said Roth would be a beast on the edge here NOW THAT WILFORK AND HAYNESWORTH are together. That's what I said. No one would be running on the edge of this was a 3-4 lineup: Roth, Ellis, Wilfork, Hanyesworth, Cunningham                Spikes, Mayo That would probably be the best defensed front 7 in the AFC.

Exactly!  The Hainsworth-Wilfork combo is now worth the price of admission!   

Not only does the Ellis deal take away a key opponent's defensive major component- it gives the Pats a missing weapon.  Personally, I was shocked when the Pats cut Warren..must have had a line on a few replacements.    I just wonder if one of them might have been Ellis at that time.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Got to admit I'm getting tired of all this 43/34 stuff (and I thought they should of went 43 last year). I think what Bill is doing is really simple (it's what he always strives to do)...add good players - big, experienced, talented guys...that he can work with. He's finding guys that are coming at a reasonable price and he will construct this defense to fit them - not what he may prefer to run or has a history of, but what fits their talent. He has no choice but to do it this way, because the guys he needs to run the 34 are not on this roster and despite a history of not forcing personnel into schemes...they've had to do it a bit the past 3 years.

You wouldn't hear of this team signing some of the guys they've added this offseason on defense. I like this approach...get the best players available and adapt. Roth wasn't the first guy they brought in and he's still not on the team. They aren't letting the market force them into anything right now and the defense will be better for it.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]"Patsman 3", thanks for registering recently. Because they released Ty Warren. I just said that. They see more value in the DE spot in a 3-4 and the fact he can play interior 4-3. Meanwhile, Roth, while a very good run stopper as a mostly an OLB 3-4, Plus, if you value the DE Ellis move more, that limits what you can pay a Roth, especially if you want also increase competition at the 4-3 starter or sub rush role by paying/adding ANderson and Carter. Roth upped his price, which is apparently, 3 million, which leads one to believe NE figured they could budget for him under that number, not wanting to wait for that with Roth. I still think he'd be a great addition to lock down a 3-4 set at OLB, but if he's playing games, I always want BB to call the bluff. Team first. It could be Roth is adamant on the 3 mil number and is willing to sit around. If so, so be it. Ellis is a good move as are Anderson and Carter, to see which players fall where in the mix. They didn't have a starting DE outside of a recovering Ron Brace or a concussed Mike Wright.  With Gerard Warren they could have, but felt Ellis was more versatile and has the deeper 3-4 experience.  So, they add both under the cap. As if this is an issue? Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Does when you register matter?  I was away for about 4 months and when I came back my old username Patsman2 wouldn't work anymore so i create a new one with such a dramatic change that no one would realize who I was.  I bet I didn't fool ol Rusty thou.

Sections
Shortcuts